The all encompassing RV thread

troph

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think we are going to pass on our trip this weekend. Have reservations Saturday and Sunday night, meaning our only full day is Sunday. Check out Sunday’s forecast 

06D95548-A4F3-441D-825A-4321CBA823F9.png

we've had rain every day and it presents its own problems but 29 degrees and rain?  yeah probably not.  we discussed winter in CO today, that's a firm no-go in a trailer for us.  I don't like my bones to be cold.  29 and rain on the only full day there sounds like nothing but bone cold misery.

Drive to Telluride we decided to recon the state and national park camping spots. We found our first national forest dispersed camp site next time we come up here...

The view from where our patio furniture will be:

c9791240632fca61c9451394d57314c6.jpg

And telluride is a cool little town, more my speed compared to aspen. I know it’s hella expensive but the folks seem more like an old Austin slow, laid back whatever style.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

Drive to Telluride we decided to recon the state and national park camping spots. We found our first national forest dispersed camp site next time we come up here...

And telluride is a cool little town, more my speed compared to aspen. I know it’s hella expensive but the folks seem more like an old Austin slow, laid back whatever style.

My old college roommate from Ft. Lewis College in Durango lives in Telluride. He is a ski instructor in the winter and then he is a "sherpa" and carries people's shit around on hiking trips in the summer. Took me to my first three Grateful Dead concerts in Telluride about 30 years ago. He is always struggling financially, its a very expensive place. He is definitely an "Austin type".

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Telluride is way better than Aspen. Aspen and Vail suck. Telluride, Crested Butte, Ouray and Silverton are awesome. Love me some Durango too.

Had a fantastic meal at the New Sheridan Chop House this time last year.

Telluride is way better than Aspen. Aspen and Vail suck. Telluride, Crested Butte, Ouray and Silverton are awesome. Love me some Durango too.

Had a fantastic meal at the New Sheridan Chop House this time last year.

I think we will start next summer here. We might even sneak up for fall colors in early October.
  • Like 1

Rained everyday this week, last night it rained for hours and then again this morning. Property we stayed on was dirt roads only. And the ingress/egress is an incline. You can imagine what it was like towing 11,000-12,000 lbs. we got stuck. Took another F-350 (V10) to help us out. Two old F-350s to get us out of the mud and up the hill to the state highway. It was a bit of a scene. Driving south on 550 now near Albuquerque. Wish we were still there.

25 minutes ago, troph said:

Forgot to mention while driving through Delores on the way home a guy walking along side the ride in town gave us the double fisted bird and I saw him say “Fuck Texas” as we drove by.

Living rent-free 24/7.

Once upon a time a girl from Colorado expressed to me how much she hated Texans for invading her state and using the mountains for skiing.

She was telling me this during Spring Break at South Padre Island-- Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Living rent-free 24/7.
Once upon a time a girl from Colorado expressed to me how much she hated Texans for invading her state and using the mountains for skiing.
She was telling me this during Spring Break at South Padre Island-- Texas.
Texans reputation in CO is well earned. A significant percentage come here and act like assholes who think they own the place. I'd say probably 10-20% i run into up here are insufferable.

Most are good people, but it's the loudmouth asshats that give you your reputation. And then you have the skiing in jeans...

Which is why I didn’t react.

You wouldn’t know we are from Texas other than my license plate and longhorn sticker. Which is to say we don’t broadcast it directly or indirectly by acting stupid. I dunno, I’m quite appreciative of Coloradans and I think they’ve got something pretty damn special they’re sharing - whether they want to or not. The best of Texans are friendly and unassuming, I’d like to think we act that way in someone else’s state.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Texans reputation in CO is well earned. A significant percentage come here and act like assholes who think they own the place. I'd say probably 10-20% i run into up here are insufferable.

Most are good people, but it's the loudmouth asshats that give you your reputation. And then you have the skiing in jeans...

And Colorado asshole reputations are well deserved as well.  Like this stupid chick.  We can do this all day.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, utee94 said:
And Colorado asshole reputations are well deserved as well.  Like this stupid chick.  We can do this all day.

Feel free to call me out if I'm acting like a prick while visiting your state.

Likewise.

And we can do this all day, like I said.

I like Colorado.  I like skiing there.  I don't wear jeans to do so.  I like hiking there.  I sometimes wear jeans to do so.

I hate bigotry in all forms.  I do my best not to be one.  

I don't call out Colorado folks when they're in Texas, simply for being in Texas.  The example cited by troph was an example of exactly that kind of bigtory, though. 

Edited by utee94

I’m with Chewy on this. Coloradans aren’t vacationing in mass to Texas like Texans are to Colorado and Texans, especially new money from North Texas, deserve the stereotype they are given. I do feel an obligation to combat that stereotype and I think we do it reasonably well. I wasn’t upset by the guy, I actually felt sorry for him and the anger he clearly has toward an entire population. That seems like a miserable way to live.

We talked to another Coloradan that said Californians are worse and he hates what’s happened to boulder and that part of the state - he seemed like a truck driving, gun toting liberal - and said he liked the Texas way a bit more. He also helped us when our truck broke down and was a genuinely good guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m with Chewy on this. Coloradans aren’t vacationing in mass to Texas like Texans are to Colorado and Texans, especially new money from North Texas, deserve the stereotype they are given. I do feel an obligation to combat that stereotype and I think we do it reasonably well. I wasn’t upset by the guy, I actually felt sorry for him and the anger he clearly has toward an entire population. That seems like a miserable way to live.

We talked to another Coloradan that said Californians are worse and he hates what’s happened to boulder and that part of the state - he seemed like a truck driving, gun toting liberal - and said he liked the Texas way a bit more. He also helped us when our truck broke down and was a genuinely good guy.

I'm not with anyone that approves of someone being a blatant dick toward someone else that did nothing to them.  I'm not okay with bigotry in any form it might take.

If you want to apologize for shit you didn't do, that's fine.  I'm respectful and kind to everyone I meet, regardless of where it occurs.  I'm respectful toward people in Colorado when I'm there.  Same for New York.  Same for France.  And I'm respectful to tourists and visitors when they come to Texas as well.

But that doesn't mean I feel any need to put up with dicks treating me like shit based on where I'm from, regardless of how other people from my same general geography have treated them.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

No one is excusing his behavior. But I’m not going to jump some dude’s shit when I’m living the high life and he’s walking on the side of the road in the middle of no where (there’s a reason why Delores doesn’t make anyone’s top 10 mountain town lists).

And actively being kind and deferential in someone else’s state isn’t apologizing for anyone. But yeah I understand why some don’t like us, that’s not a hard thing to get.

I'm not with anyone that approves of someone being a blatant dick toward someone else that did nothing to them.  I'm not okay with bigotry in any form it might take.

If you want to apologize for shit you didn't do, that's fine.  I'm respectful and kind to everyone I meet, regardless of where it occurs.  I'm respectful toward people in Colorado when I'm there.  Same for New York.  Same for France.  And I'm respectful to tourists and visitors when they come to Texas as well.

But that doesn't mean I feel any need to put up with dicks treating me like shit based on where I'm from, regardless of how other people from my same general geography have treated them.  
You might be doing things you don't even realize. Like clogging up mountain passes and not pulling over to let people pass if it's one lane. Wasn't a Texan, but coming over Berthoud Pass on Friday, there was an RV from Kansas that had 23 (I counted) cars lined up behind it as it went down the pass at 30 mph. Speed limit is 45. He never pulled over on one of the many pullouts to let everyone by, he just rode his brakes down the entire pass. And then when it went back to 2 lanes, he stayed in the left lane clogging traffic for another 5 miles.

Flatlanders, by and large, do not know how to drive in the mountains. That tends to make locals cranky.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

No one is excusing his behavior. But I’m not going to jump some dude’s shit when I’m living the high life and he’s walking on the side of the road in the middle of no where (there’s a reason why Delores doesn’t make anyone’s top 10 mountain town lists).

I didn't ask you to "jump his shit."  Not sure how you even could have when you're driving and he's just on the road, feeling miserable and being a dick.

But I also don't see any reason to excuse his behavior as anything other than hate-filled bigotry.  As you pointed out, he likely leads a miserable life.  But he's chosen that for himself.  

Edited by utee94

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You might be doing things you don't even realize. Like clogging up mountain passes and not pulling over to let people pass if it's one lane. Wasn't a Texan, but coming over Berthoud Pass on Friday, there was an RV from Kansas that had 23 (I counted) cars lined up behind it as it went down the pass at 30 mph. Speed limit is 45. He never pulled over on one of the many pullouts to let everyone by, he just rode his brakes down the entire pass. And then when it went back to 2 lanes, he stayed in the left lane clogging traffic for another 5 miles.

Flatlanders, by and large, do not know how to drive in the mountains. That tends to make locals cranky.

I'd certainly pull over in a situation like that, because I'm courteous while driving.

I'd agree that I certainly don't know how to drive in mountains though. Aside from being courteous and respectful, you might have other unwritten rules that I don't know about and couldn't possibly follow.  And if that's reason enough for you to hate me, then your problem isn't me.

Edited by utee94

You’re exhibiting classic and stereotypical Texan behavior here - and I like you - but you’re arguing that folks who have a problem with how we as a class of people behave are the actual problem while we are visiting their home. I think that’s kind of it in a nut shell.

And we pull over when it’s safe to left folks pass. I’d love to know more about mountain driving if there are unwritten rules.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'd certainly pull over in a situation like that, because I'm courteous while driving.
I'd agree that I certainly don't know how to drive in mountains though. Aside from being courteous and respectful, you might have other unwritten rules that I don't know about and couldn't possibly follow.  And if that's reason enough for you to hate me, then your problem isn't me.

Dude, i don't hate anyone. Just pointing out a couple things that irritate locals around here. Riding your brakes coming down the pass is another one. Your car has gears other than D. Use them. Because when you ride your brakes, it forces me to ride my brakes.

3 minutes ago, troph said:

You’re exhibiting classic and stereotypical Texan behavior here - and I like you - but you’re arguing that folks who have a problem with how we as a class of people behave are the actual problem while we are visiting their home. I think that’s kind of it in a nut shell.

And we pull over when it’s safe to left folks pass. I’d love to know more about mountain driving if there are unwritten rules.

I'm really not. You seem to feel the need to apologize for ME now, too, along with other Texans.  Don't.  It's unnecessary.  I don't act "classic and stereotyical Texan" whenever I'm traveling. Nor do I do it in Texas.  I don't treat anyone poorly, unless they've actually done something to me. And even then I'm more likely to move on and ignore them,

But neither will I defend bigotry.  Disliking and dismissing an entire class for the actions of some members of that class is bigotry.  I'd think you-- better than many others--- should be able to understand how wrong that is.

Jesus dude. I’m not apologizing for anyone. This isn’t about me. I have no need to call anyone from Colorado out for being a dick when I’m in their state - unless they personally threaten me in my space. I’m going to drive down the road and be an unassuming visitor. Someone wants to be hateful, that’s on them. But people don’t act like shitstains out of no where and understanding that and being aware of it is actually a half way decent way to live.

Dude, i don't hate anyone. Just pointing out a couple things that irritate locals around here. Riding your brakes coming down the pass is another one. Your car has gears other than D. Use them. Because when you ride your brakes, it forces me to ride my brakes.

Our tuner has a bitching rad decel mode, it’s super awesome.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

That's fine, but there are things that irritate locals everywhere.  People in beach towns don't like tourists for any multitude of reasons.  If you've ever been to a beach as a tourist, then you've likely done things that irritate the locals.  Should you be blasted for it?  Disliked?  Hated? 

You claim you don't "hate" Texans or flatlanders or whatever other derogatory term you might want to use, and that may be true, but the person that flipped of troph for no reason obviously does.  And since that's what started this discussion ,that's what I'm addressing.  You can't tell me that nobody in Colorado "hates" Texans, even if you're asserting you don't.

And I'd never ride my brakes coming down a mountain, that's what the lower gears are for. :)

Edited by utee94

and in other news our tuner made this trip even better. Transmission fluid temp never rose above 170 and engine oil temp stayed between 215-230 with 218-220 being the most stable range. Never popped above 3000 RPMs and we were able to accelerate going up with ease.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Jesus dude. I’m not apologizing for anyone. This isn’t about me. I have no need to call anyone from Colorado out for being a dick when I’m in their state - unless they personally threaten me in my space. I’m going to drive down the road and be an unassuming visitor. Someone wants to be hateful, that’s on them. But people don’t act like shitstains out of no where and understanding that and being aware of it is actually a half way decent way to live.

You're accusing me of being a "classic and stereotypical Texan" and you don't know a thing about my behaviors.

Bottom line, don't  be a dick.  Don't be a bigot.  Regardless of where you're from.  

It's really, really simple.

That's fine, but there are things that irritate locals everywhere.  People in beach towns don't like tourists for any multitude of reasons.  If you've ever been to a beach as a tourist, then you've likely done things that irritate the locals.  Should you be blasted for it?  Disliked?  Hated? 
You claim you don't "hate" Texans or flatlanders or whatever other derogatory term you might want to use, and that may be true, but the person that flipped of troph for no reason obviously does.  And since that's what started this discussion ,that's what I'm addressing.  You can't tell me that nobody in Colorado "hates" Texans, even if you're asserting you don't.
And I'd never ride my brakes coming down a mountain, that's what the lower gears are for.

You've got issues.

Just now, Chewbacca said:
2 minutes ago, utee94 said:
And I'd never ride my brakes coming down a mountain, that's what the lower gears are for. emoji4.png

Read more  

You've got issues.

Eh, likewise I'm sure.

Chewy doesn’t hate Texans he’s helped this one enjoy Colorado this whole summer. Probably the most helpful poster on this thread for where to go and what to do. If anything he’s an honorary Texan with his friendly way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Fixed for the most part.

Related:  yesterday I took the boys down the road to fish for a couple of hours (picture below).  We are there 5 minutes shore fishing when some jackass fishing from a kayak about a hundred feet away starts unloading “motherfucker” every 5 seconds because there is a wasp buzzing him. As if any of that yelling is helpful. Completely ruined a peaceful time for a few minutes. 

A2CECFBC-5286-43B0-8699-35A7D377723C.jpeg

• Like 1

Related:  yesterday I took the boys down the road to fish for a couple of hours (picture below).  We are there 5 minutes shore fishing when some jackass fishing from a kayak about a hundred feet away starts unloading “motherfucker” every 5 seconds because there is a wasp buzzing him. As if any of that yelling is helpful. Completely ruined a peaceful time for a few minutes. 
A2CECFBC-5286-43B0-8699-35A7D377723C.thumb.jpeg.bd36b372e58d922af17a43462569a84e.jpeg
He's probably from Colorado.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I’m not going to get in on the debate, but my personal experience of a Texan visiting Colorado is that the people are much more hostile to Texans in the past 5 years, or so, than ever before.

Grew up going multiple winter/summer trips a year with family to parents vacation home. Now take my family once year for ski trip. You can run into some genuine assholes just because you are from Texas. Weird. The tourism dollars texans(and others) bring to their state kinda is a big deal, if they were smart they would practice some self awareness and maybe campaign to treat visitors a bit nicer. My experience.

• Like 1

I’m not going to get in on the debate, but my personal experience of a Texan visiting Colorado is that the people are much more hostile to Texans in the past 5 years, or so, than ever before.

Grew up going multiple winter/summer trips a year with family to parents vacation home. Now take my family once year for ski trip. You can run into some genuine assholes just because you are from Texas. Weird. The tourism dollars texans(and others) bring to their state kinda is a big deal, if they were smart they would practice some self awareness and maybe campaign to treat visitors a bit nicer. My experience.
Not excusing someone's rude behavior, but 2 points here:

1. There are many people here who rely on tourism, but there are many such as myself who do not. Not everyone needs your money.

2. The "I'm keeping this place afloat with my money" attitude gets real old, real fast. That's part of why Texans get a bad rap. We hear that a lot from you guys.

3 hours ago, troph said:

New money from North Texas?  What the fuck?

Like Dallas area has some monopoly on new money in Texas.  Or Dallas' new money is worse behaved than anyone elses' new money.

If they're from Dallas area, odds are pretty decent they're actually from California or some other place, just like the rest of the big cities.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, Texaus said:

I grew up summering in Pagosa from the late '70s to late '80s. First bathroom graffiti I can remember circa 1980 was;

'Here I sit

buns a flexing 

making another goddamn Texan,'

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Rained everyday this week, last night it rained for hours and then again this morning. Property we stayed on was dirt roads only. And the ingress/egress is an incline. You can imagine what it was like towing 11,000-12,000 lbs. we got stuck. Took another F-350 (V10) to help us out. Two old F-350s to get us out of the mud and up the hill to the state highway. It was a bit of a scene. Driving south on 550 now near Albuquerque. Wish we were still there.
How was the fishing? Any good meals in Telluride?

Hey guys - yes trailer came back just finished unloading the truck and getting my boys ready for school tomorrow.   We have a Marfa trip in September that may be a hotel trip but maybe not - but then an airsteam rally Arkansas in October and as a long time member my gf got an exception to bring a swirl.  So the trailer is in our drive way  because of those two trips and for a make ready this week then we pack it up and be ready to take our tricked out set up to impress in hot springs end of October. This week going to mount the solar panels and work out the low altitude kinks on the generators. Soft starts on the AC and who knows what else. 

we stopped in muleshoe on the way home they have a park like Dumas - overnight and free with a donation drop box. Full hook ups.  Slept well and on the road early this morning pulled in to Lake Travis around 5:30pm.   Dumas and muleshoe are great spots for a stop and go half way depending on which part of CO you want to land in. 

fishing sucked.  We pulled our rods out three times in four days - and walked to the Delores river from our camper - that did not suck.  But it rained everyday and I think the weather was messing with them. Plus I was lazy and didn’t go to the telluride fly shop first.  We decided first day guide every trip from here on out.  I take that as a good lesson.  and with an expectation of going back in October I will not make the same mistake. 

food - we stayed away from civilization this trip - so only one day in town and the only restaurant we ate at was Wood Ear - it was really good.  Limited Covid menu unfortunately.  I had a shrimp tempura rice bowl and buffalo style cauliflower that was the best of that attempt I’ve ever had.  Girlfriend had ramen and it was tasty too.  Definitely on par with any good Austin eatery in fact we claimed it was what Loro wished it was on the cauliflower dish.   It was a nice change of pace.  I’d really like to go back after Covid and just hang in telluride for even a whole summer.  Loved the entire scene.  They were about to start up a live band in the street when we left - but we didn’t stay - had one last attempt at fishing to do before packing up. 

it was a tough trip with the truck break down in Alamosa, arriving late and not knowing where our campsite was, then it rained every day, and we went mudding this morning needing 18 cylinders of 4x4 turbo diesels to get us out of the mud.  But in the end we were still in the mountains, the weather was fantastic compared to this Texas heat and the truth is I’ll take those challenges every day to be up there. 

Shit, the AC just came on in the house and I’m now jonesing for more telluride.  Goddammit. 

but this Is an excellent hobby, all around.  Kick ass summer no Covid exception required.  

tl;dr - way more than you asked for.  

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1