Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm probably going to get killed for this, but I microwave my bacon in a pyrex dish with a lid on it. No mess outside the dish, done in like 5-6 minutes. Comes out just about perfect every time. 

i used to do that with paper towels layered in when i didn't want to clean a skillet.  doesn't allow recovery of bacon grease, though, so now i'm fully team oven bacon (and tossing some foil is even easier than putting the pyrex in the washer). 

some bacon leaves a sticky mess in a skillet from all the sugar.  seems to be worse with non-traditional flavors like jalapeno bacon. 

Edited by elfenix

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat does the foil in the rimmed cookie sheet, but after oven baking she lets it cool down on the counter to congeal, then puts the paper towels (used to drain & dry the bacon) in the grease, wraps it up & puts it in the freezer for later disposal.

Why the freezer after it’s already congealed and is wrapped in foil and paper towel? Why not straight into the trash at that point?

5 minutes ago, Covri said:

Why the freezer after it’s already congealed and is wrapped in foil and paper towel? Why not straight into the trash at that point?

Mrs. Brat cooks the weekend bacon on Saturday morning. We do not want any insects or critters getting into the trash can (in my yard shed) before garbage pickup on Wednesdays.

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat does the foil in the rimmed cookie sheet, but after oven baking she lets it cool down on the counter to congeal, then puts the paper towels (used to drain & dry the bacon) in the grease, wraps it up & puts it in the freezer for later disposal.

A wad of grease soaked towel also makes a great firestarter if you're grilling or smoking something. And smells fantastic in the process.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've done the microwave thing many times, especially when I'm just looking for some crunch to add to a burger or throw in with some pinto beans or something.  As a straight breakfast side, the baking sheet in the oven is the way to go, although I have to say my wife can fry it up in cast iron on the gas cooktop better than any oven bacon I've made.  It's just too little yield for me and my impatience -- takes about 12-15 minutes per half dozen slices, whereas I can quadruple that in the oven in just a little more time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've done the microwave thing many times, especially when I'm just looking for some crunch to add to a burger or throw in with some pinto beans or something.  As a straight breakfast side, the baking sheet in the oven is the way to go, although I have to say my wife can fry it up in cast iron on the gas cooktop better than any oven bacon I've made.  It's just too little yield for me and my impatience -- takes about 12-15 minutes per half dozen slices, whereas I can quadruple that in the oven in just a little more time.

Yep, the volume matters -- I can get bacon for the whole family of four done in the oven all at once.

21 hours ago, wd40 said:

made carnitas on Monday.  used some of the leftovers to make my version of the Cubanito.  I guess you could say it was the Cubanito-lite, since I didn't have any ham or bacon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

still have some LOs, so I made a more traditional cuban sandwich for lunch, today.  also slammed, etc.

spacer.png

fucking love nandos!

Last Saturday I started my day off with a sausage, sauerkraut, and Swiss kolache for breakfast.  For lunch I had some delicious chili with 3 different kinds of beans. Then I grilled up some shrimp fajitas for dinner, and finished my evening with a vodka martini.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Last Saturday I started my day off with a sausage, sauerkraut, and Swiss kolache for breakfast.  For lunch I had some delicious chili with 3 different kinds of beans. Then I grilled up some shrimp fajitas for dinner, and finished my evening with a vodka martini.   

. . . and this is why we can't have nice things.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Oven bacon all the way. I like to throw a little scoop of the congealed fat into the dogs food so he remembers who his favorite family member is. 

yeah whenever I cook bacon my doggo gets a couple spoonfuls of hot grease mixed in with his kibble.  I like to watch him tap-dance for it. 

On 5/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, Armybrat said:

My BLT at the Mirage Las Vegas... it also came with a side plate of bacon.

spacer.png

I ordered a pastrami on rye at Carnegie Deli at Mirage once. The damn thing had at least a pound of pastrami and was almost a foot tall. HTF do they expect you to eat that? It was delicious, but way more than I was expecting.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I ordered a pastrami on rye at Carnegie Deli at Mirage once. The damn thing had at least a pound of pastrami and was almost a foot tall. HTF do they expect you to eat that? It was delicious, but way more than I was expecting.

That’s where I had that pictured BLT. Ate the whole thing and the side plate too.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Hit up Carnegie in NYC before they closed, had the same experience, Katz was that way also.