Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

11 hours ago, futureman said:

I’m confused about pictures 2 and 3.  what’s going on there that allowed you to arrive at picture 4?

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Fold egg over on itself on one muff, place other muff on top

This. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

ok but how do you go from pic 2 to pic 3?  flip the whole thing in the air so the muff tops invert?

Pour the egg-veg mixture into a well-buttered pan and let them cook a bit with the muffins w/ cheese and bacon (Pic 2). Once the eggs have solidified - think omelette consistency- or are done to your liking, you have to flip everything over (pic 3). The whole thing should slide around the pan as one mass if you shake it. I don’t have a long offset spatula like Kenji used in the vid, so I used a regular one. You gotta commit; no hesitation. Once flipped, let it cook a little bit longer, then fold the top and bottom of the eggs up, then fold the muffins together (pic 4). That was the hardest part, IMHO. The bottom muffin slid around as I tried to flip the other half up. 

A few things I learned from this:

1. A non-stick or well-seasoned pan is essential.
2. It’s best to use two medium eggs. I used the two very largest eggs in the dozen for mine, and it didn’t turn out as well as the ones I made for the wife and kid with medium/more regular-sized ones. 
3. I tried skimping on the butter in the pan when cooking the eggs. Don’t. My eggs didn’t brown as nicely as Kenji’s did in the vid. That may be due to him using carbon steel vs my non-stick pan, but I think it’s also that he used more butter. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 11:24 PM, Dutch said:

This. 

Pour the egg-veg mixture into a well-buttered pan and let them cook a bit with the muffins w/ cheese and bacon (Pic 2). Once the eggs have solidified - think omelette consistency- or are done to your liking, you have to flip everything over (pic 3). The whole thing should slide around the pan as one mass if you shake it. I don’t have a long offset spatula like Kenji used in the vid, so I used a regular one. You gotta commit; no hesitation. Once flipped, let it cook a little bit longer, then fold the top and bottom of the eggs up, then fold the muffins together (pic 4). That was the hardest part, IMHO. The bottom muffin slid around as I tried to flip the other half up. 

A few things I learned from this:

1. A non-stick or well-seasoned pan is essential.
2. It’s best to use two medium eggs. I used the two very largest eggs in the dozen for mine, and it didn’t turn out as well as the ones I made for the wife and kid with medium/more regular-sized ones. 
3. I tried skimping on the butter in the pan when cooking the eggs. Don’t. My eggs didn’t brown as nicely as Kenji’s did in the vid. That may be due to him using carbon steel vs my non-stick pan, but I think it’s also that he used more butter. 

Thank you for posting the link, that was quite a revelation to watch his video. My husband loves when I make eggs benedict but this seems like a good alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

Any recommendations on rye bread?  First, I like the flavor.  Second, it's actually a little less simple carb depending on the rye flour content.

But, Pepperidge Farm is tasty, but the loaf/slices are too small/rectangular.  Orowheat tastes fine and has a decent size for sammiches, but it's really soft/tender and tears too easily for sammiches, especially if griddled.

Cobblestone makes a good one, but I can't find it in stores anymore.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Any recommendations on rye bread?  First, I like the flavor.  Second, it's actually a little less simple carb depending on the rye flour content.

But, Pepperidge Farm is tasty, but the loaf/slices are too small/rectangular.  Orowheat tastes fine and has a decent size for sammiches, but it's really soft/tender and tears too easily for sammiches, especially if griddled.

I get two good kinds of rye bread -- for sandwiches and the like, from an HEB with a good in-store bakery.  They make a pretty good rye bread.

For a more European style, good with butter at breakfast, that sort of thing, I hit up a little Russian grocery store.  They sell small frozen loaves that come from a bakery in NYC, I believe.  It tastes like what you'd have at breakfast in Germany, Russia, Poland, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I get two good kinds of rye bread -- for sandwiches and the like, from an HEB with a good in-store bakery.  They make a pretty good rye bread.

For a more European style, good with butter at breakfast, that sort of thing, I hit up a little Russian grocery store.  They sell small frozen loaves that come from a bakery in NYC, I believe.  It tastes like what you'd have at breakfast in Germany, Russia, Poland, etc.

I should check the store bakery.  And also probably get to CM more often.  Every couple of weeks I get a fresh loaf of french bread from the store bakery, make a couple of sandwiches and eat it like cake.  I'm such a carb fiend.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Central Market makes a dark rye that is money.  they don't always have it on hand, so i call ahead and when they do, pick up 2-3 loaves and keep the extras in the freezer.  my GF makes damn good bread, but haven't been able to convince her to make Russian rye yet.

• Hook 'Em 2