Infrared thermometers?

Guest Lobo

So you're talking about infrared?  Like the type of light?  And you want to, maybe...get this light onto your body?  Or into it?  To read your temperature? 

Is that something we can do?  Can you look into that?  

I'd recommend a unit from MildSix.  We've been using them for years with the kids and during this pandemic.  And then compare it right after/right before we go to the pediatrician and see their commercial grade shit.  This thing has never been off by more than 0.1degrees in any instance, child or adult.  It's fast as shit too so no second guessing on whether it's working or not.  Easy to clean if you get paranoid and keeps battery life for years.  I just saw on amazon when I googled it to make sure they still made it, that it gets some 1-star reviews but those are because the boxes came damaged and people were upset it didn't come with batteries already in it, so basically the all-stars chimed in.  We just keep it on the bathroom shelf ready to go and it's always working and always extremely accurate.  

Harbor Freight

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2020/02/63985-36087822/

This is pretty basic technology. There’s no need to spend a bunch of money to take a human’s temperature.

Just keep in mind you can’t be across the room and take an accurate temperature. These measure the average temperature in a circle. The more expensive the thermometer the more points that are averaged in that circle. The thermometer that I posted above is 12:1. This means that the ratio of the distance away the thermometer is to the diameter of the circle you are measuring is 12 to 1. If you’re 2’ away, you’re measuring the average temperature of a 2” circle.

There’s also the issue of emissivity that I’m not going to get into. Just remember that you can’t take an accurate temperature of a shiny surface with an infrared thermometer.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 10:54 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I just got one of these.  Might be expensive compared to others, but it seems to work great.

I've used other ThermoWorks products and have never had any problems.

You can never go wrong with thermoworks products.  They make really good stuff.  They designed and started making the Wand just for the corona outbreak.

Edited by kevwun

On 5/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, luke duke said:

Harbor Freight

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2020/02/63985-36087822/

This is pretty basic technology. There’s no need to spend a bunch of money to take a human’s temperature.

Just keep in mind you can’t be across the room and take an accurate temperature. These measure the average temperature in a circle. The more expensive the thermometer the more points that are averaged in that circle. The thermometer that I posted above is 12:1. This means that the ratio of the distance away the thermometer is to the diameter of the circle you are measuring is 12 to 1. If you’re 2’ away, you’re measuring the average temperature of a 2” circle.

There’s also the issue of emissivity that I’m not going to get into. Just remember that you can’t take an accurate temperature of a shiny surface with an infrared thermometer.

You aren't going to get a 98.6 with one of those. However, if you learn what your normal reading is (forehead, ear, mouth) you can use that to gauge your temp.

• 2 weeks later...