Cops break into EMT’s apartment and kill her while searching for a suspect they already had in custody

Buzzrock

6 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I totally agree. I thought I had read that they were not even wearing them?

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

Well let's see it. I'm definitely no fan of cop bullshit. I just want the facts and the truth. 

I'm too lazy/tired to look it up now, but in the initial account the cops claimed they weren't wearing body cams at the time of the incident.

Shit, local Houston pigs nearly did the same thing to one of their own. Zero fucking accountability or remorse for illegally invading a home. Dude would have been in his rights to shoot at them, and he would have been murdered for it had he defended his home from property damage

https://abc13.com/deputies-serve-arrest-warrant-at-wrong-home/6416494/

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Shit, local Houston pigs nearly did the same thing to one of their own. Zero fucking accountability or remorse for illegally invading a home. Dude would have been in his rights to shoot at them, and he would have been murdered for it had he defended his home from property damage

https://abc13.com/deputies-serve-arrest-warrant-at-wrong-home/6416494/

Sadly, it will take something like that turning fatal for them to change, maybe not even then.    

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Dendox said:

Louisville just admitted they were at fault.  Not really - but really.

$12M is a lot of money.

https://news.yahoo.com/multi-million-settlement-reached-breonna-135132622.html

Yeah, that's substantial, and quick.

Also, it appears that this is a Kentucky state court action, naming only the cops (not the city or department), and alleging common-law and statutory torts.  https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/2020-7-5-20-first-amended-complaint-1594144637.pdf

Thus, it appears that Kentucky permits and recognizes a cause of action for excessive force.  And it appears that the City/Department may be liable under respondeat superior (automatic liability for employees acting in scope of employment).

This is not the case in Texas, and many other states, where the only tort that can be asserted against cops is the constitutional tort under 42 USC 1983, where the city/department is not liable unless it is proven (nigh impossible) that the death/brutality was a department policy.  And Qualified Immunity is the big bugbear in all of it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Cops caught lying on the stand or in police reports should be severely punished. They should be held to a higher standard than the general public. Thus, penalties for cops committing perjury or filing false reports should be vastly stiffer than for civilians.

This is a very key reform that needs to be applied nationally. Law enforcement's penchant for "making it up as they go along"--either to cover their asses or to railroad suspects--needs to end today.

A dishonest cop is a criminal. Stop protecting criminals.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

No knock warrants are bullshit. If they are to continue, the judge who issues the warrant needs to be held accountable when they go south. Breaking into a house without warning, is an invitation for disaster. No knock warrants need to be the rare exception when there is no other way or they need to go.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bevo said:

No knock warrants are bullshit. If they are to continue, the judge who issues the warrant needs to be held accountable when they go south. Breaking into a house without warning, is an invitation for disaster. No knock warrants need to be the rare exception when there is no other way or they need to go.

I don't know how to make the judge accountable (criminally, or some other way like that)....although I think publishing the results of no-knock warrants each judge issues would be helpful.  But one simple measure would be to make it a real, detailed requirement of a no-knock to have the cop applying analyze, and the judge consider, the risk to safety of the accused, third parties, and the cops., so the court can evaluate if there are any less risky means to accomplish the goal.  And it must have a detailed analysis and representations, under oath, by the cop.

All of that said.....I just don't think "they might destroy evidence" is really a good reason for a no-knock.  A no-knock is something you use to PROTECT life and safety only, not risk it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If you give cops and judges a super narrow scope to allow no knock, all that will happen is a surprising amount of actions will fall inside that scope. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't know how to make the judge accountable (criminally, or some other way like that)....although I think publishing the results of no-knock warrants each judge issues would be helpful.  But one simple measure would be to make it a real, detailed requirement of a no-knock to have the cop applying analyze, and the judge consider, the risk to safety of the accused, third parties, and the cops., so the court can evaluate if there are any less risky means to accomplish the goal.  And it must have a detailed analysis and representations, under oath, by the cop.

All of that said.....I just don't think "they might destroy evidence" is really a good reason for a no-knock.  A no-knock is something you use to PROTECT life and safety only, not risk it.

I know you are an attorney so it is not surprising for you to show support for judges. But unlike some other professions, attorneys are reviewed by themselves rather than elected officials. This creates a problem for the general public. If there was an external review board and the judge was found to have made a cavalier decision about a no knock warrant then he should have to go to court for an informal hearing, present his up-to-date CE and training, and risk being censured, fined, or fired and possibly be subject to lawsuits from the wrongly harmed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I know you are an attorney so it is not surprising for you to show support for judges. But unlike some other professions, attorneys are reviewed by themselves rather than elected officials. This creates a problem for the general public. If there was an external review board and the judge was found to have made a cavalier decision about a no knock warrant then he should have to go to court for an informal hearing, present his up-to-date CE and training, and risk being censured, fined, or fired and possibly be subject to lawsuits from the wrongly harmed.

I would be fine with a more robust review process for judges like that, particularly if the results of any such discipline are required to be printed on any ballot in future elections.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, Sawbonz said:

What evidence is there the police officers announced themselves?

"The Daily" (New York Times PodCast) had a two-part series on the killing of Breonna Taylor last week. I highly recommend it if you're in the car with time to spare.  Only one witness has come forward saying he heard the cops announce themselves and then, just once. No one else heard anything but loud banging on the door.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:41 PM, TwiceHorn said:

There are allusions to mail being received there and him keeping other various property there.  I saw nothing that indicated tens of thousands of dollars or her knowledge of it.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, BabaYaga said:

“Bre got down like $15 (grand), she had the $8 (grand) I gave her the other day and she picked up another $6 (grand),”

The idea the ex had money there came from the previously referenced conversation between her ex and another woman that was recorded while he was in jail. He was looking for help with bail and told the other woman he had a couple of sums of cash hidden there. 

On 9/9/2020 at 5:52 PM, fattyflattie said:

What I don't understand is why so many people are hesitant to acknowledge that this shit is MUCH more likely to happen when you associate with criminals/criminal activity.   

On 9/9/2020 at 6:09 PM, fattyflattie said:

I do think living the way she had previously (sounds like she had gotten her shit together) gives you a higher likely hood of the cops fucking up, and something bad happening to you.  

She never didn't have her shit together. She was the first person in her family to graduate from high school. Trained and worked as an EMT, but quit because she keep her apartment on her salary. She need the apartment because she had taken her sister and goddaughter off the streets and they were living with her. Retrained and became an emergency room tech. She had come off something like her fourth shift in three days and just wanted to sleep in her own bed because her sister was out of town on a job interview and her goddaughter was staying elsewhere with family. 

On 9/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, BabaYaga said:

And I will say this one last fucking time.  She died because her boyfriend opened fire.  She died because, even after finding a fucking body in her rental car and having transcripts of her dealing with large amounts of cash with KNOWN drug dealers, she chose to stay with them.  

She didn't stay with drug dealers. There was no them. She didn't deal with large amounts of cash. The cops didn't know much about her and didn't even realize that there was another adult and a child residing there in the apartment with her. There was no investigation of her. She was indicted by the same philosophy that's been espoused here a dozen times. Guilt by association.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

"The Daily" (New York Times PodCast) had a two-part series on the killing of Breonna Taylor last week. I highly recommend it if you're in the car with time to spare.  Only one witness has come forward saying he heard the cops announce themselves and then, just once. No one else heard anything but loud banging on the door.

The idea the ex had money there came from the previously referenced conversation between her ex and another woman that was recorded while he was in jail. He was looking for help with bail and told the other woman he had a couple of sums of cash hidden there. 

She never didn't have her shit together. She was the first person in her family to graduate from high school. Trained and worked as an EMT, but quit because she keep her apartment on her salary. She need the apartment because she had taken her sister and goddaughter off the streets and they were living with her. Retrained and became an emergency room tech. She had come off something like her fourth shift in three days and just wanted to sleep in her own bed because her sister was out of town on a job interview and her goddaughter was staying elsewhere with family. 

She didn't stay with drug dealers. There was no them. She didn't deal with large amounts of cash. The cops didn't know much about her and didn't even realize that there was another adult and a child residing there in the apartment with her. There was no investigation of her. She was indicted by the same philosophy that's been espoused here a dozen times. Guilt by association.  

Yeah, I did see that convo in that report thing, whatever it was.  Doesn't really look like a police document, but whatever.

And yeah, I'm not sure how credible that convo not involving her was.

She apparently did have a dirty ex and was having some difficulty completely cutting ties with him, but I see nothing to indicate that she should have been regarded as any integral part of drug business.  That has got to be fairly common in the hood and the cops should certainly recognize that she's an innocent bystander (maybe less innocent to us whitey college graduates, but in the hood context, pure as driven snow).

There are a whole lot of warrant and other investigatory shenanigans documented in the lawsuit complaint linked above.

Just now, BurntEyes said:

You know... Someone suggested on another thread that the best way to end all this bullshit is to demand the war on drugs end at a Federal and State level.. but that is a really dumb fucking idea.

Yeah, how else would police justify violence against black people and the continued receipt of Dept of Defense warfighting equipment for domestic policing??

If you back the blue, you DEFINITELY back the war on drugs. How else would you fight the subversives and agitators?

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

You know... Someone suggested on another thread that the best way to end all this bullshit is to demand the war on drugs end at a Federal and State level.. but that is a really dumb fucking idea.

No it’s not. Unless by end the war you mean legalize everything. 
legalize some things, make most normal possession amounts and public intoxication non-jail offenses. 

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

That is some super-cuntly shit from a super-cunt.

The fact that he feels free and safe to send that to the entire Louisville PD tells you about all you need to know about police in the US in this day and age.

And, if it were just a few bad apples, you'd think a few dozen or hundred of the good apples would be posting this on their social media and calling it out for the bullshit that it is.

Deafening silence except for the brave cat (semi-serious, semi-sarcastic) that leaked this to the press.

Found this rant on theroot via yahoo.  Pretty damn good. https://news.yahoo.com/officer-involved-breonna-taylors-death-213300631.html

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That is some super-cuntly shit from a super-cunt.

The fact that he feels free and safe to send that to the entire Louisville PD tells you about all you need to know about police in the US in this day and age.

And, if it were just a few bad apples, you'd think a few dozen or hundred of the good apples would be posting this on their social media and calling it out for the bullshit that it is.

He says it's not an us-versus-them thing and they aren't any better than anybody else, but then proceeds to make it an us-versus-them, good-versus-evil thing with his side, of course, being the "good."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

You DO NOT DESERVE to be in this position. The position that allows thugs to get in your face and yell, curse and degrade you. Throw bricks, bottles and urine on you and expect you to do nothing. It goes against EVERYTHING we were all taught in the academy. The position that if you make a mistake during one of the most stressful times in your career, the department and FBI (who aren’t cops and would piss their pants if they had to hold the line) go after you for civil rights violations. Your civil rights mean nothing, but the criminal has total autonomy.

"if you make a mistake during one of the most stressful times in your career"

spacer.png

That "mistake" cost an innocent woman her life.

You DO NOT DESERVE to be in this position. The position that allows thugs to get in your face and yell, curse and degrade you. Throw bricks, bottles and urine on you and expect you to do nothing. It goes against EVERYTHING we were all taught in the academy. The position that if you make a mistake during one of the most stressful times in your career, the department and FBI (who aren’t cops and would piss their pants if they had to hold the line) go after you for civil rights violations. Your civil rights mean nothing, but the criminal has total autonomy.

No shit?  You know what Sport, Breonna didn't deserve to be in that position AND you'd piss your pants if I broke into your house with a bunch of my heavily armed pals while you were sleeping.  And when we killed your wife or daughter you'd go full fetal like the little badged bitch that you are.  And, again, her name was Breonna, not "the criminal".  What is it called when a thug complains about "thugs"?

Fuck this piece of shit. 

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Who knew it was legal, ethical, and moral to break down doors and kill an innocent person in their sleep and then imprison another innocent person for trying to defend the now deceased?

Man, I've got some shit to take care of!  Been doing it wrong all these years not killing and imprisoning people with righteous impunity.  

What time I've wasted!!!  I mean, Art's boys over in HTown tried to give me the heads-up, but there was no rape, so I just didn't process it I guess.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Who knew it was legal, ethical, and moral to break down doors and kill an innocent person in their sleep and then imprison another innocent person for trying to defend the now deceased?

Man, I've got some shit to take care of!  Been doing it wrong all these years not killing and imprisoning people with righteous impunity.  

What time I've wasted!!!  I mean, Art's boys over in HTown tried to give me the heads-up, but there was no rape, so I just didn't process it I guess.

I can't think of a worse indictment of their entire profession than that Art really seems to be one of the less shitty police chiefs in this country. 

• Like 1

^^Uh, no.  Art's right up there with all of the shitty police chiefs, if not their standard bearer.  He could hold clinics for the others on "How to be a complete shit-heal Cop".

Don't let the fog, smoke, and him spewing some convenient PC woke bullshit in front of tv crews distract you from that.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

^^Uh, no.  Art's right up there with all of the shitty police chiefs, if not their standard bearer.  He could hold clinics for the others on "How to be a complete shit-heal Cop".

Don't let the fog, smoke, and him spewing some convenient PC woke bullshit in front of tv crews distract you from that.

I'm pretty sure we've been over this before. My statement above wasn't "hey, actually Art's alright!" It was "holy fucking shit they're all absolute goddamn inhuman monsters and Art is a tiny bit less monstrous than a ton of them." 

• Hook 'Em 1

And my statement wasn't, "There aren't a shit-ton of piece of shit Chiefs around this country", it was, "Don't forget that Art could hold a MasterClass for all of them in the piece of shit department because he's every bit as monstrous, if not moreso, than all of them."

He's just a little more savvy in front of the cameras and crowds with pitchforks.

He's as bad as they come brother.  Villanueva is an amateur in the POS department compared to AA.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am currently attending a continuing legal education program and last hour's topic was "Crisis Management". The panel was looking ahead to potential fallout from the SCOTUS shenanigans and the election when one of the lawyers, from Louisville, chimed in with details of his company's preparation for today's announcement. All of the moderators were like - Damn! Good luck with that. Hope you make it to the other side.  

the definition for Negligent Homicide is "a criminal charge brought against a person who, through criminal negligence, allows another person to die."

does that include incompetence and/or stupidity?

the grand jury is going to decide that the cops didn't intend to kill her because they didn't know she was inside.  batten down the hatches.