Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

4 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Harris should be the pick because Trumps already pitched the law and order crap. What’s he going to do? Go after her for being tough on crime?

Put her in charge of a police reform task force and have them push for real, meaningful, nationwide reform. Don’t call it defund the police.

• Hook 'Em 1

My opinion only based on her primary debates, I don't think she'll be able to reach across the aisle to reach any bipartisan agreements. I'm not terribly excited about her being selected as VP. Just like I'm not terribly excited about Biden being the democratic nominee. But as some of you have said before, winning this election is establishing a beach head so the McConnell and Trump enablers can be driven out of American politics.

Fuck reaching across the aisle and fuck bipartisanship.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Agree - Democrats will be governing from a position of strength. It is time to fix the mess. Trump is shedding voters like super-spreaders of the virus. No need to compromise at this point. “Freedom lies in being bold.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

I just read the most bs ever suggestion, from Willie Brown, that Kamala should politely decline the VP job. 

Dude, are you on crack?  She has a chance to be prez. in about 18 months.  Who would turn down this VP job?  Nobody, that's who. 

Willie Brown loves the spotlight (as do most politicians). I read his opinion piece in the San Francisco Chronicle. He suggests she is a "dead-ender" in the VP slot and should accept an AG appointment. He compares her as VP to Al Gore's failure to attain the Presidency. He does not understand the dynamics of this race and it seems he has lost touch with national politics (if he was in touch with national politics).

He is a dinosaur - like the Weinstein-types of the world. He still thinks it is 1990. 

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I got into an argument with the wife over the weekend on this.  As much as I want to have this attitude, it's not sustainable in the long term.  Short term, absolutely.  We have to slam these fuckers to the ground and let them know their games will not be tolerated.  We have to get shit fixed in a Biden term and then maybe, MAYBE, we can start talking bipartisanship again.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I got into an argument with the wife over the weekend on this.  As much as I want to have this attitude, it's not sustainable in the long term.  Short term, absolutely.  We have to slam these fuckers to the ground and let them know their games will not be tolerated.  We have to get shit fixed in a Biden term and then maybe, MAYBE, we can start talking bipartisanship again.

i think it takes a whole new batch of humans.  i think the ones on earth currently are toast.  you have to start with kids and re-emphasize teaching american values.  they'll grow up and want to do so. we are far too fucked, because actions according to those values have to come with expectation of reciprocity, or the other side will just take advantage.  there can be no detente for our generation.

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!

Harris was my first choice in the primaries, so if she gets to be president this way, then I'm good with it.  She has executive experience having been the head of the largest AG's office in the country, and I agree with most of her policy proposals.  I think she'd be a very effective president.

If she's just going to sit in the Naval Observatory for four years, then I'm not thrilled with that.  I'd rather her be AG, because I think she would fuck shit up.  If Biden is going to live for four years, then I would prefer to have Duckworth.

So I guess it depends on how healthy you think Joe Biden is.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Willie Brown loves the spotlight (as do most politicians). I read his opinion piece in the San Francisco Chronicle. He suggests she is a "dead-ender" in the VP slot and should accept an AG appointment. He compares her as VP to Al Gore's failure to attain the Presidency. He does not understand the dynamics of this race and it seems he has lost touch with national politics (if he was in touch with national politics).

He is a dinosaur - like the Weinstein-types of the world. He still thinks it is 1990. 

He's been salty with her ever since they broke  up.

And, this VP is likely to be President within the next four years, certainly the next 8 years.  In that interim, I am hopeful that the GOP as currently incarnated implodes or otherwise self-destructs.

Regardless, we can't as a nation continue whipsawing between parties without bipartisanship or the spirit of compromise to the extent that isn't bipartisanship.  As bitter a pill as that is to swallow with the assholes currently on the right side of the aisle, it is a genuine reality.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He's been salty with her ever since they broke  up.

And, this VP is likely to be President within the next four years, certainly the next 8 years.  In that interim, I am hopeful that the GOP as currently incarnated implodes or otherwise self-destructs.

Regardless, we can't as a nation continue whipsawing between parties without bipartisanship or the spirit of compromise to the extent that isn't bipartisanship.  As bitter a pill as that is to swallow with the assholes currently on the right side of the aisle, it is a genuine reality.

That would suboptimal in a world where the other party worships the apocalyptic prophecies of an anonymous 8chan user.

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If there's a VP pick that could theoretically cost Joe Biden the election, it's Nina Turner. 

Why is that?

Bernie Bros hated Harris. Probably still do. She's a cop who prosecuted a lot of poor and black people, through the criminalization of drugs and petty crime. Progressives didn't like her then and barely like her now and their vote (or lack thereof) cost HilClinton the election.

Edited by Rougarou

10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Bernie Bros hated Harris. Probably still do. She's a cop who prosecuted a lot of poor and black people, through the criminalization of drugs and petty crime. Progressives didn't like her then and barely like her now and their vote (or lack thereof) cost HilClinton the election.

Well, just another opportunity for me to say "Well, it that's the case, then fuck those morons."

9 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Nina Turner hates Joe Biden. And while she's popular in Bernie world, IMO she generally sucks and is a bad politician. 

Any talk of her as an actual VP candidate is leftist fantasy bullshit. 

Also, anyone who isn't going to vote for Biden due to his VP pick, especially considering the extremely talented field he has to choose from, was never going to vote for him anyway or needs their fucking head examined.

10 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

So was Rodriquez "Jacquees" Broadnax (whoever that is...) just photoshopped in for some reason? 

Screenshot_20200810-141855_Twitter.jpg

Eddie Glaude has already stated he wasn't asked about this or read it yet his name is on it.  Nick Cannon has already stated kanye has his vote so why is his name on this list?

I question any list that has Charlamagne on it. 

Jacquees is an R&B singer. 

17 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Why is that?

It’s unfathomable unless it’s your experience. Give Kamala a pass for actually destroying lives because that’s forgivable. She was just doing her job amirite? It’s overlooked to protect the status quo. Business as usual. These lawyers who get innocent people off death row would still vote for Biden/Kamala with their respective records.

What’s not forgivable is Turner saying a few curse words while vehemently defending her position. Bad bad politician and that’s it. Or Bass talking to scientologists. Eww.

27 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

So was Rodriquez "Jacquees" Broadnax (whoever that is...) just photoshopped in for some reason? 

Screenshot_20200810-141855_Twitter.jpg

I have absolutely no idea who that is, but he deserves a spot on the All-Name Team for sure. Somehow it's even better without the nickname. Rodriquez Broadnax.

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so what's the case for turner?

She’s not Mike Pence. Did I do that right y’all?

Nina is thoroughly vetted. If the DNC could have found anything on her they’d have done it by now. She is a leading progressive voice and worked as second in command for The Holy One. There isn’t one progressive voice who doubts her sincerity on the issues. So line all those issues up. That’s a good case all by itself. She believes in the progressive issues she speaks about. She has been a senator but is not currently a senator so there isn’t any important position given up for the democrats. She is a relatively young, strong, black woman. 

Basically the only reason she can’t be VP is bc of fragile old white people. That and the DNC (still old white people) would never set the table for someone like her.

Edited by Dropout

15 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Nina is thoroughly vetted. If the DNC could have found anything on her they’d have done it by now. She is a leading progressive voice and worked as second in command for The Holy One. There isn’t one progressive voice who doubts her sincerity on the issues. So line all those issues up. That’s a good case all by itself. She believes in the progressive issues she speaks about.

do you think there are progressive voters who would vote for biden-turner but may sit out for biden-rice (or biden-harris)?

i've always read how kamala has a strong progressive voting record in the senate, but she never seemed especially "progressive" at least in the current bernie-adjacent-meaning of the word.

also, in a biden presidency, where biden is calling the (somewhat non-progressive) shots, does a voice like turner's actually help shape policy?  i guess a better phrasing of that would be, "would this be enough for progressives to embrace biden, even though none of her beliefs on policy could see the light of day?"  progressives really seem to hate him, and i personally don't think anything changes that.

biden obviously would never pick her, and it seems like lip service to progressives to even discuss her (which he hasn't anyway).  i'm still wary of anyone who's never held high office being this close to the presidency.  same reason i never liked abrams as an option.

It's gonna be Harris and that's the best, most strategic option for Biden. Literally anyone else and it's a positive for Trump. Trump's camp is--as they should be-- scared to death that he is going to do the smart thing and pick Harris and when he does, Biden will essentially need to run out the clock and not do anything stupid.

• Like 1

State Senator for those googling Nina Turner.

if it’s not Kamala Harris, and Joe goes ambitious, I’ve done a 180 on Stacey Abrams and would approve bigly. Her leading the way in voter suppression from the 2nd most powerful office would be kickass. Has 10 years legislative experience also was a minority leader in the Deep South.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

do you think there are progressive voters who would vote for biden-turner but may sit out for biden-rice (or biden-harris)?

Yes. 

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i've always read how kamala has a strong progressive voting record in the senate, but she never seemed especially "progressive" at least in the current bernie-adjacent-meaning of the word.

also, in a biden presidency, where biden is calling the (somewhat non-progressive) shots, does a voice like turner's actually help shape policy?  i guess a better phrasing of that would be, "would this be enough for progressives to embrace biden, even though none of her beliefs on policy could see the light of day?"  progressives really seem to hate him, and i personally don't think anything changes that.

Kamala is a prosecutor with a shady history. This is a matter of fact. I agree she is not Bernie progressive.

I do not know if Nina would help shape policy as that seems tough for anyone to do at this moment in time. I do know she will not give in. She will fight for her agenda at every turn. We want a seat at the table. Our voices to be heard.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

biden obviously would never pick her, and it seems like lip service to progressives to even discuss her (which he hasn't anyway). 

Biden can’t even pay lip service towards progressive positions. This is our concern dude. 

I agree he would never pick her. Here for the discussion attempting to overcome my growing apathy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

her ambition tho.

Doesn't matter. She's been humbled, her ambition will be much more muted. She has to know that she's viewed as ambitious and stiff-necked and doesn't appeal broadly on her own, but she works perfectly as a complement:

She's a woman.

She's a minority.

She's got experience.

She doesn't scare away the Biden voters while also appealing to secondary/tertiary Biden voters (by virtue of being a woman and a minority). There are just some voters they will never get (hardened/most extreme of the Bernie bros, etc.), but it doesn't matter, they don't need them. 

She's Trump's worst nightmare in the last mile of the Presidential election (I can't believe we are 3 months away already, it feels like Trump v Biden hasn't even really gotten started yet).

If Biden chooses her, like I said, my belief is he can play conservative and take the air out of the ball and run out the clock to a victory as long as he doesn't do anything horrible.

Edited by Rougarou

5 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Doesn't matter. She's been humbled, her ambition will be much more muted. She has to know that she's viewed as ambitious and stiff-necked and doesn't appeal broadly on her own, but she works perfectly as a complement:

She's a woman.

She's a minority.

She's got experience.

She doesn't scare away the Biden voters while also appealing to secondary/tertiary Biden voters (by virtue of being a woman and a minority). There are just some voters they will never get (hardened/most extreme of the Bernie bros, etc.), but it doesn't matter, they don't need them. 

She's Trump's worst nightmare in the last mile of the Presidential election (I can't believe we are 3 months away already, it feels like Trump v Biden hasn't even really gotten started yet).

If Biden chooses her, like I said, my belief is he can play conservative and take the air out of the ball and run out the clock to a victory as long as he doesn't do anything horrible.

i know, i was making fun of the "attack" that has been mentioned.  so dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i know, i was making fun of the "attack" that has been mentioned.  so dumb.

Gotcha. I'd be shocked if Biden didn't tap her as his VP and, more than that, I'd lose a lot of confidence and assurance that he/they know what they are doing at Biden2020.org

Edited by Rougarou