Jerry Jones to Open Cowboy's AT&T Stadium for Highland Park High School Graduation

Landomatic

Guest Lobo

Pop the roof and pop your collar.  Let’s fucking do this. That’s actually a cool gesture but I’m sure there were tens of thousands of distant relatives that were taking a break this year thinking, “well at least we don’t have to waste a half dozen evenings this year with all the usual graduation celebrations”

hell my buddy’s second wedding is starting in 90mts in San Antonio.  All I gotta is log in at 4:59 to make it look like I gave a shit and then go outside and grill and fly kites with the kids.  

4 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

I wonder if the kids in Arlington ISD get to do the same. Didn't their parents help foot the bill with higher taxes? 

Technically, I believe those taxes are being paid by folks who stay in Arlington hotels.

• Like 2

Pop the roof and pop your collar.  Let’s fucking do this. That’s actually a cool gesture but I’m sure there were tens of thousands of distant relatives that were taking a break this year thinking, “well at least we don’t have to waste a half dozen evenings this year with all the usual graduation celebrations”
hell my buddy’s second wedding is starting in 90mts in San Antonio.  All I gotta is log in at 4:59 to make it look like I gave a shit and then go outside and grill and fly kites with the kids.  
It's too windy dumbass.

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Distant relatives?  Hell, she’s my kid and I was looking forward to getting to skip out while she just did shit virtually from her room.  Now I gotta schlep to Arlington and  navigate Jerry World.

The Denton County schools are all having theirs at Texas Motor Speedway. 

I watched my daughter's virtual (college) graduation ceremony this morning, and it did nothing but make me sad and angry, so thank you Jerrah and thank you TMS.

• Like 2

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I did...it was a cool twist on a Righteous Brothers song.  I get it.  It was actually very well done, sorry I made a sarcastic comment dude.  A bunch of my cousins went to McAllen High, btw.  My cousin is an underwriter of their arts programs.  /csb

Levity aside, I'm sending it to my mother.  She comes from a long line of Mexican Mariachi musicians.  And my German father had a voice that was a dead ringer for a Righteous Brother.  She's gonna love it, thanks for posting.  sorry to be silly on a Friday.  We started drinking already.  

Edited by Lobo

48 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Technically, I believe those taxes are being paid by folks who stay in Arlington hotels.

Half cent sales tax hike (instead of for DART) 2% hotel & 5% car rental tax. Taxpayers paid for approximately $300M of the 1.2B price tag.

Compared with $500M for the new Rangers Ballpark. However, they were able to pay off most of the debt for the Jerryworld early so I don't think taxes went up much 

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

And I have no idea what thread this belongs in, so I'm gonna post it here, because these kids are fucking badass:

@Helobious

Sending that to my mom, so badass. Never took McHi for much of a mariachi school, not nearly as rancho as the schools that usually dominate at UIL like Zapata, Grulla, and Edcouch. Those kids nailed that though.

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Sending that to my mom, so badass. Never took McHi for much of a mariachi school, not nearly as rancho as the schools that usually dominate at UIL like Zapata, Grulla, and Edcouch. Those kids nailed that though.

Como te dices "rancho" en Ingles?

I know its literal translation, obviously, pero  . . . la connotacion?

Edited by TwiceHorn

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Como te dices "rancho" en Ingles?

I know its literal translation, obviously, pero  . . . la connotacion?

Basically country-ass hispanic schools or towns. Lots more kids from families that work in ag, you’ll see a lot more belt buckles & boots, everyone loves tejano & country, and more of the students are native spanish speakers.

Contrast that with the schools in towns like McAllen, Sharyland, Harlingen & even Weslaco now. The kids are also mostly all hispanic but much more Americanized, and there’s more affluent Mexican nationals mixed in. Aside from the demographics not a whole lot different from a typical suburban high school.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

TIL mariachi is a UIL event. For some reason I find that fucking awesome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Basically country-ass hispanic schools or towns. Lots more kids from families that work in ag, you’ll see a lot more belt buckles & boots, everyone loves tejano & country, and more of the students are native spanish speakers.

Contrast that with the schools in towns like McAllen, Sharyland, Harlingen & even Weslaco now. The kids are also mostly all hispanic but much more Americanized, and there’s more affluent Mexican nationals mixed in. Aside from the demographics not a whole lot different from a typical suburban high school.

Thanks.  Kind of what I figured, but wanted to make sure.

I bet they're not chuntarito clowns, either.  

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The Denton County schools are all having theirs at Texas Motor Speedway. 

I watched my daughter's virtual (college) graduation ceremony this morning, and it did nothing but make me sad and angry, so thank you Jerrah and thank you TMS.

My aunt is pissed that they're doing this.

10 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

A lot of those kids are slumming it in University Park. Do you have any idea the shame one experiences when living in a neighborhood with green street signs?

Some are even in duplexes or condos...even apartments.

Guest Lobo

Do most people in that part of Dallas attend private school?  I've read a hundred scholarship applications from their public high school and their students have always impressed me.  They are always humble and hardworking.  Now once they graduate UT, they can't seem to shut the fuck up about where they're from.  But before they get here, they are very down to Earth and appreciative of the opportunities we are affording them.  

No. Most are HP students. It is rare that I understand why one would like in Park Cities and send their kids to a private school. 

Had a girl tell me she went to hockaday and not HP Bc “she wouldn’t have survived the HP scene” from a catty teenage girl POV. I found it hard to believe a brand name private school in Dallas was any better in that dept.

35 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Few. The public schools are a big part of the draw of Park Cities.

Preston Hollow area is more of the private school corridor. Tons of wealth and regular DISD schools. And a lot of the private schools are in/near Preston Hollow.

A couple of decades ago, when the average price of a home in the Park Cities was  under $1M the difference in the house price in Preston Hollow  and UP (similar house, larger lot in Preston Hollow) was about the amortized cost of private school tuition for 2.5 kids to graduation.

Now that the average price of a home is more than $1M, and probably closer to $2M, in both the Park Cities and Preston Hollow, that difference in price has disappeared.  My theory is that once you can afford that kind of home, the cost of schooling is less of a factor.

Prior to the turn of the century, there were a lot of pretty middle class families in the Park Cities sacrificing for the sake of their kids' educations. Meaning, they were quite house poor for the the kids.

Now, it's more people with fuck you money and the fuck you money attitude (occasionally, I hear of people with super funky financing like balloons and whatnot that are living above their means, but that's not the same as sacrificing for your kids).

You see a startling number of private school signs in the Park Cities, many of them for less elite and less expensive private schools.  At first you think "whyyyyyy?" then you go price equivalent homes in Preston Hollow or Bluffview (again larger lots, but not like estate acreage), and you realize it's kind of what's the difference.  The taxes are actually lower in the Park Cities.

My friends that have kids in HPISD that attended HPISD schools think the quality of education doesn't stack up to what we received.  There are still a lot of "educational amenities," but the older, dedicated and skilled teachers are missing.  There's still a lot of "neighborhood" or "in loco parentis" that has some value, but it also has some serious disadvantages.

9 minutes ago, bluto said:

Had a girl tell me she went to hockaday and not HP Bc “she wouldn’t have survived the HP scene” from a catty teenage girl POV. I found it hard to believe a brand name private school in Dallas was any better in that dept.

That's the damned truth.

I do have a theory that some parents buy in the Park Cities with the intention of utilizing HPISD schools, but then discover that their kids are "different" in some way so that private school becomes a near necessity.  They may have one kid in HP and another in private. As good as HP schools may be, they aren't as good with the sort of non-average kid as a private school.  

At one time, those people probably would have moved from the Park Cities to a demographically similar but cheaper neighborhood.  Now those barely exist.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Do most people in that part of Dallas attend private school?  I've read a hundred scholarship applications from their public high school and their students have always impressed me.  They are always humble and hardworking.  Now once they graduate UT, they can't seem to shut the fuck up about where they're from.  But before they get here, they are very down to Earth and appreciative of the opportunities we are affording them.  

One thing you probably need to understand.  Highland Park and University Park are separate but closely allied cities with a common school district.  They are not Dallas.  Surrounded by Dallas, but not Dallas.  They are not merely neighborhoods.  They have their own governments and city services.  You have to live within the district boundaries, that are mostly but not entirely coextensive with the cities, to attend the schools.

Right across two major roadways, to the north (Preston Hollow) and west (Bluffview and Greenway Parks), are nearly identical and even ritzier neighborhoods within the City of Dallas.  Other than the street signs, you'd be hard pressed to know you left one of the Park Cities.  But those neighborhoods are zoned to Hillcrest HS and WT White HS, in DISD.  HP schools may not be all they are cracked up to be, but they are a far sight better than those two, which are considerably better than most in DISD.

32 minutes ago, bluto said:

Hockaday is relatively more worldly and accepting.

1 minute ago, used2b said:

Hockaday is relatively more worldly and accepting.

In the fat part of the curve, I think they're pretty similar, but the lack of boys on campus and the available "intellectualness" and diversity from scholarship students probably make the tails of the curve a bit more comfortable.

In the fat part of the curve, I think they're pretty similar, but the lack of boys on campus and the available "intellectualness" and diversity from scholarship students probably make the tails of the curve a bit more comfortable.

Exactly.

Edited by used2b

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Good post but there is nothing ritzier about PH or GP or BV relative to HP, and parts of UP. And I believe HP schools are every bit as good as they are cracked up to be and possibly better. 

The estate areas of PH and GP and BV are every bit as deluxe as those in HP and UP and have larger acreage (on a scale where that means something, not 1/8 vs 1/10 acre) and there are more of them than the Park Cities.

Good post but there is nothing ritzier about PH or GP or BV relative to HP, and parts of UP. And I believe HP schools are every bit as good as they are cracked up to be and possibly better. 

I was talking to a guy who lives in UP and sends his 3 kids to a $70k/yr boarding school in VA. He claimed it's something like 35 kids/class nowadays at HP. No fucking way would (nor could) I dish out $210k/yr for HS education, but I could see how classes of that size could be a turnoff. If you're on the honors track and among students there to learn it's probably not an issue. If your among the distracted shitheads, you might not be getting an ideal educational experience.

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I was talking to a guy who lives in UP and sends his 3 kids to a $70k/yr boarding school in VA. He claimed it's something like 35 kids/class nowadays at HP. No fucking way would (nor could) I dish out $210k/yr for HS education, but I could see how classes of that size could be a turnoff. If you're on the honors track and among students there to learn it's probably not an issue. If your among the distracted shitheads, you might not be getting an ideal educational experience.

Yep, as I said, my friends who attended in the 70s and 80s say it's not as good.  Part of that may be inherent with the education system.  We had a lot of grey-haired teachers that were really good, experienced and dedicated.  The few youngish ones tended to be extremely charismatic and gifted like Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society.  The youngish ones that weren't kind of stood out.

Now I understand the teachers don't possess the gravitas that ours did and class size is an issue, too, but it's quite a bit bigger than it was.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If you’re talking about land, on average, you’ll get no disagreement from me. If you’re talking about the condition of the homes, I disagree. If we’re talking about the top 10% of homes in HP, which are not constrained by lot size, you’re wrong in all other areas. If we’re talking top 1% of homes in each area, yeah, PH is ritzier. The others are not. 

I think you need to spend some more time driving around western Bluffview  (well around Northwest Highway west of Inwood, that may be Devonshire) and Preston Hollow on either side of the Tollway.

I'm talking mostly about the sheer number of 6000 sq ft plus homes on half acre or larger lots.  A ton of new construction out there, too.

You may find individual examples around Lakeside, off Armstrong, or in Volk Estates that surpass what you find there, but the sheer number in those areas is staggering.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Individual examples of 6,000 SF homes along Armstrong or Lakeside or Volk Estates?  Every home in those areas is over 6,000 SF. Down Armstrong and along each French Street from Mockingbird to Douglas from Preston to Lomo Alto, you probably have 250 homes over 6,000 SF. Around Lakeside and around the town center, another 250. 

6000 plus, I might should have said 10,000.

But Preston Hollow, between Douglas and Inwood, is non-stop estates, about half of them walled or fenced, from Northwest Highway to past Walnut Hill.  If there are 250 homes in the areas you cite, which I think is an overestimate, there are 500 to 1000 in that area.

I concede that there are areas of Bluffview and Greenway Parks that are showing their age, even despite the magnificent lots in Greenway Parks.  But just south of Northwest Highway, down to maybe Greenbrier and west of Inwood is a monstrous estate area.  That may be more properly characterized as Devonshire.

Point being, there's no huge dropoff in those areas next door to UP and HP.  And there's no big discount anymore based on the cost of schools.