The all encompassing RV thread

troph

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm aware, and you aren't trying to convince me.   

I bet my plumbing that you'll be fine just blowing out the lines. Just don't forget to run the water pump dry after the water tank is drained. It hasn't been above freezing here in 4 or 5 days (this morning it was 7° when I got up) and I'm not worried about mine. 

• Like 1

It’s cold. Rainy. Muddy.  But it’s winterized. 

One thing that’s about to suck.  Previous owner apparently didn’t know about the sacrificial anode in the water heater. It was literally completely gone, and heater full of some crap. So I’ve got to look into that and with my luck with probably be replacing it shortly.  Other than that all seemed to go pretty smoothly.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

WEN generators on sale right now, I just bought one. I figure I should be able to run one air conditioner (when it warms back up) and everything else in the trailer with this one:

https://wenproducts.com/products/wen-56380i-super-quiet-3800-watt-portable-inverter-generator-with-fuel-shut-off

The shitty weather got me to thinking it would be nice to have generator just in case, plus I've been wanting one for the trailer as long as we've had a trailer.  Got to looking around and decided on the WEN above then just happened to find it on sale at the WEN website, took that as a sign I'm supposed to get it :)

• Hook 'Em 2

Has anyone here beefed up the tire/rim size?   I had a blowout on maiden trip down (plan was to change before we bought it back up for spring).  I lucked out that there wasn’t any real damage, but when I stared looking at the loads etc the damn stock tires were pretty close to being maxed out. Started tire search.  The options in 15” are ok (a helluva lot better than 14” (boat ugh)) but you can step it way up in quality brands and specs jumping to 16”.   I have measured and have the room.  I’m a huge believer in trailer tires being replaced every 3 years whether they travel a mile or not, but got caught this time at just under 3 years :( 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Has anyone here beefed up the tire/rim size?   I had a blowout on maiden trip down (plan was to change before we bought it back up for spring).  I lucked out that there wasn’t any real damage, but when I stared looking at the loads etc the damn stock tires were pretty close to being maxed out. Started tire search.  The options in 15” are ok (a helluva lot better than 14” (boat ugh)) but you can step it way up in quality brands and specs jumping to 16”.   I have measured and have the room.  I’m a huge believer in trailer tires being replaced every 3 years whether they travel a mile or not, but got caught this time at just under 3 years :( 

I haven't but there are probably, LITERALLY, hundreds of threads on the various Airstream forums about moving up to 16" wheels so you can move into higher quality tires.

Just now, utee94 said:

I haven't but there are probably, LITERALLY, hundreds of threads on the various Airstream forums about moving up to 16" wheels so you can move into higher quality tires.

Boats are the worst.  Most bay/bass sized boats have 14” tires (on tandem trailers).  Until Goodyear recently brought back their Endurance tire, there wasn’t a single 14” trailer tire worth a shit. That’s why so many bay guys run car tires even though it’s a no no, but at least you could get a good reputable brand.  15” had a few more options, but 16” and you can get 14 ply if you want.  I’m about to move up to 16” on the RV. I know it’s a thing people do, but I trust Surly more than most. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Boats are the worst.  Most bay/bass sized boats have 14” tires (on tandem trailers).  Until Goodyear recently brought back their Endurance tire, there wasn’t a single 14” trailer tire worth a shit. That’s why so many bay guys run car tires even though it’s a no no, but at least you could get a good reputable brand.  15” had a few more options, but 16” and you can get 14 ply if you want.  I’m about to move up to 16” on the RV. I know it’s a thing people do, but I trust Surly more than most. 

For sure, keep us updated on your chronicles.   My current RV that I bought brand-new 2.5 years ago, still has plenty of new-car-smell to it, so I want to take care of it and I'm definitely considering moving up to 16" wheels when I put new tires on it.  Which, to your point, is impending.

What brand of trailer tires do y’all have on you’re RVs? Grand Design puts Westlake radials on their new builds and some sizes don’t have great reputations, usually called China bombs on the GD FB pages and forums.  We have put 2k on them since August and I have considered going ahead and upgrading to Goodyear Endurance in the same size (ST225/75R15 LRE).

I have GY endurance tires on the boat trailer and one of my flatbeds. They are good and I’ve been very happy with them. They sold out last year for a bit.  Apparently the market was very excited to get a solid American made 14/15” tire for the first time in forever.  

Biggest issue I’m finding with jumping to 16” is the lack of rims that fit by hub. There are a few, but not a lot to choose from.  I’ll probably get the order out in the coming days and will post how it goes. 

My Sabre came with Ridgeways but I haven't had enough time yet to have an opinion on them. They seem ok so far.

I used to read the RV forums in Reddit and a few others and I know a lot of people in the RV world stay away from Goodyear alltogether because they say Goodyear covered up a flaw:

https://jalopnik.com/goodyear-knew-of-dangerous-rv-tire-failures-for-over-20-1824997252

4 hours ago, JMFP said:

stay away from Goodyear alltogether because they say Goodyear covered up a flaw:

I'm forgetting the name off the top of my head but they had one branded that was really good and US made, then kept the line but moved manufacturing to china, so the name was ruined.   But I've blown more Carlisles than I care to remember.  When the Endurance came back, people were raving about it, and I wasn't buying another set of Carl's so I gave them a shot.  They've been pretty good so far. 

21 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm forgetting the name off the top of my head but they had one branded that was really good and US made, then kept the line but moved manufacturing to china, so the name was ruined.   But I've blown more Carlisles than I care to remember.  When the Endurance came back, people were raving about it, and I wasn't buying another set of Carl's so I gave them a shot.  They've been pretty good so far. 

I think that was the MArathon.  I read a lot about how the Chinese-produced ones were total garbage.  At some point, I think they were also manufacturing some of them in Canada, and those were said to be better.

I've run Carlisle on my boats and RVs and never had any issues with them, but I still like the idea of moving up to 16" wheels for more options.

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I think that was the MArathon.

Correct. 

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I've run Carlisle on my boats and RVs and never had any issues with them.

They are hit or miss for me.   Last year, I had 12 of them and lost 3.  Replaced 8 with Endurance’s. Will replace the remaining at some point with the same.  None were new, but they weren’t “old” either.  All summer blowouts, 2 on boat, 1 on flatbed.   Not counting cattle trailers because that just isn’t fair(required 1/trip), I think I have had 2 blowouts in the last 20 years.  Will be moving to 15” on the boat next time around. 

I have an odd question.  I have a pop up trailer and I want to mount a 2in hitch receiver on the back bumper.  I’ve found many that clamp onto a 4x4 bumper but this popup has like half a square bumper.   It’s shaped like a [

Anyone know anything that might work?  Is it just a bad idea and that’s why there aren’t any products out there?

the only thing I’ve found is this

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y1CT85P/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

but I’d have to drill some holes to make it work.

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I have an odd question.  I have a pop up trailer and I want to mount a 2in hitch receiver on the back bumper.  I’ve found many that clamp onto a 4x4 bumper but this popup has like half a square bumper.   It’s shaped like a [

Anyone know anything that might work?  Is it just a bad idea and that’s why there aren’t any products out there?

the only thing I’ve found is this

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y1CT85P/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

but I’d have to drill some holes to make it work.

52 minutes ago, baboso said:

How is the bumper mounted to the popup?  Wouldn't do any good to add a receiver to the bumper if it is going to rip the whole bumper off the trailer when you hook another trailer to it.

Oh I definitely wouldn't advise towing another trailer behind a pop-up.

I assumed he wanted it for a bike carrier or hitch-mounted cargo carrier.

Still, I don't have an answer.  The only ones I've ever seen are for 4" square tube bumpers, as well.

Most travel trailer rear bumpers aren’t designed to hold the cantilevered load of a hitch rack with coolers or a bike rack and bikes. Weak spot is typically the welds from the frame to bumper. The dynamic loads from all that offset 2 or 3 feet from the bumper bouncing up and down can rip a less substantial bumper right off the RV.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Most travel trailer rear bumpers aren’t designed to hold the cantilevered load of a hitch rack with coolers or a bike rack and bikes. Weak spot is typically the welds from the frame to bumper. The dynamic loads from all that offset 2 or 3 feet from the bumper bouncing up and down can rip a less substantial bumper right off the RV.

This is all true.  In fact most travel trailer manufacturers specifically advise against it, and will void your warranty if you do it.

Still-- lots of people do it. Lots of people do lots of stuff...

On 3/2/2021 at 6:04 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yea sorry it’s for an bike rack.  It’s welded to the frame. It should Be strong enough since the support for the slide out beds attach to it.  

If it's just bikes, there are some bike racks out there bolt onto the trailer tongue... Yeah it adds some pounds to your hitch weight but if it's a pop up I wouldn't imagine the hitch weight is a whole lot to begin with.

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I’m pulling with a minivan so I’m trying to keep tongue weight down.  I was actually a little worried that 100 lbs of bike way in the back might make it sway.  

I would put bikes on a rack on top of the popup or on top of the minivan if that is the situation. Think Thule or Yalima type,  or a cheap knockoff if need to budget.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Well jumped in head first. Got a travel trailer.  First run ever Rockport goose island state park. 20210308_172450.thumb.jpg.ed69d3c4ea7c1494a04e66028e654a6e.jpg20210308_171643.thumb.jpg.1eafab3b071ecae6eed9a9b6f97a9bd9.jpg

Awesome.  That's one of the first few we want to hit when we get it off the lease.  One of the finest spots on earth is exactly 6.25 miles from where you are parked. 

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Awesome.  That's one of the first few we want to hit when we get it off the lease.  One of the finest spots on earth is exactly 6.25 miles from where you are parked. 

Where is this finest spot you speak of? 🤔

9 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Where is this finest spot you speak of? 🤔

That entire shoreline is great, but Spauldings Bight it one of my favorite places to be.  There are too many people that run over you now (it got much worse wrt people, but much better fishing, after Cedar Bayou was re-opened), but I've pulled some really nice tournament bags out of that little area.  Anywhere from Deadmans pocket to Carlos and you can crush them.  But, deep down in my heart, is the bight.  Where I caught my first 28"+ sow too, 20+ years ago.  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That entire shoreline is great, but Spauldings Bight it one of my favorite places to be.  There are too many people that run over you now (it got much worse wrt people, but much better fishing, after Cedar Bayou was re-opened), but I've pulled some really nice tournament bags out of that little area.  Anywhere from Deadmans pocket to Carlos and you can crush them.  But, deep down in my heart, is the bight.  Where I caught my first 28"+ sow too, 20+ years ago.  

Dang right. 

fd50a70a9fb1edfab16d7e26971e1c67.jpg
All top water. If you follow me on the other threads, you’ll know I typically don’t keep fish, especially reds. But I was fishing with a couple of Catholic guys who feed the entire damn family fish, ha!

Partner caught a solid trout the day before, in practice, of course. C&R’d of course.
a18a1df3b864ed7764a7c0c784bcca7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I haven’t looked too deep but looks like a bunch of campsites at garner opened up.  Might be the benefit of abbots buffoonery(sorry)?

I thought they might.  They've had a bunch "X'd" out, so maybe they're releasing them now?

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I haven’t looked too deep but looks like a bunch of campsites at garner opened up.  Might be the benefit of abbots buffoonery(sorry)?

Yes,  I received an email from TPWD that they were trying fully open all parks.

We have at least one booking a month out till early August and will add in a few boondocking weekends at the farm too.

Edited by davidg