The all encompassing RV thread

troph

Catty 

You know we appreciate y’all helping us out, even if it comes with a side of sarcastic attitude. Besides, I love my new truck. I’ve got tons of truck pron on my camera roll already. Never once took a pic of that tundra.

They make gennys with remote starts for just such occasions.  If you do end up replacing one, might check into that.  

Another kink smoothed out - someone closed the air valve on one of the generators and they struggled - duh. I didn’t know that I had them open. Just now got them humming without tripping the GFCI and the furnace blasting. We gonna get this right. Boondocking competitions in our future I bet.

Truth is once you know it’s not that hard but the learning curve is pretty steep especially when there’s 4 inches of snow and it’s 30 fucking degrees outside. Even when you have the seasonal insulation package which means it leaks air like a screen door in Texas heat or in this case the Colorado summer?

One of the great things about my trailer was that it had the “polar package”. It had a heated and sealed underbelly, double pane windows and upgrades on wall and ceiling r values. It was rated for -10. Don’t see the cold weather models much in tx. All that extra insulation was great for hot summers though

• Like 1

One of the great things about my trailer was that it had the “polar package”. It had a heated and sealed underbelly, double pane windows and upgrades on wall and ceiling r values. It was rated for -10. Don’t see the cold weather models much in tx. All that extra insulation was great for hot summers though

We thought it would be better than it is probably is better than many but it’s still super leaky. About to turn the furnace on one last time before cutting the generators and diving under the blankets. If I knew polar insulation was a thing ...

When are you joining the team and getting back in?

One reason we wanted a camper from Northwood (Nash, Arctic Fox, desert fox lines and others) is the quality of construction. Even more so with older ones.  This one is 28 ft long and dry weight is 4800 lbs, and there’s no slide to add weight. Floor vented heat and ceiling vented a/c. Insulated roof, sides, and underbelly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One reason we wanted a camper from Northwood (Nash, Arctic Fox, desert fox lines and others) is the quality of construction. Even more so with older ones.  This one is 28 ft long and dry weight is 4800 lbs, and there’s no slide to add weight. Floor vented heat and ceiling vented a/c. Insulated roof, sides, and underbelly. 

Ducted floor heat and ducting ceiling A/C was a game-changer, moving on from the vintage Airstream into a modern camper. 

And now it’s all running like a charm. Took 4 nights to work it all out. Packing up and moving to Hotchkiss.

We’ve also decided to leave it here and so we are looking for storage options. I think we will stay close to Florissant because we’ve been here, it’s quick access to mountains from Austin, and we have a few pins dropped for fishing holes with a women owned fly shop that helped me exactly how I needed it yesterday. Boys caught fish I spent time listening to an old fisherwoman tell me how to read water and we practiced our knots together. I’m leaving Colorado a novice but a self sufficient one too.

Would love to come back and learn from her more. Also they have self published guides on where to go for less traveled fishing spots so it seems like we have a nice head start here and some budding friendships. It’s also not bougie even though we kind of are when it comes to amenities we like to hang with salt of the earth folk. Seems more like that here.

[mention]Chewbacca [/mention] and others with CO knowledge happy to hear your thoughts about this area - looks like we are coming back in July alone sans kids for a week and two in August. Probably bring the trailer home if at all in October. Might drop it off in west Texas for October through April.

• Like 1

Hi team .. looks like the wife and I are going to rent an RV for about 10 days in August, to try and get away from the Texas heat. We've got some experience with the technical side of things, as we've borrowed my in-laws bigfoot several times for smaller trips. What I really need are specific destination recs, coming from Austin. Thinking of Taos/Angel Fire area, or possibly pushing on farther north to either southern CSprings (like Manitou Springs maybe), or going SW Colorado Pagosa Springs or Wolf Creek. Would love specific recs for nice/fun/adventurous RV parks, or other fun towns that we maybe haven't thought of in that general distance away from Austin.

We're pretty flexible on time, but the goal is to make the drive in two days, stay for 5 or 6, and make the drive home in two days. KOA outside of Lubbock is the current thinking for the mid-way(ish) point. We want hookups wherever we stay - don't wanna mess with generators if we don't have to.

thanks!

4 hours ago, troph said:

And now it’s all running like a charm. Took 4 nights to work it all out. Packing up and moving to Hotchkiss.

We’ve also decided to leave it here and so we are looking for storage options. I think we will stay close to Florissant because we’ve been here, it’s quick access to mountains from Austin, and we have a few pins dropped for fishing holes with a women owned fly shop that helped me exactly how I needed it yesterday. Boys caught fish I spent time listening to an old fisherwoman tell me how to read water and we practiced our knots together. I’m leaving Colorado a novice but a self sufficient one too.

Would love to come back and learn from her more. Also they have self published guides on where to go for less traveled fishing spots so it seems like we have a nice head start here and some budding friendships. It’s also not bougie even though we kind of are when it comes to amenities we like to hang with salt of the earth folk. Seems more like that here.

[mention]Chewbacca [/mention] and others with CO knowledge happy to hear your thoughts about this area - looks like we are coming back in July alone sans kids for a week and two in August. Probably bring the trailer home if at all in October. Might drop it off in west Texas for October through April.

Why are you going to Hitchkiss?  It gets hot there.  Very different climate from where you are now.  Great fishing nearby (check out the Gunnison River Pleasure Park just outside of town), but it's a hot, dry place.  

What specific area are you looking at?  Just close to Florissant?  Elevenmile Reservoir has great fishing, but not a lot else.  Go a little farther west and you have Buena Vista (one of my favorite mountain towns) and Taylor Park.  Drive up to Tincup from Taylor Park is fun if your truck is 4WD.  Mt. Princeton Hot Springs are just south of BV and are always fun.

Let me know what area you're targeting and I can get you more info.  Been camping in CO my whole life.  Taylor Park is one of my favorite places on earth, though.  

28 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Hi team .. looks like the wife and I are going to rent an RV for about 10 days in August, to try and get away from the Texas heat. We've got some experience with the technical side of things, as we've borrowed my in-laws bigfoot several times for smaller trips. What I really need are specific destination recs, coming from Austin. Thinking of Taos/Angel Fire area, or possibly pushing on farther north to either southern CSprings (like Manitou Springs maybe), or going SW Colorado Pagosa Springs or Wolf Creek. Would love specific recs for nice/fun/adventurous RV parks, or other fun towns that we maybe haven't thought of in that general distance away from Austin.

We're pretty flexible on time, but the goal is to make the drive in two days, stay for 5 or 6, and make the drive home in two days. KOA outside of Lubbock is the current thinking for the mid-way(ish) point. We want hookups wherever we stay - don't wanna mess with generators if we don't have to.

thanks!

SW Colorado is amazing.  Probably my favorite place in the state, just so far from Denver.  Telluride, Ouray, Lake City, Creede, Silverton, Durango are all great.  Can't go wrong with any of them (or all of them).

Why are you going to Hitchkiss?  It gets hot there.  Very different climate from where you are now.  Great fishing nearby (check out the Gunnison River Pleasure Park just outside of town), but it's a hot, dry place.   What specific area are you looking at?  Just close to Florissant?  Elevenmile Reservoir has great fishing, but not a lot else.  Go a little farther west and you have Buena Vista (one of my favorite mountain towns) and Taylor Park.  Drive up to Tincup from Taylor Park is fun if your truck is 4WD.  Mt. Princeton Hot Springs are just south of BV and are always fun.

Let me know what area you're targeting and I can get you more info.  Been camping in CO my whole life.  Taylor Park is one of my favorite places on earth, though.  

Going for the fishing this week.

The reason we found it is we were limited to hipcamp, pet friendly (no leash requirement) and Wifi. We struck out on national and state parks due to COVID and last minute and I didn’t want any KOA / retiree style private camp grounds. Believe it or not we found about 5 options and booked two - one we are leaving now the other near hotchkiss - actually staying on an orchard.

We will have a few days in aspen (just me and the ever patient long suffering girlfriend who puts up with my kids) and I’ll find a stream or two to fish there too. Never been but it’s so far from Austin and a little too posh for my tastes from what I’ve seen but what do I know.

I think we may park it in Florissant after this trip and come back in July and August and fish the S Platte. I just bought a dozen flies from Michelle at Tumbling Trout - she was so helpful. I think after hotchkiss area we are going to base the rest of the summer out of Florissant.

Seems like a good idea ?

You hitting up the Pleasure Park and going upriver?  If not, you should look into it.  Amazing fishing and the views in the Black Canyon are amazing.  Can be a little pricey, but worth it.

Aspen is fun to visit, but it's not my scene either.  They have some great restaurants, but bring the big wallet.  Roaring Fork and Frying Pan both have great fishing.

I've never spent any time in Florissant, just have driven through.  Try and hit the places I mentioned, though.  Gunnison/Crested Butte are great, too.  Just a little farther than BV and Taylor Park.

• Like 1

SW Colorado is amazing.  Probably my favorite place in the state, just so far from Denver.  Telluride, Ouray, Lake City, Creede, Silverton, Durango are all great.  Can't go wrong with any of them (or all of them).

That’s what we are planning for next June. Will be first time ever to go there.
  • Like 1

Well all we know of Colorado is Silverthorne, Breckenridge and now just inside the mountains west of CO springs. We will get a taste of western CO the next few days. Passing through breck now and about to get on 70. Fishing - we’ve only fished the Colorado near Silverthorne and now the S Platte near Florissant. We need quick access this summer as I’ve got plenty of work and need to press the easy button but long term we’d like to check all these places out. Main thing is a friendly place to learn the hobby.

Might try and swing this in August.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

Well all we know of Colorado is Silverthorne, Breckenridge and now just inside the mountains west of CO springs. We will get a taste of western CO the next few days. Passing through breck now and about to get on 70. Fishing - we’ve only fished the Colorado near Silverthorne and now the S Platte near Florissant. We need quick access this summer as I’ve got plenty of work and need to press the easy button but long term we’d like to check all these places out. Main thing is a friendly place to learn the hobby.

You could come up here and try to get the cutt slam. Comes with a nice certificate from the state. 

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-and-Boating/Cutt-Slam

catch all the subspecies of cutthroat trout in their areas. 

You could come up here and try to get the cutt slam. Comes with a nice certificate from the state. 

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-and-Boating/Cutt-Slam
catch all the subspecies of cutthroat trout in their areas. 

That looks super cool. I’ve told the kids we may do WY and MT next summer. Just got off the COVID thread and I think we’re outdoorsing it for a while. Maybe a long while.

10 hours ago, capnamerca said:

thanks!

I would just suggest looking at renting and picking up the rental closer to where your going.  Either save on gas not having to tow an extra 800 miles or not having to pay for extra mileage.  

[mention]Chewbacca [/mention] I can see why you asked why did we come out here. Gunnison County might be our place though. The road of 70 and then SH 133 in Gunnison County...

c4c3b34d181ac0e1593c5c51401a97b3.jpg

bd7b294e53947dbe7fe153f41b2066b7.jpg

We didn’t take pictures but Paonia Reservoir might be one of the most serene, isolated and beautiful lakes I’ve ever seen. We were awe struck.

We landed at Big B’s Juices and Hard Cider - a bohemian, hippy, type orchard, store, wine bar, music venue, etc. the Milky Way is as visible as anywhere I’ve been. And the store has decent WiFi where I can kick back outside on their patio in the beautiful weather and work after fishing up around here. It’s not the most beautiful part of the state but I dunno it’s kinda cool In this little spot. Not many places you can see the Milky Way and take a zoom call.

56d735971dfebc9fe7b5493ac568b230.jpg

b5d3126b7b99e47e6c179afa5dcc58f3.jpg

• Like 1

We fished the Gunnison just south of the canyon. All day float and fish trip. Holy you know what!!!

My son...

29bc9aae8b0c97566ca3cb50f63a6d57.jpg

My gf first trout ever we lost the pic bc she couldn’t hold on...

56d832d626b633d13ee746f5540ed06e.jpg

bb69f0f70bfc8b742183e54ee517e786.jpg

I could not have asked for a better fishing trip. 6-7 rainbows caught on a very hard day. 3 were over 14 inches. Just effing brilliant.

Drinking cider now under the aspens on the orchard’s patio listening to music and chit chatting with locals and visitors drinking some pretty fantastic cider tbqh. Not usually a fan but wow.

I WOULD come back. Especially for the 2-3 day canyon float, fish and camp trip. Nuts.

d882a749462a5cdaa4b04be9639523e7.jpg

1494a791350db439baa7a387ecd514a7.jpg

d97d134969870b5723cee308abd285fc.jpg

a50b72b5ca662c74b5f8665c5fbff710.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, troph said:

We fished the Gunnison just south of the canyon. All day float and fish trip. Holy you know what!!!

My son...

I could not have asked for a better fishing trip. 6-7 rainbows caught on a very hard day. 3 were over 14 inches. Just effing brilliant.

Drinking cider now under the aspens on the orchard’s patio listening to music and chit chatting with locals and visitors drinking some pretty fantastic cider tbqh. Not usually a fan but wow.

I WOULD come back. Especially for the 2-3 day canyon float, fish and camp trip. Nuts.

Damn. You’re L-I-V-I-N.   Keep the posts and pics coming.  Really enjoy these. 

2 hours ago, troph said:

Wow!!!

If one were so inclined, I bet one could make a fun trip from bear lake to driggs to Stanley to coeur d’lane and then over to kalispell, then down through Bozeman and into Yellowstone (or up into Canada and branff). That’s a 3-4 weeker there. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

My son...

Hell yes. Did you do the jet boat up, or did you start the float at the Pleasure Park?

To bad Leroy is dead. You would have enjoyed him.

If one were so inclined, I bet one could make a fun trip from bear lake to driggs to Stanley to coeur d’lane and then over to kalispell, then down through Bozeman and into Yellowstone (or up into Canada and branff). That’s a 3-4 weeker there. 

Noted. We expect pictures from you soon.

Hell yes. Did you do the jet boat up, or did you start the float at the Pleasure Park?

To bad Leroy is dead. You would have enjoyed him.

Jet boated up. We had this booked before you mentioned it and I was crossing my fingers it was the same. When we turned on pleasure park road I knew we were in for a treat. I want to do their 2-3 day canyon camp and float trip.
  • Like 1

Jet boated up. We had this booked before you mentioned it and I was crossing my fingers it was the same. When we turned on pleasure park road I knew we were in for a treat. I want to do their 2-3 day canyon camp and float trip.
That's a special place, for sure. And it's the only reason to go to Hotchkiss.

That's a special place, for sure. And it's the only reason to go to Hotchkiss.

To be clear we are 10 miles East of Hotchkiss. Hotchkiss is a shithole. Which isn’t to say our area is a Colorado postcard either. when we found this orchard I was leery until I read some reviews about how spectacular the Gunnison was. We were late to the rsvps, had plopped down a bunch of cash on a summer of RVing with no place to stay so when we found it we took a chance on an interesting campground and the Gunnison. There really isn’t anything to do here but that. We seriously lucked out.

• Like 1

Took the day off and ended up suffering from some real heat out here. It was the one thing we wanted to avoid so we moved to an RV park in Gunnison about 25 miles from crested butte with full hook ups and WiFi that reaches the campsite so that my kids would stop complaining about heat and no WiFi. My ex comes with her boyfriend tomorrow and she loathes the heat and would probably like full hook ups. Or maybe she would have been fine, she’s a gardener so who knows.

The drive here was spectacular. Pics from the drive:

Blue Mesa Reservoir

95332e5f0dc97a98ca1cafdbf92f348b.jpg

970e5e0632642fc51f82b6003ea5aada.jpg

Pics from the summit on HWY 92:

c3da53700ea619ac7119cad3221bd768.jpg

5a4e45df4602d9567a8472420ddf2a93.jpg

Our campsite ... which is really good for a full hook up private park, but not what I want.

c28c00e4cc22de04020a5cd8175a722e.jpg

0be7c0f1b5e632ae078b411320609c9c.jpg

On the drive over we dropped several pins for boondocking with views from the drive. We are convinced now more than ever that we want to boondock. My kids not so much, but my gf and I yes. We would have stayed where we were if we had our druthers.

• Like 1

Without kids and without the trailer. We tricked it back from Gunnison to Carbondale for a quick bite to eat, then headed to a cabin between Basalt and Aspen. Goals - fish on my own without a guide, meet up with some friends in aspen, and have some sumpin-sumpin time with my lady. Recharge and go get the kids and head back home. Gotta find a storage place out here for coming back. Leaning toward Durango, etc out southwest but maybe we should move north in late summer. Open to ideas. Fly fishing and good weather is my only must.

64d19b4f6e095a11580c3cef738d1206.jpg

We are coming back to do a two day down the black canyon for sure and I want to camp out here in our trailer but get down to the bottom of this reservoir and tent camp some with maybe an inflatable kayak or two and just kick it. Same reservoir as a pic a
above but from this map...

a37502e14cff893aa23fe5836d9ac217.jpg

• Like 1

Without kids and without the trailer. We tricked it back from Gunnison to Carbondale for a quick bite to eat, then headed to a cabin between Basalt and Aspen. Goals - fish on my own without a guide, meet up with some friends in aspen, and have some sumpin-sumpin time with my lady. Recharge and go get the kids and head back home. Gotta find a storage place out here for coming back. Leaning toward Durango, etc out southwest but maybe we should move north in late summer. Open to ideas. Fly fishing and good weather is my only must.
Durango would be a better storage place than Florissant, IMO.
  • Like 1

So a 15 mile drive up frying pan road and then up a gravel road watching temps drop from 53 to 45 in minutes we arrived at a cabin here:

927cbd072aea2ab63463b31d78cdf222.jpg

I remember booking this place and thinking oh there seems to be water around. I had no idea we would 15 miles of picturesque streams to fish. There is a small alpine creek up here you can hear from the porch and while it’s not a short drive we can get to aspen to see a few friends too.

Tomorrow - coffee (ouch we forgot it) then to get a net, some large dry flies (I have some smaller ones and wet flies and nymphs (sp?) anyway. Novice fly fisher going out alone first time probably tomorrow up and down frying pan road near Basalt.

Not an RV right now but we did pass a number of stellar looking camp sites.

Durango would be a better storage place than Florissant, IMO.

If the weather is good in August we will likely head that direction going home and find a spot and store it. It’s pretty much official, we’re Colorado girls at least in the summer. Though she likes to ski so winter to maybe I guess. We still love Lake Travis and want it as our home base but you cannot beat way out here and up in elevation in the summer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, troph said:

So a 15 mile drive up frying pan road and then up a gravel road watching temps drop from 53 to 45 in minutes we arrived at a cabin here:

927cbd072aea2ab63463b31d78cdf222.jpg

I remember booking this place and thinking oh there seems to be water around. I had no idea we would 15 miles of picturesque streams to fish. There is a small alpine creek up here you can hear from the porch and while it’s not a short drive we can get to aspen to see a few friends too.

Tomorrow - coffee (ouch we forgot it) then to get a net, some large dry flies (I have some smaller ones and wet flies and nymphs (sp?) anyway. Novice fly fisher going out alone first time probably tomorrow up and down frying pan road near Basalt.

Not an RV right now but we did pass a number of stellar looking camp sites.

Couple of pro-tips:

() the frying pan is one of the most fished tailwaters in America...the closer you get to the dam, the smarter the fish (and the more people). They have PHDs and can do advanced trig. Super tiny flies, 6-7x tippet, downstream presentations...ugh. If you must fish the Pan below the dam, stay as low as possible near town or the first few miles just above town. 

() stop at frying pan anglers For fly suggestions.

() if I were you, I’d go fish the upper frying pan above ruedi...just continue on the road you took up and go past Meredith, you’ll drive by the river the whole time. Just stop at places and fish then keep driving to another spot you like. There’s no people and It’s beautiful. Based on flows coming out of the dam I’m guessing the water isn’t too high up there (ask the fly shop).

enjoy, some of favorite places on earth are right up around where you are staying.

• Like 2

That’s great to know because while I’ve read up on some advanced presentations and we used them with guides on the gunnison, I’m not ready to do that solo. Dealing with some altitude fatigue and headaches right now (we moved up in elevation really quickly yesterday) but planning to finish my coffee and head to town and will ask exactly what you are saying!

Best advice on this thread to date!! Well except for the advice to upgrade to a tundra.