Beef Prices

B1G

I know times are hard in the meat industry but for the price of a prime grade boneless rib steak to jump from $15.99 a pound to $25.99 a pound in one week seems a bit much.

How are prices where you all live?

Do yourself a favor and try The Meat Board. Prices are fair and meat is excellent.
Good call. I had been planning to, it was on my way home from work down Camp Bowie until we moved in February and I forgot it was an option.

Two weeks ago, I paid $7.98/lb each for whole beef tenderloin and NY Strip. They were both USDA Choice and on sale. I was in another grocery store yesterday, and they wanted $7.50-$9.00/lb for various mixes of ground beef, not on sale. I passed.

The beef and pork are not reaping the benefit of these higher prices. Of course, it’s mostly the wholesalers. I’m switching to local meat lockers when my stash runs low. I can get grass fed and finished beef or bison for less than anything sold in the stores. Laziness is my only excuse for not doing so more than occasionally. I like to buy it by the side, but my sister and BIL both died, and they were who I partnered with to buy sides. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

23 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Went to Costco on Friday.

pretty shocking.  All the center meat display coolers were full of single serve cheese instead of beef and chicken.  The coolers against the cutting area were less than half full.

Market Street was packed full.  No issues or reduction in items.  As always, grabbed a handful of those pre-packaged Bison ribeyes and tossed them in the freezer.  My son loves them and now loves his seared in the cast iron with pico & lime juice on the side.  I usually eat mine with roasted pepper seared in the pan with the steak.  

On 5/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, wild_turkey said:

Do yourself a favor and try The Meat Board. Prices are fair and meat is excellent.

Had the grilled steak sandwich last week for lunch.  Am going to be going back for other choices as this one was top shelf.

• Like 1

Here's a question for the surl what is the "official" grade for a brisket? What is stamped on the packaging? What is on the label?

I was at kroger today and their briskets where in prime stamped cryos but the price label said choice on it $1.69/#

Here's a question for the surl what is the "official" grade for a brisket? What is stamped on the packaging? What is on the label?

I was at kroger today and their briskets where in prime stamped cryos but the price label said choice on it $1.69/#

I would say it is what is stamped on the cryo as that is done at the processing plant. The Kroger label is just the meat department code that is put in, weigh the meat and price label spits out of the machine to apply to the package.
If that was me there, my freezer would be full with them. Not only to smoke,but to grind for burgers and such.
  • Like 2

The grading is done by USDA inspectors at the packed. I think it is on a whole cow, but it may be done by primal. No one is grading in the back of the butcher counter, so I would go with the stamp on the package.
  • Like 1

Choice briskets @ Kroger were running $1.67/pound this past weekend with a Kroger card, and the case was nearly full as of Saturday around noon. There are now a few in my freezer awaiting the WSM treatment. That may have been a Memorial Day sale, though.

You got a great deal on a prime brisket. They’re subbing higher grade meat because they ran out of the cheaper stuff.

You got a great deal on a prime brisket. They’re subbing higher grade meat because they ran out of the cheaper stuff.
Grocery store butcher pricing is a strange animal. I got a choice rib roast over Easter weekend for like 70% off, butcher said it is because no one buys them that weekend. Whatever!