2021 RB Jonathon Brooks

texifornia

4 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Is MVP Recruiting a bunch of old white dudes?  Hey MVP, 1987 called they want their cheap sports soundtrack back, jfc.  All that said the kid has cuts, damn. 

Multiple cuts inside the tackles... Awesome!!  🤘

Might not be a good comparison, but he reminds me of Emmitt Smith who also lacked breakaway speed but was an elusive as Hell inside RB.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Um, he gets run down with ease A LOT by 140 pound kids playing 3A football.  And while some of the cuts are clearly legit, the competition also has a role in how elusive he looks.   

Admittedly, I’ve seen a lot of really bad small town high school football and might be overly critical because of that.  But sometimes it’s hard to overstate how bad and unathletic the competition at that level is compared to 5A and 6A in Texas.  Generally, I would expect a UT prospect from a really small school to look like he’s  a different species from the kids he’s playing against.  

Does he have track times or testing numbers?  

He's not fast.  Anyone saying that is clearly wrong - and I expect his track times are pretty pedestrian.  (looks like he only ran the 200)  https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=15340654

His talent is all in making guys miss - which he does pretty well.  

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Um, he gets run down with ease A LOT by 140 pound kids playing 3A football.  And while some of the cuts are clearly legit, the competition also has a role in how elusive he looks.   

Admittedly, I’ve seen a lot of really bad small town high school football and might be overly critical because of that.  But sometimes it’s hard to overstate how bad and unathletic the competition at that level is compared to 5A and 6A in Texas.  Generally, I would expect a UT prospect from a really small school to look like he’s  a different species from the kids he’s playing against.  

I agree fully with that. Jordan Whittington absolutely dominated in high school. Hopefully he continues that at UT. Swoopes won 1 or 2 games at the 2a level which was a huge red flag to me. If you're playing a team that has 0 players that will play college football of any type, you better be tearing shit up if you're a big time prospect.. Vince won playoff games practically by himself. Against teams loaded with D1 players

• Like 2

While I do like his elusiveness in small spaces, I'm pretty sure this eval is based mostly on frame and receiving ability.  Dude has the frame to put on a lot of muscle and be a stick-mover, not a home-run threat. Nothing at all wrong with that -- El Ced had more 10 yard runs than anybody in college football history, even if he didn't have a whole lot of 50+ yarders. If he turns out to be 1/3rd the back Benson was, that makes him a take for just about any program out there.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:02 PM, longhornmatt said:

22 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I agree fully with that. Jordan Whittington absolutely dominated in high school. Hopefully he continues that at UT. Swoopes won 1 or 2 games at the 2a level which was a huge red flag to me. If you're playing a team that has 0 players that will play college football of any type, you better be tearing shit up if you're a big time prospect.. Vince won playoff games practically by himself. Against teams loaded with D1 players

I feel the same and hoping for the best here.  Stoops, Steve Edmond, and that RB who threw the hook'em at Rick Perry have tainted my view.  

Different time I understand, but Billy Sims played at Hooks,  Edwin Simmons at Hawkins, Steve Worster at Bridge City, JK Dobbins at LaGrange.  Some 140  DB from Smithville probably tackled Dobbins and will talk about it for the rest of his life.  I bet Brooks is going to be better than Vondrell McGee, Tre Newton, Jeremy Hills, et.al.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Traylon Shead

Youngest brother played against Shead.  Kid on his team about 5'9 180 lbs knocked the shit out of Shead and he was out on the ground about 5 minutes.  His mouth piece flew out when he got hit and when he got up he was in a different world, came over to our sidelines instead of his team.  He didn't play the next game.

Damn straight about D'onta Foreman.  When I did a Daddy98 impression and watched his senior "tape", I thought he was a great take regardless of his brother.  Everyone was bitching about a wasted scholarship.  I hope Brooks has the last laugh like D'onta and minus the helicopter Dad.   

Edited by lemonandaturd

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

- El Ced had more 10 yard runs than anybody in college football history,

Is this an actual fact or your way of saying ced seemed to get a lot of 10 yard runs?  Not calling you out, just curious because it's good trivia if true.

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

Is this an actual fact or your way of saying ced seemed to get a lot of 10 yard runs?  Not calling you out, just curious because it's good trivia if true.

I remember hearing it repeated multiple times in Nov/Dec of his senior year. I'm sure it's possible to look up to verify, but as of now my source is "I think I done heard it somewheres or t'other."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

They also recruit nothing but 3 stars.

Yet those schools always have decent RBs while it’s feast-or-famine at Texas. If we don’t have a Doak Walker winner, we have a Kyle Porter. A bit of an exaggeration, I know, but it’s been an issue for decades. 

6 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Different time I understand, but Billy Sims played at Hooks,  Edwin Simmons at Hawkins, Steve Worster at Bridge City, JK Dobbins at LaGrange.  Some 140  DB from Smithville probably tackled Dobbins and will talk about it for the rest of his life.  I bet Brooks is going to be better than Vondrell McGee, Tre Newton, Jeremy Hills, et.al.  

JFC man. No one has said that small school guys can’t be good. The point isn’t that he plays small school ball and sometimes gets tackled by 140 lb kids. It’s that he’s not dominating his level. Go watch JK Dobbins HS hudl, then watch Brooks. They’re not even in the same universe. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

12 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I remember hearing it repeated multiple times in Nov/Dec of his senior year. I'm sure it's possible to look up to verify, but as of now my source is "I think I done heard it somewheres or t'other."

ill allow it GIF

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yet those schools always have decent RBs while it’s feast-or-famine at Texas. If we don’t have a Doak Walker winner, we have a Kyle Porter. A bit of an exaggeration, I know, but it’s been an issue for decades. 

I was pointing out that you are more statistically more likely to recruit over performing 3 stars when you recruit more 3 stars. It also helps to evaluate and scout for talent rather than sign the kid running for 2000 yards behind an o-line that would make many FCS teams envious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

I was pointing out that you are more statistically more likely to recruit over performing 3 stars when you recruit more 3 stars. It also helps to evaluate and scout for talent rather than sign the kid running for 2000 yards behind an o-line that would make many FCS teams envious.

Ich verstehe. All I’m saying is if all these schools, including Texas, sign 3 RBs a year (Texas with two 4-stars and one 3-star, the others with two 3-stars and one 2-star), those other schools almost always hit for extra bases with 1, while Texas hits a HR every 5-10 years. The rest are dribblers to first base.

19 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Ich verstehe. All I’m saying is if all these schools, including Texas, sign 3 RBs a year (Texas with two 4-stars and one 3-star, the others with two 3-stars and one 2-star), those other schools almost always hit for extra bases with 1, while Texas hits a HR every 5-10 years. The rest are dribblers to first base.

Augie-Ball Rules!!!!

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Huh? You think we’ve had issues at RB for decades? Have you actually watched Texas football in the last twenty years? 

Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson, Jamaal Charles, Donta Foreman, Chris Ogbannaya, Fozzy Whitaker, Selvin Young, Hodges Mitchell. Hell, even Jonathan Gray and Malcolm Brown were solid considering the circumstances and both Keiontay and RoJo have proven to be good options. That’s a pretty consistently high level of talent at RB over the past decades. 

I think you’re conflating RB talent/production with OL/scheme issues. The success of the RBs in the programs you’re talking about have a lot more to do with good offensive scheme and coaching stability than the guys they’re signing. 

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Literally no one signs 3 RBs per year and Texas doesn’t even take one 3 star RB per year. Texas probably only takes a 3 star RB once every 2-3 years, and they’re usually behind 4 and 5 stars, so yeah, we’re not gonna hit HRs with a lot of 3 star RBs. 

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? You think we’ve had issues at RB for decades? Have you actually watched Texas football in the last twenty years? 

Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson, Jamaal Charles, Donta Foreman, Chris Ogbannaya, Fozzy Whitaker, Selvin Young, Hodges Mitchell. Hell, even Jonathan Gray and Malcolm Brown were solid considering the circumstances and both Keiontay and RoJo have proven to be good options. That’s a pretty consistently high level of talent at RB over the past decades. 

I think you’re conflating RB talent/production with OL/scheme issues. The success of the RBs in the programs you’re talking about have a lot more to do with good offensive scheme and coaching stability than the guys they’re signing. 

Literally no one signs 3 RBs per year and Texas doesn’t even take one 3 star RB per year. Texas probably only takes a 3 star RB once every 2-3 years, and they’re usually behind 4 and 5 stars, so yeah, we’re not gonna hit HRs with a lot of 3 star RBs. 

Like I said, we’ve had home runs. More than few of our RBs (including a couple on your list) were thrown out at second. Besides, when I say decades, I’m talking more like 4. It’s been feast or famine regarding Texas RBs. OU recruits more like we do at RB, yet they always seem to have at least 2 who are very productive.

You’re absolutely correct that our OL problems have contributed to our sometimes weak running game, but our stud RBs have also made some of our OLs look better than they are.

I picked 3 RBs per year because that’s better than saying 2.3333333 to illustrate that we take more 4-stars than 3-star RBs. Adding in the rare 5-star RB makes my head spin. I’m not that good at the maths.

I’m ready to move on from this. Hopefully, we will evaluate well enough (OL and RB) moving forward that our running game will be forever a team strength. Then, we can debate ad nauseam whether it’s because of the OL or RBs.  

Yea, Jonathon Brooks. Hook ‘em. 

I think it's safe to say we're all rooting for Jonathan Brooks to succeed at Texas. 

No one has said 3-stars can't succeed at this level, D'onta Foreman is a prime example, but if you watch D'onta's tape you wonder why he was rated so low....watching Jonathan Brooks' tape you can clearly see why he is a 3-star.

That said, I'll trust the staff's evaluation until I see the product on the field.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, but other than those dozen plus guys, Shon Mitchell, and Ramonce Taylor, what talent has Texas had at running back in recent decades? 

On 5/18/2020 at 8:34 PM, longhornmatt said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that film of D’onta before.  Even without the benefit of hindsight, there’s no way anyone should have rated him a 2 or 3 star.  “Gee, I wonder if the guy who’s both the biggest and the fastest player on the field and who is constantly running through tackles and breaking long TDs might be a prospect?”   He ran for about 1,900 yards his senior year of high school on 10 YPC with long speed at around 215 pounds.   How does that translate to borderline 2 star?

But aside from football, how did he do in the camps? *

*sarcasm

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hville lost... against the #1 team at their level. Brooks had 4 TDs... but didn't fully take over the game.

It's the Choose Your Own Adventure of evaluation!

Hallettsville is 3A D1 and Shiner is 2A D1 so actually 2 levels down. ...351 enrollment vs 223 ...over 50% higher enrollment. 

By comparison,  Cedric Benson dominated the largest classification for 3 straight seasons with everyone in the stadium knowing he was getting the ball 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Hallettsville is 3A D1 and Shiner is 2A D1 so actually 2 levels down. ...351 enrollment vs 223 ...over 50% higher enrollment. 

By comparison,  Cedric Benson dominated the largest classification for 3 straight seasons with everyone in the stadium knowing he was getting the ball 

"Brooks carried 16 times for 142 yards and scored on runs of 18, 26 and 1 yards, and returned a fumble 51 yards for a touchdown."

Avg almost 9 yds per carry, score 4 TDs, but he couldn't stop his defense from giving up 44 points? Pitiful, pull his scholly.

Trying to compare him to Cedric Benson when we're not expecting him to play a Cedric Benson role for us is asinine. He's meant to be the RB2 for this class, and he did his fair share of dominating at a level where he should be dominating. Would he be able to jump to 6A and have the same game? Probably not. But we're not recruiting him to give him 25 carries a game.

• Hook 'Em 3