What dystopian book/movie does 2020 most represent?

Parliament

Not the politics at all, but I think of Atlas Shrugged. In that universe, the economy slowed down to the point where everyone was unemplyed, poor and hungry. Stuff just...stopped.

Again, for different reasons, that happened now. Gas is cheap but nobody's buying. Meat is short but farms are euthanizing livestock.

What say you?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Not the politics at all, but I think of Atlas Shrugged. In that universe, the economy slowed down to the point where everyone was unemplyed, poor and hungry. Stuff just...stopped.

Again, for different reasons, that happened now. Gas is cheap but nobody's buying. Meat is short but farms are euthanizing livestock.

What say you?

Revelation

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

I'd actually say, given the complete aversion of science and people who believe in facts having to go underground....."A Canticle for Leibowitz"   And yes, I love the fact that the people most responsible for this ecosystem have never even thought about reading that book despite it's hardline pro-religion stance.  

But we're looking at plague, flying bugs who kill crops, and someone who has all the markings of a false messiah.  And yet, we can't help by adore him and pour on our adulation without the slightest hint of irony.  Your book is coming true, but you will not be saved by God, you will be saved by the Son, nor will you be saved by the Holy Spirit.  

In fact...you will not be saved at all.  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Is there a movie where the economy collapses, lots of people die, everything is on fire, and everyone is getting raped like hell in every metaphorical way possible?  That's the movie.

Speaking of fire. Not like it’s a topic. But have you seen what is happening with the ring of Fire volcano shit?  I’m friends with a volcanologist. He is originally from Iran. They have this whole chatter shit he invited me to. Guys from all over the world talking about volcanos and shit. This is huge. No one barely mentions it on MSM. Explains also the great white shark patterns. I track them with my app. That 20-25 female just hanging there. Damn. Her name is Katherine. 

SO another movie Terminator. It is dystopian. The future. And in the second one Arnold basically says of humans “it’s in your nature to destroy yourselves.”

I just want to say a big thank you to all of the authors of cheesy 1980s survivalist books, as they taught me a lot about sex at an early age (and The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern had awesome gun info).  The Wingman.  Doomsday Warrior.  The Survivalist.  
However, I have two complaints.  

1.It’s 2020 and I am not a mercenary flying around in an F-16, with a harem of Russian and Middle Eastern women inexplicably waiting for me in Kansas or Missouri.

2. All of the writers got it wrong.  Based on current events, in reality, survivalist and preppier types are unable to function if they can’t get their hair cut, their nails done, or if they can’t eat at Chili’s.  

I was led to believe that well-armed survivalists in the 1980s would be able to thrive after a nuclear apocalypse, and would be banging 10s, using destroyers as their own personal yachts, and fighting Nazis.

But there’s still a little part of me that wants to believe it.

spacer.png

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Total Recall yo!

If we're going to do Phillip K. Dick/Ahnold, let's go with Running Man.  Richard Dawson would have been the perfect host.

spacer.png

We all know that if such a show were to exist, it would trounce everything else in the ratings.  That's where we are at.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If we're going to do Phillip K. Dick/Ahnold, let's go with Running Man.  Richard Dawson would have been the perfect host.

spacer.png

We all know that if such a show were to exist, it would trounce everything else in the ratings.  That's where we are at.

Oh shit! Good one!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg07Jess5uU

John Ringo's book The Last Centurion from 2006 is eerily similar in some ways. We have Trump instead of Clinton as president, this pandemic is nowhere near as bad as the one in book, and no major global cooling event yet, but the similarities are there. The economic collapse and the growing rebellion against the demands of the government?

50 minutes ago, Apep said:

John Ringo's book The Last Centurion from 2006 is eerily similar in some ways. We have Trump instead of Clinton as president, this pandemic is nowhere near as bad as the one in book, and no major global cooling event yet, but the similarities are there. The economic collapse and the growing rebellion against the demands of the government?

I don't think Detroit has been turned into a Caliphate yet, but I can totally see a certain President having his opponent arrested and then refusing to leave the White House when he lost the election anyway

• Like 2

Couldnt believe it took 30+ posts to get to Idiocracy. A country of fucking retards kicking themselves in the nuts at every opportunity. Its damn near a modern day documentary rather than a fictional work however.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Couldnt believe it took 30+ posts to get to Idiocracy. A country of fucking retards kicking themselves in the nuts at every opportunity. Its damn near a modern day documentary rather than a fictional work however.

Every time I see that, Clevon still looks like Billy Ray Cyrus to me.

44 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Beat me to it

55 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Did you know that if you buy a patio set at Cosco they’ll just give ya that masters of law. Really! 

Edited by Nicole44

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

NFS, I figured it would be the first one out of the gate.  The surl is slipping and I want it fixed.