Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

tokenism or not, charlamagne the god was pushing for a black vp pick a few days ago in an interview.  i'm sure there are plenty of black people that feel the same.

would someone like warren cause them to vote for trump?  of course not.  would it cause them to sit out?  i seriously doubt it.  but it's out there.

warren, kamala, demmings - those are my preferences in no particular order.  warren would be my #1 if i knew biden was going to step down a few weeks into his presidency.  i don't think any of those are a drag on the ticket, and i think they all have various upside:

warren - best name recognition, seems most ready to actually be president

kamala - good name recognition, presidential enough (in my opinion), age appropriate

demmings - from a swing state that is very close, and florida could clinch a biden win

all 3 are tough and smart, and bring a lot of heat at the bottom of the ticket.  pretty much the opposite of what we had in 2016.

• Like 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

all 3 are tough and smart, and bring a lot of heat at the bottom of the ticket.  pretty much the opposite of what we had in 2016.

This is a good point. Kaine was a completely uninspiring pick, and added little value. The candidates currently under consideration are much better (outside of Klobuchar, lol). 

I know Biden is old as fuck, but playing the game of "who is the best VP if Joe croaks/falls ill" seems foolish to me. It's like picking a head coach-in-waiting. Shit rarely works out the way you hope it will. Let's not put the cart before the horse. 

Biden is the presidential nominee. They should campaign with him as the #1, not 1A to the Vice President's 1B. Let's make sure he's President for the next 4 years and worry about health considerations or 2024 later. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know Biden is old as fuck, but playing the game of "who is the best VP if Joe croaks/falls ill" seems foolish to me. It's like picking a head coach-in-waiting. Shit rarely works out the way you hope it will. Let's not put the cart before the horse. 

Biden is the presidential nominee. They should campaign with him as the #1, not 1A to the Vice President's 1B. Let's make sure he's President for the next 4 years and worry about health considerations or 2024 later. 

Agree with this and I also think it's stupid to presume that the VP will be the nominee in 2024.  The field will be deep again if Biden only has one term.

• Like 1

A year ago we were like, “Excluding Bernie, the winner and runner up of the primary should run on the same ticket to maximize the likelihood of success against Trump!”  

Now, during a global pandemic and economic crash, we’re like, “tell me more about Val Demming and the lady from Michigan that no one has ever heard of!” 

This is why democrats suck at politics and Republicans laugh at our hand wringing with identity politics.  Can’t even agree on obvious strategy. Gotta overthink everything with 3D chess and lose to the team that puts up a moron and piece of cardboard as running mate. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

i agree when it comes to how the vp should be selected.

but right now, "he's fucking old and senile and it's so sad and his family really should put him in a home because this is hard to watch and he doesn't know where he is" is pretty much the only gop talking point about biden.  and if he were to select someone who is very clearly underqualified (none of the main options are, but whatever) then it would certainly be used as an argument.  "biden is 100 years old and confused, do you really want stacy abrams as our next president?!?!?!?" would definitely be a facebook post/tweet coming from the concern-trolling right.

getting to choose between warren/kamala types is, in my opinion, an embarrassment of riches.  it is hard to fuck this up.  and if some dems are secretly nervous about biden's mental capacity, having a capable backup will quell these fears.

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Who was saying that? 

One or more of the jimmies and I. 

Still a great strategy to unify the most successful primary campaigns both for fundraising and organizing capabilities.  Whoever gets picked gets picked.  I’m already sick of this debate and convinced many on twitter/media don’t give a shit if Trump wins again.  Just arguing to argue. 

36 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One or more of the jimmies and I. 

Still a great strategy to unify the most successful primary campaigns both for fundraising and organizing capabilities.  Whoever gets picked gets picked.  I’m already sick of this debate and convinced many on twitter/media don’t give a shit if Trump wins again.  Just arguing to argue. 

Won't disagree with that. You are obviously a huge Warren supporter and there understandably seems to be an emotional attachment with your argument. I never cared for Kamala during the primary, and IMO my guy (Buttigieg) would be a terrible VP selection for Biden if he was theoretically in the running. 

Biden won the nomination with a below average campaign and poor organizing capabilities. I think this upcoming election is an outlier and you can throw away the typical beliefs on how to win. Whether we like it or not voters have clearly spoken that 2020 is a referendum on Trump, and I think Biden should pick whoever he thinks can boost voter turnout. That should practically be the only qualification. My gut says Kamala. If his campaign thinks it's Warren, go for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Warren ran a terrible campaign, finished in like 5th place, and even got smoked in her home state of MA by a crazy old man in Bernie Sanders. She does little to strengthen the Biden ticket in swing states, and is not going to energize people to come out.

At least with Harris you have someone younger and the prospect of a minority being one step away from the Presidency is sure to entice at least a few blacks, Hispanics, Indo/Paks, and Asians.

Or what is 3rd behind Biden and Bernie.  Again, for the 1000th time, historically, a veep pick isn't going to have a regional reach so nobody is going to help in more than one state, and that's generally not very big -- 1-2% in a good cycle.  Generally minority picks (Ferraro, Palin -- detriment, Lieberman, etc) have no impact on inspiring said minority.  However, mostly middle aged to old white males run for President or VP, so not much to sample.  Harris did little to inspire minorities to support her when she was running for the nomination so expecting her to have a major impact on getting the minority vote out seems presumptuous.  *shrugs.  Maybe Biden's team has different polling data though.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Warren's too fucking old to run with a guy who's too fucking old.

Plus, she's too smart to be wasted in the position. Let her get shit done.  He's be able to capitalize on her just as much by touting her as the future Secretary of ____________ as he would touting her as VP.

Duck!

@Hugo Stiglitz

But I do agree with you, tantric - Warren would be more useful and effective as Attorney General.

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Isn't Klobs mixed up in the Minneapolis killing somehow? (Haven't followed it close enough to know whether the assertion is BS or not)?

Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar-declined-prosecute-officer-183728902.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

https://news.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar-declined-prosecute-officer-183728902.html

Fits with her public persona. 

Kamala's people needs to be scouring any decisions she made to forego prosecution of a law enforcement officer. 

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

IMO, I think there are more Progressives to court than there are black voters that need to be convinced to come out for the only black president’s VP. 

Progressives in name only may think Warren is the cat's meow. The vast majority prefer someone other than an ophidian.

Kamala has embraced progressive views in several areas since the nomination process ended. She will bring in the majority of progressives with her refreshed views of what it was like to grow up in the shadows. She is the right pick. 

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Agreed - probably knows she's the frontrunner and doesn't want to jeopardize it. 

It’s almost certain that by now Biden’s people have informed the pick that she is the pick, and have probably instructed her on exactly how to act until it’s made public.  

The right move is to have the one who won’t be picked vocally supporting Biden now, so that win the pick is made public there’s more of an appearance of coalition.  The public teamwork of Warren with Biden to me points to that.  Of course I could be totally wrong and since Warren and Biden have political differences, it may behoove them to have some lead on her merging if she’s going to be VP.

Regardless, at this point I’d be very very surprised if it weren’t Harris (55%) or Warren (44%).