2021 WR Casey Cain

texifornia

Prove the doubters wrong, Casey. Hook 'em!

https://247sports.com/Player/Casey-Cain-46082635/

He plays big for 6-foot-2, with great hands and feet. He’s not a speedster, but he gets open. He’s good in the red zone with a nice wingspan and high-point ability. He ran a 4.7 40-yard dash at The Opening over a year ago, but you can see his stride and glide. He plays pretty smooth and could potentially be a contributor down the road. – Justin Wells

https://insidetexas.com/texas-lands-casey-cain/

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kid shows some really nice hands and a willingness to play with some physicality blocking - though its impossible to tell if he plays with that temperament all the time, which is a hell of a lot more important than being able to do it once in a while.

Of all the years this is probably the one where the “rankings don’t matter” stuff is true (I think we all know these services rely too much on camps). That said, that offer list doesn’t inspire much confidence. Looking back at some of Coleman’s recruits at K state, he didn’t show some innate ability to uncover hidden gems.. he did get NFL guys in Byron Pringle (twice actually, once while at Youngstown St then again after he went JUCO) and Dalton Schoen, but he was a walk on.

Don’t mean this as an indictment of Casey, but what I really don’t get is our staff’s insistence on signing big, slow receivers when rule changes in recent years clearly favor faster, quicker guys as less physicality is allowed. Having one of those guys is fine but we seem to sign at least one a class while lacking many speed guys on the outside.

• Like 1

4.7 from a year ago as a sophomore / rising junior isn’t necessarily that bad, especially if his high school doesn’t have the level of training program you find at suburban Texas high school powers.  Maybe the athletic upside is greater than the rankings indicate.
On the other hand, the gurus trying to tell me a 6’2” 175 pound WR is somehow going to be a giant size mismatch for DBs just makes me remember the Bobby Kennedy years and want to vomit.  

3 star louisianimal would be a 5 star Texas kid all day.
Did I do that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

4.7 from a year ago as a sophomore / rising junior isn’t necessarily that bad, especially if his high school doesn’t have the level of training program you find at suburban Texas high school powers.  Maybe the athletic upside is greater than the rankings indicate.  On the other hand, the gurus hyping up the size of a 6’2” 175 pound WR as if that’s some giant mismatch for DBs just makes me remember the Bobby Kennedy years and want to vomit.  

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

On the other hand, the gurus hyping up the size of a 6’2” 175 pound WR as if that’s some giant mismatch for DBs just makes me remember the Bobby Kennedy years and want to vomit.  

frames can vary quite a bit within the limits of 6’2” 175#.  he does seem to have a good frame with room to add good weight.  

9 minutes ago, Moderator said:

His 200m time converted to 40 yd dash would be sub 4.4.  does it just take him a while to accelerate but he has extremely high end speed when he gets to it?  Or am I bad at math?

Are you just dividing distance by time? Or have some sort of conversion table where X in the 200m typically translates to a Y in the 40? 1st ~10 yards are gonna be the slowest piece (and what's most translatable to football) and more heavily weighted in a 40 than a 200m

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Are you just dividing distance by time? Or have some sort of conversion table where X in the 200m typically translates to a Y in the 40? 1st ~10 yards are gonna be the slowest piece (and what's most translatable to football) and more heavily weighted in a 40 than a 200m

Yes Or No GIF

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

During my early football days (late 70s-early 80's) I was told that the reason we used 40 yard dash to time football player is because that's the distance where we typically reach maximal speed. That said, I would wager that every individual has their own curve. Take a look at this acceleration curve from the world's fastest sprinter.

main-qimg-a916f8609d38f5e1eae3b818814ae6

He continues to accelerate well beyond 40m, although the increment is smaller moving to the right. I would imagine that could explain the disparity of a person's 200m time vs 40. I wouldn't trust any conversion table, because I imagine a well-designed study generating such table would contain sizable error bars.

• Like 1

How about this as an answer... after doing a little math I think he just took average velocity and then converted to 40 yards. The same math would suggest Usain Bolt would run a 3.51 40. So it's not the math calculation that sucks. It's the application of the math that sucks.

As for the anecdote i've heard regarding why the 40 is used is just that it was something that Lombardi used in Green Bay. They were wildly successful and everyone decided to copy him and then it just became the standard.

So I am bad at math.  Also just looking at elite speed WRs he does not compare favorably at the 200m.  ~4 secs behind Tyreek Hill, Randy Moss, etc... vs their hs 200m .  Not expecting him to be comparable but brings it into better focus for myself.  So we are hoping he is crisp at routes and a good possession receiver.  

2 minutes ago, Moderator said:

So I am bad at math.  Also just looking at elite speed WRs he does not compare favorably at the 200m.  ~4 secs behind Tyreek Hill, Randy Moss, etc... vs their hs 200m .  Not expecting him to be comparable but brings it into better focus for myself.  So we are hoping he is crisp at routes and a good possession receiver.  

His times are also from his sophomore year. He could show up in Austin with better speed than when he was 15-16

51 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1