Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

• 1 month later...

Didn't take pics, because I was hungry.  But made a sammich I love and haven't had in some time -- a BLT on toast, add a slice of cheese and a fried egg.  Crisp bacon and lettuce, thin creamy slices of tomato, melty cheese on a hot fried egg.  GOTDAMN that's living.

Didn't take pics, because I was hungry.  But made a sammich I love and haven't had in some time -- a BLT on toast, add a slice of cheese and a fried egg.  Crisp bacon and lettuce, thin creamy slices of tomato, melty cheese on a hot fried egg.  GOTDAMN that's living.
...and fried bologna.

Tried my version of the popeyes chicken sandwich last week, brined overnight with pickle juice and then soaked for a few hours in buttermilk before dredged in seasoned flour and deep fried.  The oil temp got too hot on me and burnt a bit of the crust, so that overpowered the flavor of the chicken a bit but overall I was happy with it.... 

popeyes.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Tried my version of the popeyes chicken sandwich last week, brined overnight with pickle juice and then soaked for a few hours in buttermilk before dredged in seasoned flour and deep fried.  The oil temp got too hot on me and burnt a bit of the crust, so that overpowered the flavor of the chicken a bit but overall I was happy with it.... 

popeyes.jpg

Popeyes chicken sandwich doesn't have regular mayo.  So, when trying to recreate something, might wanna start with the correct ingredients.

11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

HEB has some weird pre-brined corned beef things for sale. You just dump it in water with the seasoning packet and simmer for 45 mins per lb. cost $9 for a 2.3 lb package. Made Reubens. Did not suck.

Those actually make a pretty killer pastrami if you water soak them a day or 2, changing water a few times, and then rub with the seasoning packet and smoke them.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, irishtexan said:

HEB has some weird pre-brined corned beef things for sale. You just dump it in water with the seasoning packet and simmer for 45 mins per lb. cost $9 for a 2.3 lb package. Made Reubens. Did not suck.
27862776b19bc194eb21c0f83effae46.jpg
cc60c50e9d83766ec49cfd99d163fc8a.jpg

I usually pick up one of those for a St. Patrick’s Day feast.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Brisketexan said:

Made my BLT with egg again. Had a little yolk run out, smeared it on the top so as not to lose it.

98e63a22a2c9a9ea0cf25a9bc3e2c6ea.jpg

nice.  mayo, or the Whip?  I feel like you could be a Whip guy in certain, appropriate situations.  like on a BLET sandwich.  

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

nice.  mayo, or the Whip?  I feel like you could be a Whip guy in certain, appropriate situations.  like on a BLET sandwich.  

Nope, not a Whip man.  A little mayo on one side....and the Trader Joe's version of dona sauce on the other.

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Trader Joe's version of dona sauce on the other.

Been making Dona sauce for the last few months. I used to buy the green sauce that comes in a bag they sell at HEB. But 1) sometimes it can be a little too thick/chunky and 2) at $5 a pop for a small bag i think it's a little pricey. It's much easier to make than I suspected. Broil jalapenos and roast garlic (works if you throw it in the oven while jalapenos are broiling but place in indirect heat), throw jalapenos in bag to steam for a bit, then throw everything in blender with oil and salt. You can de-seed as many jalapenos as you want to control spice level. You can also choose to de-skin the them after but I find that step to be unnecessary.

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Been making Dona sauce for the last few months. I used to buy the green sauce that comes in a bag they sell at HEB. But 1) sometimes it can be a little too thick/chunky and 2) at $5 a pop for a small bag i think it's a little pricey. It's much easier to make than I suspected. Broil jalapenos and roast garlic (works if you throw it in the oven while jalapenos are broiling but place in indirect heat), throw jalapenos in bag to steam for a bit, then throw everything in blender with oil and salt. You can de-seed as many jalapenos as you want to control spice level. You can also choose to de-skin the them after but I find that step to be unnecessary.

you skin the jalapenos after the steam?  Or leave on?

This chick did a pretty thorough attempt to replicate the dona as closely as possible.

http://clairemcwhite.github.io/dona-recipe/

I'm not nearly that scientific. I get a bunch of jalapenos, typically leave seeds in half and de-seed half. Broil them in the oven and put garlic in the same oven but just not under the direct heat. Steam em in a bag for 10 mins, and blend it all with salt and vegetable oil. You could probably add cilantro, lime juice, avocado, etc. After blending I put a splash of white vinegar and pulse once as a preservative.

Sorry for the salsa thread derail...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I've done both, but I don't think skinning them is necessary. You're basically liquefying everything in the blender. 

that sauce gets that doña creamy consistency with just japs, garlic, and oil?  would not have guessed.  always assumed there was some cream in it. 

Saved this from the TOS. Pretty spot on. 

Boil a bunch of jalapenos for 15 minutes
drain the water and let them steam in a bag for 15 minutes.
during all that blend ONE egg yolk, about a 1/4 tsp mustard, 1/4 tsp salt,
and 3 reg.-sized cloves of garlic. Leave it in the blender.
(these ingredients are necessary to make is stay creamy even
after its been in the fridge).
When the peppers have cooled down sufficiently (so that they don't cook the egg) chop off their tops and drip-dry drain the water out of them.
They don't have to be super dry.
Leave the skin and seeds in it.
Drop them into the blender one at a time while it's on.
when all that is going, try to get a nice whirl pool going on and add
a little less that 1/4 Cup of Vegetable oil.
Add that in a few drops at a time to make sure that it's not all just collecting at the top of the liquid.
Blend it up until it is nice and smooth.
That's it.
Enjoy.

Pretty sure I read years ago the green sauce from el pollo regio was just jalapeños boiled until soft (15-20 minutes) then allowed to cool. Stems removed and then blended in a blender with some soybean oil till it’s the right consistency based on how many jalapeños you used. Then the salt added to taste. The Donna sauce is very similar although it’s not as hot as the ones I get from the Dallas area el pollo regios.

• Hook 'Em 1

We do the boiled jap sauce pretty often. We boil for 10-15 minutes and place them in the blender with a 1/3C of oil and 1/3C of the Jalapeño water.  We add some garlic toes, s&p and blend until smooth.  We don’t seed or stem the peppers, just blend up the whole damn thing.

We do the boiled jap sauce pretty often. We boil for 10-15 minutes and place them in the blender with a 1/3C of oil and 1/3C of the Jalapeño water.  We add some garlic toes, s&p and blend until smooth.  We don’t seed or stem the peppers, just blend up the whole damn thing.

Maybe I’ll make some. But damn, that bottle from Trader Joe’s is easy and convenient. Just had it on my scrambled eggs. Makes me happy.

I’m in Amarillo, the closest TJ is in Albuquerque NM with a state required two week quarantine. Plus it’s more funner to make your own. I know you know this, I’ve seen some of your concoctions.

Speaking of New Mexico, we went through Santa Fe last week and the square is like a freakin ghost town, it was eerie.