The all encompassing RV thread

troph

We have rope, flashlights, blocks and levelers I’ll edit up top. Started the list half way through the purchase exercise thinking it might be useful.

Rescue rope and thingamabobs great idea.

Fix a flat yes, need that.

Taking bikes remains to be seen if we need the hitch accessory or if we just put in the hauler. But good idea.

I’m taking a Coleman camping lantern. Not a fan of the LED ones maybe they are better than when they first were coming out last time I had one.

I bought twenty mile walkie talkies too and my lady friend was all negatory on them. Told her to knock it off. Might be unnecessary but good clean fun unnecessary or maybe necessary just in a pinch.

And I think I need more knives like out door cut a rope or a bear type knives.

1 hour ago, troph said:

We have rope, flashlights, blocks and levelers I’ll edit up top. Started the list half way through the purchase exercise thinking it might be useful.

Rescue rope and thingamabobs great idea.

Fix a flat yes, need that.

Taking bikes remains to be seen if we need the hitch accessory or if we just put in the hauler. But good idea.

I’m taking a Coleman camping lantern. Not a fan of the LED ones maybe they are better than when they first were coming out last time I had one.

Since you called the carabiners thingamabobs, I’ll get more specific. 
a few autolocks for all purpose use like this:

Rock Exotica Pirate Locking Carabiner - Auto-Lock Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KIR8GK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2lbZEbYBND464

one or two screw locks for even heavier loads, like having to put much of the weight of your truck or camper on it, like this (5600 lb rating, because it’s steel and a screw lock gate)

Climbing Carabiner - UIAA & CE Rated Carabiner Clip | Heavy Duty Locking Carabiner for Climbing, Rigging, Ropes, Hammocks, Camping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTJNGX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0rbZEb525ZWNH

and I use one of these to hold my keys just so I always have one on my person, same as the first one but with an extra wire gate that holds the keyring (supposed to be for belay line) at one end 

DMM Ceros Locksafe Carabiner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X39RXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OwbZEb3MMV87F

auto lock means it locks itself when the gate is closed. The release is triple action lift, turn, pull so its one handed. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Texaus said:

Bear mace instead of a bear knife. I’d add latex gloves. I use them for lots of different purposes, but must have when dealing with the poop line.

Yup good call.  I already kept a box of them in the truck console even before The Coronas.  Also keep a box full of them in the RV bathroom, right next to the "shitter enzyme."

@troph in addition to the RV awning for shade, we always carry at least one EZ-UP (it's actually typically 2 or 3 depending on the destination). Usually place one over the campground picnic table,  and have one or two to take with us down to the beach or river or wherever we're going. If you do this, you'll either want weight plates or some kind of weights that anchor the legs of the EZ Ups.

Also, picnic table cloths and those metal clips that hold them down.  All of that stuff just stays in the RV.

Also, a "gear wagon" for hauling chairs and EZ Ups down to the beach or riverfront.  Like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mac-Sports-Mac-Sports-Colla-PSIble-Folding-Outdoor-Garden-Utility-Wagon-w-Table-Maroon/1002242794?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-sol-_-google-_-pla-_-109-_-sospatiofurniture-_-1002242794-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vT6_efP6QIVgffjBx0ZuAdIEAQYBCABEgLtZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Bear mace is a great idea a bear killing knife is just awesome to carry around in a holster. It’s like owning a machete, everyone should have a sword like utility knife and one that could kill a feral hog you shot and left wounded.

Just a couple thoughts from a state park annual pass holder.  State parks have bathrooms, water, electricity hookups.  So when we use our small camper at a state park we don't use water or propane inside our setup that trip.  It makes it way easy to clean up.  No gray or black water to deal with.  But you do have to know where the bathroom is and make walks over sometimes at random times of the day/night.(we have 2 kids now 12 and 10)  We keep a trash bag for doing dishes and then do them all at once if needed or just wait till we get home.

Prepare some of your meals, before you go and freeze them.  We use coolers with frozen 2 liter bottles in the corners.  If in peak summer we bring a cooler of just frozen 2 liter bottles(filled about 5/6 of the way before freezing). To supplement as the week goes by.  Your long excursion may not work with these ideas but maybe you or someone else can gain utility from them.

Also, we love the use of our awning with a zipper screen all around that connects to it.  It is like having an extra 8' x 20' room.  

We use that room for cooking(all electric) and as an entryway that we put a tarp down as the floor.  Easier to keep dirt/mud out of the main cabin having the outdoor room.  with floor mats before entry to canopy, before entry to cabin, but you still need to sweep it out anyway.

Of course if you go to national parks they don't generally have the power nor the water hookups. 

Looks like you have a sweet setup and are ready for some great adventures to keep the kids entertained through the existing and coming turmoil.

Good luck. 

Edited by zork
traded canopy word for awning
  • Like 1

Dont need it for when you have full hookups but for long trips at sites without hookups, one of the black water tote tanks keeps you from having to unhook the RV if you need to dump.  We typically used it more for grey water at state parks than for black water.  I made a bracket to hold it on the rear bumper but only took it on select trips

Nitrile  gloves and soap/hand sanitizer for handling sewer hose and at dump station.  I always have them in the truck due to work but a set of safety glasses if you have to wrench or beat on something under the frame.  A couple of good LED flashlights and at least one good LED headlamp.  A battery powered LED work light/flood light can also come in handy for side of the road emergencies.    Lots of 1/4" rope for clothes lines, especially when you decide to take your boat and 5th to a different lake. 

One of these kind of jacks for easy tire changes.  Make sure it is strong and tall enough to lift your trailer.

910b7c09cb1109e58a0d01770aaec040.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you wanted to go full setup for rappelling and rescue we could do that too. 

I have a 150' static rope  and a Petzl Tandem pulley and would set up a zipline  with climbing harnesses for the kids.  They had lots of fun with that at a bunch of different places camping.  As an alternative, equipment for a slackline is cheap and right up a bunch of early teenagers alley.

• Like 1

Ok serious business question... I can’t seem to find this fuse on amazon... what am I missing? I searched 12v30a fuse and nada...

6233e1c4ee83650661d4ce5b6ea44b8c.jpg

This looks close to what you need. Might have to pull the existing one and see if other numbers on it to help search or get one of these and see if it fits.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/littelfuse-circuit-breaker-card-30a-0acb030.xp/11498842-p?product_channel=local&store=8054&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=8054&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiqe676HQ6QIVRdbACh3uBAM6EAQYAiABEgIvwvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

11498842_lit_0acb030xp_pri_larg.jpg
  • Like 1

Ton of good stuff in here!!

All over that [mention]davidg [/mention]!!

She wants a slightly more modern cab for the camel tow (just came up with that name for the truck - probs won’t make it to official) so she’s taken to a few projects. First - a back up cam integrated into the rear view mirror.

6589f1cee8b0ef224340e6a8e24834ff.jpg

8688fc5e0eecef73d59984e491118345.jpg

8c0dac7d3e2274e7865b49a5b97da35d.jpg

USB ports and a 120v plug up next.

Front seat needs a new motor and maybe fix the side mirrors - they have power but have to be adjusted by hand right now. Both repairs were known.

I have a 150' static rope  and a Petzl Tandem pulley and would set up a zipline  with climbing harnesses for the kids.  They had lots of fun with that at a bunch of different places camping.  As an alternative, equipment for a slackline is cheap and right up a bunch of early teenagers alley.

Adding slack line for this summer. Dirt bikes and zip lines for next year though. Great, great contribution, thank you!

Question for RV people. Do you like to RV because you are an introvert and prefer your alone time, or do you RV because you are an extrovert and like meeting new people? 

I like the outdoors, I like creature comforts, I like gadgets, and I like road trips. It’s not about people it’s about the intersection of these likes with the people I love.

I like the outdoors, I like creature comforts, I like gadgets, and I like road trips. It’s not about people it’s about the intersection of these likes with the people I love.

Precisely. Real bed, air conditioning, own facilities. It’s camping, without the poors.

I may have missed this mentioned, spare tires. Make sure you have 2 and a good jack. The drive on jack posted above is great but can be an issue on certain terrains. Also a 4 way wrench that is adequately sized for all to change a tire. On a tandem trailer, when you blow one, odds go up that you hit something and blow 2 tires.

Airstreams ftw. We have an Airstream and a larger POS jayco we keep at the ranch. The jayco is used because it is 2x larger and fits the kids better but the quality is so shitty when compared to the Airstream. I know it is like comparing a pinto to a porsche but it is amazing how shitty these trailers can be. We don't travel with it so really it doesn't matter to me so long as it has a good upgraded bed. 

Speaking of beds, does the Puma have nice beds stock? I made it two nights before I was ordering a upgraded memory foam mattress.

• Like 1

We have a spare for the trailer need a Jack still. Bed sucks but it’s supposed to be decent. Felt like sleeping on a piece of plywood. Upgrading this week before CO trip.

Someone needs to build bigger functional trailers with airstream style and I’ll buy. Until then the airstream is like sexy lingerie - it looks nice but isn’t very practical.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

We have a spare for the trailer need a Jack still. Bed sucks but it’s supposed to be decent. Felt like sleeping on a piece of plywood. Upgrading this week before CO trip.

Someone needs to build bigger functional trailers with airstream style and I’ll buy. Until then the airstream is like sexy lingerie - it looks nice but isn’t very practical.

Get a second spare, hell when I go that far, I take two in the truck bed with a third on the trailer. You will never have a flat, but if you dont take them, you will.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

Completely agree with the sentiment, but if it were larger and more functional, it wouldn't have the same style.

Still, you'd think there'd be some happy medium.

In Europe they build some beautiful, modern "caravans" with excellent styling, but that are not based on the airplane fuselage model so they're also more practical.  In general they're still much smaller than American RVs and usually no slide-outs, but there's no reason you couldn't build a stylish, modern RV on a large American chassis with slide-outs.  For the most part, aside from Airstream and a small handful of others, our RVs are clunky and grandma-like in design.  

There are a couple of manufacturers here in the USA that do it, but in Europe it's extremely common.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Practicality is for the birds.

the mamma birds.  though we did consider the large airstream and tents for the kids.  decided it wasn't the best idea.  so the swirls and bastardization of the Hudson River school of American landscapes for us it is.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

America is aesthetically and design, uh... challenged.

Definitely.  I have to think that if there were more of a market for it, then we'd see better design here.  So really, American consumers are to blame.  Yay, us!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

the mamma birds.  though we did consider the large airstream and tents for the kids.  decided it wasn't the best idea.  so the swirls and bastardization of the Hudson River school of American landscapes for us it is.

Swirls and woodland creatures.  Don't forget the woodland creatures... ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Definitely.  I have to think that if there were more of a market for it, then we'd see better design here.  So really, American consumers are to blame.  Yay, us!

Save for the single axle, that euro trailer was awesome.  Curious if the quality is there, or if it just looks really nice.  If the quality is there, I'm sure the price would kill them here.  Thanks for posting tho.

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Save for the single axle, that euro trailer was awesome.  Curious if the quality is there, or if it just looks really nice.  If the quality is there, I'm sure the price would kill them here.  Thanks for posting tho.

Yeah even on longer trailers, they tend to go with a single axle that's placed further forward than we see on American trailers.  They strive for significantly lower tongue weights than we do, which is one reason they're able to tow with smaller vehicles than we do.

Can't speak to their quality, I'm assuming they're extremely expensive because pretty much all consumer goods and luxury goods are more expensive in Europe.  I'd imagine that the pricing would come in similar to Airstreams, if they did the same thing here.  And it's possible that beyond Airstream there just isn't enough of a market for high-priced trailers here in the USA to warrant production.

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Swirls and woodland creatures.  Don't forget the woodland creatures... ;)

I went with the obscure art reference to go along with my puma art.  from Hudson River school of American art (especially American landscapes) to gotdam pumas on a barn of an RV.  oh how the mighty have fallen.

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah even on longer trailers, they tend to go with a single axle that's placed further forward than we see on American trailers.  They strive for significantly lower tongue weights than we do, which is one reason they're able to tow with smaller vehicles than we do.

Can't speak to their quality, I'm assuming they're extremely expensive because pretty much all consumer goods and luxury goods are more expensive in Europe.  I'd imagine that the pricing would come in similar to Airstreams, if they did the same thing here.  And it's possible that beyond Airstream there just isn't enough of a market for high-priced trailers here in the USA to warrant production.

they don't have the same kind of spaces for storage and streets for wide loads I'd imagine and I bet there is an aversion to our love of trucks over there too.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

they don't have the same kind of spaces for storage and streets for wide loads I'd imagine and I bet there is an aversion to our love of trucks over there too.

Yup, all of the above.

One consequence is that, rather than tow them around all over the place, they tend to rent a campsite for the entire season, and tow them once to park for several months, and then tow them once at the end of the season to store them.  Still, their hitching setups are impressive, watching them tow lengthy trailers with small sedans is... something else, I guess. :)

23 hours ago, utee94 said:
That;s a long list of both purchased and yet to be so I might have missed it.

Do you have:
White freshwater RV hose?
Y for water hose (so you can direct one line into RV and still have an open spigot outside for a normal hose)?
Stinky slinky? (aka dump hose)

Extensions for the hoses and power to the RV. Pressure regulators.
Whole RV surge protector and extra fuses.
50 to 30 adaptors or the other way around. Not all sites have both.

I didn’t catch if this was a new trailer or not. If new run the furnace in your drive with everything open for a good 8 hours to burn off manufacturing residuals. Space heater(s) for when at hookups. Why burn your propane when electric is included in your site fee?

Tarp for putting on the ground when wrenching on whatever needs fixing. A change of clothes in a tub in an exterior hatch for when that wrenching is black water related. Include a pair of flip flops at a minimum for when the shoes need to be changed too.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

10 minutes ago, troph said:

string lights made the first draft of the list.  must haves!

I had a few sets of these when I had the Airstream.  

9712.jpg

I sold them with the camper, though, and now I just have some normal round party lights.  I really like the new trailer, but it is not worthy of the Airstream lights.

1 hour ago, troph said:

string lights made the first draft of the list.  must haves!

Those aren't string lights they are individual battery operated lights and you can move them, and clip them, easily with the carabiner style clips on them. It makes them very versatile. Hanging four of them under your awning takes a fraction of the time stringing lights does or let the kids move them all around the campsite or carry them like a flashlight.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I had a few sets of these when I had the Airstream.  

9712.jpg

I sold them with the camper, though, and now I just have some normal round party lights.  I really like the new trailer, but it is not worthy of the Airstream lights.

we have those too. not kidding.

11 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Those aren't string lights they are individual battery operated lights and you can move them, and clip them, easily with the carabiner style clips on them. It makes them very versatile. Hanging four of them under your awning takes a fraction of the time stringing lights does or let the kids move them all around the campsite or carry them like a flashlight.

completely missed that.  those are pretty awesome!