Fluorescent lighting in garage

I have 5 tube light fixtures in my garage. Assuming they were all the same length (look same from distance) I bought 10 4ft LED tubes. I found out last night 3 of the fixtures are 6 ft. Cost for 6ft LEDs is substantially higher and they’re not as easy to find.

Since removing the ballast and rewiring will cause the fixture to function differently (one side has no power), can I cut 2 ft out of the fixture and still have it work? I think I would really just make one cut and overlap.

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I had the same issue for my mom's garage. I replaced the entire unit to LED. Was a little more work (easy job) but was way more cost effective. When my fluorescent tubes in my garage burn out, I will also replace entire fixture with LED.

Same. 

I had 2 units that I already took the ballast out and desired. Ordered tubes for them. Then ordered what was listed above for the 6 foot replacement situation. I also like the added options with placement the 6 individual 4 ft fixtures offer.

This is timely. The ballasts on our garage and master bedroom walk-in closet fluorescents are failing. I replaced one. House is only 6 years old. Don’t know the builder used them. Didn’t know this was an option. So it’s straightforward to take out the old florescent fixture and install the LEDs?

20 hours ago, HouTex said:

This is timely. The ballasts on our garage and master bedroom walk-in closet fluorescents are failing. I replaced one. House is only 6 years old. Don’t know the builder used them. Didn’t know this was an option. So it’s straightforward to take out the old florescent fixture and install the LEDs?

Just to be clear, we're talking about the whole lighting unit, not just the bulbs.

Yes very simple. Shut off breaker. Remove the flourescent fixture. Disconnect, red, white, and ground wires. Save the twist on wire connectors in case your new LED fixture doesn't have them.

With new LED fixture connect the red, white, and ground wires using the twist on connectors. Screw in LED fixture. Turn on breaker, flip light switch.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, we're talking about the whole lighting unit, not just the bulbs.
Yes very simple. Shut off breaker. Remove the flourescent fixture. Disconnect, red, white, and ground wires. Save the twist on wire connectors in case your new LED fixture doesn't have them.
With new LED fixture connect the red, white, and ground wires using the twist on connectors. Screw in LED fixture. Turn on breaker, flip light switch.

I replaced one of my three garage fixtures today. The only problem for me is working on a tall ladder. My garage has a 10 foot ceiling and attaching the new fixture to the ceiling while working on a tall ladder was the hardest part. It was worth it.

Got the six pack yesterday and installed. Looks nice.

For poster above, if possible I think taking out the ballast and quick rewire for LED tubes is easier. I rewire for single side, non-shunted. Takes about 5 min.

• Like 1

For poster above, if possible I think taking out the ballast and quick rewire for LED tubes is easier. I rewire for single side, non-shunted. Takes about 5 min.

I found those videos online and considered doing that. I said above my garage ceiling was 10 feet but it may be 12 feet. I haven’t measured it but it’s way taller than a basketball goal. My closet ceiling is normal height so I may try the rewire and keep the same fixtures in place.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:33 AM, kmac30 said:

I tried taking out the ballast on one of my closet fixtures and connected the tombstones directly to my power supply.  As shown in several Youtube videos, I decided to go with a dual side connection--mainly because it seemed that my tombstones are shunted and I did not want to replace them with non-shunted ones which are required for a single sided connection.  It was simple to cut the two blue wires coming from one end of the ballast and connect them to the white (N) wire from my ceiling.  Then there was a single red wire going from the other end of the ballast to the other two tombstones (it's hidden, but there must be a jumper connecting the two tombstones on that end) and I cut it and connected it to the black (L) wire from the ceiling.  The ground wire was left in place.  I replaced the cover over the wires and then inserted the new LED tubes and then turned the breaker back on and flipped the switch.  . . . Nothing.  It appears that the Phillips "plug and play" LED T8 tubes actually REQUIRE an electronic ballast.  They work fine on the other closet fixture that still has the ballast connected.  I bought some Damar LED tubes and the guy at Light Depot says they will work with or without a ballast.  We'll see.  

On 5/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, HouTex said:

I found those videos online and considered doing that. I said above my garage ceiling was 10 feet but it may be 12 feet. I haven’t measured it but it’s way taller than a basketball goal. My closet ceiling is normal height so I may try the rewire and keep the same fixtures in place.

On the re-wire, you will want to take the fixture down, rewire and then re-hang. Quick and easy, get the new tombstones as will also make way easier to rewire.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

On the re-wire, you will want to take the fixture down, rewire and then re-hang. Quick and easy, get the new tombstones as will also make way easier to rewire.

Thanks.  There are several videos of some re-wires that use the existing wiring to the tombstones.  They just cut the blue and red wires from the opposite ends of the ballast and then connect those to the black (L) and white (N)  wires from the ceiling.  It appears that you don't have to replace the tombstones to non-shunted tombstones unless you are using the single-sided LED tube that has the L and N connections only on one end.  At least I hope that's correct and that's how I've wired it.  I'll know tonight when I insert the new LED tube.

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Thanks.  There are several videos of some re-wires that use the existing wiring to the tombstones.  They just cut the blue and red wires from the opposite ends of the ballast and then connect those to the black (L) and white (N)  wires from the ceiling.  It appears that you don't have to replace the tombstones to non-shunted tombstones unless you are using the single-sided LED tube that has the L and N connections only on one end.  At least I hope that's correct and that's how I've wired it.  I'll know tonight when I insert the new LED tube.

i know that whole process is try to save the existing fixture but that's work with no guarantees that it'll work. look a few posts up. may be easier just to change out the whole unit to led unit.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

i know that whole process is try to save the existing fixture but that's work with no guarantees that it'll work. look a few posts up. may be easier just to change out the whole unit to led unit.

True.  And I did that for one of my fixtures in the garage.  I know the lights last a long time, but at least for the fixtures in my master closet I'd rather simply replace the tubes vs. re-wiring a new fixture if it goes out.

I’ve rewired a bunch id fixtures in my house (not sure why we have so many). Mine were all non-shunted single side. Or at least that’s how I wired them and they work.

One side has two blue wires to one tombstone and two red to the other tombstone. Both end up in the ballast. Then you have a single yellow going to the other side that has a connection between the two tombstones. I cut blue and red, match up one blue with one red and it goes to hot. Connect the other blue and red and that goes to white. Cut the yellow, cute the connection (don’t think it matters, just did it). Remove ballast, close it up and install tubes.

I tried taking out the ballast on one of my closet fixtures and connected the tombstones directly to my power supply.  As shown in several Youtube videos, I decided to go with a dual side connection--mainly because it seemed that my tombstones are shunted and I did not want to replace them with non-shunted ones which are required for a single sided connection.  It was simple to cut the two blue wires coming from one end of the ballast and connect them to the white (N) wire from my ceiling.  Then there was a single red wire going from the other end of the ballast to the other two tombstones (it's hidden, but there must be a jumper connecting the two tombstones on that end) and I cut it and connected it to the black (L) wire from the ceiling.  The ground wire was left in place.  I replaced the cover over the wires and then inserted the new LED tubes and then turned the breaker back on and flipped the switch.  . . . Nothing.  It appears that the Phillips "plug and play" LED T8 tubes actually REQUIRE an electronic ballast.  They work fine on the other closet fixture that still has the ballast connected.  I bought some Damar LED tubes and the guy at Light Depot says they will work with or without a ballast.  We'll see.  

Update: it works with the correct bulbs. The Damar LEDs are nice. I did the other fixture in the closet in about 15 minutes.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:57 AM, HouTex said:

spacer.png

Any suggestions for an upgrade if you have a standard light socket in the garage? Space is limited socket is between two garage doors, 8ft ceilings.

Replace the whole fixture with an LED fixture. Wiring is easy. The only issue I had when I did it was getting a good screw set in the sheetrock to hold the fixture. I hate those plastic things you insert in the sheetrock that hold the screw.