RIP Little Richard

UTCzech III

Rolling Stone

Little Richard, a founding father of rock and roll whose fervent shrieks, flamboyant garb, and joyful, gender-bending persona embodied the spirit and sound of that new art form, died Saturday. He was 87. The musician’s son, Danny Penniman, confirmed the pioneer’s death to Rolling Stone, but said the cause of death was unknown.

Rock n roll had been percolating for a few years, but this intro is damn Big Bang as far as I'm concerned...

John Bonham loved this one enough to emulate it years later...

• Like 6

This guy’s influence cannot be overstated. Not only a brilliant songwriter and performer, but a hell of a bandleader. He really had an eye for talent.

He had a very young Billy Preston on keyboards and a very young Jimi Hendrix on guitar. What a band.

When he was speaking at Lemmy’s funeral, Dave Grohl talked about how much he and Lemmy both loved little Richard and we are influenced by him. It was a touching thing to see. Dave said he’d gotten little Richard’s autograph and planned to give it to Lemmy for his birthday but Lemmy died before he had the chance.

• Like 2

I think this is my favorite.

Also, some time in college I found a greatest hits cassette in a bargain bin.  I used to blast it in my car driving around west campus.  Although it wasn't current, it was familiar, and tended to make people smile.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

Little Richard, now that was an original.  His fingerprints are on so much music, even today.  He will be missed.  RIP you crazy diamond. 

Saw him in the early '70s at Gregory Gym.  Opening act was the Youngbloods.  I think a lot were there to see the Youngbloods, mostly college students.  Smashing show. He had the whole place really rocking by the end of the set.  Quite a contrast in bands.  Glad I got to see him live.

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Sad news. RIP to a rock legend and icon.

But is it?   Dude lived to 87 years of age.  He died knowing that he was loved my millions of fans, and loved AND respected by just about anybody that ever picked up an instrument  or screamed into a mic. 

No reason to be sad.  A million reasons to crank up some Little Richard music. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

But is it?   Dude lived to 87 years of age.  He died knowing that he was loved my millions of fans, and loved AND respected by just about anybody that ever picked up an instrument  or screamed into a mic. 

I'm sorry.  I meant to say, "Hooray! Little Richard died!"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yep.  A good life.  Quite a "dash."

It's ok to be sad he's gone, though.  But it's not tragic or anything.

Edited by TwiceHorn

52 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You’re going to be bawling when Keith Richards dies and you know it.

• Like 1

https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2000-05-26/77370/

This pretty much how I remember it.  Except his gigantic, yet dapper, security men went throughout the audience handing out religious tracts.  You know the type, soft yellow tones with 70s font on the front.  A bible verse for every occasion within.  Wait, what's this stuck in the middle?  Why, it's a head shot of the man himself!   The one thing they don't mention - if Little Richard played a full song that night, I don't remember it.  He'd do a verse-chorus pounding away on some greatest hit, then stop to do some signifying, and off he'd go on the next 1.5 minute version of another great hit.  It was a wild time.  

Little Richard

Gruene Hall, May 6

Visualize $300 -- 15 crisp $20 bills fresh from the ATM tucked neatly into your wallet. Now envision spending them on your share of the rent, a car payment, a new TV or DVD player. Or maybe you could break it down this way: two tickets to Little Richard, two T-shirts, half a dozen Lone Star longnecks for you and your date, and skinflint tips for the bartender. Who'd be willing to do that, you ask? A couple hundred well-heeled, 50-and-up white folks, that's who. R.J. Penniman entered in grand style, emerging from a Shamu-sized Lincoln Town Car limo flanked by several dapper, stony-faced security men, his alter ego "Little Richard" baring his teeth at the audience in a terrifying rictus grin, cameras flashing. Laying one finger to a piano key, he bellowed "Good Golly Miss Molly," and from that point on, he had the audience eating out of his finely manicured, 68-year-old hand. After admonishing the soundman to "turn up my piano like you do Jerry Lee," he plowed through one number after another -- "Jenny Jenny," "Blueberry Hill," "Tutti Frutti,"and "I'm Walkin'." When he invited ladies from the audience to dance onstage, there were four takers: two nondescript younger women, a blonde who appeared to be roughly 102 years old, and another blond woman who could've been in a Russ Meyer movie 30 years ago. The two younger women were obviously self-conscious, but the Russ Meyer gal danced hard enough for the rest of them. It would have been transcendent, had the foursome not been dancing to a cover of Bob Seger's abominable "Old Time Rock and Roll." Richard also pulled out a weird, swampy version of Hank Williams' "Lovesick Blues" and turned "Be Bop A Lula" into a deliberate blues drag that spoke of pure s-e-x. Continually tossing off bon mots like little perfumed hand grenades, Richard addressed one audience member with: "You gonna make me scream like a white woman!! White woman goes, 'Eeeeeeee!!!í' black woman goes, 'Woof!'" The set closer was a version of "Long Tall Sally" sped up nearly to a punk rock blitzkrieg, Richard pummeling that baby grand like it was his worst enemy, and like a flash the security squad hustled him out to the waiting limo. It was pure showbiz, a reminder of why Little Richard is still John Waters' favorite rocker, and if anyone in the audience felt shortchanged for their $79 admission and $50 T-shirts ("They're collector's items, I'm retiring -- they won't make any more. Shut up!") they didn't show it.

• Like 1

I met Little Richard once in an elevator in an LA hotel in the late 1990s. Was in town for business and had gone with some co-workers to Lakers/Rockets the night before and then out to some bars afterwards. Was riding down the elevator in a quest for some sort of hangover cure when the elevator stopped at the floor beneath mine and Little Richard and his posse get on. Little Richard immediately turns to me and goes. "Where you from young man". I told him "Houston". His face lights up and he goes "Houston! I just love Houston....I got my start in Houston way back in the 50s." (which I later read was true-he spent time in Houston very early in his career) He grabs my hand and goes. "You tell all my friends in Houston that Little Richard sends his love!". Then he proceeds to tell his posse to give me some of their religious materials (the same yellow colored religious materials referenced in the post above). As he walks off he says "God bless you young man". Although it was a 30 sec encounter, he was as nice and flamboyant in real life as he was on stage.

RIP Little Richard.  As everyone has said, much of the music I grew up listening to was influenced by him. I believe the 2 greatest muscial influences from the 50s were Elvis and Little Richard - wish I could have seen Little Richard perform in his prime.

A Whop bop b-luma b-lop bam boom!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

I met Little Richard once in an elevator in an LA hotel in the late 1990s. Was in town for business and had gone with some co-workers to Lakers/Rockets the night before and then out to some bars afterwards. Was riding down the elevator in a quest for some sort of hangover cure when the elevator stopped at the floor beneath mine and Little Richard and his posse get on. Little Richard immediately turns to me and goes. "Where you from young man". I told him "Houston". His face lights up and he goes "Houston! I just love Houston....I got my start in Houston way back in the 50s." (which I later read was true-he spent time in Houston very early in his career) He grabs my hand and goes. "You tell all my friends in Houston that Little Richard sends his love!". Then he proceeds to tell his posse to give me some of their religious materials (the same yellow colored religious materials referenced in the post above). As he walks off he says "God bless you young man". Although it was a 30 sec encounter, he was as nice and flamboyant in real life as he was on stage.

RIP Little Richard.  As everyone has said, much of the music I grew up listening to was influenced by him. I believe the 2 greatest muscial influences from the 50s were Elvis and Little Richard - wish I could have seen Little Richard perform in his prime.

A Whop bop b-luma b-lop bam boom!

And Chuck Berry.