The all encompassing RV thread

troph

Pull your panel and look for
Loose wires. You really need to inspect and re-torque the VAC electrical wiring every year or so in the main panel. Road vibration, screw terminals and solid conductor wires don’t go together very well. I’m probably going to buy a torque screwdriver to ensure I get the terminal to the breaker mfrs specified torque.

It’s a 15 A breaker that is tripping, correct?  Does everything else work when you turn that breaker off?  What loads are on that breaker?  If it is just 120V receptacles, you might need to pull them and take a look.  Most RV receptacles  are designed for shallow/thin walls and use an insulation displacement type of wire connection vs a screw.  They suck and are very prone to loosen.  

ETA:  Kill power to the trailer (and unplug) when you are troubleshooting each receptacle etc, then plug back in to check.

Edited by davidg

I may be crazy... but do you know that the new service was wired properly?  I would absolutely set up the gennie and see if everything works properly?

I am at IB Magee in Port A this weekend and the power went out twice.  Made me rethink about not using my surge protector/ power testing box.  I didn't want to expose it to too much salt air, but made me think more about surges.  I would be pissed if my shit got fried and I have the tool to save me, in the trailer.

It sounds like you yave an intermittent ground on the load side of the main trailet breaker. If it was on the source side (your new wiring to the house) then it should case the breaker at the house to trip too. Probably...

If you heard noise behind the panel then I'd focus on that area... I'm no doctor but I'd turn off the breaker at the house and carefully pull out the panel. Look really close for any burn marks or any bare wire or cuts in the insulation.

Before pulling the panel though you could try pulling all the fuses and tripping all the breakers in the panel and then powering up the trailer. If the main still trips then your problem almost has to be between the load side of the main breaker and the rest of the panel. If it doesn't trip then slowly turn on breakers until it does.

As a last resort, with the main panel out, all the fuses pulled and breakers off except the main, have someone turn the house breaker on while you carefully watch for arcs....

Trailer batteries always have some load on them like the car style dvd player and whatnot and will drain down after a coulple days anyway - in my experience.

Good luck!

The one that was tripping was a 15A branch and he replaced it and it still tripped. He has a loose, shorted wire somewhere in that branch. I would check the terminations at the main panel and then pull every outlet and check them. Some where in that circuit is a intermittent short.

Those statements are dependent on everything else working Ok when the bad circuit breaker is turned off.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:23 AM, davidg said:

The one that was tripping was a 15A branch and he replaced it and it still tripped. He has a loose, shorted wire somewhere in that branch. I would check the terminations at the main panel and then pull every outlet and check them. Some where in that circuit is a intermittent short.

Those statements are dependent on everything else working Ok when the bad circuit breaker is turned off.

I’m befuddled.  Had some time tonight while the guisada cooked down so I went out and messed around some more. 

didnt see any issues behind the panel, assuming it’s no big deal for all the ground wires to be bare copper and bunched together. 

new fun stuff tonight- I could get the fan blowing with all breakers on the decor the bad one. But if I tried to engage the a/c flip the switch on the water heater, the fan would shut down and not want to come back on. No breakers tripped. 

when I engage the faulty 15a it and the 30a main both trip immediately. 

either time or cycling the breakers would get it going again but same thing no result each time. 

never checked outlets with my cheap multimeter but lights all seem to be running on an almost dead battery set as they are flickering and dim. Sometimes don’t work at all. 

anywho, feels like I’m out of my depth here (easy place to get to with electric wiring) so I’ll have a pro investigate, fix, hopefully add the 3 solar panels I have, and maybe educate me a little on how the system works. 

pics since I took em. 

1AD0424B-95DD-45D5-BF0B-21E857E0BE29.jpeg

EBA04051-9B15-4381-B409-94DC752B3746.jpeg

Got back Sunday from camping 8 nights on the Frio River.  We stayed at Andy's on River Road as family had reserved two cabins there.  I tempered my disappointment in staying that far from the water with the fact that one of the cabins was 42 steps from the front door of Andy's new liquor/beer store.  We reserved day passes ahead of time and went into Garner for a couple of the days, did a couple of days tubing on the river and went to the Andy's Gravel bar across from 7 Bluff a couple of days.  The river and beer were cold, the sun was hot, the meals cooked were great and the family companionship after a year of quarantine was enjoyed.  We had a really great time.  I didn't have my phone out much during the trip and noticed that I really didn't take any pictures.  Oh well. 

We bought our camper and truck in early June of last year and took delivery of the camper almost a year ago.  We were running through some stats on the drive home.

Truck: 26250 miles with 3240 towing the trailer

Trailer: 3240 miles (all in Tx), 11 overnight trips, 32 nights sleeping in it.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Well once again the Trailer has been a blessing... of sorts.  Instead of me posting Port Aransas pics (I will later) I am doing day a week just North of Austin at Shady Oaks RV park. Because when I was gone a week in Port A my house had a 3/8 inch high pressure line put some 24,000 gallons of water into my house.  So... uh... sort of sucky.  Anyhow with the dog it was just easier after being gone a week to just change trailer locations.  I will say living in a trailer in Port A is more fun than Cedar Park.

This trailer has saved us during the snowpocolype, and now during the great toilet flood of July 2021 is a great for a transition to what looks like what may be a few months out of the house.

• Hook 'Em 1

The answer to my problem is a faulty converter. All the shore/genny power was deadheading there and overloading. 

the apparent intermittency was its death throes. 

a 15 minute power outage at the house spurred us to sort the rv out swiftly. 

ps used a mobile repair place that we found that services austin. Pretty nice to be able to leave it parked. Trip charge is $65 so not bad. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:52 AM, davidg said:

Got back Sunday from camping 8 nights on the Frio River.  We stayed at Andy's on River Road as family had reserved two cabins there.  I tempered my disappointment in staying that far from the water with the fact that one of the cabins was 42 steps from the front door of Andy's new liquor/beer store.  We reserved day passes ahead of time and went into Garner for a couple of the days, did a couple of days tubing on the river and went to the Andy's Gravel bar across from 7 Bluff a couple of days.  The river and beer were cold, the sun was hot, the meals cooked were great and the family companionship after a year of quarantine was enjoyed.  We had a really great time.  I didn't have my phone out much during the trip and noticed that I really didn't take any pictures.  Oh well. 

We bought our camper and truck in early June of last year and took delivery of the camper almost a year ago.  We were running through some stats on the drive home.

Truck: 26250 miles with 3240 towing the trailer

Trailer: 3240 miles (all in Tx), 11 overnight trips, 32 nights sleeping in it.   

We just got back last week as well. Did a cabin as usual but a few scorpions this year (first time wife has ever dealt with that) means we’ll probably be taking the camper next year.  We are usually at Neals, will have to check out Andy’s.  

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The answer to my problem is a faulty converter. All the shore/genny power was deadheading there and overloading. 

ps used a mobile repair place that we found that services austin. Pretty nice to be able to leave it parked. Trip charge is $65 so not bad. 

So, are you suggesting that a trip to Tosche Station is imminent?

Just got mine back from the dealer on Wednesday, it had been there since June 15th. They had to replace the control panel and fix a leak on the bedroom slide... They said the factory forgot to glue down the inner seal on top of the slide.

As soon as we got home we found the daily break, on the way home we lost the little clippy that holds in the pin in one of the awning supports. I just replaced it today with a bolt and a lock nut.

We got a big trip planned next week, half of wife's family are members of the Tulsa Ski Club and during the summer they take a few RV trips around the state. Next weekend they blocked off a bunch of sites at Tall Chief Cove at Skiatook Lake, west of Tulsa. We're getting there Wednesday and staying til the next Monday. After this week at work I'm really looking forward to some kayaking, campfire cooking, and whiskey.

image.png.a2d3d7e1f8357caa05a9493f0e615a8e.png

57 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Question for y’all - we are about to build and elevated deck to park 2 RVs under. How much width would you need to have 2 RVs be able to use their pop out side by side and be able to handle most?  

I'd go 14' per slot on a budget, 16' for a Surly 1%er. 14' is still a common length.

CHIEF

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I'd go 14' per slot on a budget, 16' for a Surly 1%er. 14' is still a common length.

CHIEF

I’ll tell the wife to go work a corner or something to get us an extra 2’ wide. Going to try to get to 38’, but don’t know if it will make costs, permits, or material get stupid. 

10 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’ll tell the wife to go work a corner or something to get us an extra 2’ wide. Going to try to get to 38’, but don’t know if it will make costs, permits, or material get stupid. 

Here is a quote that I got for a 20x21 to keep from getting hail damage at the lease. It's pretty inexpensive. Not sure how nice, or what your deed restrictions are, but the website is www.americansteelinc.com You can build out one on the site and get a quote.

Carportquote.jpg

CHIEF

Your 1500 is designed and built to pull 6K loads for thousands of miles per year.

It is not designed and built to pull 12K loads for tens of thousands of miles per year.

I will say that if you don't have the specific towing package which typically includes a transmission cooler, then adding an aftermarket transmission cooler is an excellent idea.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 9:30 PM, utee94 said:

Your 1500 is designed and built to pull 6K loads for thousands of miles per year.

It is not designed and built to pull 12K loads for tens of thousands of miles per year.

I will say that if you don't have the specific towing package which typically includes a transmission cooler, then adding an aftermarket transmission cooler is an excellent idea.

The tow package was the one thing I insisted on for my 2020 silverado 1500.  The transmission cooler, dual exhaust and brake controller were necessities for what I wanted to do.  I came close to pulling the trigger on a 250/2500 but just couldn't justify the cost.  Plus I got a fantastic deal, so I'm happy. I especially like the accurate transmission temp gauge, that I like to monitor if I am doing a lot of heavy acceleration or hilly towing.

I think the main thing you would want is the transmission cooler if you are pulling for 1000's of miles a year.  Or cut maybe the transmission maintenance schedule in half as an alternative?

On 8/11/2021 at 8:38 PM, StruggleBus said:

Question: I pull a 24 foot camper that weighs 6.5k loaded. Right now I pull it with a 2018 Sierra half ton, and it pulls fine, but I pull it a lot (thousands of miles this summer alone).

Should I look to buy a bigger truck? Am I basically asking for transmission problems?

I've always been there is "no replacement for displacement" kinda guys. I never bought a 1/2 ton with the 5.4 Triton, or a 5.3 Chevy. They just don't have the rotating mass to pull the trailers I pulled under 2500 rpms. They were always 3000-3500 and in a lower gear. I know its ok to pull at those rpms, but it always sounded like you were gutting the engine. A 1/2 ton with the 6.0 or 6.2 was a different story, but getting those in a 1/2 ton costs more than a base 3/4 ton.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@StruggleBus youll be fine with the 1/2 ton.   If you do enough towing, you’ll know whether it’s worth upgrading to you.  I buy 3/4-tons and up because I used to use my 1/2-tons like one and now that’s just the way it is.  Just keep in mind anything will pull it; stopping it is what’s important.   It never fails for me, I’m going to fight the wind both ways, and having the extra ass is always better than not (to me).  It’s completely a tail wagging the dog issue for me, and that’s even becoming an issue in the newer 3/4-tons that are much lighter than their previous iteration.  

On 8/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, CHIEF said:

5.4 Triton, or a 5.3 Chevy

5.4 was a dog that couldn’t carry the 5.3s jock. It always felt more akin to the 4.8 GM used to build that on paper had something like 15 less HP, but seat of pants was a slug.  But agree, wife has 6.2 in her last few rides and it is a very, very nice motor.  Good power, good reliability, good aftermarket support.  

On 8/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, fattyflattie said:

@StruggleBus youll be fine with the 1/2 ton.   If you do enough towing, you’ll know whether it’s worth upgrading to you.  I buy 3/4-tons and up because I used to use my 1/2-tons like one and now that’s just the way it is.  Just keep in mind anything will pull it; stopping it is what’s important.   It never fails for me, I’m going to fight the wind both ways, and having the extra ass is always better than not (to me).  It’s completely a tail wagging the dog issue for me, and that’s even becoming an issue in the newer 3/4-tons that are much lighter than their previous iteration.  

5.4 was a dog that couldn’t carry the 5.3s jock. It always felt more akin to the 4.8 GM used to build that on paper had something like 15 less HP, but seat of pants was a slug.  But agree, wife has 6.2 in her last few rides and it is a very, very nice motor.  Good power, good reliability, good aftermarket support.  

I think one of the problems is people try to pull their camper the same way they normally drive, meaning they still want to hit 70-75 on the interstate.  In a previous life I pulled a 24fter that was probably 6k fully loaded with an expedition and it was fine.  But I drove Max 65mph and that was on straight dry roads.  Be patient, don’t worry if everyone is passing you up, budget extra time and it’ll all be good.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Which mobile RV service did you use?

On 8/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, fattyflattie said:

I ended up buying a new f250 with the 7.3. Not that I need it all, but I got an itch for a new truck. 

@CoachTex we have the same camper (or similar). Loved it so far.

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

I ended up buying a new f250 with the 7.3. Not that I need it all, but I got an itch for a new truck. 

@CoachTex we have the same camper. Loved it so far.

No shit. Don't see too many of them on the road.  Saw one at Garner a couple weeks ago.  You would be the 3rd. We love the set up. Perfect for the 4 of us. Have definitely used the hell out of the outdoor griddle that came with it.  Solid rig so far.

Took my trailer back to the dealer on Friday and they gave it back to me on Saturday, guy said they figured out the leak and fixed it. The owner's daughter was running the service desk the first time I took it in, in June. I guess she was filling in for the main guy that runs the desk as he didn't have much good to say about the job she did.

Hopefully they got it straightened out this time. Was kinda hoping for some rain this week to test it out but the forecast says no rain, just hot AF.

• 3 weeks later...

Two for one trip for me this weekend. Last night and tomorrow night was in the camper but tonight I'm sleeping in the woods.

Wife and kids are at the Outlet Channel Campground at Elk City Lake in Kansas. It's a CofE campground and super clean and quiet.