The all encompassing RV thread

troph

I really wish airstream didn’t discriminate against tall people.  Saw a globetrotter on the road headed south on I-75 as we were rolling toward Miami south of Tallahassee and I saw my girlfriend catching a long stare. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm average height so that's not an issue for me.  But the fundamental problems with Airstreams is lack of storage, and it's an artifact of their cool shape.  Those curved walls cut out so much overhead storage throughout the coach, and tons of low storage at either end.  And although they did produce versions with slides for about ten years back in the early 2000s, they never sold very well.  They were heavier than Airstream owners typically wanted, and they also simply weren't "traditional."

I loved my Airstream, it just wasn't suitable for my family of 4 as the kids started getting bigger.  Someday when the kids are out of the house, I'll probably get another one.  I really love the 22' Caravanner models from the late 50s.  All those windows on the street-side really open it up.

1958 Caravanner 22' - Vintage Airstream

Vintage Camper Trailers For Sale - VINTAGE CAMPER TRAILERS

1958 Airstream Caravanner 22 - Michigan, Chelsea

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, troph said:

I really wish airstream didn’t discriminate against tall people.  Saw a globetrotter on the road headed south on I-75 as we were rolling toward Miami south of Tallahassee and I saw my girlfriend catching a long stare. 

I'm 6'3" and am fine in the Basecamp20.

The back five feet over the rear bed area does curve down.

On 3/16/2021 at 10:09 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Ran 700 miles today much of it at 75mph and the Airstream BC20X was rock solid.

Check your speed rating on your tires, check your hub temps when you make stops and you (probably 😃) will be just fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, davidg said:

I was curious.  Looks like that camper comes standard with  N rated GY Endurance.  Good for 87 mph.

Those are good tires too. Not China bombs (no CR/no racist).    I’m actually pulling the trigger as we speak on an upgrade. Will update thread as soon as I can sit down again. 

20 minutes ago, davidg said:

Our trailer is in the driveway waiting on a 6PM launch.  Had a discussion with the wife last night about upgrading tires for it.  Need about 5 sets of tires for vehicles and trailers over the next 3 or 4 months.

I did that last year.  Boat, lowboy, wife's truck.  Batteries going to be the theme this year.  Boat (x4), camper (x2), my truck (x2).    

I have GY endurance tires on the boat trailer and one of my flatbeds. They are good and I’ve been very happy with them. They sold out last year for a bit.  Apparently the market was very excited to get a solid American made 14/15” tire for the first time in forever.  

Biggest issue I’m finding with jumping to 16” is the lack of rims that fit by hub. There are a few, but not a lot to choose from.  I’ll probably get the order out in the coming days and will post how it goes. 

Pulled the trigger today. Making the move to 16”.
2c9ce25d45c8f6074b001bfb0610ccf7.jpg
5f3409938919b4993efdb679e14a2dd6.jpg

Placed the order tonight. Moving from ST225/75/15 to 235/80/16 GY Endurance’s. Took load from 2830 per to 3420 per. Moving up in tire quality and size makes me feel ALOT more comfortable. For all 5 tire/rim out the door was $1600. Was about $800 for a normal set, so 2x the cost of just a fresh set. But makes me feel better so whatever. Definitely an upgrade over the old steel wagon wheels. About a month or two ago I was driving thru NC and there was an SUV shiny side down with a camper attached. They hadnt gotten the people out yet. Ive decided anything I can do to avoid that the better.

Booked our second trip of the year this evening as well.

Oh yeah, I’m up for an inspection to get my tags right. Anybody have a place on the west side of Houston, by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I did that last year.  Boat, lowboy, wife's truck.  Batteries going to be the theme this year.  Boat (x4), camper (x2), my truck (x2).    

I did trailer batteries (2x 6V golf cart) at Christmas and gonna do new boat batteries in May too. Seems like something always needs a $250-$750 fix.

Booked our second trip of the year this evening as well.

Oh yeah, I’m up for an inspection to get my tags right. Anybody have a place on the west side of Houston, by chance?

We are on our 4th trip of the year and made another reservation this morning so we have 5 trips at parks planned and will probably do a couple of trips to the ranch. Most are just 3 day weekends but we do have a 10 day on the Frio.

6 minutes ago, davidg said:

We are on our 4th trip of the year and made another reservation this morning so we have 5 trips at parks planned and will probably do a couple of trips to the ranch. Most are just 3 day weekends but we do have a 10 day on the Frio.

Man I wish.  But I can't do that, ours stays on lease thru the end of Quail season.  Unfortunately, I haven't been home but a handful of days this year to use it anyhow.  We did book a small weekend trip close to house over Easter, and will be hitting the Guadalupe late in the summer.  Have a few more vacations planned in between, just not camper related.  Kind of easing into it I guess.

8 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Airstream is going have to address how much taller the younger generations are at some point.

Firmly entrenched in middle age - we are barely willing to deal wirh queen beds anymore.  I think we are an outlier but our next RV has to have a king. I love the airstreams but I just don’t see how it’s going to work especially how bitchy I am without a huge bed. 

Welcome us to the fold. We've rented RVs in the past, used my in-laws Bigfoot several times, but just this last week took the plunge ourselves. Found a basically-new Jayco 25bh - perfect layout for our family of four (kids are 10 and 6). Towable with my F150 (3.5L v6 EB with Maxtow), AMAZING condition, and something we've been eyeing for a while. Going to also get it into one of those AirBnB-for-RV programs, to try and make some money back on it. We know the local franchise owners for one of them, and we trust their caretaking (and the insurance is good). Shakedown cruise is to Jellystone Park In Kerrville weekend of April 9th. Can't wait!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, fluff said:

Capn’ I am jealous!

To piggyback, I have 2 young boys and looking for our first RV. Would like to start with a travel trailer similar to one of the Jayco bunkhouse models.

Any thoughts from any of you afficianados?

Do it.  My kids love it.  Last spring when the lockdowns first hit and all the parks were still closed, my kids still begged me to go camping, so I parked the travel trailer alongside my house  (corner lot), and we camped right there.  Brought out the Weber, cooked steaks, roasted s'mores, the whole deal. We actually did that twice.

Ours is a BH model with a fully separate rear bunk room for the kids-- that space can sleep 5 and it's entirely their own.  I love this floorplan.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Prime-Time-Rv-Avenger-29RBS-5014236656

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

Thanks! One question, I have a Z-71 suburban, where can I figure out what that truck will most comfortably pull? I don’t want to go with anything too big that will completely tax it, but definitely don’t want something that is too small...

54 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Ours is a BH model with a fully separate rear bunk room for the kids-- that space can sleep 5 and it's entirely their own.  I love this floorplan.

This is the only answer with young ones. They have their own room that’s all theirs.  Keeps us from disturbing them coming in and out at night if we stay up a bit later.  Plenty of room for them to space out on the floor for games etc.   

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, fluff said:

Thanks! One question, I have a Z-71 suburban, where can I figure out what that truck will most comfortably pull? I don’t want to go with anything too big that will completely tax it, but definitely don’t want something that is too small...

Depending on model year, which engine, 4wd or no, and max trailering package or no, I believe Suburbans can tow between 6,000 and 8,300 lbs.  Unless it's a REALLY old one from back when they made a 3/4 ton Suburban, but that's been maybe close to two decades at this point.

When looking at a trailer, keep in mind that only the dry weight is listed, so  when it's fully wet and loaded for camping, it'll weigh significantly more. 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, fattyflattie said:

Man I wish.  But I can't do that, ours stays on lease thru the end of Quail season.  Unfortunately, I haven't been home but a handful of days this year to use it anyhow.  We did book a small weekend trip close to house over Easter, and will be hitting the Guadalupe late in the summer.  Have a few more vacations planned in between, just not camper related.  Kind of easing into it I guess.

We are having a hard time with it outside our summer mountain trips. We are planning those but Texas has been harder. We did the coast once and going back in April. Other than that most places we like aren’t that far for day trips. I guess it is what it is, maybe west Texas camping but honestly l love basing out of a Marfa Airbnb instead.  thinking about storing ours in CO after this summer actually.  We love camping up there.

Actual GVWR if your trailer is typically less an issue for trucks these days as is the vehicle cargo capacity. Go look on the sticker in your door jam. It will tell you a weight that the occupants and cargo isn’t to exceed.

Take this weight, subtract how much you and your family weigh, subtract any extra cargo (bikes, coolers, grills firewood, etc) that may be in the bed and the result is the max tongue weight.

Now compare this weight to the listed tongue weight of the trailers you are looking at, realizing published tongue weights in brochures are usually dry weights a good bit lower than actual loaded weight. 12% of trailer GVWR is probably a better number.

As an example, we bought a Grand Design 2800BH last summer. It’s published tongue weight is 604lb, dry weight is 6400lbs and GVWR is 8000lbs. My actual loaded tongue weight measured on scales was 1080lbs. I bought a Ram 2500 4x4 diesel with a 2380lb load capacity. With a 4 adults, a camper top and a bed full of gear I’m right at the published weight rating for my truck but my truck exceed the weight of the trailer and tows and tracks

Spend some time reading and learn about vehicle and trailer weights, weight distributing hitches etc and take what the dealer guys tell you with a grain of salt regarding whether your vehicle is suitable or not. Pretty much when you pull out of the dealership you will be on your own.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, fluff said:

One of the biggest things to consider beyond just pure towing capacity is windage. I have a 295 jayco that is something like 33' total. Towing with an F150 max tow 6.5' bed, the truck easily pulls it, but the tail sure as shit would wag the dog at times. It is just not something I felt safe with all my family in. I went to an F250 and the difference is night and day. Trailer is in control and feels much safer to tow. Both trucks were rated to tow the same but one is safe and one is sketchy. 

If you can find someone with a similar setup as you are thinking of and get their honest opinion, that would be best. Can tow and want to tow long distances in varying conditions are two completely different things. Once you get into the bigger end of the bumper pull trailers, I would personally not tow with less than a 3/4 ton.

1000% get the baddest anti-sway control bar they make. 

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

One of the biggest things to consider beyond just pure towing capacity is windage. I have a 295 jayco that is something like 33' total. Towing with an F150 max tow 6.5' bed, the truck easily pulls it, but the tail sure as shit would wag the dog at times. It is just not something I felt safe with all my family in. I went to an F250 and the difference is night and day. Trailer is in control and feels much safer to tow. Both trucks were rated to tow the same but one is safe and one is sketchy. 

If you can find someone with a similar setup as you are thinking of and get their honest opinion, that would be best. Can tow and want to tow long distances in varying conditions are two completely different things. Once you get into the bigger end of the bumper pull trailers, I would personally not tow with less than a 3/4 ton.

1000% get the baddest anti-sway control bar they make. 

Eh, my F150 pulls my Avenger 29BHS perfectly.  No worries at all about being pulled around by the tail end.

But yes, you should definitely have a quality weight-distribution hitch and anti-sway setup.  That's true on any tow vehicle pulling a large travel trailer.

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Once you get into the bigger end of the bumper pull trailers, I would personally not tow with less than a 3/4 ton.

Our 35’ bumper pull squats the fuck out of my diesel 3/4-ton.  It pulls it fine, and the truck is old and been hauled with a lot so the rear springs are definitely not new. But it definitely sits her down. 

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Eh, my F150 pulls my Avenger 29BHS perfectly.  No worries at all about being pulled around by the tail end.

But yes, you should definitely have a quality weight-distribution hitch and anti-sway setup.  That's true on any tow vehicle pulling a large travel trailer.

Serious question. Have you driven in 30+ mph cross winds. Be honest. I have done it several times and it isnt a walk in the park in a 1/2 ton. Is it doable, yes, is it the safest thing with your two kids and wife in a fully loaded up truck?? I vote no.. We aren't in a pissing match, we are in a solid info for a prospective buyer. I don't want them getting in over their skiis. ...

Edited by HOOKEM4

Appreciate all of the info, definitely some good considerations. Will run all the numbers with my truck and the prospective travel trailers I am looking at and see how they shake out.  

I really hate towing shit, so probably have white knuckles and a grumpy attitude no matter what, but other than buying a class C or something I don’t know of any reasonable alternatives?

I assume you guys that tow get more comfortable towing over time?

7 minutes ago, fluff said:

Appreciate all of the info, definitely some good considerations. Will run all the numbers with my truck and the prospective travel trailers I am looking at and see how they shake out.  

I really hate towing shit, so probably have white knuckles and a grumpy attitude no matter what, but other than buying a class C or something I don’t know of any reasonable alternatives?

Yes, like most things, the more you do something the more experienced you get. Doesn’t necessarily you are “comfortable” with it. Maybe a better word is more confident in knowing what to expect.

My suggest would be to join FB groups or manufacturer forums for the trailers you are looking at and read about what people with the models you are looking at are towing with and how well that is working for them.

We did that in the week between when we first looked at the brand we bought and when when made our purchase. Our trailer model was pretty much on the dividing line between those using half and 3/4 tow vehicles. Lots of buyers of our trailer started with a 1/2 ton after a sales guy said they would be fine and then moved up to a 3/4 ton after a few white knuckle trips.

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Serious question. Have you driven in 30+ mph cross winds. Be honest. I have done it several times and it isnt a walk in the park in a 1/2 ton. Is it doable, yes, is it the safest thing with your two kids and wife in a fully loaded up truck?? I vote no.. We aren't in a pissing match, we are in a solid info for a prospective buyer. I don't want them getting in over their skiis. ...

I have.  Several trips on I10 between 290 and Fort Stockton, it gets very windy out there.

Wife and 2 kids, truck and trailer fully loaded for camping.  No white knuckles, no problems.  I'm experienced at towing, I've been doing it all my life, including trading trips with my grandfather from Alpine, down into the deep interior of Mexico.

I'm not in a pissing match but you apparently are.

Edit: I'll add that I did tow my new 29'BHS with my Tahoe when I first picked up the trailer.  20 miles on I35 with gusts up to 20mph, now that was certainly white-knuckle driving.

Edited by utee94

28 minutes ago, davidg said:

My suggest would be to join FB groups or manufacturer forums for the trailers you are looking at and read about what people with the models you are looking at are towing with and how well that is working for them.

This is certainly reasonable advice.

1 hour ago, fluff said:

I really hate towing shit, so probably have white knuckles and a grumpy attitude no matter what...

And, given this, I'm not sure a large bumper-pull travel trailer is really going to be your best choice, anyway.

2 hours ago, fluff said:

Like anything else you do, sure.  I've got some trailers that I know are back there and command constant attention, and others that feel like an extension of my truck (like the boat I've had for 11 years).  It's only 4' shorter than the camper but feels like an extension of my truck.  That said, it's been towed thousands and thousands of miles.  But I've been towing shit around since before I could get out on the road.  Windy conditions with an RV still command my full attention.  Had a guy near Wharton go shoulder to shoulder in front of me once, long before I ever thought of getting a trailer, and that little scene has stuck with me forever.  He was in a big ass truck too; high wind and square footage is a mofo.  Big rigs hauling vans flip every year.  It's a thing.  But there are a TON of "half ton" and light model trailers out there now.  You should have your pick tbh. 

My estimation is that any “ultralight” that is decent sized but weighs 4k dry to be 1/2 ton pullable is likely a piece of shit. 

i got the 3/4 ton because I was pulling about 6k up and down 4-6% grade most of the time I had the trailer hooked up, to get to our spots.  Now that I’m moving away from the mountains, I’m going to keep the bigger truck because it is nice to have the mass as an anchor.