Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

I think KLB will get out after what happened in ATL last night.  I’m growing on Demings and she’s been on the news circuit a lot lately, but I don’t know if she has the name—not that that is needed.   Charlie Crist (hey girl!) said if he picks Demings, it will lock down Florida for BIden.  I’m not so sure I believe that. 

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

I think KLB will get out after what happened in ATL last night.  I’m growing on Demings and she’s been on the news circuit a lot lately, but I don’t know if she has the name—not that that is needed.   Charlie Crist (hey girl!) said if he picks Demings, it will lock down Florida for BIden.  I’m not so sure I believe that. 

Demings has been getting criticism for her history....... an ex-cop from a department with poor ratings in racial profiling or enforcement and her support for the Blue Lives Matter bill a couple of years ago.  That alone may cool her chances.  Kamala has her own very serious issues around ignoring police brutality issues as a DA.  These things don't automatically disqualify either, but it complicates things for them, especially as Biden seeks to distance himself from the DeFund the Police movement yet balance his platform with trying to be empathic to the civil unrest.  Still think Harris is the safest choice, Warren the best choice, and Demings maybe having the most electoral upside.  I read somewhere that Baldwin may be running up the list.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kamala has her own very serious issues around ignoring police brutality issues as a DA.  These things don't automatically disqualify either, but it complicates things for them, especially as Biden seeks to distance himself from the DeFund the Police movement yet balance his platform with trying to be empathic to the civil unrest.  

This was a much bigger deal for Kamala when she was running for President against other Democratic candidates. As a VP pick going up against Trump/Pence, I don't think potential attacks on her DA past will really hurt the ticket.  If we hear any "Kamala is a cop!" rhetoric from the Republican party and voter base, it won't work since, you know, they actually love cops. 

She's also been very present and vocal during the BLM protests, which is great. The initial concerns I had with Kamala are lessened significantly as a VP nominee.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Demings has been getting criticism for her history....... an ex-cop from a department with poor ratings in racial profiling or enforcement and her support for the Blue Lives Matter bill a couple of years ago.  That alone may cool her chances.  Kamala has her own very serious issues around ignoring police brutality issues as a DA.  These things don't automatically disqualify either, but it complicates things for them, especially as Biden seeks to distance himself from the DeFund the Police movement yet balance his platform with trying to be empathic to the civil unrest.  Still think Harris is the safest choice, Warren the best choice, and Demings maybe having the most electoral upside.  I read somewhere that Baldwin may be running up the list.

I just don’t think Bottoms and (to a lesser degree) Demings are qualified to be President yet; same as I feel about Abrams.  I also don’t think Demings would definitely deliver Florida.  It’s gotta be Warren or Harris, with Baldwin entering as a darkhorse who might be the difference in Wisconsin, which might be the difference in the election.

I agree with your assessment of KLB, Abrams and Demmings. While talented and full of potential, they are too experienced to be one step away from the presidency. Warren would be wasted in the VP slot and would be more valuable riding herd in the financial community. Because there’s no way to gauge the country’s appetite for another 76 year old standard bearer in ‘24, Warren’s knowledge and intellect should be maximized in Biden’s administration. Harris, while younger, concerns me as the Democratic lead in ‘24: For me, the logical choice is Rice.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/biden-vice-president-susan-rice/612115/

I love Baldwin. Met her a while back and just an exceptionally kind and smart lady.
  • Like 1

Biden can pick Warren or he can screw up.  I’m expecting him to screw up. It might be inconsequential b/c Biden wins anyway but going with a pick that gets you fewer voters in this election is just dumb.  And if you think picking a WOC gets Biden more votes against Donald Trump, I’ll have whatever it is you’re smoking.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Biden can pick Warren or he can screw up.  I’m expecting him to screw up. It might be inconsequential b/c Biden wins anyway but going with a pick that gets you fewer voters in this election is just dumb.  And if you think picking a WOC gets Biden more votes against Donald Trump, I’ll have whatever it is you’re smoking.

Hugo, self-proclaimed hater of punditry.

On 6/13/2020 at 3:26 PM, Satchel said:

I agree with your assessment of KLB, Abrams and Demmings. While talented and full of potential, they are too experienced to be one step away from the presidency. Warren would be wasted in the VP slot and would be more valuable riding herd in the financial community. Because there’s no way to gauge the country’s appetite for another 76 year old standard bearer in ‘24, Warren’s knowledge and intellect should be maximized in Biden’s administration. Harris, while younger, concerns me as the Democratic lead in ‘24: For me, the logical choice is Rice.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/biden-vice-president-susan-rice/612115/

Susan Rice, who's never run for an election for ANYTHING, much less won one?

Warren is only wasted in the VP slot if Biden wants her to be (wasted).  Clearly the modern presidency post Bush II includes a more activist VP. 

Hell, there's a non-zero chance she's the tie-breaking vote in the Senate, in which case she doesn't even need to move her office. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Warren is only wasted in the VP slot if Biden wants her to be (wasted).  Clearly the modern presidency post Bush II includes a more activist VP. 

Hell, there's a non-zero chance she's the tie-breaking vote in the Senate, in which case she doesn't even need to move her office. 

Your last comment makes no sense. Anyone VP would be the tie breaking vote so WGAF? 

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I’m not opposed to Warren at all. She would be wasted in the VP slot unless she wants to become the odds on favorite to head the ticket in ‘24.

Just now, Satchel said:

I’m not opposed to Warren at all. She would be wasted in the VP slot unless she wants to become the odds on favorite to head the ticket in ‘24.

I just don't believe that's true. I think Joe will lean on his VP a lot and that she'll be steering the direction of the executive branch.

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This might be a legit argument if she DIDN’T want the VP job.

All of those being considered have expressed interest in the job for reasons known only to them. When one considers those most prepared to assume the presidency, the numbers thin out quickly. The only ones who could pass the 82 day test in my mind are Warren, Rice, Baldwin and Harris.While I would be happy with any one of them, Rice would be the logical choice for me.

Edited by Satchel

My top three:

3) Val Demings, momentum growing, seems like a real badass, probably worth a point or two in Florida, which could be decisive

2) Susan Rice, most qualified to be president on day one, least campaign value

1) Kamala Harris, best partner for the national campaign, will do Mike Pence like Larry Holmes did Scott LeDoux. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My top three:

3) Val Demings, momentum growing, seems like a real badass, probably worth a point or two in Florida, which could be decisive

2) Susan Rice, most qualified to be president on day one, least campaign value

1) Kamala Harris, best partner for the national campaign, will do Mike Pence like Larry Holmes did Scott LeDoux. 

Man you would need to vet Demings police history REALLY REALLY well. 

I really have a problem continuing to but a bunch of folks over 75 at the top of a ticket for their first year as president. Warren would be, what, 76 in 2024? Be down is necessary, but his age makes folks uncomfortable. Ditto Bernie’s age. Let’s try to find someone who will be, I dunno, no older than 65 when Biden would take office? 

• Like 2

agreed about age and 2024.  harris still checks the most boxes for me.  demings is 1a.

and nobody can say with any level of accuracy that biden-warren would receive more votes than biden-harris.  that's some bullshit wishcasting at best.

if there is a non-zero number of people of color who are holding out hope for a black woman on the ticket, and they decide not to vote for biden-warren, then that argument is over.  in fact, you could have a better argument the other way.  i don't believe there's a discernible difference either way, but stop acting like it's obvious.

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I really have a problem continuing to but a bunch of folks over 75 at the top of a ticket for their first year as president. Warren would be, what, 76 in 2024? Be down is necessary, but his age makes folks uncomfortable. Ditto Bernie’s age. Let’s try to find someone who will be, I dunno, no older than 65 when Biden would take office? 

She's 70 currently.  I understand the trepidation and the risk comes when you nominate someone as old as Biden.  The other issue is if Joe has a stroke or heart attack in 2021, who is best equipped to be POTUS in that time.  Donny has fucked up so many mechanisms in the country, but from financial oversight to foreign policy.  Who's learning curve would be the shortest to get up to speed.  Nothing is stopping younger, less experienced challengers running for the nomination if Joe loses or steps aside in 2024.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Dems should start preparing the bench. All of the leaders are older and it’s time to position the Porters, Jeffries, Schiffs and Demings to take over.

the bench is prepared.  you kinda answered your call-to-action from your first sentence in your second sentence.

as for the vp being the presumptive nominee in 2024 - i'm not saying she needs to be, but it would be great if she was.  the whole idea is to get somebody in there who's strong and ready, and who has her fingerprints all over a (hopefully) successful run for the country leading up to '24 (or earlier if biden decides to step down).

starting from scratch in 2024 should not be the goal, even if it's a distinct possibility.

• Like 1

I truly don't give a shit about VP polling, but since it's been used to make an argument for Warren, here's a new poll. 

Six in ten (59%) Democratic primary voters in Monmouth’s panel believe having a woman of color as Biden’s running mate would increase the ticket’s chances of victory. Just 5% say such a pick would make a Democratic win less likely, 16% say it would make no difference and 20% are not sure. 

There is a latent contradiction if Biden chooses someone based out of anything other than electoral strategy because the whole basis for his campaign was beating Donald Trump and “electability.”  Like he was literally pimping his poll numbers in the primary. 

For him to not broaden his coalition with the VP pick but instead go with whoever most pleases his base voters would be antithetical to his stated campaign strategy.  It would also be the most Democratic Party thing to do.  If the priority is beating Donald Trump, he should try to capture/galvanize as many independents as possible with the VP selection.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There is a latent contradiction if Biden chooses someone based out of anything other than electoral strategy because the whole basis for his campaign was beating Donald Trump and “electability.”  Like he was literally pimping his poll numbers in the primary. 

For him to not broaden his coalition with the VP pick but instead go with whoever most pleases his base voters would be antithetical to his campaign strategy.  It would also be the most Democratic Party thing to do.  If the priority is beating Donald Trump he should try to capture/galvanize  as many independents as possible with the VP selection.  

It's not a contradiction, it's just your opinion. There's an argument that picking a Black woman as VP could help bring in NEW voter turnout, which would be great for electoral strategy.

What is the argument for believing Warren would help with independents? 

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Uh polling data and the fact that progressives like Bernie do well with independents.

10F33140-898D-40CA-834C-EEB484894F83_zps

Polling data where 103 Independents prefer Warren to 69 of them preferring Kamala? Really?

And Warren is not Bernie. Let's stop pretending that they are anywhere close to the same type of candidate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

For him to not broaden his coalition with the VP pick but instead go with whoever most pleases his base voters would be antithetical to his stated campaign strategy.  It would also be the most Democratic Party thing to do.  If the priority is beating Donald Trump, he should try to capture/galvanize as many independents as possible with the VP selection.  

This post is peak Hugo. It's a 7-layer dip of Stiglitz. There's so many levels.

• Like 1

This is a troll Hugo thread and I am being trolled!    

But seriously, if you want to win a general election, common sense dictates you want to make campaign decisions that will ultimately get you more money and votes.  If you can argue putting Kamala or someone else helps Biden beat Trump more than Warren, then by all means make that case.  However, if you’re making decisions to pander to your base and not expand the coalition, you’re doing it wrong. 

Trump didn’t even know who the fuck Mike Pence was but he picked him b/c Manafort knew how to play the game.  Pence was picked for strategic reasons to capture the weary evangelicals and normie Republicans. It was a shrewd move and played a role in helping Trump win.