The all encompassing RV thread

troph

21 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I just found this thread. In 3 weeks or so, I'm taking the family on a trip to Mineral Wells SP. We rented a 26 footer tow along via Outdoorsy and I'm a bit nervous since its the largest thing I've ever towed w my Tahoe.

Never owned, driven, or set up a trailer before...what could go wrong?

The good new is that we're going w 2 other families, one of which has their own pop-up so he will help us set everything up.

Are you sure your Tahoe is rated to tow it? I would think so... I would think the 26' would be relatively light but I know some of the Tahoes are only rated in the 6000-6500 lb area but GCVWR is the important number. I'd also strongly consider having a brake controller installed if you don't already have one. Here's a boring video about tow ratings with a handy spreadsheet: https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/.      At 12:36 in that video he explains some of the consequences of being overweight.  Here's a link to Chevrolet VIN decoder that will pull up your specific numbers https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin

Towing is not that hard, backing is a pain in the ass though til you get some practice. Our process is we pull up to our spot and wife gets out and calls me from her phone to my phone that's on bluetooth. She guides me in watching the back and passenger side which leaves me to watch the front of the truck and the driver's side. But here is where you need to have the conversation beforehand about patience and understanding because this is where you get into trouble. She'll tell you to go left and then after you figure out which way is left cause you're all fucking turned around you'll still accidentally turn the wheel the wrong way and then she gets pissed because you're an asshole that doesn't listen... There is a reason this exists.

The first thing I learned about towing a travel trailer is don't ever pull into a place unless you are sure you can get out of it (some gas stations can be tricky). Setting up is no big deal, the only tricky part is getting it level. Just watch some youtube videos and you'll be set especially if you got a buddy that knows what he's doing, but even then the park hosts are usually pretty helpful if you need a hand.

Are you sure your Tahoe is rated to tow it? I would think so... I would think the 26' would be relatively light but I know some of the Tahoes are only rated in the 6000-6500 lb area but GCVWR is the important number. I'd also strongly consider having a brake controller installed if you don't already have one. Here's a boring video about tow ratings with a handy spreadsheet: https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/.      At 12:36 in that video he explains some of the consequences of being overweight.  Here's a link to Chevrolet VIN decoder that will pull up your specific numbers https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin

Towing is not that hard, backing is a pain in the ass though til you get some practice. Our process is we pull up to our spot and wife gets out and calls me from her phone to my phone that's on bluetooth. She guides me in watching the back and passenger side which leaves me to watch the front of the truck and the driver's side. But here is where you need to have the conversation beforehand about patience and understanding because this is where you get into trouble. She'll tell you to go left and then after you figure out which way is left cause you're all fucking turned around you'll still accidentally turn the wheel the wrong way and then she gets pissed because you're an asshole that doesn't listen... There is a reason this exists.
The first thing I learned about towing a travel trailer is don't ever pull into a place unless you are sure you can get out of it (some gas stations can be tricky). Setting up is no big deal, the only tricky part is getting it level. Just watch some youtube videos and you'll be set especially if you got a buddy that knows what he's doing, but even then the park hosts are usually pretty helpful if you need a hand.

I did check. My tahoe is rated to 9000# and the trailer dry wright is 4000.

Backing up is what I'm really nervous about. I'm terrible at it and something this long will just make it worse. Overall, I am still pretty pumped abt it.

The bottom of the steering wheel - if you turn it toward the drivers door the trailer goes that direction. But note the top of the steering wheel in that instance is turning toward the passenger side. That’s how people get all upside down on this. If you turn the bottom of the steering wheel toward the passenger side, the trailer moves that direction. But note the top of the steering wheel is turning toward the driver’s door.

Go slow. Stop, pull forward, reset. It may take 15 tries but so be it. Expect little successes and just don’t wreck it, which is back to the go slow, stop, pull forward reset.

And this pull forward, reset part goes to the very first point that I didn’t make but someone else did - point zero if you will - don’t go where you can’t get out. Make sure you have plenty of room to pull forward where it’s easy. You do not want a jack knife tight spot, you will have some trouble backing in but always, always have an easy route to pull forward and start over.

The first sign of intermediate status is when you start to anticipate the trailer moving. They are easier than fifth wheels but you still turn back to straighten before you’re all the way there so start with trying to anticipate from the get go and you’ll save some learning headaches and mistakes.

Don’t do it in the dark unless you hate yourself like me.

Don’t forget to breathe.

And when you finally succeed, crack open the high life, because you did it.

For basic driving - Know the height of the trailer plus ACs - and if I have to tell you why, then PM wulaw. On gas stations and corners - right turns especially - watch the side mirror and make sure the axles clear the curb or gas station pump islands before thinking you’re clear. Wide turns. Find the end caps at the gas stations and pull around wide. With a trailer you’ll want to use the whole gas station lot which was made that big for you intentionally.

Don’t worry about going slow, folks that want to pass will. Focus on what’s ahead and not behind you.

Break controller for the trailer is a must.

and upgrade that tahoe to a tundra stat.

Edited by troph
  • Like 2

If the other guys in your group have experience backing, let them help or even ask them to do it if you don’t foresee needing the practice.  Otherwise, you could look for pull through spots.  But most campgrounds are designed to make backing in as easy as possible with long run outs and 45 degree entrances off of the road. 
Most group lots are pull through anyhow. 

Longer trailers are actually easier to back than short ones.  A long trailer on a short-wheel-base vehicle like a Tahoe is the best combo.  A short trailer on a long-wheel-base vehicle like an F250 Supercrew longbed, is the worst combo.

Lotta truth here, but the added length behind the axle on our TT is throwing me off. I can back my boat trailer like a champ and put it within an inch of where so want it but I’m finding with the TT that small adjustments are swinging the rear of the trailer bunch. Jammed the awning roll into the door post last time we took it out

8 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Backing up is what I'm really nervous about. I'm terrible at it and something this long will just make it worse. Overall, I am still pretty pumped abt it.

If your trailer is 4K dry theTahoe should be able to do it just fine.  My 26' Airstream was 3800 lbs dry and my Tahoe handled it easily.  Airstreams tow easy for many reasons, but even so, the length and weight of yours shouldn't tax your tow vehicle too much.

14 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Several years ago I took my 24’ hi-lo to mustang island. Problem was we first went down PINS a few miles for the hell of it where someone produced a marijuana cigarette. Trying to back that RV into a space an hour later was comical and embarrassing.

Lay off the ganja before backing

• Hook 'Em 1

I always think of backing a trailer in two steps. Set up the turn, and then execute the turn. To set up the turn you turn the wheel in the opposite direction you want your trailer to go. Back it up until it is pointing where you want to go.. to execute the turn, you ha e to stop and turn your wheel the opposite direction and back up while adjusting it so that the trailer maintains the correct position. If you can't keep the angle from adjusting appropriately, pull foreward a bit and try again. 

On 10/17/2020 at 8:17 AM, Spur08 said:

I'm terrible at it and something this long will just make it worse.

Longer is a good thing.  

The best advice I can give, if you are worried about it, is treat it like docking a boat.  Even if you think you are going slow enough, you can still probably slow a bit more.  In fact, I'd add that same advice for the tow.  Find what's comfortable and safe, and don't get in a rush.   It seems like I have a trailer of some sorts hooked on the truck once a week or so since I was 15, so I rarely think about it.  Except jetskis...fuckers.

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

Longer trailers are actually easier to back than short ones.  A long trailer on a short-wheel-base vehicle like a Tahoe is the best combo.  A short trailer on a long-wheel-base vehicle like an F250 Supercrew longbed, is the worst combo.

Troof.  I'll back up a 100' trailer thru a chick-fila parking lot before I ever hook onto another jetski.  My mind just doesn't work with them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Longer is a good thing.  

The best advice I can give, if you are worried about it, is treat it like docking a boat.  Even if you think you are going slow enough, you can still probably slow a bit more.  In fact, I'd add that same advice for the tow.  Find what's comfortable and safe, and don't get in a rush.   It seems like I have a trailer of some sorts hooked on the truck once a week or so since I was 15, so I rarely think about it.  Except jetskis...fuckers.

Troof.  I'll back up a 100' trailer thru a chick-fila parking lot before I ever hook onto another jetski.  My mind just doesn't work with them.  

Practice on a vacant lot. Dad made us back the boat all over the school parking lot down the street from our house

2 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Practice on a vacant lot. Dad made us back the boat all over the school parking lot down the street from our house 

I’m straight on literally every other trailer up to and including Goldhofers/Broshuis. Got my first boat in high school, and  had an inch on each side of the gate where I kept it, so pretty quick learning curve. Just those little 6’ jet ski trailers used to give me fits years ago.  

10 hours ago, troph said:

Headed here next week... for a pride rally and some boondocking on a private ranch.

9ce6cfd4b1a5da91dae433f8f584fd4c.jpg

Arrive Thursday afternoon, leave Sunday morning. Thinking fishing Friday, football watching Saturday.

That's funny. I was born in Jay and live 35 miles from there now.

What kind of rally? Only kind of "pride rally" I can imagine taking place around here would be for Cherokee pride 🤷‍♂️

Bunch of people from all over the US (but concentrated in the Midwest (St Louis / Chicago) and Texas), usually end up central like NW Arkansas, Missouri, Memphis,TN, etc. with covid we decided to limit available spots and rally at one of the members private land instead of an RV park and that land happens to be near there.

21 minutes ago, troph said:

Bunch of people from all over the US (but concentrated in the Midwest (St Louis / Chicago) and Texas), usually end up central like NW Arkansas, Missouri, Memphis,TN, etc. with covid we decided to limit available spots and rally at one of the members private land instead of an RV park and that land happens to be near there.

Oh, I see.

Only advice I can give on the area is that the Pizza Hut in Jay is the best around and they will put jalapenos on your cheese sticks. You want that. For anything else you'll want to go to Grove.

We don’t have time for Pizza Hut - too many gay agenda secret meetings. And while the lesbians might be tempted the gay boys count calories waaaay to much to convince them a ride into town for the cheese sticks is worth it.

We actually pitch in on most meals, so appetizers and cocktails night one, breakfast taco buffet one morning, pancake buffet for another maybe. Movie out doors on a big screen projector Friday night, karaoke usually late on Saturday. Often an excursion on Saturday we might go to crystal bridges but with covid the group will be more disbursed.

I’m angling for fishing Friday and football Saturday but who knows. Gf thinks the fishing might not be so good. No sweetheart it might not be like the Gunnison or the frying pan.

So we had this happen to our slideout on our new trailer.  Noticed it a few weeks back when we brought it to the house one weekend to go set up a few things inside and go over it to see if there were things we wanted our dealer to look at as we had a 60 day service appointment for the next weekend.    I first noticed it after we had extended the slide and saw the bottom plastic piece that covers the joint pulled from the trim piece with the screws. I thought that it had just pulled out so I pull the trim and fit the plastic back up in there.   We then ran the slideout back in and looked at it inside and saw that  it pulled out again and that this end of the slideout floor was not connected the slideout wall.  Son-of-a-bitch!

At this point we just took it back to the storage shed and waiting till the next weekend to take it to the dealership.   Went in and spoke to our service advisor and when out and showed it to him and he said that even in new trailers, he had seen this before.  We looked closely and there aren't even any screws along that joint holding the floor up into the wall.  The SA said that he figured the assembler at the factory was just blasting along with an automatic screw gun and didn't even pay attention that he ran out of screws.  Don't know if this is BS or not but the SA said he would get his tech to look at it on Monday and let us know how long it would take to fix along with a couple of other minor cosmetic items.   Got a call Monday morning and the SA said the the tech on Saturday didn't have any parts to work on other jobs so he went again and fixed it.   Drilled and shot 5 3" screws up through the floor into the wall, taped and sealed it back up.

So, I'm no so sure about the empty screw gun theory but when we picked up the trailer and ran out the slideout the first time, my wife was concerned about screws or manufacturing debris getting caught up under the slideout floor and scratching or gouging  the trailer floor.  I even brought a thin metal yardstick to swipe under the slideout.  When I tried to use it the first time I was standing next to the end of the slide and noticed that the slide floor was sitting down on the trailer floor without any room at all.  We didn't check the other end, which had about 1/2" of gap, as I was stand by the end that was broken.

Anyway, it looks like it is fixed OK, our dealer took care of us  right away and we didn't have to leave the trailer there for weeks so we are mostly happy.    We have at least one trip a month scheduled out through March and we have been spending a few weekends recently clearing out a space over at our family ranch to do some boondocking down by the lake.  Next month or so of nice camping weather here in Tx.

IMG_8154.thumb.JPG.9cd9ac81d1b6a8f9f039cca357f79169.JPG

IMG_8155.thumb.JPG.260984b3b74a56f087edbecfb55091b5.JPG

IMG_8158.thumb.JPG.1cc641e58060f3af2a9dfe46e572aa18.JPG

IMG_8195.thumb.JPG.4b33f5d1f86c5410c2f81d10420ad8f3.JPG

the dealer taking care of it seems like what really matters.  I cringe on warranty work of any kind.  so many folks don't want to do that.  I had a company once and we did warranty work, I liked it because "it kept the lights on" when OEMs paid but even then they paid shit and when it was our work and our products it was a total profit margin buster but you really have no choice but to do it, do it right, and do it happily. those that don't piss me off.

If you're not getting appropriate service for a warranty you paid for, bang the shit out of that company on social media.  Most of them respond to that pretty quickly.

I hate social media in general, but one thing it has done, is given the customer a voice in the market place.  

OF course, sometimes, it's just dipshit customers that want something free or undeserved.  What are you gonna do?

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If you're not getting appropriate service for a warranty you paid for, bang the shit out of that company on social media.  Most of them respond to that pretty quickly.

I hate social media in general, but one thing it has done, is given the customer a voice in the market place.  

OF course, sometimes, it's just dipshit customers that want something free or undeserved.  What are you gonna do?

No doubt.  Ours is a Grand Design and they have several persons that monitor GD FB groups and GD forums to help people deal with warranty issues.  However, as soon as someone starts talking lawsuit about their problems the company will clam up and divert all communication through lawyers from that point on.

Did you grow up with Tommie Morrison?

My sisters went to school with him, he was closer to their age.

Csb, at the end of my senior year in HS, on the Saturday before Memiorial Day 1996, some buddies and I snuck into into Ugly John's Bar and Grill. Place was packed. We ended up next to a table he was sitting at. This was post aids. I remember he had a used up crack whore on each arm...

On 10/17/2020 at 7:17 AM, Spur08 said:

The longer the trailer, the easier backing up is to control.  I hate backing up short trailers.

So we have come to find out via other RV forums and FB groups that Halloween decorations and passing out candy is a big deal during at a lot of parks and resorts during the month of October.  If you are camping this Halloween season and are going to be passing out some candy to kids that visit your campsite, I suggest using proper social distancing methods.    Not my pic but I wish it was,  I give you the Cousin Eddie ...

1386694477_cousineddiecandydelivery.thumb.jpg.d187124e7a3c75458e8de0485653729f.jpg

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2020 at 11:09 AM, troph said:

the dealer taking care of it seems like what really matters.  I cringe on warranty work of any kind.  so many folks don't want to do that.  I had a company once and we did warranty work, I liked it because "it kept the lights on" when OEMs paid but even then they paid shit and when it was our work and our products it was a total profit margin buster but you really have no choice but to do it, do it right, and do it happily. those that don't piss me off.

The (lack of)service department why we didn't go back to our first RV dealer when we traded in the bumper pull. 

We had a tear in one of our slide seals where it would drag on a window in the slide. It was covered by the extended warranty but there was a $50 deductible and I'd have to take it back to the dealer 60 miles away. I called the dealer to see about just buying 8 feet of replacement seal and they wouldn't do it. They wanted me to buy a 25 foot roll for about $150. Or I could bring it in to have it fixed under warranty and then he acted like that was going to be a pain in their ass. I emailed all the dealers in and around Tulsa and TulsaRV emailed me back asking for my VIN, from that he knew what I needed and had Forest River ship me the 8 feet of slide seal for under $30. So TulsaRV was our first stop when we were shopping for the fifth wheel but their sales office was chaos. 

On 10/19/2020 at 1:14 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Slides I’m sure are nice for the extra room, but I’m leery of them being an expensive repair cost. We see our camper as mostly a mobile bed, bathroom, and storage and expect to be outside most of the time when we are using it, so thus far I’m happy not having one or more of them. 

I'm the opposite, I wouldn't have one without slides I don't think. Or a bunk room until the kids move out... You're right there is some extra maintenance, treating the seals 3-4 times a year and lubing the gears and stuff. But so far I've had no stress over the slides, I worry more about the truck breaking down somewhere. 

Everyone's different, that's why they make a million different RVs.

• Like 1

Everyone's needs and desires are different, but I had a trailer without a slide for 10 years, and I would not ever go back to that.  At least, not until the kids are long gone.

Our new trailer, we've had for two years, has a large slide for the dinette and couch, and it also has a fully separate kids' bunk room.

Although we spend the majority of the time outside the camper, the reality is that due to inclement weather, or other circumstances, we're still sometimes stuck in the trailer for hours, or even days, at a time.  The slide means we have the room to host not only our own family, but our friends as well, for board games, cards, dominos, happy hour, etc.

It's definitely some extra maintenance, but for me, completely worth it. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 2:56 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I see several people here pulling a trailer/5th wheel that has a utv on a 10-12 ft flatbed trailer behind it. I can’t imagine the logistics of making sure you don’t have to back up, and that you have room at gas stations or tight turning parking lots. 60-70 feet with two points of articulation?  I’m sure if you had all the room in the world, and time and patience, you could back that train somewhere. 

I used to pull our 30 ft. fifth wheel, with a 16 foot trailer (hunting Jeep and corn) from Granbury to Aspermont, I would refuel at a truck stop in Cisco  where I didn't have to back up. You could probably get by backing it up 30 feet or so, but I made sure to never get myself in that situation.

CHIEF

56 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

How do y'all handle windy days where you want your awning out, cause you need shade, but the wind keeps bouncing it around?

I'm not a fan of the flimsy auto-extend/retract awnings that are popular these day.  A slight wind or water load and they want to fold up.  The old style that made an actual triangle with the braces seemed a lot stronger.

That said, this what a lot of people on our brand forums recommend.  Don't know how well it works but may get one if we find that we can't put out the awning when we want because of wind.  This one is $110 but you could make some supports pretty easy and just use big tent stakes to hold it down.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08528L363/?coliid=I2Y1RWJ4X0HOYR&colid=1HOMYTC12364Z&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

51fhNVtzFuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I just roll the awning in to the point that it's not flopping around as much, and make do with whatever shade I have.  It's seldom much of a problem, most days where it's super-windy, it's because a storm has come in, which means it's cloudy anyway.

As for rain pooling, just lower one arm slightly and it will drain off.

I made it through two years with a manual awning in the Airstream, and when it completely broke I made it through another eight years with a vintage rope and pole awning.  I much prefer the modern, automatic awning to either one of those.  

Although the vintage awning on the Airstream did LOOK fantastic. :)

I know you're in Texas, but with the fires going right now in CO, that sent a shiver down my spine.

We talked about that. Actually in Oklahoma (sucks), the grass is green, it just rained all day today, and the guy who owns the land is a former fire chief.
  • Like 1

so functionality update.  we are killing it here.  FINALLY have it figured out. 

Generators are humming along, no issues:

- only need one unless we need the microwave.  heater trucking along, Dish/TV working, all outlets working, drip coffee pot
- using two generators when we need the microwave.
- generators never overloaded, handling it perfectly.
- only thing we had to do was flip the electric water heater off - we are using propane to heat the water.

DishTV with the RV/tailgater package is awesome:

- watching football and working while my honey hangs with her friends and their dogs outside (social distancing)
- got my new bill for "next month" and all I have to do is NOT pay and it assumes we aren't traveling and turns access off
- brilliant

Solar Panels are badass:

- she mounted them on the roof with brackets and eternabond for water proofing.
- we had a thunderstorm and rain for hours the first overnight and morning, no leaks.
- now connected to the batteries (we have 3 not one) (sending 200 watts at all times the sun is shining).
- purchased an inverter so if we want we can power laptops and run the DishTV from the batteries.

Outdoor Setup done:

- took a while to make sure the toy hauler/garage was easy to pack and unpack but it's done
- couch set up is assembled and working well (kinda cold this time around)
- had an LP connection issue for our 22 inch Blackstone griddle but it's now connected to the onboard tanks.
- brought an extra TV set up for outdoors too.

Cell Phone Booster is a MUST:

- cell phone booster is so great, we've gone from 1 bar of LTE to full strength LTE because of it.
- highly, highly recommend.

Bedding:

- finally upgraded our bedding - proper blankets for the cold - and we are sleeping like babies.

All in all, we are actually boon docking on this property with no loss in quality of the aspects of the RV we want to use with the exception of a sewer hook up (but our host told us we could dump gray water on his property).

This is the first trip it's all come together and been super easy.  Very happy.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, troph said:

so functionality update.  we are killing it here.  FINALLY have it figured out. 

Generators are humming along, no issues:

- only need one unless we need the microwave.  heater trucking along, Dish/TV working, all outlets working, drip coffee pot
- using two generators when we need the microwave.
- generators never overloaded, handling it perfectly.
- only thing we had to do was flip the electric water heater off - we are using propane to heat the water.

DishTV with the RV/tailgater package is awesome:

- watching football and working while my honey hangs with her friends and their dogs outside (social distancing)
- got my new bill for "next month" and all I have to do is NOT pay and it assumes we aren't traveling and turns access off
- brilliant

Solar Panels are badass:

- she mounted them on the roof with brackets and eternabond for water proofing.
- we had a thunderstorm and rain for hours the first overnight and morning, no leaks.
- now connected to the batteries (we have 3 not one) (sending 200 watts at all times the sun is shining).
- purchased an inverter so if we want we can power laptops and run the DishTV from the batteries.

Outdoor Setup done:

- took a while to make sure the toy hauler/garage was easy to pack and unpack but it's done
- couch set up is assembled and working well (kinda cold this time around)
- had an LP connection issue for our 22 inch Blackstone griddle but it's now connected to the onboard tanks.
- brought an extra TV set up for outdoors too.

Cell Phone Booster is a MUST:

- cell phone booster is so great, we've gone from 1 bar of LTE to full strength LTE because of it.
- highly, highly recommend.

Bedding:

- finally upgraded our bedding - proper blankets for the cold - and we are sleeping like babies.

All in all, we are actually boon docking on this property with no loss in quality of the aspects of the RV we want to use with the exception of a sewer hook up (but our host told us we could dump gray water on his property).

This is the first trip it's all come together and been super easy.  Very happy.

Awesome news, troph.  It takes some time to shake everything down, but once you dial it in, it's great.

I absolutely love boondocking.  My wife and daughter prefer full hookups for obvious reasons, but for me the entire point of an RV is to be self-contained and able to get far away from everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, Cajun said:

Until one of you fuckers gets one of these, I am not entertained...

iu.jpeg

This has been sitting in our HOA storage for over 2 years. Please don't tempt me. If it has an "avocado" colored fridge and shag carpet, I am definitely a buyer.

Stripes-RV.png

CHIEF

• Like 1

^^^^   An EM-50 in the wild, awesome.

Was a great weekend to be camping.  We had a great site overlooking the water.  I didn't do much but sit in a chair enjoying the cool breeze and warm sun, cook on the outdoor kitchen and drink a few beers by the fire.  Had sandhills cranes and white pelicans flying over all weekend long riding the North wind,  the blue moon was amazing and Saturday afternoon had two different groups of military jets come over low and hauling ass.  Shitty cellphone pic but the contrail illuminated by the moon was pretty cool. 

IMG_8207ed.jpg

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1