North Carolina deputy fired, charged after leading white ‘mob’ to black teen’s home

RPM

Wrong house? Oops, but you're still black!

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/north-carolina-deputy-fired-charged-after-leading-white-mob-black-teens-home-cops-say/6ZBCSEL26ZHAVEZQR3ZGLCWW3I/

The Associated Press reported that Kita led the group, which was searching for a 15-year-old girl who had been reported missing, to the home of Dameon Shepard, a senior at Laney High School in Wilmington.

The men tried unsuccessfully to force their way inside.

James Lea, an attorney representing Shepard and his family, wrote in a letter obtained by WECT in Wilmington that the men were looking for a person named Josiah who lived next door to the Shepards but moved out of the neighborhood about a month before the incident. They went to the Shepard home, where the teen was awake and playing video games.

The men demanded information about the girl’s whereabouts and wanted to speak to Josiah.

Shepard identified himself by name multiple times -- and pointed out a sign in his front yard bearing his name and celebrating his pending graduation from high school -- but the men continued to demand answers to their questions, Lea wrote.

One man was armed with a shotgun and another had an assault weapon, the attorney alleged.

Lea wrote that Shepard attempted to close the front door, but Kita stuck his foot in the doorway and demanded he be allowed inside, WECT reported.

Shepard’s mother, Monica Shepard, was awakened by the commotion. She told the news station she also tried to make the men leave, to no avail.

“He just said, ‘I’m going to step inside, close the door and talk to you guys.’ And I said, ‘No you’re not,’” Monica Shepard said of Kita. “He had his foot on the threshold of my door, holding the door open and he said it again. He said, ‘I’m going to step inside close the door and I’ll talk to you,’ when I said, ‘No you’re not.’”

The group eventually realized they were at the wrong home and began to break up. Around that same time, Pender County sheriff’s deputies arrived at the scene, Lea said.

The attorney said the deputies took no names and conducted little, if any, investigation of what happened, WECT reported. The missing 15-year-old was later found safe.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

The deputy was black right?  Totally innocent mistake.  When did sheriffs deputies start recruiting the public to search for suspects? I am surprised so many smart, capable, overweight, people with Type 2 diabetes have time to participate in the recon missions.  Don't they have high paying and demanding jobs in the morning?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had a Sheriff deputy come to our house very late one night to tell us that our business next door had it's front door open when it was typically closed and they wanted to make sure nobody had broke into our shop. It was very nice of them however they knocked on our back door at 1 am and kept saying "Sheriffs Department" when my Dad kept screaming through the window he wanted to see a badge before he opened the door. We couldn't see his vehicle because he parked it by our shop and not our house, I think he had a jacket on over his uniform, and he didn't have the hat our local guys wear a lot. So outside him yelling he was a Sheriff we had no idea what this guy was trying to do. My Dad finally said he was armed and if he didn't show his badge they were going to have a problem if he didn't leave immediately. The guy backed up and pulled out a badge and said his name and told us why he was there. That was my first glimpse into how dumb some of these guys can be.

• Like 1