Jerry Jones to Open Cowboy's AT&T Stadium for Highland Park High School Graduation

Landomatic

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

I also don’t think there’s a huge drop off and never said that. I said those areas aren’t ritzier, arguing what you said. My numbers aren’t overestimates. I live here. I walk and jog in these streets every day. There is no ritzier large neighborhood than HP. Preston Hollow has the most expensive, largest homes, but only at the very top 1% of homes, and it’s not consistent. 

When my kids graduate, I want to move back to Bluffview or GP. Because I love those neighborhoods and they’re cheaper. But they do not belong in the conversation of neighborhood ritz with HP or PH. 

I've lived here almost my entire life.

I think you might be surprised that there's very little break on those neighborhoods unless you're looking at a small, old house, of which there are increasingly few.  And the taxes are noticeably higher.  Probably a good investment though.

I know because I'm looking and will have a substantial budget when we sell our house.  I can afford my property taxes, but it begins to look like a waste of a substantial sum as I get on the glide path toward retirement.  And I really can't feature paying that kind of property taxes out of savings.  I'd like to halve my property taxes and in Dallas coming from Park Cities, you have to more than halve the value of your home to halve your property taxes.  We are looking in Hillcrest Forest, among other places, to do that.

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing you probably need to understand.  Highland Park and University Park are separate but closely allied cities with a common school district.  They are not Dallas.  Surrounded by Dallas, but not Dallas.  They are not merely neighborhoods.  They have their own governments and city services.  You have to live within the district boundaries, that are mostly but not entirely coextensive with the cities, to attend the schools.

Right across two major roadways, to the north (Preston Hollow) and west (Bluffview and Greenway Parks), are nearly identical and even ritzier neighborhoods within the City of Dallas.  Other than the street signs, you'd be hard pressed to know you left one of the Park Cities.  But those neighborhoods are zoned to Hillcrest HS and WT White HS, in DISD.  HP schools may not be all they are cracked up to be, but they are a far sight better than those two, which are considerably better than most in DISD.

Okay.  I guess I was generalizing.  My point stands, we've interviewed several students from that "area" and been very impressed.  Their parents are douchebags, but the kids are aces in my book.  And we've thrown a lot of money their way, and rightfully so.  But all around, great citizens being produced there.  It's always interesting though because you have one interview committee member with intimate knowledge of the "Dallas Society" because they came up that way, another person with "houston Society" and someone with "Austin Society"...and invariably they get into pissing contests with one another on who belongs and who doesn't.  But the good news is, with regard to 40 Acres, simple merit and interview gravitas always prevails.  It's really encouraging to see as a Longhorn.  We usually let them flesh out their bullshit after the panels are over and evaluations are made complete.  But we have so many kids from these elite neighborhoods and schools that would think woul be arrogant but they're just damn pragmatic and sincere and I couldn't be happier about cutting $125k checks to them especially since it ain't my money ;)

Edited by Lobo

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Okay.  I guess I was generalizing.  My point stands, we've interviewed several students from that "area" and been very impressed.  Their parents are douchebags, but the kids are aces in my book.  And we've thrown a lot of money their way, and rightfully so.  But all around, great citizens being produced there.  It's always interesting though because you have one interview committee member with intimate knowledge of the "Dallas Society" because they came up that way, another person with "houston Society" and someone with "Austin Society"...and invariably they get into pissing contests with one another on who belongs and who doesn't.  But the good news is, with regard to 40 Acres, simple merit and interview gravitas always prevails.  It's really encouraging to see as a Longhorn.  We usually let them flesh out their bullshit after the panels are over and evaluations are made complete.  But we have so many kids from these elite neighborhoods and schools that would think woul be arrogant but they're just damn pragmatic and sincere and I couldn't be happier about cutting $125k checks to them especially since it ain't my money ;)

A couple of things.  There have always, obviously, been people with fuck you money in the park cities.  A lot of the time, they and their kids are not ostentatious, arrogant, or entitled.  Privileged, obviously, but not gross about it.  With fair regularity, their kids are even outstanding students and citizens.  To name drop, the Seay family.  Another one, where the parents did turn  into  shitheads after a while, but had solid kids, was the Wyly family.  A lot of these people are sort of Warren Buffet types.  Rich as Croesus, but very down to earth.

It tends to be the "newer money" with something less than fuck you money that are the ostentatious, arrogant, and entitled.  They aren't there for the schools or the education, but the "lifestyle" and image. Shitheads pere, mere, et fils.  And Jerry Jones.  I won't speak to Stephen and Charlotte and their spawn, I don't know enough about them.

And then there are those, as mentioned, sacrificing, being house poor, whose kids are super solid, as you describe.  Because they value education, not "lifestyle," and provided their kids with the genes and the expectations and the opportunity to achieve and be solid citizens.

As the price of entry has increased, the last category has been somewhat pushed out by the middle category, the newer money.  However, there are also descendants of the latter category who "go home" that fit into the middle or first categories because of their wealth, but arent shitheads because they came from the last category.  An example of this would be Trevor D. Rees-Jones (but his kids may be shitheads now that pops is worth 4.4B, or was until recently). 

You generalize about Park Cities kids and their parents at your peril.  A goodly number of them are plain solid citizens with good values.  The good students who comprise the top quarter are products of these families as a general rule.  So are others, but the dumber they are or the less hard they work in school, the more likely they are to be shitheads.

In the past, the relatively easy entrance requirements at UT let in a lot of the shithead element.  They are virtually excluded by the new entrance reqirements.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

TBH, the kids are probably well coached.

• Like 3

Guest Lobo
8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A couple of things.  There have always, obviously, been people with fuck you money in the park cities.  A lot of the time, they and their kids are not ostentatious, arrogant, or entitled.  Privileged, obviously, but not gross about it.  With fair regularity, their kids are even outstanding students and citizens.  To name drop, the Seay family.  Another one, where the parents did turn  into  shitheads after a while, but had solid kids, was the Wyly family.  A lot of these people are sort of Warren Buffet types.  Rich as Croesus, but very down to earth.

It tends to be the "newer money" with something less than fuck you money that are the ostentatious, arrogant, and entitled.  Shitheads pere, mere, et fils.  And Jerry Jones.

And then there are those, as mentioned, sacrificing, being house poor, whose kids are super solid, as you describe.

As the price of entry has increased, the last category has been somewhat pushed out by the middle category, the newer money.  However, there are also descendants of the latter category who "go home" that fit into the middle category but arent shitheads because they came from the last category.  An example of this would be Trevor D. Rees-Jones (but his kids may be shitheads now that pops is worth 4.4B). 

You generalize about Park Cities kids and their parents at your peril.  A goodly number of them are plain solid citizens with good values.  The good students who comprise the top quarter are products of these families as a general rule.  

In the past, the relatively easy entrance requirements at UT let in a lot of the shithead element.  They are virtually excluded by the new entrance reqirements.

I didn't generalize about the kids at my own peril.  I praised them.  I also don't give a flying fuck about the nuances in various neighborhoods out there.  I was impressed with a few of the students, gave them tons of cash, and came here to sing their praises.  Listening to Dallas folks talk about the little differences here and there between this street and that street, this school, and that school.  It fucking cracks me up.  Texans, particularly multi-generational folks from Dallas, have an uncanny ability to brag about something they had no control over---where/when they were born.  Thankfully, some of these students grasp that and want to stand on their own merits while their parents grasp at straws.  And I am terribly proud to be a mentor to many of those students.  I put my money where my mouth is, I make a different with scholars at UT without giving a flying fuck about which legacy they belong to.  

I don't generalize Park Cities families at my own peril.  I'm a fucking nobody in Texas who only attended UT for 2.5 years.  They can find me anytime they want.  

Edited by Lobo

Guest Lobo

Seriously though, they really are incredibly impressive and humble in person. We just added another pair in this year's cohort from Highland Park/Park Cities.  Tied for most of any part of Texas in terms of 40 Acres Scholars.  Their on campus finalist weekend was literally the last thing we did no campus before the lockdown happened.  We usually have them down for an intensive summer deal before their Freshmen year, but that's probably gonna be thrown off which stinks for them.  But yeah, everything is changing for everybody in terms of college.  But these 40 acres scholars typically have a "better" head on their shoulders and we've got a half dozen or so from out of state that usually use their summer to acclimate to Austin.  Man...now I that  type it out-I am bummed out for them but then I realize they are all much more resilient than we give them credit for.  The only schools these young people passed on UT 40 acres for were Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Cal Tech, MIT, and Princeton.  They used to pass on us for Rice, UNC, Cal, and Michigan.  That this is now happening is a great sign for UT.  

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

TRJ’s net worth is down tremendously over the last 5 years because he’s given it away. It’s still $3.7B. Used to be closer to $7-$8B. Gas prices are unaffected and have actually improved this price crash, and he’s all gas to the extent he still has exposure to E&P. 

His sons are the down to earth kids that TRJ is. I know TRJ well and know Trevor. I do know not know David as he’s not involved in the business but know people that do. 

I knew Trevor D as a very young man when I was a kid and his parents were friends of my parents, so I knew his father and mother quite well.  His Dad, Trevor W. was a lawyer when lawyers merely made decent money, but they were not rich.  Great people.  Nice house on Centenary that was demolished and combined with the lot next door by some likely shitheads.

Edited by TwiceHorn

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I didn't generalize about the kids at my own peril.  I praised them.  I also don't give a flying fuck about the nuances in various neighborhoods out there.  I was impressed with a few of the students, gave them tons of cash, and came here to sing their praises.  Listening to Dallas folks talk about the little differences here and there between this street and that street, this school, and that school.  It fucking cracks me up.  Texans, particularly multi-generational folks from Dallas, have an uncanny ability to brag about something they had no control over---where/when they were born.  Thankfully, some of these students grasp that and want to stand on their own merits while their parents grasp at straws.  And I am terribly proud to be a mentor to many of those students.  I put my money where my mouth is, I make a different with scholars at UT without giving a flying fuck about which legacy they belong to.  

I don't generalize Park Cities families at my own peril.  I'm a fucking nobody in Texas who only attended UT for 2.5 years.  They can find me anytime they want.  

It was the royal you not you in particular.

Guest Lobo
Just now, TwiceHorn said:

It was the royal you not you in particular.

Gotcha.  Thanks.  Figured you were Rex Kramer, the guy who never posts here ;) 

17 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Why?  His grandkid isn’t in the graduating class of any other schools.

Because he owns the "Dallas Cowboys"?  And can afford it.  Arlington, too, for that matter.

Edited by TwiceHorn

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Because he owns the "Dallas Cowboys"?  And can afford it.  Arlington, too, for that matter.

So every professional sports team owner should just give shit away for free?  What about other people with money?  Should they be obligated to rent places like AT&T stadium out for schools they have nothing to do with?  Give me a fucking break.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

So every professional sports team owner should just give shit away for free?  What about other people with money?  Should they be obligated to rent places like AT&T stadium out for schools they have nothing to do with?  Give me a fucking break.

These are unusual circumstances.

An act of charity that benefits your own family isn't much of one.

I didn't say he had to, was obligated to, or required to.  I said it would be "nice" if he did.  And do a little to buff out the elitism of it all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

These are unusual circumstances.

An act of charity that benefits your own family isn't much of one.

I didn't say he had to, was obligated to, or required to.  I said it would be "nice" if he did.  And do a little to buff out the elitism of it all.

They do a lot for charity.  And sure it would be “nice” if everyone who was rich helped everyone who wasn’t.  This isn’t a situation different than any other so why mention it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

They do a lot for charity.  And sure it would be “nice” if everyone who was rich helped everyone who wasn’t.  This isn’t a situation different than any other so why mention it.

I think it is a situation different from any other.  The premise of the "donation" of the stadium is that there can be a large gathering with adequate social distancing, which is not easily accomplished most other places.  That's the only reason he's doing it.  That and his selfish motivation.

He is uniquely positioned to do it.  For that matter, it might be nice if Cuban or Perot offered up AA Center and whoever owns Globe Life to do the same.  

As an alum and citizen, I think it's kind of a bad look, frankly.  But I detest Jerry Jones, so I may be biased.  I wish he'd move to Allen or some shit and hitch his wagon to them.

It's just aspirational, relax.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Could your panties be in any tighter of a knot over an off-hand comment? Jesus

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Could your panties be in any tighter of a knot over an off-hand comment? Jesus

Oh, I'm sure they could.

Look, the Jones and Anderson families were kind enough to donate the use of their venue in an effort to give one of their kids and all of his 500+ classmates a memorable graduation during a difficult time.  I don't know what it costs to open that place up for one night, but I know it's not cheap.  You don't just have Gene and Charlotte head over a little while beforehand to turn on a few lights and maybe set out some snacks.  Seems like a very generous gesture to me.  But you've still got people saying, "Gee sure woulda been nice if he did more".

No good deed goes unpunished though, I guess.

Of course, I don't have near the hatred for Jerry a lot of other people do around here.  Jerry's grandkids, by all accounts, have been really good hard working kids.  They all seem like pretty good family people to me whenever I'm around them.

• Like 1

I don't doubt that opening up the Death Star for a graduation ceremony is quite an undertaking.  In fact, it's such an undertaking that I might expect that the marginal cost of keeping it open for another day or so and offering it to other local schools with large graduating classes is somewhat negligible.

Otherwise, it looks like just another unearned privilege enjoyed by those Highland Park assholes.

Having heard that for the greater part of a half century now, I'm kinda tired of it, and wish people associated with HP would tone it down some.

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't doubt that opening up the Death Star for a graduation ceremony is quite an undertaking.  In fact, it's such an undertaking that I might expect that the marginal cost of keeping it open for another day or so and offering it to other local schools with large graduating classes is somewhat negligible.

Otherwise, it looks like just another unearned privilege enjoyed by those Highland Park assholes.

Having heard that for the greater part of a half century now, I'm kinda tired of it, and wish people associated with HP would tone it down some.

The cost of disinfecting between ceremonies would be a bitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Look, the Jones and Anderson families were kind enough to donate the use of their venue in an effort to give one of their kids and all of his 500+ classmates a memorable graduation during a difficult time.  I don't know what it costs to open that place up for one night, but I know it's not cheap.

It's something like $50K.  

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You have Highland Park guilt. Jones owes no school a damn thing. Criticism here is pathetic. And I share your disdain for JJ. 

It's not guilt.  I am a little annoyed when stereotypes get fulfilled.  But, they exist for a reason.

53 minutes ago, bluto said:

I’m actually more surprised that HP kids/their families give a damn about high school graduation ceremonial shit.

Its really important to women. I’m dealing with all of the emotions related to missing 5th grade graduation. Haven’t heard from a dad yet.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, TwiceHorn said:

It's not guilt.  I am a little annoyed when stereotypes get fulfilled.  But, they exist for a reason.

Here, now you can sleep a little easier at night.  Jesuit's doing it too...having theirs earlier that same day.

Problem is, all those Jez assholes are going to contaminate the place before we get there.  I'm out.