Cops break into EMT’s apartment and kill her while searching for a suspect they already had in custody

Buzzrock

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

"When someone tells you who they are, believe them", or something like that.

This.

I mean, over and over, the cop apologists say "no, there's no statistically vetted, peer-reviewed evidence of broken policing culture!"  For fuck's sake, they put it in fucking writing.  What more do you want -- for each cop to get a survey that asks "are you part of and supportive of a broken policing culture?  Check yes or no!"......(nevermind the absurdity of any process that depends on the honesty of a police officer).  It's maddening.

They put it in writing, over and over and over.  When the cops tell you who they are.....believe them.

• Hook 'Em 1

You can see how that cop, and by extension many others, color their written incident reports in the same manner.  It's a bit of truth here and there to keep the plausibility intact, but then engages the ritual of taking that truth and bending the edges and corners just so to dial that puppy into an instrument that will serve and protect not you, the lowly citizen, but them, the "Hero" class.

Absolute works of realistic fiction.

They train for that.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

^^Uh, no.  Art's right up there with all of the shitty police chiefs, if not their standard bearer.  He could hold clinics for the others on "How to be a complete shit-heal Cop".

Don't let the fog, smoke, and him spewing some convenient PC woke bullshit in front of tv crews distract you from that.

1,000,000% all of this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kentucky homicide statutes.

I have been curious why Louisville has enacted "emergency measures" for several days now pending the grand jury decision.

Also, as a general matter, I don't think grand juries should consider evidence of self-defense or other justification except in the most cut and dried cases.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I am currently attending a continuing legal education program and last hour's topic was "Crisis Management". The panel was looking ahead to potential fallout from the SCOTUS shenanigans and the election when one of the lawyers, from Louisville, chimed in with details of his company's preparation for today's announcement. All of the moderators were like - Damn! Good luck with that. Hope you make it to the other side.  

Taint Sacky is a way funnier name.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the definition for Negligent Homicide is "a criminal charge brought against a person who, through criminal negligence, allows another person to die."

does that include incompetence and/or stupidity?

the grand jury is going to decide that the cops didn't intend to kill her because they didn't know she was inside.  batten down the hatches.

Isn’t she the only one they knew was there?    

yeah, this is a fucking joke. 

no murder charge, no mention of breonna taylor in any of the indictment. well done, justice system.

three charges of wanton endagerment for one of the cops, because his indiscriminate shooting into other apartments. none of this is any justice for breonna taylor. this is total horseshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

to other apart

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

something something about disregard for human life. because he shot from outside and his bullets went into neighboring apartment(s). 

just one officer. the rest walk free. This country is about to melt down.

fify.  Oh boy.

1 minute ago, Reagan1k said:

That means blindly firing 10 shots into an apartment without having a fucking clue at what or at whom you are shooting, after you screw up royally on a search warrant.

Yeah I'm pretty sure without a badge that's at least negligent homicide if you hit and kill someone. Nevermind covering it up

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, this is a fucking joke. 

no murder charge, no mention of breonna taylor in any of the indictment. well done, justice system.

three charges of wanton endagerment for one of the cops, because his indiscriminate shooting into other apartments. none of this is any justice for breonna taylor. this is total horseshit

ISWYDT

I used to work at a drug and alcohol rehab and part of my job was to take residents to court/their P.O./etc.  I had to know the ins and outs of their cases b/c I was sort of their spokesman, so to speak.

I can remember the bond amounts that some were out on.  From stealing copper to being found in a school yard at 3am with pants down urinating on their shoes, some of those bonds were $20k to $40k.  Not one was out on bond after having been involved in the death of another human being (there were some at the rehab, but not on my case load).  $20 to $40k.  Think about that.

Now think about this - This guy,. whose actions directly resulted in the death of an innocent woman sleeping in her home.  She's dead, gone, never coming back.  The amount of bond requested and accepted by the judge for this killer?

$15k.

That's it.  Just $15k.

Just breathtaking.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

My gut tells me this is wrong.

My lawdog tells me, as they were acting pursuant to a warrant that apparently was not falsely obtained, that it's about what you could hope for.

Cops killing people in the course of an arrest for something minor, or even something major, are going to be vulnerable to homicide charges.

Those acting pursuant to a facially legal warrant, without major shenanigans (e.g. HPD style flagrant lies) in its issuance, are going to be harder to nail every time.

We clearly need to tighten up warrant procedures and laws.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

My gut tells me this is wrong.

My lawdog tells me, as they were acting pursuant to a warrant that apparently was not falsely obtained, that it's about what you could hope for.

That's what I am wondering about. I haven't kept up with the details, but if the shooting cops didn't falsely obtain the warrant, then I don't know why a murder charge would be considered reasonable. But Lebron thinks...

Sigh.  Same old same old.

We have built a system that protects shitty, shitty cops at the expense of the people.  This may actually BE a legally legit outcome, under the current system.

Which is the reason for the outrage about injustice.  The injustice isn't that the cops break the rules and get away with it -- it's that the rules are so insanely, irrationally stacked in their favor that it's next-to-impossible to pop them for breaking those rules.

We are in a bad, bad place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, if they're gonna burn down a house I hope they start with the judge who issued that warrant.

I sympathize with this.

But, let's be realistic.  Every, single, time a judge makes a decision, someone is aggrieved by it, to a greater or lesser extent.  If we let every aggrieved party take action against the judge, we'd have a real problem on our hands.

I don't see how you can clearly set a bar to make judges liable for their decisions other than outright corruption, e.g. bribes.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  Same old same old.

We have built a system that protects shitty, shitty cops at the expense of the people.  This may actually BE a legally legit outcome, under the current system.

Which is the reason for the outrage about injustice.  The injustice isn't that the cops break the rules and get away with it -- it's that the rules are so insanely, irrationally stacked in their favor that it's next-to-impossible to pop them for breaking those rules.

We are in a bad, bad place.

they found one witness to corroborate that they announced police and knocked, and they concluded that because of that, and because they were fired upon first, the shooting was justified. they punted to the feds about the civil rights aspect of the warrant.

police is broken in this country, and this is another sad example to put on the pile.

One could even postulate that a system that allows the wanton murder of innocent citizens is fundamentally broken and in need of reform. What a load of horse shit, I bet they used the split second reasoning that cops always fall back on after they create the dangerous situation in the first place. 

It is fucked that the AG is playing defense for the homicidal officers, but that's our system. If you don't like it, you hate america. Or are a troll from the cabal or something like that

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I sympathize with this.

But, let's be realistic.  Every, single, time a judge makes a decision, someone is aggrieved by it, to a greater or lesser extent.  If we let every aggrieved party take action against the judge, we'd have a real problem on our hands.

I don't see how you can clearly set a bar to make judges liable for their decisions other than outright corruption, e.g. bribes.

There are plenty of outright corrupt judges who take bribes, do favors, etc.  Even they are rarely "made liable".  Too many of these over-ego'd, robed, opinionated, lousy human beings sit and do their will without fear of recourse.

Sorry man, but I've seen it up close and personal.  They just make it up as they go and no one holds their feet to the fire.

Well, those days need to end.  Period.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

One could even postulate that a system that allows the wanton murder of innocent citizens is fundamentally broken and in need of reform. What a load of horse shit, I bet they used the split second reasoning that cops always fall back on after they create the dangerous situation in the first place. 

It is fucked that the AG is playing defense for the homicidal officers, but that's our system. If you don't like it, you hate america. Or are a troll from the cabal or something like that

yes, this is the problem. she was an innocent civilian who got caught in a completely unnecessary crossfire created based on the timing and effect of their raid. this was not a search warrant, it was a fucking raid. they also did not have bodycams. this is a travesty. when the cops start shit, they should not be exonerated for the shit that happens as a result.