2018 CFB rule changes

Machinator

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-04-13/alteration-football-kickoff-rule-approved

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved altering football’s kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback.

The Football Rules Committee made the proposal to continue efforts to increase the number of touchbacks during kickoffs since fewer injuries occur during kickoffs that result in touchbacks than on kickoffs that are returned. All other aspects of the kickoff play will remain the same.

The new rule is the latest in a series of changes the committee has made in recent years in hopes of making the play safer. Before the 2012 season, kickoffs were moved from the 30-yard line to the 35. The committee also changed the starting position on touchbacks that year so that the receiving team started its drive on the 25-yard line instead of the 20.

Blocks below the waist

The panel approved a package of rules with the goal of making it easier for players, coaches and officials to understand, execute and coach blocking below the waist.

The most noticeable change pertains to offensive blocks: The offense will not be allowed to block below the waist when the block occurs more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Additionally, other than the interior linemen, all blocks below the waist must be from the front.

Pace of play

The panel approved two proposals that further its efforts to keep the game moving. After a touchdown, the play clock will be set at 40 seconds to expedite the extra point or two-point conversion attempt. Additionally, following a kickoff, the play clock will be set to 40 seconds to restart play more quickly.

Other significant rules changes

• The addition of a 10-second runoff was approved when instant replay overturns the ruling on the field inside of one minute in either half, and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock.
  • The panel approved the continuation of an experimental collaborative decision-making model for instant replay that is not limited to the press box in the stadium. For example, officials involved in the replay process could be located in a conference office.
  • Leaping rules on field goals and extra points were adjusted to mirror similar rules regarding leaping the shield on punting plays. It is illegal to leap over the frame of the body of an opponent.
  • On successful field goals, penalty enforcement will be the same as on made extra points. Namely, all personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls by the defending team will have the option to be enforced on the ensuing kickoff.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The addition of a 10-second runoff was approved when instant replay overturns the ruling on the field inside of one minute in either half, and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock.

That seems like a pretty big deal. I'm interested to see this one in action during a game.

Just now, Longboard Horn said:

So if I'm reading this correctly, if you fair catch a kickoff on the 10 yard line, for example, it will count as a touchback and they will place the ball at the 25? 

Yep. And if you run it out of the endzone and get tackled shy of the 25, any coach worth a shit will make you run laps til you puke.

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yep. And if you run it out of the endzone and get tackled shy of the 25, any coach worth a shit will make you run laps til you puke.

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

That makes no sense. It should only be considered a touchback if fair caught or kneeled in the endzone

It still is.  You either fair catch it shy of the 25 or take a knee in the endzone to get the touchback.   

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It still is.  You either fair catch it shy of the 25 or take a knee in the endzone to get the touchback.   

I may be wrong, but I interpreted LH's comment to be an indictment of the change, not a misunderstanding of it. "It makes no sense" to have a fair catch shy of the 25 be a touchback. Because, you know, it doesn't. It's a stupid rule change.

The effect of moving kickoffs up 5 yards and assigning touchbacks to the 25 yard line was kickers kicking the ball high and forcing the returner to catch the kickoff inside the 5 or 10 and ideally near the sideline to pen them in deep. This new rule takes away that strategy because the returner will just wave for a fair catch. Now coaches must come up with a way have a kick bounce somewhere so they can’t signal fair catch but takes long enough to field so their gunners can get down there and make a tackle before the receiving team can set up a return. 

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The effect of moving kickoffs up 5 yards and assigning touchbacks to the 25 yard line was kickers kicking the ball high and forcing the returner to catch the kickoff inside the 5 or 10 and ideally near the sideline to pen them in deep. This new rule takes away that strategy because the returner will just wave for a fair catch. Now coaches must come up with a way have a kick bounce somewhere so they can’t signal fair catch but takes long enough to field so their gunners can get down there and make a tackle before the receiving team can set up a return. 

That was the effect, but I think the intent was the same as is being pushed by this change--to reduce the number of dangerous returns and encourage touchbacks.

Edited by DDD Dad

37 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I may be wrong, but I interpreted LH's comment to be an indictment of the change, not a misunderstanding of it. "It makes no sense" to have a fair catch shy of the 25 be a touchback. Because, you know, it doesn't. It's a stupid rule change.

It’s a good change if the goal is to prevent players having brain damage.

If your goal is more touchbacks, just get rid of kickoffs.  

No one likes watching touchbacks.  

Or hell, just ask the receiving team if they'd like the ball on the 30, or if they'd like a chance to return the kick.  Most teams would take it at the 30 most of the time, and we haven't wasted time on a meaningless play.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It's stupid and unnecessary 

36 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Or hell, just ask the receiving team if they'd like the ball on the 30, or if they'd like a chance to return the kick.  Most teams would take it at the 30 most of the time, and we haven't wasted time on a meaningless play.

I'd guess they're not eliminating the kickoff entirely so that onside kicks are still an option.

16 hours ago, kopp0e said:

With CTE head injuries the kickoff will probably be replaced in the future... If I remember, the XFL had an odd way that kickoffs went as well...

Only thing I can think of is they didn't allow fair catches, not that you see a lot of that on kickoffs.  What you may be thinking of is the pre-game "scramble" where a dude from each team runs at the ball placed on the 50 yard line.  Whichever team grabs the ball gets to pick whether they want to kick or receive.  The scramble was in lieu of a coin toss.

i think every team would need to look at their average results on kick returns when catching the ball inside the 25 yard line to decide if it is better for them to fair catch. also would depend on how good the opponent is on kickoff coverage. if your offense can't get anything going that day you return all the ones you can to try and get a spark.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Only thing I can think of is they didn't allow fair catches, not that you see a lot of that on kickoffs.  What you may be thinking of is the pre-game "scramble" where a dude from each team runs at the ball placed on the 50 yard line.  Whichever team grabs the ball gets to pick whether they want to kick or receive.  The scramble was in lieu of a coin toss.

Ok yeah it was the mad scramble that I couldn't remember... Thanks..!

In the long run, it will probably be safer to just place the ball at the 20 after the opponent scores...

Edited by kopp0e

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, Beau Vine said:

we would still get a commercial before the kickoff decision and after.

On April 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM, hobbes2702 said:

It’s a good change if the goal is to prevent players having brain damage.

How many players have gotten brain damage fair catching a kick? If you fair catch at the 15, the ball should be spotted at the 15, not the 25. How does spotting it at the 25 instead of the 15 prevent players from having brain damage?

The practice of preventing the Offense from play while the D is subbing is okay, but the play clock should stop, or it should reset to 25 when D is ready. I saw a fair number of delay penalties caused by ref preventing play until under ten seconds on the clock. The 25 second rule is from the ball being ready for play, right? Obviously if the refs are preventing play, the ball isn't ready. Maybe instead of spotting the ball and starting the play clock, let the ref hold the ball until everybody really is ready, then spot it and start the 25. 

Of course the intent is have fewer returns. My earlier post was saying smart coaches will come up with a gimmick to play this rule to their advantage and result in something other than the intended effect. 

Like in the NFL when they started the 25 yardline touchback, Belichick and others started having their kickers does a sky high kick and drop it in around the 5 yard line and close to a sideline. Often the returnees wouldn’t make it out to the 25. Probably resulted in fewer touchbacks instead of more for these teams’ opponents. 

Eliminating the kickoff doesn’t exclude onside kicks. The NFL bastardized extra points where you have to declare a 1pt or 2pt attempt. Where the fuck is the element of surprise and extra excitement of the game? Roger Goodell, why hath thou forsaken the Swinging Gate?? They will probably eliminate kickoffs one day and there will never be a mid-game surprise onside kick again.