Cops break into EMT’s apartment and kill her while searching for a suspect they already had in custody

Buzzrock

15 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Any idea what this is about?  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nkhxCZkJb7_9wgJuYXBn3acxcC7tOebx/view   Grand juror asking for grand jury evidence to be made public.  I didn't even know you could ask for that.  My best guess is the juror realized after serving on the jury that the prosecutors misled them/held back evidence.

Ooooh that's interesting.

Unlike Fed. R. Crim. P. 6, which has very specific exceptions to grand jury secrecy, Kentucky law just says it's secret and apparently permits disclosure on whatever grounds the judge sees fit.

The motion is worded oddly, likely in an effort to avoid "tipping" what the actual material and grand jury/juror considerations were, which itself might be considered a breach of GJ secrecy.

It appears from the NBC news article that the judge has already ordered release of the recording.  That was fast.

EDIT: Well, the motion was directed to the judge that presided over the grand jury.  It appears that the order to put the recording of proceedings into the court record came from the indicted officer's trial judge.  Not clear if he has authority to do that, from what's cited in the motion.

In any event, Cameron apparently has agreed to make the recording public.  The other "question" posed by the motion is how much or what can any grand juror individually say about it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The motion is worded oddly, likely in an effort to avoid "tipping" what the actual material and grand jury/juror considerations were, which itself might be considered a breach of GJ secrecy.

That is 100% why it is worded that way. Frankly, I think it does a masterful job of suggesting that the attorney general was lying without actual saying it or revealing any content from grand jury. It is a fine line and that motion walks it dead center. 

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/30/us/breonna-taylor-officer-retire-fundraiser-trnd/index.html

The Louisville police officer who fatally shot Breonna Taylor is currently raising money to fund his retirement. 

Detective Myles Cosgrove was one of three Louisville officers who fired shots into Taylor's apartment last March after breaking in to serve a search warrant related to Taylor's ex-boyfriend.

Taylor, an emergency room technician, died from multiple gunshot wounds sustained in the botched raid.

Now, Cosgrove is seeking funds on the "Christian crowdfunding site" GiveSendGo so he can "purchase the remainder of his service time" and retire, according to the fundraiser's description. He wants to focus on his family's safety, which, per the description, has been threatened since protests erupted after Taylor's killing. 

"Myles' reputation has been completely dismantled and the psychological trauma is something that he will have to cope with for the rest of his life," the fundraiser description reads.

Jarrod Beck, an attorney for Cosgrove, confirmed to CNN that the page was set up by members of Cosgrove's family but declined to comment further. CNN also reached out to GiveSendGo to comment on the campaign and is waiting to hear back. 

The detective is currently seeking $75,000 and, as of Wednesday morning, has raised over $9,000.

https://www.givesendgo.com/GVTG

It has recently become clear that it will be impossible for Myles to safely return to his position serving the community with the Louisville Metro Police Department. We hope to raise enough funds to help him purchase the remainder of his service time, or “air-time,” so that he can retire from the LMPD and continue to focus on the safety of his family, a family that has been put continually at-risk over the past few months. 

Update: cops get another week to hide the truth from the public

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A judge has agreed to Attorney General Daniel Cameron's request for a delay in releasing the grand jury recordings in the controversial Breonna Taylor decision, initially due by noon Wednesday. 

Cameron asked for a one-week extension in a motion filed Tuesday, saying the delay was necessary to protect witnesses' personal information. The high-profile case has prompted threats against some officials and officers.

Judge Ann Bailey Smith instead gave his office a new deadline of noon Friday to submit the grand jury recordings. 

Stew Mathews, who is representing former Detective Brett Hankison, confirmed the new deadline to The Courier Journal. 

Cameron spokeswoman Elizabeth Kuhn also confirmed the judge's decision in an email that stated the judge had ruled on the motion and "granted an extension ... to give us proper time to redact specific personal information of witnesses."

Cameron's office has said the delay is necessary to protect the interest of witnesses, "in particular private citizens named in the recordings." His office wants to "redact personal identifiers of any named person, and to redact both names and personal identifiers of any private citizen."

and to be clear: I have no problem with it taking time to redact information. It just strikes me as suspicious to determine that last minute because Cameron (the AG) himself said they could release them today. From my understanding, no one picked that date for him. He’s one of the few people who would know the amount of information that needs to be redacted. The fact that he’s abruptly changing course and needs an additional week is reads to me like him stalling.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

and to be clear: I have no problem with it taking time to redact information. It just strikes me as suspicious to determine that last minute because Cameron (the AG) himself said they could release them today. From my understanding, no one picked that date for him. He’s one of the few people who would know the amount of information that needs to be redacted. The fact that he’s abruptly changing course and needs an additional week is reads to me like him stalling.

Any of us who have been following shit like Mueller Report would know of the legitimate need to redact GJ material.

I'm not sure Cameron is like that or the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Given the time it takes to get a transcript out of most court reporters, even for an hour or two hour hearing, I'm kind of surprised he only asked for a week.  Granted they're not doing a transcript, but I think it would actually be easier to redact a transcript than an audio recording.  But I'm sure he has his best men on it, working overtime.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Any of us who have been following shit like Mueller Report would know of the legitimate need to redact GJ material.

Given the time it takes to get a transcript out of most court reporters, even for an hour or two hour hearing, I'm kind of surprised he only asked for a week.  Granted they're not doing a transcript, but I think it would actually be easier to redact a transcript than an audio recording.  But I'm sure he has his best men on it, working overtime.

I just heard on NPR that the recording is 20 hours long.  Yow.

And, again because I'm not sure Cameron is either a seasoned trial lawyer or a moron or some combination of the two, he should have thought of this earlier and may have already overpromised.

Edited by TwiceHorn

53 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I can't rule out any stalling, of course....but from my experience in dealing with a lot of confidential information in documents, this isn't unreasonable.  It's a laborious, detail-oriented process.

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, again, I don't trust the AG a whole bunch...or at all....but a week to do so is not unreasonable, based on my experience.  And it's definitely a legit thing to be doing -- it's a good idea to protect confidential witness information, especially in such an inflammatory case at the GJ stage.  We don't want vigilantes (from any perspective/direction) going after a witness.

• Hook 'Em 1

Update: now it's Friday

A Kentucky judge has delayed until Friday the release of secret grand jury proceedings in Breonna Taylor’s killing by police, so that prosecutors can edit out witnesses’ names and personal information.

Audio recordings of the proceedings were originally supposed to be made public Wednesday, but Attorney General Daniel Cameron’s office asked a Louisville court for a week’s delay to remove details such as witnesses’ addresses and phone numbers.

On Wednesday, Judge Ann Bailey Smith granted a shorter delay, giving the attorney general until noon on Friday.

Any of you law dogs seeing any of this as weird? They've changed their story several times on when they'll release this info. Seems extremely disorganized and ad-hoc

They needed no time, then a week, then only 3 days to sufficiently redact the necessary info. It doesn't give me much hope that we're going to get anything actually useful out of these recordings. I won't be surprised when we get pages and pages of blacked out transcripts

A couple of things that are getting lost in the usual shitty reporting.

First, the motion linked above was directed to the judge presiding over the grand jury.  That judge would not preside over the trial of anyone indicted by the grand jury.

Second, the trial judge of the one indicted cop also ordered release of the GJ transcript or recording.

The reporting seems to have conflated one judge and her orders, with the other.  It's not clear which judge is ordering what.

Finally, assuming the report I heard that the recording was 20 hours long, that is a fairly major undertaking.  That is equivalent to probably three days of trial testimony, maybe four or five.  And about three "all-day" depositions.

As a practical matter, the recording probably needs to be transcribed with time stamps and both the transcript and the recording redacted (assuming the actual audio is released).

All that is a substantial amount of work.  In real-law-world, you have two groups of people that produce transcripts.  Private court reporters that do depositions and actual court reporters (court employees) that do actual court hearings.  The AGs office probably doesn't employ either type.  So they're going to have to either hire a private court reporter to do it ($$$$$) or use a court's court reporter.  A court's court reporter would have to fit it in with her normal duties.  They can take months to produce such a transcript, without redaction.

When you look at it in context, a week is a really short time frame to accomplish this even with unlimited resources (i.e. paying a private court reporter to "expedite" the transcript, which usually costs thousands extra in the case of even one deposition).  If Cameron was a trial lawyer, he'd know this and probably would have asked for more time right out of the box.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A couple of things that are getting lost in the usual shitty reporting.

First, the motion linked above was directed to the judge presiding over the grand jury.  That judge would not preside over the trial of anyone indicted by the grand jury.

Second, the trial judge of the one indicted cop also ordered release of the GJ transcript or recording.

The reporting seems to have conflated one judge and her orders, with the other.  It's not clear which judge is ordering what.

Finally, assuming the report I heard that the recording was 20 hours long, that is a fairly major undertaking.  That is equivalent to probably three days of trial testimony, maybe four or five.  And about three "all-day" depositions.

As a practical matter, the recording probably needs to be transcribed with time stamps and both the transcript and the recording redacted (assuming the actual audio is released).

All that is a substantial amount of work.  In real-law-world, you have two groups of people that produce transcripts.  Private court reporters that do depositions and actual court reporters (court employees) that do actual court hearings.  The AGs office probably doesn't employ either type.  So they're going to have to either hire a private court reporter to do it ($$$$$) or use a court's court reporter.  A court's court reporter would have to fit it in with her normal duties.  They can take months to produce such a transcript, without redaction.

When you look at it in context, a week is a really short time frame to accomplish this even with unlimited resources (i.e. paying a private court reporter to "expedite" the transcript, which usually costs thousands extra in the case of even one deposition).  If Cameron was a trial lawyer, he'd know this and probably would have asked for more time right out of the box.

Yeah, this is a pretty major undertaking. I think for most of my depositions the standard turn around for the court reported is two weeks. Expedited jobs are 1 week. And rush jobs are still at least 2 or 3 days. And that is with a 7ish hour deposition. 

And I guess it's quite plausible that Cameron, being under the gun, acquiesced to the courts' order without really understanding what was involved, went back to his office and people that know were like "dude, this is going to be really difficult and expensive to pull off."

Frankly, the judge should know better, too, but everyone's trying to look good.

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And I guess it's quite plausible that Cameron, being under the gun, acquiesced to the courts' order without really understanding what was involved, went back to his office and people that know were like "dude, this is going to be really difficult and expensive to pull off."

Frankly, the judge should know better, too, but everyone's trying to look good.

That 100% happened. Attorneys underestimate the work that the rest of the staff has to do to get things ready all the damn time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cops investigating Breonna Taylor's ex-boyfriend as part of a drugs probe were repeatedly told that she was not receiving suspicious packages for him at her home, but they still listed it in their search warrant and raided it.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/cops-were-told-breonna-taylor-wasnt-receiving-packages-for-ex/ar-BB19CnrV

9 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I missed this until now, SIAP. But this isn’t the first raid those same cops botched.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/26/cops-who-killed-breanna-taylor-also-botched-2018-raid-report/

How do we get BLM to put pressure on the war on drugs? I’d rather that be issue number one instead of defunding police.

Tackle all the bullshit asset forfeiture laws as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They released about 20 hours of audio with about 4 minutes of total redactions.

Notably however, the recordings do not include juror deliberations and prosecutor recommendations and statements, "as they are not evidence," the AGs office said. That is (apparently) customary but it's not as much info as would actually be useful, and it'll take a while to digest all the raw audio

Local media is breaking them down.  They're not super-illuminating yet.....but there's some shit in there that's troubling to enraging already.

WHAS11 has decided not to post or link to raw audio clips due to the names of witnesses and identifiable voices of jurors on the recordings. 

Updates are excerpts dated on the day each recording took place. 

This is a live blog, information discovered in the recordings will be updated as WHAS11 reviews audio. Follow us on Twitter for live updates. 

Live Updates

Day 1

Sept. 21:  The grand jury heard three different radio transmissions made by Officer Brett Hankison on the night of March 13. Hankison can be heard asking for a medic for Sgt. Jonathon Mattingly, who was shot in the leg. 

Jurors were also shown body camera footage from a SWAT officer.

Sept. 21: Mattingly testified before the grand jury that LMPD announced themselves at Breonna Taylor's apartment before ramming into the property.

"Banged on the door, no response," said Mattingly in the recording. "Banged on it again, no response. At that point we started announcing ourselves. 'Police, please come to the door.'"

Sept. 21: 911 calls of Breonna Taylor's neighbors on the night of March 13 were played for jurors.

“I don’t know where they’re coming from but there were a lot of gunshots," one neighbor is heard saying in a call. 

Multiple other 911 calls from separate neighbors were played for the grand jury. 

"There was a bunch [of shots] and then there was some that sounded like it wasn’t the same gun," one neighbor of Taylor, said in a 911 call. 

One neighbor said they heard arguing outside of the apartment. 

Sept. 21: One juror is heard asking why there is a time lapse between 911 calls being made. 

“There’s a time lapse there… the other calls were coming in just after 12:40 a.m. and his [Kenneth Walker] came in at 12:50 a.m.?" asked the juror.

Sept. 21: LMPD Det. Michael Knowles testified before jurors. Knowles was a responding officer at Taylor's apartment March 13. 

Knowles said that he sustained minor injuries that night and said he heard a female voice coming from the apartment. 

Before arriving on the scene, Knowles testified that he and other officers were not briefed that a man was inside the apartment. 

Day 2

Sept. 22:  Jurors listened to former LMPD Det. Brett Hankison's interview with Metro Police's Public Integrity Unit on March 23. Hankison testified to the PIU that he was supposed to be off work that day but volunteered to come in. 

He stated that he knew nothing about the investigation prior to being called in but was briefed on basic addresses.

Sept. 22: Hankison said they knocked and then waited 30 to 45 seconds before ramming the door, unsure of who made the call, in the recordings played for the grand jury from his interview with LMPD March 23.

Sept. 22:  Hankison said that he believed he saw a someone with a "long gun" or "AR-15" based on the sound of the shot fired and the stance of "the figure" after the door at Taylor's apartment was rammed open.

Sept. 22:  “I was afraid and it was a super helpless feeling knowing there is a guy with a AR-15,” Hankison said in an interview with LMPD on March 23 played for the grand jury. 

Hankison said Walker told police that Taylor was the one that shot at police and that she was dead. Hankison said audio of Walker is on a body camera.

Sept. 22:  A recording of Kenneth Walker, Taylor's boyfriend, being interviewed by police was played for jurors. 

Walker said that police told him they were looking for a white male in Taylor's apartment.

"I haven't a clue why they were at the door," said Walker in an LMPD interview played for the grand jury. "I know if they were coming to talk to me or her it would have been no reason for them to even think about kicking the door in." 

Sept. 22:  "We have no dealings with the police, if I had heard 'police' it would have changed the whole situation because we have nothing to be scared of," Walker said.

Sept. 22: In a following recording of Walker's interview with LMPD's PIU, he explained that once he was put into an LMPD cruiser for questioning, the officer driving told him there was a "misunderstanding."

Sept. 22: LMPD Det. Mike Campbell said that he spoke to other residents in the apartment complex and described that Walker gave a statement on how he heard the knock and Taylor was the one who fired a shot at officers. 

The recording of Campbell's LMPD's Public Integrity Unit interview was on March 23.

Sept. 22: In a interview with Metro Police's PIU, LMPD Det. Fogg said police knocked on Taylor's door and announced themselves. He then said 45 seconds later the door was rammed open and a shot was fired. The shot fired hit Mattingly. 

Fog said he applied a tourniquet to Mattingly's wound. 

He then said they had a "no-knock" but did not treat it like one. He said they announced so loudly, Taylor's neighbors came outside.

Sept. 22: "It's like I'm in a cave. Complete, utter silence," Det. Fogg described moments after shots were fired. 

Sept. 22 The grand jury heard testimony from officers describing how Taylor's apartment was breached: "There is a command given. There is a command given at the door." 

"There are these vivid white flashes in this dark room... I realize that John [Mattingly] is at my feet, moving around," said Fogg.

Sept. 22: Det. Fogg was asked what LMPD's training is when to discharge a weapon.

"How were you trained on when to discharge your weapon?" one recorded juror asked.

"I would discharge my weapon when my life was in imminent danger," Fogg answered.

Sept. 22: LMPD SWAT team Lt. Massey testified before the grand jury. Massey was asked if it was common for three people to go through a doorway that is 36 inches, he said it is not common. 

"We got the feeling that night that something went bad; egregious," Massey said in the recording. 

Sept. 22: Kentucky State Police Det. Herman Hall testified that he interviewed one of Taylor's neighbors on June 26.

"She [Taylor's neighbor] walked up to him [officer on scene] and asked, 'what happened?'" 

Hall said, "Some drug dealing girl shot at the police." 

She had been recording everything on her Facebook live, and this was on her live feed.

"[Neighbor's] Daughter says, 'mommy, that's Bree's apartment', meaning Breonna's apartment. She didn't know Breonna, but her kids did. Breonna was a mentor to a lot of the kids in the neighborhood."

Day 3 

Sept. 23: Jurors asked KSP Det. Hall if drugs, money or paraphernalia were found inside Taylor's apartment. Hall testified that none of those items were found. 

When asked why body cameras were not activated during the execution of the warrant, Hall said he did not know why they were not activate.

More to come....

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

How do we get BLM to put pressure on the war on drugs? I’d rather that be issue number one instead of defunding police.

Get them to get people registered to vote, educated on the issues, and then get them to the voting booth.  And get some of them to run for local offices.

If you see 5,000 people out marching in some city, they aren't going to change much.  But if those 5,000 people went out and tried to each get 5 people registered to vote, educated on the issues, and to a voting booth, then you will see some changed.

Because until you start start making changes in leadership at the city and county levels, ain't jack shit going to change.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They released about 20 hours of audio with about 4 minutes of total redactions.

Notably however, the recordings do not include juror deliberations and prosecutor recommendations and statements, "as they are not evidence," the AGs office said. That is (apparently) customary but it's not as much info as would actually be useful, and it'll take a while to digest all the raw audio

Whew.  Not picking at you, because it comes direct from the story, but I'm not sure what "customary" means in this context.  Grand jury proceedings are secret everywhere in the US and disclosure of any part of it is an exception to the rule.  So I am not sure there's any kind of customary involved here.

Kentucky seems relatively liberal about disclosing grand jury proceedings, so maybe there's more "customary" there.

Seems like a really odd thing to say.

Maybe the analogy is to a jury trial, where the presentation of evidence is recorded/transcribed, but the jury deliberations are not and are sacrosanct secret except in really limited circumstances.  Attorney argument is not part of that secrecy, though.

This is my surprised face

Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron files motion to keep Breonna Taylor grand jury files secret

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron filed a motion on Wednesday asking the court to dismiss an anonymous grand juror's request to speak publicly about the grand jury proceedings in the Breonna Taylor case. The motion comes after the juror asked the court in a legal filing to grant them permission to publicly disclose some parts of the proceedings. 

"As I've stated prior, I have no concerns with a grand juror sharing their thoughts or opinions about me and my office's involvement in the matter involving the death of Ms. Breonna Taylor," Cameron said in a statement announcing the motion. "However, I have concerns with a grand juror seeking to make anonymous and unlimited disclosures about the grand jury proceedings." 

In the hours after the juror's filing, Cameron said his office would release a recording of the grand jury proceedings. His office released about 15 hours of recordings days later. 

The recordings do not include the charging recommendations that were presented to the grand jury, because they are not considered evidence, Cameron's office said. Cameron has said that his office did not recommend murder charges against the other two officers involved in Taylor's death. 

In an interview with local station WDRB, Cameron said the grand jury could have recommended more charges if they concluded it was appropriate. "I suppose... you know, again, the grand jury had two and a half days to ask questions, you know I suppose if they wanted to push... they're an independent body. If they wanted to make an assessment about different charges they could have done that. But our recommendation was that [officers] Mattingly and Cosgrove were justified in their acts, in their conduct, and that officer Hankison at least it was appropriate at this stage to charge him with wanton endangerment."

But in a previous interview with CBS News, University of Kentucky College of Law professor Cortney Lollar said it's unlikely that grand jurors would have enough knowledge of applicable law to recommend more serious charges. 

"Most grand jurors are not lawyers, they aren't experts with the legal process," Lollar said. "They're going to take a look at the evidence and the law presented to them and decide whether there's enough to charge based on what's presented to them."

So it was correct to assume that the AG would not actually share any of the charging recommendations - which was the basis of the request from the grand juror.

Smells like shit to me

Get them to get people registered to vote, educated on the issues, and then get them to the voting booth.  And get some of them to run for local offices.
If you see 5,000 people out marching in some city, they aren't going to change much.  But if those 5,000 people went out and tried to each get 5 people registered to vote, educated on the issues, and to a voting booth, then you will see some changed.
Because until you start start making changes in leadership at the city and county levels, ain't jack shit going to change.

Yeah I guess the problem with the WoD is that it’s a federal issue. You can’t rattle some pussy mayor into doing something about it near term.

32 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the AG is black.  i didn't see that coming.

Would you have guessed he was legal counsel to the senate majority leader and was spearhead on a number of judicial appointments under the current president? 

He's a political animal, playing the same "LAW AND ORDER"/"BACK THE BLUE" shell game to shield the police and the DA's office from public accountability.

EDIT: and I'm sure you wouldn't have guessed that Cameron also took action to prevent the adoption of anti-COVID measures and has a lawsuit pending decision in the Kentucky supreme court on the matter?

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Would you have guessed he was legal counsel to the senate majority leader and was spearhead on a number of judicial appointments under the current president? 

He's a political animal, playing the same "LAW AND ORDER"/"BACK THE BLUE" shell game to shield the police and the DA's office from public accountability.

EDIT: and I'm sure you wouldn't have guessed that Cameron also took action to prevent the adoption of anti-COVID measures and has a lawsuit pending decision in the Kentucky supreme court on the matter?

good info thanks.  further evidence of how beholden to politics our system is. 

31 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Jesus fucking christ. They lied on the affidavit to get the search warrant. From the linked article:

Detective Joshua Jaynes swore in a March 12 affidavit that he verified the packages with a postal inspector.

But Jaynes admitted something different on May 19 while being questioned by LMPD investigators looking into Taylor's fatal police shooting during a March 13 search of her apartment.

Jaynes said he actually had asked another officer, Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, to verify with postal inspectors that Jamarcus Glover, Taylor's ex-boyfriend and the target of a narcotics investigation, was getting packages at her home. And Mattingly had been told indirectly she wasn't.

"I could have worded a little bit differently in there," Jaynes told investigators about the affidavit he submitted declaring that he himself had verified the package information postal inspectors.

"It was just, uh, in my opinion, that when I reach out to (Mattingly), the end-all-be-all was gonna be from a U.S. postal inspector office or the post office."

The day after Jaynes gave his interview, Sgt. Jeremy Ruoff with the department's Public Integrity Unit filled out a form requesting to obtain records from Jaynes' computer. Jaynes has been on administrative reassignment since June.

Public Integrity Unit investigators in their July 2 summary wrote that "wording on the affidavit is misleading" and "given Jaynes' statement related to the information, should be reviewed for criminal actions."

They murdered Taylor on a bullshit search warrant that they lied (under oath and under color of law) to obtain.

33 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Shades of the Houston bullshit warrant that resulted in a shootout that got someone killed....someone died, based on a lie.  Getting murdery here.

Louisville police collected negative info about Breonna Taylor's boyfriend after fatal shooting

Oct. 9, 2020, 5:28 AM CDT
By Laura Strickler and Lisa Riordan Seville

WASHINGTON — Newly released documents from the internal investigation by Louisville, Kentucky, police of the shooting death of Breonna Taylor show that even after protests erupted nationwide and the case had been turned over to a special prosecutor, the police department was actively gathering negative information about Taylor's boyfriend.

The Louisville Metro Police Department was pursuing the information about the man, Kenneth Walker, while it was also investigating its own officers for shooting and killing Taylor.

The documents, part of thousands of pages and hundreds of hours of audio and video released to the public Wednesday, also show that an officer involved in the raid continued to search for a justification for it after Taylor's death.

One of the newly released documents, an investigative memo dated July 2, details how an investigator from the Public Integrity Unit, often dubbed the department's internal affairs team, began examining pictures and text messages from Walker's phone in late May.

That was two months after the shooting, when Taylor's death had begun to attract heightened attention from media and activists.

Walker's attorney and law enforcement experts questioned the relevance of the information to the investigation, as well as whether it could indicate a conflict of interest on the part of investigators.

"It's just a cover-up," said Steven Romines, the attorney representing Walker in a civil suit against the police department. "And it reflects the fact that over two months into the investigation of Breonna Taylor's death, LMPD [was] more interested in including unsupported allegations to smear Kenny Walker than it [was] in actually finding the truth."

Keystone cops lied on a warrant, didn't announce themselves, broke down a door, the homeowner with a legal firearm protecting his home fired one shot at the intruder, they returned fire in two volleys, totaling 40 shots or so, killing a unarmed citizen in bed. 

The fact that any of these incompetent yahoos still have a job is telling (and yes, some should be in prison)

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Keystone cops lied on a warrant, didn't announce themselves, broke down a door, the homeowner with a legal firearm protecting his home fired one shot at the intruder, they returned fire in two volleys, totaling 40 shots or so, killing a unarmed citizen in bed. 

The fact that any of these incompetent yahoos still have a job is telling (and yes, some should be in prison)

I honestly wouldn't care if it was a totally valid warrant, they were on camera announcing themselves, and the suspect emptied his clip...shooting their weapons haphazardly and hitting an unarmed occupant is still murder. They don't get the luxury of treating everyone they see on a raid as expendable.

Differentiating between hostiles and civilians is literally 90% of their weapons training.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Differentiating between hostiles and civilians is literally 90% of their weapons training.

Awfully big assumption that these particular officers had any.  The recorded comments from the SWAT officer during the investigation were pretty telling. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Before arriving on the scene, Knowles testified that he and other officers were not briefed that a man was inside the apartment.

He stated that he knew nothing about the investigation prior to being called in but was briefed on basic addresses.

Sept. 22:  Hankison said that he believed he saw a someone with a "long gun" or "AR-15" based on the sound of the shot fired and the stance of "the figure" after the door at Taylor's apartment was rammed open.

Sept. 22:  “I was afraid and it was a super helpless feeling knowing there is a guy with a AR-15,” Hankison said in an interview with LMPD on March 23 played for the grand jury. 

Hankison said Walker told police that Taylor was the one that shot at police and that she was dead. Hankison said audio of Walker is on a body camera.

Sept. 22:  A recording of Kenneth Walker, Taylor's boyfriend, being interviewed by police was played for jurors. 

Walker said that police told him they were looking for a white male in Taylor's apartment.

More to come....

Sloppy quote/edits here because I’m on Tapa. Paragraph breaks indicate a change in who is being quoted.

That first one. WTF? They weren’t briefed that a man was inside before they executed a warrant to arrest a man? The last quoted paragraph contradicts this.

The next one doesn’t even make sense. He SAW someone with a long gun based on the SOUND of the gunshot and the way the person was standing? It was a handgun, right? So this guy is either lying or completely fucking stupid. Why not both gif.

Those are the ones that really caught my eye, but man this whole thing was a clusterfuck, and it’s just going to get worse. Anybody understand what actually happened with body cams? It seems like they have recordings inside because there was audio of gunshots. Are they claiming that nobody turned theirs on until after they banged in the door?

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Calling them keystone cops and incompetent gives them a cover of stupidity and ignorance that they do not deserve. 
they purposefully lied to get the warrant that they purposefully chose to execute via night time raid, and they purposefully tried to smear the man that defended his home, along with purposefully trying to get the drug runner ex boyfriend to implicate her after the fact.

this wasn’t bungled. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, drt said:

Narcotics units across the country seem to have a common theme. The more comes out the more this seems to have in common with the Tuttle raid in Houston.   

This.  They are sounding more and more alike.

I'd have no problem with making it a law that any police action that is based on a warrant that was found to be procured in any material part by perjury is not entitled to ANY legal protection -- the actors are not acting under color of law, they have no legal justification for the entry, and they are not entitled to the defense of self-defense.  Put the onus on cops not to fucking LIE on the sworn statements to procure a warrant.

Or, alternatively, the crime of perjury on a warrant will be punished as the highest level offense that occurred in the course of executing the warrant, with no defenses available.  If you lie on a warrant (and such perjury is proven), and that results in someone dying, you are guilty of a homicide offense.

• Hook 'Em 1