If we have a football season, are you in?

927 E. 41st

So if football is a "go", do you go?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Let's say it's decided football will start on schedule. Masks are required. Are you in?

• Yes, I'd go no matter the circumstances.
    • Yes, if the virus seems under control.
    • Yes, but only if we have a vaccine.
    • No, I have, or am close to someone with a risk factor.
    • No, it's not worth the risk.
    • No, I go to two games or less a year anyway.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/16/20 at 02:49 AM

Like many of you, my very favorite time of year.  Six Saturdays with my friends, drinking beer, talking shit, and hopefully watching the Horns win.  Thing is, that can be replicated at home without most of the risk.  It's surely not the same as being in DKR, yet if you think about it like they're all road games (which I don't usually attend), it could be passable.  

• Like 1

On the one hand, I'm in good enough shape for almost 60 that I don't think the virus is likely to hurt me if I get it.  On the other hand if I catch it and I'm asymptomatic and I unknowingly give it to someone else, that would suck.   So the answer is I go to the games and you fuckers stay home if you've got health problems.  

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

I typically get to ~9 games/year between living in Austin and using away games as "business travel" excuses.  I can't foresee a scenario next year where I'd attend a single game.  

It bothered me two months ago.  Now, I really don't care.  I've got two little ones, some pre-existing conditions myself, and really don't want to have my mother die of this either.  She's 74, Mexican, overweight, and a smoker.  One of us passes it to her and she's done.  

Plus, there's way too many dipshits who find masks and hand sanitizer to be signs of weakness and college football tends to bring out the overly-confident Uncle Rico's of the world anyway.  They can send each other to the ICU for all I give a shit.  I'm sitting this one out.  

I'm young, but I'm in the bottom option. Honestly, given my location and how cheap tickets will probably be, I'll probably finally hit up Michigan or Penn State at Rutgers and/or an Army game, and, if I'm still dating my current Eli girlfriend, go to Harvard-Yale.

Edited by texifornia

I am not worried about myself but about others that are around me. I am 53 and have only missed 2 days of work due to illness in 31 years. I travel a lot domestically and internationally for work so I have built up quite the immune system.  Chances are I would have it but would not show signs of it.  My parents are in their late 70's and my mom is not in the best health plus I have two granddaughters 8 months and 6 weeks old respectively so I do not want to be "that person".

I only make 2 or 3 games a year anyway.

• Like 1

I am not worried about myself but about others that are around me. I am 53 and have only missed 2 days of work due to illness in 31 years. I travel a lot domestically and internationally for work so I have built up quite the immune system.  Chances are I would have it but would not show signs of it.  My parents are in their late 70's and my mom is not in the best health plus I have two granddaughters 8 months and 6 weeks old respectively so I do not want to be "that person".

You are not putting them danger. None. Grow the fuck up.

6 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Same here but minus the parents and grandparents.  I'm not worried about me but asymptomatic transmission seems to be the most likely way to infect someone and I don't want to be part of the problem.  

Also, I live in Dallas.  I always go to the OU game and TCU, when it's in Ft. Worth.  Then I usually make one trip to Austin, so not a huge deal for me. 

We will be tailgating with family for sure.

Not so sure about sitting jam packed in Section 1 with masks, 100 degree heat, and Covid cough spreading assholes with no masks.

When the weather cools down, hell yes, I’ll be there with my sanitizer sprayer to mitigate those unmasked coughing assholes who hate bluehairs that have made it so far.

• Like 3

I didn't renew season tickets. This year's home schedule is particularly shitty anyway. Watching Herman trot slow TE out in 4 wide sets as well as stubbornly running the same rushing play 3 times in a row and also putting no emphasis on special teams the past couple seasons (on heels of prior 8 shit years) make me in total wait and see mode on this team anyway.

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

You are not putting them danger. None. Grow the fuck up.

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

None of you are in danger, and none of you are putting others in danger. Grow up and get over this fear.

Under no circumstance would I sit in a hundred degree heat with a mask on. None.

You were dropped on your head when you were an infant, weren't you?

I'm approaching 80 years old and my views towards sports changed as I aged.  For 30 years I was in my seat for every home game and some road trips.  As ESPN and FOX improved their coverage and traffic and other headaches (weather) became more hassle I decidedly preferred to watch on big screen at home or with friends.  All that said I hope you younger folks continue to show and represent those of us who you complain about refusing to stand the entire game lol.

I cannot imagine the ou game without a crowd.  I have made a promise this year that before much longer I will personally attend another ou game in Dallas.  I haven't been since 2009.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

She's 74, Mexican, overweight, and a smoker.  One of us passes it to her and she's done.  

Smoking seems to be protecting people from COVID-19.  The data suggests it's the opposite of a risk factor.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2020/05/02/smokers-seem-less-likely-than-non-smokers-to-fall-ill-with-covid-19 

Guest Lobo

I've read that many times and it gives me some encouragement.  But she also gets pneumonia a couples times a year suggesting she has long had another issue with her lungs.  And of course with medicare, and me picking up the rest of her medical bills, she's decided against seeking treatment for it for several years because she's afraid they'll tell her to quit smoking.  I'm guessing the Covid-19 virus doesn't like to attach on to burnt lungs kinda like the zombies in World War Z wouldn't attack hosts with terminal communicable diseases.  

But thanks for that link, that's one story from a very reputable outlet that I haven't seen yet.  Have some rep.

Early on the news stories were saying the Chinese were having so much trouble BECAUSE they were heavy smokers. It's an interesting anomaly, but I don't think I'm ready to pick up some cigars just yet. 

Best of luck to you and your mom Lobo, keep her safe.

I used to love going to games as a kid when i was in college. Now, even for big games, I prefer watching on the couch in 4K, drinking the beer i already bought, and pausing/fast forwarding through commercials to go to the restroom. So this pandemic just solidifies how I would already be leaning regardless.

With that being said, if we’re “back to normal”‘and I get invited out to a sports bar with a few friends to watch a big game or watch a fight, I’m 100% going to be there. I’ll follow whatever rules you want me to follow no problem (including wearing a mask and SIP orders, obviously), but other than that I will continue to live my regular life. If the gym is open, I’ll be there the first day they open. If I get invited to dine in at a restaurant tomorrow, I’ll probably be there.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

I didn't renew season tickets. This year's home schedule is particularly shitty anyway. Watching Herman trot slow TE out in 4 wide sets as well as stubbornly running the same rushing play 3 times in a row and also putting no emphasis on special teams the past couple seasons (on heels of prior 8 shit years) make me in total wait and see mode on this team anyway.

Now these are actual valid reasons to not go to games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Lotsa fair weather fans around.

At least that’s what we used to call them.

Even knew some of them bitching during the 2nd  of DKR’s three year stretch of 6-4 seasons.

From your avatar I can practically hear your post in Abe's voice.spacer.png

Edited by 927 E. 41st

38 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Lotsa fair weather fans around.

Fair weather? Personally I’ve been in the storm cellar a decade and counting. But please regale us with your Mensa and DKR comparisons. Or make some shadow puppets on the cellar wall. Equally entertaining 

18 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Fair weather? Personally I’ve been in the storm cellar a decade and counting. But please regale us with your Mensa and DKR comparisons. Or make some shadow puppets on the cellar wall. Equally entertaining 

Username definitely does not check out.

I support the Longhorn team players, not overpaid coaches.

Edited by Armybrat

Fuck yes, you're damn skippy i'm in

OU game in Dallas tho, it will still be hot as fuck at that time..dont think the virus will be a bfd by then..and effective treatment/drugs should be available by September.