Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

I think this week's happenings in America changes the overall math of the situation.  The civil unrest with the anger of the African American community seems like a situation which can't be ignored.  Biden's given himself plenty of runway but I have to think this week strengthens the cases for:

Harris and Rice a little.

Demings a ton.

And a sudden growth stock in Keisha Lance Bottoms

I haven't seen Abrams out front on this although I'm sure she's doing her part but I think Lance Bottoms may have supplanted her if they pick a Georgian for the race.

Through no real fault of their own, this hurts Warren or Baldwin or Duckworth's cases.

On 5/28/2020 at 2:55 PM, 6th Street said:

Warren ran a terrible campaign, finished in like 5th place, and even got smoked in her home state of MA by a crazy old man in Bernie Sanders. She does little to strengthen the Biden ticket in swing states, and is not going to energize people to come out.

At least with Harris you have someone younger and the prospect of a minority being one step away from the Presidency is sure to entice at least a few blacks, Hispanics, Indo/Paks, and Asians.

I prefer Warren personally, but I'd be fine with Harris.

I personally don't see how one can use Warren's campaign run against her while in the same post endorsing someone who ran a worse campaign, dropped out earlier, and finished behind Warren.  Biden's one-and-done 2008 primary didn't stop him from being Obama's pick.

Edited by Tom

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

1st and goal At the 2

HC joe Biden subs in for a power RB.

her name? Harris. Kamala Harris.

Sure, but if Biden calls for Russell Wilson to throw it rather than hand it off, it doesn't really help.

29 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Going with Bottoms feels like an athletic department running off a fairly successful basketball corch to replace him with an unproven one whose team happened to get hot in the tourney for a couple of games. 

It's like Notre Dame hiring a high school coach to lead them out on to the field in Football.  And yes, they did that.

I like what Bottoms has done so far and think she has a bright future.  But you cant drop a mayor into the ticket with a guy who might not finish his term. 

I was not a Warren fan but I think, no matter what is going on right now, race is going to play a huge role in this and running with Harris could backfire.  This coming from a former life long republican who voted in my first election in 88.  No matter who Biden picks, in voting for him and actively campaigning. He could pick Satan himself and I'm still in. 

I'm looking at the long term ramifications here and that includes the very real chance that Joe has to step down at some point during his 1st term.  He's not getting a second one.  I also dont think his VP is a slam dunk for running in 2024.  So go safe, pick Warren, make sure she knows that if Joe goes out early in his term, she might only be a place holder. 

Some of yall need to forget what things look like amongst your liberal friends that you only talk to and remember that there is a sizable conservative minority that can still wreck shit. 

8 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

It's like Notre Dame hiring a high school coach to lead them out on to the field in Football.  And yes, they did that.

I like what Bottoms has done so far and think she has a bright future.  But you cant drop a mayor into the ticket with a guy who might not finish his term. 

I was not a Warren fan but I think, no matter what is going on right now, race is going to play a huge role in this and running with Harris could backfire.  This coming from a former life long republican who voted in my first election in 88.  No matter who Biden picks, in voting for him and actively campaigning. He could pick Satan himself and I'm still in. 

I'm looking at the long term ramifications here and that includes the very real chance that Joe has to step down at some point during his 1st term.  He's not getting a second one.  I also dont think his VP is a slam dunk for running in 2024.  So go safe, pick Warren, make sure she knows that if Joe goes out early in his term, she might only be a place holder. 

Some of yall need to forget what things look like amongst your liberal friends that you only talk to and remember that there is a sizable conservative minority that can still wreck shit. 

i still maintain there's a real possibility that joe doesn't finish his term by choice.  that he gets shit in place behind the scenes and steps down 6-18 months after he gets sworn in.  he wins, trump is gone, he's served his purpose.  now let people who are up to the job do the job, and let joe ride off into the sunset.  nobody needs to deal with this fucking job into their 80's.

if it's kamala or warren, i think they become the presumptive nominee in '24, providing the world doesn't end before that.

His thesis comes down to this.... 

Now, his voters under 30 data is likely pulled from the primaries where Bernie dominated that segment so there is some thought she'd do well across that age ribbon, but this is the case against her.  That and her age.  He said, electoral sense.... it may make perfect moral or intellectual sense.

Still think she's in the top 3, but probably 3rd behind Harris and Demings and now we have the Hotlanta mayor moving up the list.  Klo and Whitmer out.  Unless there's a total surprise, the picture is getting clearer.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

among the democrats who aren't already voting for biden

this phrase seems a little misleading.  i understand his reasoning, but he acts like there are registered dems who are definitely voting in this election who have already decided they're not voting for biden.  i think it's a different way of saying "warren hasn't shown to excel with the demos that biden is also lagging with".

Not sure if Harris will be a plus or negative in the overall picture on civil rights and police/prosecutorial abuse.   By that I mean, does she shore up the worried whites that a black veep is not a radical left black woman and not 'soft on crime'  or does she dis-incentivize black/left dems with her record?   Sleep Joe not making it 4 years is a decided factor in this one.

I'm thinking of more a Clinton Sista Solja moment - say what you want, you should be able to count on large black turnout whomever you pick for veep when the option is Trump. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Now, his voters under 30 data is likely pulled from the primaries where Bernie dominated that segment so there is some thought she'd do well across that age ribbon, but this is the case against her.  That and her age.  He said, electoral sense.... it may make perfect moral or intellectual sense.

Still think she's in the top 3, but probably 3rd behind Harris and Demings and now we have the Hotlanta mayor moving up the list.  Klo and Whitmer out.  Unless there's a total surprise, the picture is getting clearer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i've seen no evidence that trump is in better physical or mental health than joe biden.

Oh, I totally agree.  But from what I've seen from his camp I think that will be a theme.   I know some Trumpkins irl who are starting to beat that drum, and they certainly do not come up with such thoughts on their own, given Dottard's health issues.   Some FB or Talk Radio or Blogs are giving them the earworm for the week.  Could be wrong.

33 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Oh, I totally agree.  But from what I've seen from his camp I think that will be a theme.   I know some Trumpkins irl who are starting to beat that drum, and they certainly do not come up with such thoughts on their own, given Dottard's health issues.   Some FB or Talk Radio or Blogs are giving them the earworm for the week.  Could be wrong.

it’s their only talking point and it’s been going on for months. should definitely help trump with the olds. 

23 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The very first sentence of this is wrong.  Ok, second sentence.  Massachusetts has a Dem super majority at the state level and would just make a rule that the governor has to replace her with another Dem. 

Edited by Biff Tannen

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

This is like asking, “Which team would you like to play first in the playoffs?“

Can’t imagine how the Republicans would campaign against a black woman. I’m sure they would be very respectful and not exploit it at all. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

He's not going to pick a young mayor when everyone is expecting his eventual pick to take over for him. That would be a pointless hail mary pass when you're ahead 14 points late in the 4th

It's going to be someone safe, experienced, and widely regarded to be capable of taking over for Joe right away if need be. That's not a young mayor or a state legislator. That pretty much leaves Harris or Warren. Demmings possibly but I don't think she's well enough known.

• Like 1

On June 3, 2020 at 7:54 AM, Orale said:

He's not going to pick a young mayor when everyone is expecting his eventual pick to take over for him. That would be a pointless hail mary pass when you're ahead 14 points late in the 4th

It's going to be someone safe, experienced, and widely regarded to be capable of taking over for Joe right away if need be. That's not a young mayor or a state legislator. That pretty much leaves Harris or Warren. Demmings possibly but I don't think she's well enough known.

Sounds like you just described Susan Rice.

It’s not going to be warren. I love her, she’s amazing. But it won’t be an old white woman to replace an old white man. I have to think with recent events Rice and her Benghazi connections become less of a concern. And I’d be ok with Val Demmings. I think her police background suddenly matters a lot more and brings something to the table. Bottoms is a mistake, it’s too soon. Kamala Harris feels like the safest pick, but by many moderates she’s seen as a radical and a hair away from AOC. Does that matter? I’m not sure, the right will likely try to demonize whoever Biden would pick as a radical, angry black woman. You guys tell me. 

ive said it before and I’ll keep beating that drum, put warren in charge of the Fed and take off her leash. That’s a massive, massive problem she can absolutely fix that would have huge ramifications on us as a country. Put her in charge of all financial reform in this country which we sorely need. Tax code, corporate taxes, anything touching monetary policy. Shit anything even remotely related to monetary policy she wants to be involved in, including healthcare reform or even college loans/repayment/financing. Let her have a heavy hand in all the financial bills and laws constructed in the next 2 terms if she’s still alive.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Obviously Warren's motto is having a plan for everything, but some people don't think this is a good look. 

Meh.... people get stupid about wanting credit for legislation.  Take the best parts of each plan (she's had some very good ideas on police reform in the past, FWIW) and merge them and have them co-sponsor.  Kamala's got issues with her conduct and resume' with police action and reform as it is.  As long as they work together and get the best parts of their bills in, it's better legisilation.

On 6/5/2020 at 6:40 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Kamala Harris feels like the safest pick, but by many moderates she’s seen as a radical and a hair away from AOC.

I liked your post, and I think I'm pretty moderate, and never really thought this at all.  I just may not have been looking too closely.

32 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I liked your post, and I think I'm pretty moderate, and never really thought this at all.  I just may not have been looking too closely.

It wasn’t my reaction to her either, but then I asked several moderates and right leaning types what they think. They have that opinion of her, and they’re mostly reasonable folks, so I am assuming it’s fairly widespread.

Weird how every poll on this over the past two months says the same damn thing:

https://medium.com/@IndivisibleTeam/the-indivisible-choice-for-vice-president-ae4711e6746b

B5E74D5A-9D41-459A-8E88-B7CCDDD4A471_zps

Methodology

From May 28 to June 3, Indivisible ran a survey of its supporters to measure enthusiasm for Vice President Biden’s potential choices for his running mate. We heard from 20,767 respondents from all fifty states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and members of the Armed Forces.

The survey provided respondents with a choice of 8 pre-determined candidates. The 8 candidates are all women, in recognition of Vice President Biden’s public commitment to name a woman as his running mate. The names listed are the individuals who have been most frequently discussed as potential choices in the media and among party activists.

Warren tops the rankings

The results clearly show that Senator Elizabeth Warren is the number one choice for Vice President among Indivisible supporters. Of the over 20,000 responses we received, 41% identified the Massachusetts senator as the first choice for Vice President Biden’s running mate. California Senator Kamala Harris came in second with 21% identifying her as the first choice, followed closely by former Georgia State Assembly Minority Leader Stacey Abrams with 18%.

Warren also received the most votes overall in the ranking of respondents’ first, second, and third choice for Vice President among the eight possible candidates, with 67% of respondents placing her in their top three.

Among former Democratic presidential candidates, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar performed the worst, with only 7% of respondents identifying her as their first choice for Vice President.

These national trends were also present in many of Biden’s must-win battleground states. In Arizona, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and more, Warren led the pack, demonstrating deep popularity with the communities of activists that will help Biden carry these states in the fall.

More than any other choice, Warren mobilizes voters for Biden

We asked survey respondents to tell us how each possible choice would impact their likelihood to volunteer and/or donate to Vice President Biden’s campaign. Again, the results were clear: more than any other potential candidate for Vice President, Senator Warren will mobilize progressive community leaders and activists to help elect Joe Biden.

46% of respondents indicated that the selection of Senator Warren would make them more likely to volunteer and/or donate to the Biden campaign. Both former State Rep. Abrams and Senator Harris followed behind Warren with 32% and 31% of respondents indicating that they would be more likely to volunteer/donate if they were chosen, respectively.

This question also revealed that Senator Klobuchar had the highest negatives of any possible selection for running mate, with 26% of respondents saying that they would be less likely to volunteer and/or donate to the campaign with her on the ticket, while only 12% said that her selection would make them more likely to volunteer and/or donate.

The community of progressives that makes up the Indivisible movement is organized, effective, and experienced at beating Trump. These are the folks who helped save the Affordable Care Act in 2017, powered the Blue Wave in 2018, and fought to make impeachment possible earlier this year. In 2020, this national network will help fuel the Biden campaign in every state and district in the country, and we’re eager to see how his choice of running mate will help generate and maintain enthusiasm for the campaign from now until November.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 8:32 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bedbug himself is coming around or could be latent racism, either way, we need the votes.

idiotic and low information opinion from another conservative on who the VP should be. Stephens is wrong about Warren solidifying Biden's left flank. But maybe he likes Warren because she was a Republican until 1996. 

Democrats should stop listening to Republicans. 

On 6/5/2020 at 4:40 AM, SydneyCarton said:

ive said it before and I’ll keep beating that drum, put warren in charge of the Fed and take off her leash. That’s a massive, massive problem she can absolutely fix that would have huge ramifications on us as a country. Put her in charge of all financial reform in this country which we sorely need. Tax code, corporate taxes, anything touching monetary policy. Shit anything even remotely related to monetary policy she wants to be involved in, including healthcare reform or even college loans/repayment/financing. Let her have a heavy hand in all the financial bills and laws constructed in the next 2 terms if she’s still alive.  

Warren would be a powerful agent for change at the Fed or the Treasury. 

I believe she would.

I'm being honest, regardless of VP status many of these candidates need to be in the Cabinet when the shouting is over. Too much talent to leave on the bench. If Warren gets the nod, fine--I am good with that and I hope she runs with it. But if not, please put her with the money. She has a good feel for what needs to be done.

• Like 1

Harris is pretty evenly spread among the various demographics. That's a positive for her in my eyes. If she gets the pick, not too polarizing or am I reading the data incorrectly? Same with Abrams--I think her name recognition is growing. I have some hope for the future if some younger up and comers can get some attention.

• Like 1

I think the criteria are, in order:

1. Do no harm: can’t pick a VP that will hurt chances of winning the election.

2. Be qualified to be president.

3. Be able to work with Congress to achieve legislative goals.

4. Be able to cover the president’s weaknesses.

5. Be able to carry their home state (it’s not realistic to expect a VP to be the difference in a swing state that isn’t their home).

By those criteria, Harris and Warren are very close.  I think Warren would make a better president, and polling indicates she will have a more positive impact on the election (although I’m not sure I buy that).  But Harris more than fits the bill as well.  At this point I don’t see how Biden can consider anyone outside of those 2.

• Like 1