Best football commentator on tv/internet is...

Fastbreak

Watching our old games on LHN, I’ve noticed that Gary Danielson struggles with verb tense, & consistently thinks Texas will struggle with physicality.  After a few games where the Horns don’t, he maintains the narrative.

On the PxP side, Sean McDonough makes a lot of mistakes for one who gets good reviews.  Went on & on over UTs fan support in 2015, citing the large OU contingent in the north end zone.  You know, where OU gets the ticket allocation to equalize for the tunnel being on their end.

Brad Nessler. Maybe the millions of hours of NCAA Football I’ve played over the years have prejudiced my opinion, but I’ve always thought he is the best in the business. Should have been ESPN/ABC’s lead announcer once Keith Jackson retired. 

Joel Klatt @ #2. The constant trolling of aggy and the secsecsec is a side benefit to his consistently good analysis.

Tony Romo rounds out my top 3. Called out the plays of the Chiefs/Pats AFC title game pre-snap, like the whole damn game. I also like his excitement level (just enough, not too much). 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Chris Simms is ok but he's a little too "hot take guy" for my tastes. 

He's a hell of a lot better than his milquetoast dad. But has CSimms actually spent any time in the booth? 

Yeah, Lamar Jackson being better than baker mayfield, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Sam Darnold really turned out to be a hot take lol. 

Other than this one take (and him saying he doesn’t think Blake Bortles was one of the 60 best QBs in the league when he was starting for Jax...another hot take he wasn’t very far off on) I can’t think of anything else that he’s said that would truly classify as a hot take. And he was getting CRUSHED by everyone for how ridiculous that sounded predraft. Maybe a blind squirrel finds a nut, but he really stuck his neck out on that one, was the only person in the media that felt that way, and ended up being spot on. All the other “hot takes” he has (ie get rid of the salary cap so owners stop using it as an excuse to not pay players) aren’t that crazy to me. 

I like Simms a lot, but in terms of guys that do similar things (so not romo, or most of the people named in this thread), I like Pat McAfee. He’s a bit of a clown, but also extremely knowledgeable of the game. Dan Orlovsky is ok too. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

No Ian Eagle love?? That dude is awesome.

Raises hand, enjoy him and Spanarkel on CBB broadcasts, get to enjoy his work a lot for the Nets games.  I think Spero Dedes needs more national attention. 

On 5/11/2020 at 1:08 PM, SimonBolivar said:

I like Al Michaels, but that's just for nostalgia reasons. Hearing his voice is like hearing Keith Jackson or Pat Summerall for me.

I like him too.  Unfortunately he has one of the worst partners in the business.

Jooooooel Klatt, dunununah, Joel Klatt. 
Klatt is the best color guy out there. Romo and Aikman close 2nds. I like Gus Johnson just fine, but my dream CFP matchup would be Nessler and Klatt. 
Nantz is fine in the pros (really cheesy on golf) and Buck is great, but Harlan the best PBP guy. Romo is more entertaining than Aikman. 
Agree with nessler as well. Most like Klatt already even though he loses his train of thought at times for some odd reason.

Michaels is great but he’s nowhere near Jackson or Sumerall. Collingsworth is good, and I’ve never understood the beef with him. 
Sumerall and madden were so great back in the day. Madden would go off on some tangent and PS would try to follow but fail miserably, mumbling something not even remotely close to where John was going.

I miss the sweat contest.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Michaels is great but he’s nowhere near Jackson or Sumerall. Collingsworth is good, and I’ve never understood the beef with him. 

besides being annoying as fuck and in love with hisself, yeah, he's real likeable.

15 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

He’s not the best but I’ve been really impressed with Brock Huard the past two seasons of CFB.  I think he’s moved up to one of ESPNs top guys.  

Think Huard is with Fox now, always joke that he looks like a 50s matinee idol something from a Disney movie for that era. 

• Like 1