The all encompassing RV thread

troph

The road between Silverton and Durango isn't that bad. We towed a hybrid trailer up it with a Tundra four years ago and stayed at the campground in Silverton.

I gotta get on the plan this weekend. The other reason we like the remote areas - we suck at planning ahead. Ugh.

I'm not much on taking pics or posting them up, but we'll see if I get around to it.  Honestly technology is the last thing on my mind when I'm camping, and that includes cameras and/or phones.  But my wife usually takes some pictures, maybe she has some that would be good.

The Frio was cold, but running pretty shallow so not as cold as I'd have liked.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

They seem to have closed the reservations for garner.  How long ago did you make those reservations?  I was seriously thinking about renting a pop-up for a few days.

January I think?

Now I believe they're only accepting reservations at state parks for 3 months out?  That's kinda crappy but I get it.

When I was there last week, there was absolutely no availability online, but quite a few empty spots, so I'm assuming they're deliberately holding sites open to keep occupancy down, for social distancing purposes.  It doesn't make any difference in the spots themselves, they're all plenty distant from one another, but I guess it keeps the traffic down for the bath-houses and other amenities.  The general stores, candy shop, ice cream shop, and Garner Grill were all open, but there was no dance, for obvious reasons.

10 hours ago, utee94 said:

You going to Garner SP or somewhere else along the Frio?

We're headed back to Garner this Saturday for another 8 days.  

Nah, Neals.  The families we travel with love it there for whatever reason. Hopefully next year or so we will be doing it from a 5th wheel...

My wife grew up camping with her family at Garner as her father did with his.   Her family would usually spend 2 weeks at Garner and her dad was the type that would hang out at the park hq inline with the other old guys, waiting to see what sites became available that day and trying to get a better site, preferably in the Oakmont near the pavilion.  We haven't actually camped in the park since the early 90's, preferring to stay at other campgrounds, (usually 7 Bluffs) and making one or two day trips during the week into the park to hang out above the dam for the day.   

When my FIL  passed away in 2001, I kept towing the MIL's camper places to camp until I was doing all the work and then sleeping outside in a tent with a fan or paying for a cabin at the same campground.  I finally gave that up and she eventually sold the trailer to my BIL for his work crews to use at out of town worksites.  So we have made an almost annual weeklong trip to the Frio river area and my kids have grown up tubing and swimming in the Frio.  This year was the first year in 5 or 6 that we didn't book a place but we are already looking at a couple of different place to take our new trailer next year. 

My question is which campground area in the park have y'all booked or stayed at?   From our day trips, it seems like the Oakmont area gets really crowded but that is the only area I've ever camped in the park.

Oakmont is the nicest IMO.  More trees, and of course it's the only area that's close to the pavilion, ice cream shop, and grill.  Our kids love the dance, and having to schlep over from other sites is sort of a pain, it's all so much easier to just already be there and walk or ride a bike to the pavilion.  But you definitely encounter a lot more of the day-use folks and it gets crowded.  Less so, now, because they're limiting both camping passes, and day-use passes, for social distancing purposes.  

Last week we spent the week in the Rio Frio loop, which is more remote, less crowded, quieter.  But also fewer trees, less shade, a little more rustic.  And of course since much of what we wanted to do, was around the Pavilion and the dam, we ended up trekking over to Old Garner most of the time anyway.  And the portion of the Frio that's by those loops in New Garner is a lot shallower, and just a trickle in some spots currently.

This coming week we'll be in Oakmont again for the duration.  The online system makes it easier in some ways to get the site you want, because it eliminates all of that hanging around waiting, but also you have to be on your toes to book a site as soon as the system opens up those dates for reservations.  And if you want to extend your visit, and the site you're in is already booked, there's no way to negotiate staying there.  

On 7/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

They seem to have closed the reservations for garner.  How long ago did you make those reservations?  I was seriously thinking about renting a pop-up for a few days.

Looks like reservations are not available online until 9/1  then there are a bunch after Labor Day weekend but can only reserve until 10/14 and nothing after that. 

Edited by davidg

If you really want something at Garner,  check daily or even a few times per day.  There are still reservations coming free occasionally, but they get snatched up quickly.  A week ago my buddy dropped the second half of his next two weeks in Old Garner, so you never know when something might open up.

Need help finding a good RV roof sealant. Has anyone here had any experience with the spray or mop on white sealant. If so did you have good results.

My RV sets in the sun and the roof coating is getting pretty dull and chalky in appearance.

I would like to apply some type of coating before it starts leaking.

Edited by Alex Karev

Talked to our dealer today and our trailer is scheduled to come off the assembly line on Wed. Looking at delivery in the first week of August. Got a mountain of gear piling up in living room ready to be loaded out.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Alex Karev said:

I tried flex seal once and it don't last long. UV Ray's dries it out and it becomes brittle. 

This seems like an interesting choice if there’s currently no leaks to deal with. 

https://hydrostopsupply.com/products/united-coatings™-roof-mate™-top-coat?variant=34930482577566&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpNr4BRDYARIsAADIx9xKFyWWDA9FboHReCBiG7SRcTafhbmmJCqRl8tG13zfv_oC7Zzb-7UaAkajEALw_wcB

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes it does. Thanks a lot. Seems to be exactly what I need. I think I will try it.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:50 PM, Alex Karev said:

Need help finding a good RV roof sealant. Has anyone here had any experience with the spray or mop on white sealant. If so did you have good results.

My RV sets in the sun and the roof coating is getting pretty dull and chalky in appearance.

I would like to apply some type of coating before it starts leaking.

Are you just trying to prevent overall degradation of the roof and not repair existing leaks or cracks?   Something like this?

https://rv-armor.com/

It’s official, getting a tire repaired, the brakes replaced and maybe adding a new and improved tuner to our truck and then heading back to God’s country July 31 - August 12. Had the two batteries, windshield wipers and oil changed. Transmission looks good. Oh we fixed I say we I mean she fixed the driver’s power seat. Actually replaced it. So that’s new. And we have four bad ass double USB ports so we can charge 8 phones in 15 minutes or something. Sat radio hook ups and our vaunted rearview camera. That truck is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me and now it’s all modernized too.

Probably should work more on law stuff or business shit but whatever, kids need more adventure. So we go. No plan other than get back to Gunnison and grab our trailer and move it to the Silverton / Durango area and go from there. National forests or hip camp, we’ll see. Kids want to fish and ATV.

Got replacement generators and fixed a solar panel issue. Should be good to go. Round 2 here we come.

Okay, let’s do it... k95 masks and the whole nine yards. more to come.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

It’s official, getting a tire repaired, the brakes replaced and maybe adding a new and improved tuner to our truck and then heading back to God’s country July 31 - August 12. Had the two batteries, windshield wipers and oil changed. Transmission looks good. Oh we fixed I say we I mean she fixed the driver’s power seat. Actually replaced it. So that’s new. And we have four bad ass double USB ports so we can charge 8 phones in 15 minutes or something. Sat radio hook ups and our vaunted rearview camera. That truck is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me and now it’s all modernized too.

Probably should work more on law stuff or business shit but whatever, kids need more adventure. So we go. No plan other than get back to Gunnison and grab our trailer and move it to the Silverton / Durango area and go from there. National forests or hip camp, we’ll see. Kids want to fish and ATV.

Got replacement generators and fixed a solar panel issue. Should be good to go. Round 2 here we come.

Okay, let’s do it... k95 masks and the whole nine yards. more to come.

All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware. 
- Martin Buber

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware. 
- Martin Buber

totally.  it's an acquired travel skill but once you can just show up and make something happen, it's game on.  one of a handful of circumstances where I feel fully alive and time stands still.

37 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Anyone know what kind of adapter I'd need to connect propane grill from an old pop up (with a quick release fitting) to a regular green little propane canister?

we had some LP issues with connectors.  hard as crap in the field.  take them to ACE and ask for help.  they have an aisle with every conceivable configuration for LP connects.  that's what we did.

• Hook 'Em 1

It doesn't answer your question but those  green 1lb canisters are expensive if you are doing all of your cooking on them.  Look at getting a refillable 5 or 10lb bottle or even a 20lb if you have room.

The issue with the green bottle is you would need an adapter to fit onto the bottle and then a regulaor/hose set up for you the stove.  I guess this would work

https://www.amazon.com/KIBOW-Propane-Adapter-Small-Bottle/dp/B071ZHQVL3   

and then also one of these 

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Foot-57629-Hose-Quick-Connect/dp/B0014JI6R0

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, davidg said:

It doesn't answer your question but those  green 1lb canisters are expensive if you are doing all of your cooking on them.  Look at getting a refillable 5 or 10lb bottle or even a 20lb if you have room.

The issue with the green bottle is you would need an adapter to fit onto the bottle and then a regulaor/hose set up for you the stove.  I guess this would work

Thanks   Haha, yea that's exactly what I need, but shit not for that much.  This wouldn't be for a camper, I was just trying to reuse the grill that came with a camper. 

On 7/23/2020 at 3:20 PM, davidg said:

You can refill 1lbs yourself if you don't have a way(a safe way) to carry larger tanks.  https://www.rei.com/product/113711/flame-king-refillable-propane-cylinder-with-refill-kit-1-lb

Weekender.  Water pic to show clarity, and old hamms ring pull can for fun.  40 miles from home  

68B25C5E-282D-494D-8D93-418970B7C3B2.thumb.jpeg.8abd33b9697b036f045bf86a89cdb602.jpeg
798F25B1-5BAD-41B9-B2D8-8FF326055D6C.thumb.jpeg.c5de8288986e726dad4f7c183175cf67.jpeg
B8E67669-8528-44F7-BA40-3322C21D2E4A.thumb.jpeg.4405108b6c12d077209af41aa4f51b6d.jpeg
105BC05B-ED4F-427B-B574-D05F9EE00B87.thumb.jpeg.9a90aa459024e7ec453bddc315581d91.jpeg
885A2D40-F790-43F1-BE34-E080F78CD44A.thumb.jpeg.192897c914db52d95ec9672e620d888c.jpeg
3A890BB7-0630-497D-864D-7E5AD0601F42.thumb.jpeg.4ab8ef57b77632d5c20fd86f2c07333d.jpeg

That’s doing it RIGHT!!

Carrying the slack where this one here isn’t. Work did a this week, no next week, syke the week after shitshow reschedule on some important stuff and has messed our trip up. Not sure if this month happens but we are going to take at least two before end of October.

I can't wait.  We're looking to get an RV in Sept/Oct.  Suffice to say, you'll probably be reading disaster stories from me after then.

It’s easy. Low expectations, get in the camping frame of mind not the mobile hotel frame of mind and enjoy it. It will slow you down, let it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I can't wait.  We're looking to get an RV in Sept/Oct.  Suffice to say, you'll probably be reading disaster stories from me after then.

have you been shopping? Buying new?  Not a lot of stock on dealer lots right now.   We wanted a few options from what our dealer usually orders and did our deal June 6th. We were supposed to take delivery last Friday but it got hung up in transit so we are picking this coming weekend.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s doing it RIGHT!!

Carrying the slack where this one here isn’t. Work did a this week, no next week, syke the week after shitshow reschedule on some important stuff and has messed our trip up. Not sure if this month happens but we are going to take at least two before end of October.

The fact that it’s in the low 60s/high 50s at night sure helps. Still haven’t bought a genny that can handle the a/c draw, but when the high is 85 and there’s awning shade, plus the nighttime cool down, who cares. 

on the genny front, I go back and forth between buying a cheap 3500 running watt job that weighs 100 lbs that I’d have to load and unload from the pickup bed, and spending some money on a pair of 2k inversion jobs to parallel that are much lighter. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

18 minutes ago, davidg said:

have you been shopping? Buying new?  Not a lot of stock on dealer lots right now.   We wanted a few options from what our dealer usually orders and did our deal June 6th. We were supposed to take delivery last Friday but it got hung up in transit so we are picking this coming weekend.  

We're in research phase.  Prob waiting a couple of months to buy.  Hopefully there will be better inventory by then.  We want new or 2017+.

Our airstream had a crazy power surge or something and it welded the supply power cord to the trailer. This was a sunny day no lightning involved. You could hear buzzing and if you touched the trailer and the pole of the cover/barn at the same time you got shocked to shit. That was fun. Took it in and absolutely nothing is wrong other than the power connection had to be replaced. It is odd that it could surge like that. So I got a new breaker, am I missing anything else that would cause this? I don't know much about electricity, I thought the breaker would prevent more than 35 amps from passing through in a surge condition. School me.

Edited by HOOKEM4