Let's stop Probably Racist Practices/Bias by making a slightly less Racist Practice?

Drew

38 minutes ago, Iceman said:

gave him shit for leaving the lockerroom and standing at the edge of the tunnel for the anthem.  Tomlin challenged a former  Green Beret and graduate of West Point's commitment to some idiotic lockerroom directive, when bigger principles were in play.  there was zero chance Villanuava was going along with the bullshit move, and as a leader Tomlin should have recognized it.  Instead, he was petty.

I know Villanueva is of Spanish descent.  It was a shot at the scorekeepers.  They fell for it.

Is this what you mean by giving him shit? 

"Tomlin said Villanueva, a former Army Ranger, has no reason to apologize for coming out toward the field for the anthem while his teammates stood back in the tunnel. Villanueva said he felt as though he threw his teammates “under the bus” by not standing with them.

“Al’s got a unique story,” Tomlin said. “It’s a shame to put him in that position because he is a team guy and has always been a team guy. We work very hard to be united as a team when things are aimed at us.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/26/mike-tomlin-steelers-anthem-protest-alejandro-villanueva-nfl-donald-trumo/stories/201709260118

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

What do you get for a woman coach?

"Let's go.  Run it again."

Hire a woman as HC and she gets to pick all the first rounders for every team, you know, since women like telling everyone else what to do. 

• Like 2

The idea that just because the majority of players are black, that means a bunch of owners and coaches and GMs should be black is asinine.  Front office jobs and coaching are completely different skill sets than being a player. Since majority of players are black, it makes sense the best way for white guys to get into the game is through another avenue, like coaching or scouting, etc.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Is this what you mean by giving him shit? 

"Tomlin said Villanueva, a former Army Ranger, has no reason to apologize for coming out toward the field for the anthem while his teammates stood back in the tunnel. Villanueva said he felt as though he threw his teammates “under the bus” by not standing with them.

“Al’s got a unique story,” Tomlin said. “It’s a shame to put him in that position because he is a team guy and has always been a team guy. We work very hard to be united as a team when things are aimed at us.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/09/26/mike-tomlin-steelers-anthem-protest-alejandro-villanueva-nfl-donald-trumo/stories/201709260118

That wasn't his first reaction...

He's pissed that Villanueva deviated from the "100% team participation."  What you are citing is damage control after Tomlin realized he fucked up with his comments.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

Considering the percentage of players that are black, does that ratio not seem strange to you?

Pretty sure I didn’t say anything to that affect or implied it.

Not only is the idea that the number of player of a certain race means the number of coaches should be the same color completely backwards, but the idea that you should reward teams for hiring possibly less qualified candidates just to push an agenda is crazy.

I was very clear saying that they absolutely need to address the disparity in minority coaches/GMs.

But this practice could be considered racist as well. Now qualified white candidates would have less of a chance.

I understand that it’s been happening Forever for minority candidates but you don’t improve racial inequality by adding more on the other side.

I didn't say were were implying anything, did I?  But I asked: if 50% of the players are black and say, 10% are coaches, wouldn't you wonder why?  

How would you know what candidates are qualified and which ones are less qualified?

Yes, and it could be racist, "two wrongs don't make a right," etc.  OK, you don't think this is the right way to go about changing things.  

If you agree the player/coach ratios are off and there is something causing it, do you do something or not?

People always bitch about Title IX, too.  But they aren't going to treat people equally unless they are forced to.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

But they aren't going to treat people equally unless they are forced to.

wrong. I mean it's correct for some folks, but you can't just say that about everyone...

There's also a big difference between damanding equality in hiring and then stacking the deck in the favor of the minority coach.  Sanction the owners, if need be.  Don't change the level of competition on the field.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Considering the percentage of players that are black, does that ratio not seem strange to you?

The argument that the percentage of black coaches should align with the % of black players is flawed. Only 20% of NFL head coaches actually played in the NFL. What they were doing was learning the job by rising up the ranks, starting as GA’s, assistants in high school and college, becoming coordinators and so on. Black players aren’t getting that training. They are playing. And when they retire, they’ve probably made enough money that they are unwilling to start at the bottom. It’s the old adage “He who can, does; he who can’t, teaches”

15 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Hiring black men for 3/5 rounders? Ridiculous. 

I thought Manfred was bad, so Goodell had to swoop in with a hold my beer moment.

3/5 ... 3/5 ... wait, 3/5? I see what they did here!

The US Constitution allowed southern states to count slaves as 3/5 of  a person for the purpose of apportionment in Congress! That's it by God!

The NFL is simply relying upon Constitutional precedent for this brilliant plan.

This is Wyle E. Coyote Super Genius material here fellas.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

The argument that the percentage of black coaches should align with the % of black players is flawed. Only 20% of NFL head coaches actually played in the NFL. What they were doing was learning the job by rising up the ranks, starting as GA’s, assistants in high school and college, becoming coordinators and so on. Black players aren’t getting that training. They are playing. And when they retire, they’ve probably made enough money that they are unwilling to start at the bottom. It’s the old adage “He who can, does; he who can’t, teaches”

Racial makeup of the population of players and NFL playing experience aren't the same thing.

18 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So up 6 spots for minority head coach, and up 10 spots for minority GM.  How many spots for minority owner?

How many spots for a disabled coach.  Can we get a chart so we can all know what disadvantages people bring to the table.  If a candidate was touched by an uncle, as a child, how many points is that?  I know having a disability isn’t comparable but my point is where will this stop.  Doesn’t matter if someone is more qualified for a particular job it only matters that they have certain physical characteristics.   It would suck for those individuals that would be forced into these positions because their coworkers wouldn’t respect them.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

How many spots for a disabled coach.  Can we get a chart so we can all know what disadvantages people bring to the table.  If a candidate was touched by an uncle, as a child, how many points is that? 

Yeah the Texans need better draft position for their coach with no brain 

• Like 2

The proposal is ridiculous..  just not as ridiculous as the problem itself.

This won’t be a popular post & I would likely have a completely different position if I weren’t friends with parties involved.  

There are “rules” among the owners that make it excessively challenging for a minority to climb the ranks at the top level in the NFL.   I hate quotas & nepotism, but the NFL has serious issues with prejudice owners.   

The proposed solution may sound whacked, but if anything it shows how bad the situation is.   

I hope nothing like the draft picks comes to fruition, but the next time you shake your head over a draft pick or coaching situation  realize a lot of these decision making clowns are retreads that are “system friendly” guys.

A lot of very smart, football minded alphas that would make great leaders after retiring from their playing days don’t bother due to the system in place.

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How many first rounders do they get for picking a Japanese coach or a Samoan ?  What about a guy in a wheel chair ?  or wait ........... I know a midget ??

horse stepping GIF by Digg

Looks like the Broncos or trying to secure the #1pick with their new mascot.  

Edited by stork642

The US is 77% white according to 2010 census. Because coaching has nothing to do with altheticism and fast twitch muscle content, an expectation of >23% of HC and GM jobs being filled by minorities is disproportionate to the population, assuming that all populations have an equal “coaching/GM talent.”

The NFL currently has 8 minority HCs (25% of the league). Is there a problem statistically?

My first thought was “what is the correct amount of minority head coaches and gms?”

Based on % of minority players in the nfl?  In organized football at all levels?  All nfl employees?  Assistant coaches?  People in America (no)?

how many gms and head coaches are former nfl players?  Even major college players? What’s the corresponding % in college football?  High school football?  

3 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Whatever helps jerrah ensure his team remains relegated to mediocrity...

Other than his own lineage of course.

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

What about mascots? Would a new crazy ray get us anything?

I miss that guy almost as much as Jimmy Johnson.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There is nothing special about an NFL game experience unless it’s a playoff game. The special part is Bubba’s on my couch in front of my 75 inches watching the Boys. Cheering when they win, laughing when they lose, and always I’m glad I’m never at the cesspool that is any pro football stadium. It is 75% comprised of the worst that city has to offer. 

only time I actually paid in 16 years of living there was when our oldest son was in the team presenting the colors before the game.  We still have his sideline credential with none other than Matt Schaub's autograph.  For all of his shortcomings on the field, he was a good dude.  We got tix for free to 1 game per season through my work.  I always enjoyed the tailgating and shooting the shit with other teams' fans.  I prefer the college gamedays, but Houston's is fun too. Fuck Bill o'Brien

Edited by Iceman

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Does mental handicap count as a minority, and if so,can Houston get some draft picks because Bill O’Brien is retarded?

Then BOB could use those to trade for more over-priced skill position players. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The US is 77% white according to 2010 census. Because coaching has nothing to do with altheticism and fast twitch muscle content, an expectation of >23% of HC and GM jobs being filled by minorities is disproportionate to the population, assuming that all populations have an equal “coaching/GM talent.”

The NFL currently has 8 minority HCs (25% of the league). Is there a problem statistically?

8 minority head coaches seems high to me, and a (very) cursory search didn't indicate to me who you are talking about. I could certainly be missing someone obvious, but I know of 3 black head coaches (Judge, Tomlin, and Lynn). I imagine you are including Ron Rivera, who is of Puerto Rican / Mexican descent? Who are the others?

40 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

8 minority head coaches seems high to me, and a (very) cursory search didn't indicate to me who you are talking about. I could certainly be missing someone obvious, but I know of 3 black head coaches (Judge, Tomlin, and Lynn). I imagine you are including Ron Rivera, who is of Puerto Rican / Mexican descent? Who are the others?

You are right. The article in my google search was 2018. It is 4 now (yes, Rivera is a minority).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Judge is white. Miami’s Brian Flores is Black/Hispanic 

• Like 1

so let me run this plan by everyone

1. trade off all your high dollar older players for future draft picks

2. hire Charlie Strong as head corch and GM (GM in name only)

3. lose for 2 years in a row while you stock up on low round draft picks and get the advantages of Charile

4. make lots of trades of picks and players (some even drafted with your low picks to immediately trade if you can not trade those lower picks you get because of Charlie being a minority)

5. year 3 have a shit tonne of draft picks in the low rounds because of trades, Charlie's corching, and Charlie is a minority. Draft all the great players you can

6. immediately fire Charlie after the draft and hire a competent coach

7. profit?