The all encompassing RV thread

troph

On 1/7/2021 at 3:00 AM, JMFP said:

My Intro to Prime Movers professor told us when pulling a trailer to walk around and feel the tires at every stop. If there is a problem it will cause friction and heat and that tire will be hotter than the others. He told us it saved his ass one day on a long trip as he found a bearing going out before it actually failed. So I've been in that habit since I was 18 but now adays I walk around with the temp gun and hit the tires and hubs at every stop.

I put my hands on the tires and hubs at every stop.  If boats have taught me anything over the years, it’s that this 2 min exercise can really save your ass.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just found this thread.  Spending too much time in Lulz.  Anyway, I bought a travel trailer and have it at Fishers of Men RV park in Rockport.  Absolutely love it!  Surrounded by good fishing and there is a rock solid AA group in town.  Good times!

SWCFROG

My parents have a 40 foot class A.  They are in Florida with my uncle and aunt who have a similar sized RV.  My stepdad, who has a ton of common sense and this is really out of character, accidentally added gas instead of diesel.  I am shocked because he usually is very squared away, mechanical, and is type a about caring for his stuff.

Anyway, towing a 40 foot class A is a bastard.  As is finding a place for repairs.  My mom said they had to find a RV shop with two open bays to work on it.  So they are staying in a hotel for a couple days.

25 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Still don't understand why they don't make 2 distinct nozzles. I know they make one smaller but that only protects one side. Make the diesel nozzzle square and eliminate this issue

or a different color or something.   Although I have reached for the blue ethanol free nozzle at bucceess a few times but never actually picked it up.  Maybe its a subconcious thing of seeing the blue colored DEF fill after opening the fuel door and then turning around and reaching for a hose.

Just drain the tank.  He realized it half way into filling it up.  It's weird.  Because he drives a F250 diesel.  So he never fills up anything with gas.
Was it at a BP? Because fuck BP and their bullshit green gas nozzle and black diesel nozzle.

First fill up on my F350 on the way home from picking it up - I didn’t pay attention - didn’t remember what kind of gas I put in it. Went to start it and it wouldn’t start. I completely freaked out.  Thought maybe I put unleaded in it. 60 seconds later I remembered it has a security button on the key and If I don’t press it the starter won’t turn over.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 3:45 PM, davidg said:

or a different color or something.   Although I have reached for the blue ethanol free nozzle at bucceess a few times but never actually picked it up.  Maybe its a subconcious thing of seeing the blue colored DEF fill after opening the fuel door and then turning around and reaching for a hose.

Diesel pump handles are usually green in my experience... 

Sorry if already posted, but any recs on quality customized spare tire covers? Most that I've found online seem kinda cheap. It's for a trailer where it will be exposed to the road. Thanks. 
Maybe shop for something aimed at Jeeps? Or just have one custom made at an upholstry shop?

I'm guessing you want some custom embroiry that says "Layin' Pipe"
  • Hook 'Em 2

Jeep spare covers aren't a bad idea, although in general they'll be made for wheels/tires that are larger than what most RV trailers use.

I just bought a pretty cheap generic one off Amazon, and bought a separate decal off Amazon, and applied it.  It's held up well for 2.5 years.

We took a couple of days off Thursday and Friday and headed out to Garner State Park Thursday morning with the trailer.  Stayed in site 45 in the Oakmont, right next to the pavillion.  I've been going to GSP/Frio river  with my wife and her family for almost 30 years now and this was out first trip during the winter.  Had perfect weather, a great site and really enjoyed ourselves.  Climbed Old Baldy on Friday and then hiked up to the Crystal Cave on Saturday.  Chunked and skipped a bunch of rocks in the river with my son and wished I would have brought some fishing gear.  I've caught some nice bass out of the Frio in my kayak in the summer even with all the people around and I bet you could do really well out of a kayak in the winter.   We will definitely be back again for a winter trip.

On top of Old Baldy

IMG_8397.thumb.JPG.781bbc25dd5783363d9b73f817714bf6.JPG

Painted Rock overlook near Crystal Cave

IMG_3401.thumb.JPG.ee1faf7bcf8d37db0e8d4d15d320d43e.JPG

Tasty bacon-egg-3 pepper-cheeseburger with japs and a non-public consumption Shiner blond

IMG_8404.thumb.JPG.b527661eef89a47c9a255dcfc686fa91.JPG

What you don't want to see when you walk back up to your (not ours) campsite 

IMG_8417.thumb.JPG.0debbbcb35186dd8687eee4a78cac759.JPG

Bonus pic:  This BMF cruised through the campground but I didn't see him set up anythere.  4x4 van conversion with dually rear wheels

IMG_8388.thumb.JPG.c907299e3c38227b2777bec57d4bdb91.JPG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Necro quote but where did that furniture come from? Supplied by the campsite or do you haul it around?

Also: Go Jackets

Light weight aluminum patio furniture from Amazon. We haul it in the toy hauler part of the RV and set it up then drop the queen bunks for kiddos to sleep. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, troph said:

Light weight aluminum patio furniture from Amazon. We haul it in the toy hauler part of the RV and set it up then drop the queen bunks for kiddos to sleep. 

That's such a good way to do it.  That thought never even crossed my mind before I saw you mention in the beginning of the thread.  

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m not sure if I have room (no toy hauler) but I’ll have to find that furniture. It looks like a much better setup than tailgating bag chairs.

I've tried all different kinds of portable camping chairs, and the most comfortable ones I've found so far are these:

https://www.campingworld.com/macsports-club-chair-90248.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIurDJvsKm7gIVhK_ICh1oAQJDEAQYASABEgIf0PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

MacSports Club Chair

However, if I had toy hauler garage space like @troph does, then I'd definitely be interested in some lightweight outdoor furniture.  That's a sweet setup.

Those look nice. I’m partial to those Timber Ridge directors chairs with the little flip up side table. Much sturdier and more comfortable than the bag chairs.

Timber Ridge Directors Chair with Side Table Aluminum Frame Portable Lightweight Folding Camp Chair for Outdoor Camping, Patio, Lawn, Garden, Support 300lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Y3BD41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8SUbGbSK7QPSW

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Those look nice. I’m partial to those Timber Ridge directors chairs with the little flip up side table. Much sturdier and more comfortable than the bag chairs.

Timber Ridge Directors Chair with Side Table Aluminum Frame Portable Lightweight Folding Camp Chair for Outdoor Camping, Patio, Lawn, Garden, Support 300lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078Y3BD41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8SUbGbSK7QPSW

Yeah, those are really sturdy and durable, no doubt.  Pretty much anything is better than the bag chairs, although I do have a handful of cheap Academy bag chairs in the camper too,  for when guests swing by our campsite.

9 minutes ago, davidg said:

We have a couple of the antigravity loungers.  Wife got me this one for Christmas and its very comfortable and the cup holder in the table keep my beverage from spilling.

20111533.thumb.jpg.f1e684ac7b90cbad45252c7eb2445f56.jpg

We have some bag chairs too but will probably toss those and get two of these as over flow chairs this summer.  The way we camp we can toss two of those about 30-40 yards away from our camper on the banks of the river and leave the couch set up for under the tarp over hang.  Would make for an ideal late afternoon lounge nap session with the sound of the river in the background.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, davidg said:

What you don't want to see when you walk back up to your (not ours) campsite 

IMG_8417.thumb.JPG.0debbbcb35186dd8687eee4a78cac759.JPG

In our old bumper pull we've had a fitting bust loose in the bathroom three times(once under the sink and the back of the toilet twice) spraying water everywhere... Luckily all times were at night when we were there. After the first one though I got in the habit of shutting off the water if we were going to be away from the trailer.

how about this for a pivot? 

no to the RV because my gf broke her foot, but we are likely going down to Port Mansfield to spend the weekend on this sucker:

3B86DEEF-EB4C-4BF8-98C2-3143C730FA60.jpeg

friend's father just picked it up and wants us to try it out and tell our friends about it.  The boat is going to spend most of the winter, early spring in FLA then the summer and fall in Texas.  he lives in the valley so port M works best for him for texas.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, Buzzrock said:

PSA: Costco.com has them priced at $90 for a pair.  Amazon wants $65 for one.  I have 4 of them that we use around the firepit.  Very comfortable portable seating.

7 hours ago, troph said:

how about this for a pivot? 

no to the RV because my gf broke her foot, but we are likely going down to Port Mansfield to spend the weekend on this sucker:

3B86DEEF-EB4C-4BF8-98C2-3143C730FA60.jpeg

friend's father just picked it up and wants us to try it out and tell our friends about it.  The boat is going to spend most of the winter, early spring in FLA then the summer and fall in Texas.  he lives in the valley so port M works best for him for texas.

Try it out...you gonna let your gf scratch your anchor?

• 3 weeks later...

Drain the tank, open low point drains for hot and cold water lines,  drain water heater and blow out the lines with air.  In really cold climates they usually pump antifreeze into the lines but depending on where you are, you might not need to do that.

We went back to our farm this past weekend.  Trailer is still in the driveway and I'm gonna drain and blow out the lines tonight before we haul it back but I won't be putting in any antifreeze here in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

if I have the power on, the water heater should be fine right? It would just pretty much run the whole time keeping the water hot. I'm not sure where the drain for it is.
I know where the low point drains are though.

If your heater is dual-mode (gas and electric) and it's switched to electric, then yes, should be okay.

If you ever want to drain it though, the drain for your water heater is on the exterior of the heater itself.  Open up the outer cover on the outside of the RV, and there should be a large plug located toward the bottom.  On my old one it was metal, on my new one it's white nylon or plastic.  It unscrews with a large end wrench or pliers.

Edited by utee94

New RV with AL tanks will typically have the plastic plug.  If it's metal, it might be an anode instead of a plug but you can remove it to drain also.  Hit the pressure relief valve before draining and use teflon tape when putting the plug back in.

I bought a wrench kit that has extra plugs to leave in the trailer just to keep  from having to dig out a socket set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMRRZ94

They video on this link shows how to remove, drain and replace.

Edited by davidg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just hit my storage lot and opened up low point drains, freshwater tank drain, and pulled the plug on the water heater.  

I also always open up every faucet on the RV, it helps vent the lines for draining, and I also once had a cassette inside a faucet crack, because I didn't open it and there must have been a tiny bit of water trapped in there.

Edited by utee94

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Just hit my storage lot and opened up low point drains, freshwater tank drain, and pulled the plug on the water heater.  

I also always open up every faucet on the RV, it helps vent the lines for draining, and I also once had a cassette inside a faucet crack, because I didn't open it and there must have been a tiny bit of water trapped in there.

Did the same last night and used an air quick connector to hose bib to blow out the lines.  Read where someone suggested some rv antifreeze down the drains, in the toilet bowl and the tanks.  Might help a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, davidg said:

Did the same last night and used an air quick connector to hose bib to blow out the lines.  Read where someone suggested some rv antifreeze down the drains, in the toilet bowl and the tanks.  Might help a bit.

It's probably a good idea, but I've never blown out the lines before.  I'm sure that was a lot more important when all the plumbing was copper, but with PEX it's not as much of a concern.  

I guess I'll find out in a few weeks if this particular storm warranted it. :)

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

It's probably a good idea, but I've never blown out the lines before.  I'm sure that was a lot more important when all the plumbing was copper, but with PEX it's not as much of a concern.  

I guess I'll find out in a few weeks if this particular storm warranted it. :)

I'm not too worried about the pex but I'm scared of the fixtures busting.  Here's what I do:

Flush and drain the black tank, drain the grey tanks

Drain the holding tank from the low point, then turn on the water pump and make sure it's pumped itself dry

Take the anode out of the water heater and let it drain, then replace it. (I always shut off the water heater when it's parked even though I keep the power plugged in.)

Hook up the air compressor (regulated to about 40 PSI) to the city water connection - I homemade a connecter with a ball valve on it, I make sure it's closed when I start

I open the closest hot water faucet(bathroom sink) and then open the air valve, then open the cold and shut off the hot, then I work my way through the system to the furthest faucet always having a faucet open while the air pressure is on. 

Pour 1/2 gallon or so of RV antifreeze down each drain to fill the traps

Take out old water heater anode and toss it, replace with a new one, with new teflon tape. 

I dunno if any or all those steps are necessary but in 4 years I haven't had any trouble so far.  Except for one year we went out a little early and had a freeze after our trip, it screwed up the water pump. 

Oh and you water filter is NFG after it freezes, so remember to replace it after a freeze, I would use a new one every spring anyway... 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JMFP said:

I'm not too worried about the pex but I'm scared of the fixtures busting.  Here's what I do:

Flush and drain the black tank, drain the grey tanks

Drain the holding tank from the low point, then turn on the water pump and make sure it's pumped itself dry

Take the anode out of the water heater and let it drain, then replace it. (I always shut off the water heater when it's parked even though I keep the power plugged in.)

Hook up the air compressor (regulated to about 40 PSI) to the city water connection - I homemade a connecter with a ball valve on it, I make sure it's closed when I start

I open the closest hot water faucet(bathroom sink) and then open the air valve, then open the cold and shut off the hot, then I work my way through the system to the furthest faucet always having a faucet open while the air pressure is on. 

Pour 1/2 gallon or so of RV antifreeze down each drain to fill the traps

Take out old water heater anode and toss it, replace with a new one, with new teflon tape. 

I dunno if any or all those steps are necessary but in 4 years I haven't had any trouble so far.  Except for one year we went out a little early and had a freeze after our trip, it screwed up the water pump. 

Oh and you water filter is NFG after it freezes, so remember to replace it after a freeze, I would use a new one every spring anyway... 

Well I've never had any issues after 13 years of RVing in Centex, but I guess the next time could be the first time.

I will say though, that when I renovated my previous trailer which was a vintage Airstream that had spent some time up north, it was really interesting seeing all the creative plumbing "fixes" that previous owners had performed over the decades.  You could see where the copper had swollen and broken, and some of the repairs were made from fresh copper that had been sweated in, some of it was PEX that had been spliced in, some was switched over to sections of galvanized pipe, and there were even a few sections of heater hose with hose clamps.  Really weird stuff.

I ripped it all out and replumbed the entire thing with PEX.  I kept all of the fixtures that were original, including the very cool vintage shower, but had to replace the rear bath faucet because it was a cheap replacement that was broken and leaking. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@JMFP appreciate the walk thru.  I’m going to make an attempt at a day trip down to the lease to get it all blown out.  Unfortunately I’ll be leaving for about 6 weeks immediately after so won’t know if anything got damaged for awhile.  I wish I knew the pipe dia I have under it, I would give it a go at wrapping it up.   We are only getting to 25*, and it’s only supposed to freeze for 4 hours so I hope I can Wx the storm without damage.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm headed to the Ranch in the morning and turn off the water well and drain the lines to the Bunkhouse and RVs as well as Stock tanks.

Not taking any chances with temp predicted near 0.

I have never did this before but I'm getting to damn old to repair a bunch of frozen pipes.

Thanks guys for the reminders.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, fattyflattie said:

@JMFP appreciate the walk thru.  I’m going to make an attempt at a day trip down to the lease to get it all blown out.  Unfortunately I’ll be leaving for about 6 weeks immediately after so won’t know if anything got damaged for awhile.  I wish I knew the pipe dia I have under it, I would give it a go at wrapping it up.   We are only getting to 25*, and it’s only supposed to freeze for 4 hours so I hope I can Wx the storm without damage.  

Where are you because the forecast keeps getting worse. Freezing until Thursday with lows of 13 3 19 20 and 20 the next few days here in Austin.  

Just now, troph said:

Where are you because the forecast keeps getting worse. Freezing until Thursday with lows of 13 3 19 20 and 20 the next few days here in Austin.  

Since then the forecast has worsened.  It was only 3 hours freezing one day, then 2-3 the next.   Now it’s showing mid-teens Monday and Tuesday, but back up into 50’s a few days later. 

Trailer is hanging out in Premont (since deer season) but new project has me traveling so it’s going to stay there a bit longer than I wanted.  I fly back to VA on weds and won’t be back in Texas until April. I’m heading down here in a few hours to blow the lines out, drain heater, and throw some RV antifreeze into the P-traps.  Wife wasnt excited about running antifreeze thru everything so well see where we end up.   Wish me luck. 

50 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Since then the forecast has worsened.  It was only 3 hours freezing one day, then 2-3 the next.   Now it’s showing mid-teens Monday and Tuesday, but back up into 50’s a few days later. 

Trailer is hanging out in Premont (since deer season) but new project has me traveling so it’s going to stay there a bit longer than I wanted.  I fly back to VA on weds and won’t be back in Texas until April. I’m heading down here in a few hours to blow the lines out, drain heater, and throw some RV antifreeze into the P-traps.  Wife wasnt excited about running antifreeze thru everything so well see where we end up.   Wish me luck. 

Propylene glycol is non toxic in smaller quantities.  You wouldn’t want to chug a full glass of it but residual amounts in your lines won’t hurt you.  If you’re like us, your probably don’t drink water from your rv tap anyway.

Edited by davidg

16 minutes ago, davidg said:

Propylene glycol is non toxic in smaller quantities.  You wouldn’t want to chug a full glass of it but residual amounts in your lines won’t hurt you.  If you’re like us, your probably don’t drink water from your rv tap anyway.

I'm aware, and you aren't trying to convince me.