The all encompassing RV thread

troph

I wouldn't try and run the generator to run the AC.  Waste of gas in my opinion.  .  Maybe keep a small 1000 or 2000 watt generator to keep the battery charged, charge your devices, run some fans or watch the tv.  Think about got much dry camping you're going to do anyways.  When we had our trailer we never really dry camped more than 2 or 3 days at a time.  Just find places that have hook ups.  

Just depends on what you want to do.  We dry camp for up to a week at a time throughout the year, often down at PINS. During the summer, we're running the A/C, there's no real choice there.  Just a standard 30A travel trailer with a single 15K BTU A/C so our 3500W inverter generator is plenty.  But @trophwould need more than that to run two A/Cs.

• Like 1

I’ve sold mine and don’t plan on another until kids are gone. Kids actually interfered with our usage and we just stopped doing it once they got older.

Some things I’d suggest from my experience: good that you have the 50 to 30 dog bone, I’d also suggest a 50 to 15amp 110V dog bone. You obviously won’t be able to run much, but it is nice to be able to plug in for light, fan, etc. into a normal outlet. A giant Tupperware container with lid to store your poop hose. Good quality air compressor. Leveling blocks. These come in handy when you don’t get a perfectly flat area to setup. Some party lights for your canopy.

• Like 1

Anyway, our old RV camper was a vintage 1963 Airstream Overlander, 26' model.  I posted a lot of my restoration pictures, I guess on the old site on whichever thread was similar to the DIY thread we have here.   I did all of the restoration myself including floor replacement, aluminum panel replacement, building and installing replacement furniture, installing A/C, running entirely new freshwater system with PEX, installing a gray tank (1963 didn't have one, only black), updating electrical, and a bunch of other stuff.  I loved that trailer but it was just too small for our family as the kids got older, and I also found that maintaining it wasn't as fun as building/restoring and there was always something going wrong with it.  Here's a shot down at PINS.

460949_2096450467342_402083085_o.jpg?_nc

Edited by utee94
  • Like 3

So a couple of years ago I sold the Airstream and we bought a new, more modern, and more functional RV-- that doesn't look nearly as cool as the Airstream.  But that's okay, the wife and kids love it, and happy wife = happy life, as the saying goes.

Here's the new one:

98456283_10207151190254605_3827920629403

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texaus said:

Some things I’d suggest from my experience: good that you have the 50 to 30 dog bone, I’d also suggest a 50 to 15amp 110V dog bone. You obviously won’t be able to run much, but it is nice to be able to plug in for light, fan, etc. into a normal outlet. A giant Tupperware container with lid to store your poop hose. Good quality air compressor. Leveling blocks. These come in handy when you don’t get a perfectly flat area to setup. Some party lights for your canopy.

These are all good suggestions.  Also add a small toolkit, including fuses for the slide out motors (if not on a DC breaker) and a ratchet that fits the mechanism for the slide out.  If something hangs up and you pop all the fuses, you will have to manually  ratchet out the slideout.  Its doable, but man it sucks.  Inevitably, this will happen on a late July night, just as you made the gate entry cutoff at some park and its still 98F outside.

Also, never forget your hose spreader or y coupling.

• Like 1

More random stuff: large mat to roll out once you get set up. Don’t forget to put in awning if you leave and there is the slightest chance of rain. Folding table. Fan for outside. Splitter for water hose connection. Jack and tire iron suitable for trailer.

• Like 1

But to be honest we are slipping into the 7.3L cult. That 01 was super clean and ran well. We really like the near-vintage nature. We have near term plans to have some land in west Texas and that would a bad ass ranch truck. But truth be told we wouldn’t like it if something went out on it on the mountain.

Have you validated the gross weight + gear?  Seeing the '35 Puma @ 7,600lbs gross.  As long as the incline isn't too significant, the Tundra (which we all know tows space shuttles...) can handle that fine.  I see them all the time to/fro leases before and after hunting season heading West on I20 being pulled by a 1/2 ton.  

More random stuff: large mat to roll out once you get set up. Don’t forget to put in awning if you leave and there is the slightest chance of rain. Folding table. Fan for outside. Splitter for water hose connection. Jack and tire iron suitable for trailer.

Good stuff.

With the toy-hauler we have a lot of storage capacity so we are taking a legit outdoor living set up with a three seater couch, two chairs to match and a coffee table.

We have a small 14 inch acorn BGE style grill and a 22 inch griddle (propane) is open fires are prohibited. Will likely get a propane grill too.

Walk through with dealer we talked all about the awning. Getting string lights too.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Anyway, our old RV camper was a vintage 1963 Airstream Overlander, 26' model.  I posted a lot of my restoration pictures, I guess on the old site on whichever thread was similar to the DIY thread we have here.   I did all of the restoration myself including floor replacement, aluminum panel replacement, building and installing replacement furniture, installing A/C, running entirely new freshwater system with PEX, installing a gray tank (1963 didn't have one, only black), updating electrical, and a bunch of other stuff.  I loved that trailer but it was just too small for our family as the kids got older, and I also found that maintaining it wasn't as fun as building/restoring and there was always something going wrong with it.  Here's a shot down at PINS.

460949_2096450467342_402083085_o.jpg?_nc

Your choice in flags, is.....disturbing.....

• Haha 1

Have you validated the gross weight + gear?  Seeing the '35 Puma @ 7,600lbs gross.  As long as the incline isn't too significant, the Tundra (which we all know tows space shuttles...) can handle that fine.  I see them all the time to/fro leases before and after hunting season heading West on I20 being pulled by a 1/2 ton.  

I think we max the payload and slightly to moderately exceed the tow capacity with tanks full (water alone is 100 gal) and all gear loaded. And our 35 footer isn’t 7600 it’s 9868.

a623e1116f5af8073dd4691de6d214ac.jpg
  • Like 1

Just now, troph said:

I think we max the payload and slightly to moderately exceed the tow capacity with tanks full (water alone is 100 gal) and all gear loaded. And our 35 footer isn’t 7600 it’s 9868.

Gotcha.  No worries.  Betting there are a ton of oil-field trucks on the market that will haul that.  Most have the added bonus of extended gas tanks.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Just depends on what you want to do.  We dry camp for up to a week at a time throughout the year, often down at PINS. During the summer, we're running the A/C, there's no real choice there.  Just a standard 30A travel trailer with a single 15K BTU A/C so our 3500W inverter generator is plenty.  But @trophwould need more than that to run two A/Cs.

Honest question: how much gas you burn running the AC for a week?

Also, I'm not sure how it applies to two females, but when me and my wife had our trailer, we had a good system to getting the thing backed into camping spots.

I know it sort of goes against all male instinct to let your wife drive  the rig and all, but we had great success with my wife behind the wheel and me outside giving her very detailed directions.   Like "turn left a quarter" , "turn right a half",  "ok slowly back up",  "stop".  Stuff like that.  It works better because  I knew exactly what do and could walk around and see everything.    vs my wife just yelling "riiiighhht"  "straighten ooouut".  "too far",  "aaahhh staaaahhhhppp".

• Like 3

Also, I'm not sure how it applies to two females, but when me and my wife had our trailer, we had a good system to getting the thing backed into camping spots.
I know it sort of goes against all male instinct to let your wife drive  the rig and all, but we had great success with my wife behind the wheel and me outside giving her very detailed directions.   Like "turn left a quarter" , "turn right a half",  "ok slowly back up",  "stop".  Stuff like that.  It works better because  I knew exactly what do and could walk around and see everything.    vs my wife just yelling "riiiighhht"  "straighten ooouut".  "too far",  "aaahhh staaaahhhhppp".

I’m the turn left a quarter inch and she’s the driver. We both drive on the road. She takes the mountain passes. Though I don’t like that part. I set up the insides of the trailer she does all the hookups. She washes the outside I clean the inside. She runs the grill I run the oven. We’ve got the division of labor and tag-team figured out after a few years together.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Def need a 3/4 ton if not a 1 ton for this thing when loaded out.  With full water, propane and all your shit it will be 12K easy.  

Also, awaiting next post:  "Since we got the toy hauler, we might as well get a couple of 4 wheelers or a buggy to go in the back".    Looking forward to trophs pics from next years Mud Nationals at River Run park.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well I’m a serious adrenaline junkie so maybe. I still want to race cars so why not a sand dune vehicle for out in Utah?

I told my gf we will go everywhere with this thing if I have my way.

With the kids we are hauling a fair amount of outdoor furniture instead though.

On the truck - it’s a firm no on the tundra. Buddy will loan us his 7.3 or 6.7 ford whichever we want if we don’t find a truck. Right now we *really* want that 01 350 7.3L.

I know more about trucks now than I ever thought I would. One week. Crazy.

32 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m the turn left a quarter inch and she’s the driver. We both drive on the road. She takes the mountain passes. Though I don’t like that part. I set up the insides of the trailer she does all the hookups. She washes the outside I clean the inside. She runs the grill I run the oven. We’ve got the division of labor and tag-team figured out after a few years together.

It's good to have a system, so you know who is to blame when shit goes wrong.  :)

• Haha 1

I'll either be dead this weekend or my coaching friend really likes us because he's helping us pick it up friday and taking it to his ranch out past Liberty Hill.  we'll do a dry run for CO this weekend and get to ride ATVs, have fires and all sorts of good stuff.  he actually really likes my boys so I'm positive that's it.

Edited by troph

14 minutes ago, troph said:

I'll either be dead this weekend or my coaching friend really likes us because he's helping us pick it up friday and taking it to his ranch out past Liberty Hill.  we'll do a dry run for CO this weekend and get to ride ATVs, have fires and all sorts of good stuff.  he actually really likes my boys so I'm positive that's it.

Good plan.  Spend as much time as you can on the logistics of ownership.  Hooking up.  Taking down.  Parking & backing into tight spots.  Electric and plumbing tactics.  Changing a flat tire.  Etc.  Nothing too crazy, but you don't want to have to figure things out on the side of the road.  

3 hours ago, troph said:

Well I’m a serious adrenaline junkie so maybe. I still want to race cars so why not a sand dune vehicle for out in Utah?

I told my gf we will go everywhere with this thing if I have my way.

With the kids we are hauling a fair amount of outdoor furniture instead though.

On the truck - it’s a firm no on the tundra. Buddy will loan us his 7.3 or 6.7 ford whichever we want if we don’t find a truck. Right now we *really* want that 01 350 7.3L.

I know more about trucks now than I ever thought I would. One week. Crazy.

You may already be aware, but those 7.3 drink like 15 quarts of oil, so be ready for large oil change bills relative to your 5.7 in the tundra.  Depending on the price of motor oil- don’t know how that fluctuates along with crude. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You may already be aware, but those 7.3 drink like 15 quarts of oil, so be ready for large oil change bills relative to your 5.7 in the tundra.  Depending on the price of motor oil- don’t know how that fluctuates along with crude. 

not aware. thanks.  waiting to hear back on the inspection.  

are we stupid to buy an 01 truck assuming it gets a clean bill of health and we do a road/tow trip tuneup etc.?

As far as the power train, I’d think it would be fine. It’s the plastic parts that are 20 years old that I’d have concerns about, but those shouldn’t leave you stranded. 

one thing my 92 bronco had happen that apparently wasn’t too uncommon for fords of the era was the ignition just quit. Not sure when they fixed that issue or if it was ever an issue on the diesels though. 

it’s also got 2 big batteries that I’d make sure were not old. Don’t know if it takes both to crank that motor but I’m also not sure what it would take to jump it. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

As far as the power train, I’d think it would be fine. It’s the plastic parts that are 20 years old that I’d have concerns about, but those shouldn’t leave you stranded. 

one thing my 92 bronco had happen that apparently wasn’t too uncommon for fords of the era was the ignition just quit. Not sure when they fixed that issue or if it was ever an issue on the diesels though. 

it’s also got 2 big batteries that I’d make sure were not old. Don’t know if it takes both to crank that motor but I’m also not sure what it would take to jump it. 

My 2001 Tahoe had the plastic parts and seats wearing out problems. I can deal with that on a 20 year old truck. I have no worries about that. There’s something kinda bad ass about an old truck that just keeps going not to mention the price.

Troph, basically the engine & hopefully the transmission should be fine, like you said earlier - everything else around them will need to replaced at some point. Suspension parts are probably the biggest & you aren’t going to have the creature comforts of say a truck that is only 5-7 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, troph said:

not aware. thanks.  waiting to hear back on the inspection.  

are we stupid to buy an 01 truck assuming it gets a clean bill of health and we do a road/tow trip tuneup etc.?

All diesels and thirsty little shits.  You can go longer between changes, but still.  Just because the engine wears long in the tooth, doesn't mean all the other stuff isn't wearing out.  Check it all:  breaks/rotors, transmission & gearbox, blinker fluid...the works.

;)

In all seriousness, google issues with the truck. You will find all sorts of things that you can and cannot live with. From purely a spectator perspective, my fil has one and it is over 600k miles and he only drive that despite having several newer vehicles to drive. It is falling apart inside but if you are industrious, they are all weekend fixes. He just doesn't care.

• Like 1

Inspection came back the truck is in great shape. Needs new brakes (25% left), new tuner (that little dash board thing for towing), all systems good, engine and transmission are good, rear diff is clean and the seals are in good shape, shocks, and more. When we asked him if he would be willing to use it to tow a 12000lb load to CO in the mountains he said he would. He said we would need to care for it, and that includes fluids and a cycle of stuff for maintenance - the stuff you can see coming - and have it looked at before each tow to be safe but that this thing could go for a couple hundred more easy. I’m not afraid to spend a few thousand per year to keep it up. It’s $14k not $75k so we are way ahead of the game, and I bet if we keep it up the depreciation is all but over on this one. Can’t see it going below $10k if it’s treated well.

I like new, but the truck took 70mph easy and wasn’t that rough of a drive. Interior was ok and gently used for 20 years. We have some ideas on how to make that work for us. Man just recalling the sound of it starting up with ease and quiet, running still with only the notable sound of a Diesel engine letting you know it has the power. Unassuming truck. Something about an old truck man, sexy as hell. Sexy won’t tow to Colorado unless sexy means a helluva truck. Sounds like we found one.

Gonna put all our road trip and national park stickers on the windows and roll out two hippy Texan chicks in a big ass, old 7.3L with Simon & Garfunkel “Homeward Bound” blaring with the windows down, all the way to the mountains.

Full on cult members.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, troph said:

Inspection came back the truck is in great shape. Needs new brakes (25% left), new tuner (that little dash board thing for towing), all systems good, engine and transmission are good, rear diff is clean and the seals are in good shape, shocks, and more. When we asked him if he would be willing to use it to tow a 12000lb load to CO in the mountains he said he would. He said we would need to care for it, and that includes fluids and a cycle of stuff for maintenance - the stuff you can see coming - and have it looked at before each tow to be safe but that this thing could go for a couple hundred more easy. I’m not afraid to spend a few thousand per year to keep it up. It’s $14k not $75k so we are way ahead of the game, and I bet if we keep it up the depreciation is all but over on this one. Can’t see it going below $10k if it’s treated well.

I like new, but the truck took 70mph easy and wasn’t that rough of a drive. Interior was ok and gently used for 20 years. We have some ideas on how to make that work for us. Man just recalling the sound of it starting up with ease and quiet, running still with only the notable sound of a Diesel engine letting you know it has the power. Unassuming truck. Something about an old truck man, sexy as hell. Sexy won’t tow to Colorado unless sexy means a helluva truck. Sounds like we found one.

Gonna put all our road trip and national park stickers on the windows and roll out two hippy Texan chicks in a big ass, old 7.3L with Simon & Garfunkel “Homeward” bound blaring with the windows down, all the way to the mountains.

Full on cult members.

Have fun storming the castle!

• Like 2