The all encompassing RV thread

troph

19 hours ago, troph said:

so I think we are going to be fine on this.  lower your tire pressure (we have a good compact air compressor), use water if you get stuck to compact the sand, use tracks and possibly 2x6 or sheets of ply wood, etc. etc.  bring a shovel. I think we will be ok on that front.  I want the winch, will get one at some point but not right now.

question for the beach campers... staying in the compact sand with a 40 foot fifth wheel is a bit difficult when you need to turn around. 

how do you manage the turn around which would be required on our end simply for positioning correctly with the doors toward the ocean?

I would be afraid to do a tight turn, a wide turn and would most certainly be afraid to do a back and forth multi-point turn.

please explain to me how you do it.

The main thing for me would be to scope out the site without my trailer in tow.  PINS is also not at compact as say the always groomed Port A.  This time of year for PINS you might try camping on the laguna side, at the Bird Island Basin.  Especially if you want to fly fish out your back door.  Then you can zip out to the PINS beach, and fish multiple cuts in your truck.  Or Malaquite beach has spots that back up to the beach, but no hookups.  

I would also have your concerns about turning around a big rig, and that would make me pretty conservative in my decision making on picking out a spot.

I would also be VERY aware of the tides.  As today for example the tides are so low you can see every cut in the first sandbar.  So you might also wake up to a high tide getting higher that could block you in.  https://www.seagullcondos.com/live-surf-cam/?ref=portaransastex

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The main thing for me would be to scope out the site without my trailer in tow.  PINS is also not at compact as say the always groomed Port A.  This time of year for PINS you might try camping on the laguna side, at the Bird Island Basin.  Especially if you want to fly fish out your back door.  Then you can zip out to the PINS beach, and fish multiple cuts in your truck.  Or Malaquite beach has spots that back up to the beach, but no hookups.  

I would also have your concerns about turning around a big rig, and that would make me pretty conservative in my decision making on picking out a spot.

I would also be VERY aware of the tides.  As today for example the tides are so low you can see every cut in the first sandbar.  So you might also wake up to a high tide getting higher that could block you in.  https://www.seagullcondos.com/live-surf-cam/?ref=portaransastex

excellent thank you!

25 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Yeah I was looking at some of the offerings at REI last week.  I think I was looking at a bonfire pit.  I was trying to decide if it was worth lugging around, or not.  Good news is my kid works at REI so I can get a decent discount.

we lug around a fire pit we purchased from tractor supply.  if you are going to have any sort of fire for pleasure (we have pits for charcoal cooking etc. separately) then you need a fire pit.  we don't use it all the time but when we do it's great, carefree and easy to be responsible with fire.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-3-foot-fire-ring-1041378?store=1600&cm_mmc=organic_feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1041378&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=ECOMM&utm_content=Feed&utm_campaign=Core&cid=Shopping-ECOMM-Core--33&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP2Jc_fM04wOMTrlNTv_ICTNAVTi-JRYatX-KoLht8kFT8vWfzen3WRoC8fkQAvD_BwE

canvas.png

4 minutes ago, troph said:

we lug around a fire pit we purchased from tractor supply.  if you are going to have any sort of fire for pleasure (we have pits for charcoal cooking etc. separately) then you need a fire pit.  we don't use it all the time but when we do it's great, carefree and easy to be responsible with fire.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-3-foot-fire-ring-1041378?store=1600&cm_mmc=organic_feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1041378&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=ECOMM&utm_content=Feed&utm_campaign=Core&cid=Shopping-ECOMM-Core--33&gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP2Jc_fM04wOMTrlNTv_ICTNAVTi-JRYatX-KoLht8kFT8vWfzen3WRoC8fkQAvD_BwE

canvas.png

The big claim from solo stove is that the venting creates a more efficient burn so easier to get going and less smoke.   Not sure how measurable that is. 

we also have a small one for tabletop fire cooking that’s like the size of a half gallon paint can. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The big claim from solo stove is that the venting creates a more efficient burn so easier to get going and less smoke.   Not sure how measurable that is. 

I don't know much about them, I like the old fashion way (heh, call me an old fashion kinda gal, lmao). from a distance the circumference looks too small for me (there is a penis joke in there somewhere).  I guess the pyro in me wants a bigger fire started the hard way.  though less smoke is enticing.

I've never had any problem towing onto the sand at PINS, for the first 3-5 miles.  I wouldn't go beyond that with a trailer.

HOWEVER, I've also never been towing a 5er with a 350.  That's an entirely different thing altogether.

("that's an entirely different thing")

A couple of tips/tricks I use when parking the trailer on the sand.

1) Take a couple of 2x8 or 2x10 long enough to get all trailer wheels on each side up onto.  Lay them out and drive up onto them when parking.  That way, if the wind blows sand up around your trailer tires, they're less likely to get buried (and it's easier to brush the sand away from them if it actually does build up).

2) Take a shallow pan and fill with water, and set it outside your front door.  You can rinse your feet off before stepping into the cabin and it cuts down on some of the sand inside.  Of course, there's still gonna be a ton of sand inside.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Hey don’t forget to shoot me a PM when y’all upgrade. 

I was very happy rumbling around in it yesterday. My youngest cracked a huge smile when I rolled into the school parking lot to pick him up.  But I rode in my buddy’s F250 raptor fully loaded the other day probably a 100k truck that thing was dope and expensive! 

On 1/17/2022 at 9:51 AM, utee94 said:

I've never had any problem towing onto the sand at PINS, for the first 3-5 miles.  I wouldn't go beyond that with a trailer.

HOWEVER, I've also never been towing a 5er with a 350.  That's an entirely different thing altogether.

("that's an entirely different thing")

A couple of tips/tricks I use when parking the trailer on the sand.

1) Take a couple of 2x8 or 2x10 long enough to get all trailer wheels on each side up onto.  Lay them out and drive up onto them when parking.  That way, if the wind blows sand up around your trailer tires, they're less likely to get buried (and it's easier to brush the sand away from them if it actually does build up).

2) Take a shallow pan and fill with water, and set it outside your front door.  You can rinse your feet off before stepping into the cabin and it cuts down on some of the sand inside.  Of course, there's still gonna be a ton of sand inside.

dude we are taking our dog, he sleeps in the bed with us, there is no hope at all re sand. getting excited, truck is ready (almost), getting our boards, shovel, etc. all lined up for if we get stuck. fishing guides soon, surf set up, fly rods ready, epic times I'm hoping.

• Hook 'Em 3

Anyone prep their water system for this storm?

We went out this evening after work and pulled it from our storage, dumped the water tank, and blew out the lines. Probably didn’t need to but feel better about it after having it done. Low temps are saying 25F where we keep it so just wanting to be on the safe side.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, davidg said:

We went out this evening after work and pulled it from our storage, dumped the water tank, and blew out the lines. Probably didn’t need to but feel better about it after having it done. Low temps are saying 25F where we keep it so just wanting to be on the safe side.

No, entire family has Covid so a trip south would be very iffy. I’m just going to have to hope and pray this year. I’m more concerned I can’t even get the stuff around my house fixed in time. This thing has whipped my assssssss

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, davidg said:

After our Christmas camping I just did the same thing I always do, before putting it away in storage.  Open all faucets, open low point drains on hot, cold, and fresh tank.  Drain water heater.  That's it.  It survived admirably through last year's Icepocalypse so I'm not worried about this little cool-down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thinking we will be booking a long weekend at port A at the end of March, with dogs and kids. Could use a rec on some bay fishing type charter, other outdoor fun shit in the area. 
@justhookit

https://www.facebook.com/tejasredfishcharters/
Josh Garcia. Longhorn, great fisherman and funny as hell. Tell him PortAfino John and Cindy sent you the rec. If he’s not available he will get you pointed in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thinking we will be booking a long weekend at port A at the end of March, with dogs and kids. Could use a rec on some bay fishing type charter, other outdoor fun shit in the area. 
@justhookit

We have enjoyed our stays at IB Magee, close enough to where you can walk to beach, pier or Jetty (1/4 mile?) with the dogs.  We usually end up just driving down the beach so the dogs have some space and we just surf fish, eat sandwiches and have beverages.  You don't always catch keeper fish, but you usually get something to tighten the line if you make any real effort. 

Learn how to use a bobber stopper, to make a sliding cork to vary the depth, and go fish the Jetty? The sliding cork lets you have a better chance of the bait drifting though the area holding fish WITHOUT hanging up every damn cast.  Though to be honest I have no idea where to fish now that they have added so many more granite blocks and smoothed the structure out so much at the port A improvement. 

We have also enjoyed taking folks to the Packery Channel if you head toward Corpus.  Just to walk out onto the jetty.  It's short, and it's smooth with hand railing the whole way out.  I guarantee sea turtle sightings at either jetty if the water is halfway clear. 

If your kids are younger especially, go cut some PVC to make some pole holders, and take them and the dogs down to beach and learn to surf fish.  

Eat at La Playa... just cause I can't...

@Pato del Muerto I've got a full day and a half day with a guide this weekend off PINS will let you know. 

picking up our fifth wheel in about 2 hours.  been waaaaaaaay too long.  I'm so excited!  beer, beach fires, beer, fishing, more fishing, bay fishing, surf fishing, fly fishing, spinner rod fishing, fishing to catch, fishing for show (rod holders in the sand while I drink beer), more beer, generators, guns (in case any of your creepers come at us), big truck, shit I might even start spitting again. good times are about to be had.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, troph said:

@Pato del Muerto I've got a full day and a half day with a guide this weekend off PINS will let you know. 

picking up our fifth wheel in about 2 hours.  been waaaaaaaay too long.  I'm so excited!  beer, beach fires, beer, fishing, more fishing, bay fishing, surf fishing, fly fishing, spinner rod fishing, fishing to catch, fishing for show (rod holders in the sand while I drink beer), more beer, generators, guns (in case any of your creepers come at us), big truck, shit I might even start spitting again. good times are about to be had.

Be sure to sanitize and test out your water system beforehand since you haven't used it in a while. 

We camped at Stephen F Austin State Park last weekend in our camper.  Haven't camped there before and had a good time.  Cold and windy Saturday when the front came through but we did some hiking on the trails early Saturday morning and on Sunday before we left.  The trails along the river have some cool sycamore and cottonwood forests and the rv campsites were all pull through with a nice mowed area  and spanish moss covered oaks.  It's only 45 miles from the house so it was pretty easy to head over after work on Friday.

19 minutes ago, troph said:

Any last words of wisdom for taking a big ass truck and 13,000 lbs of trailer and gear on the beach are welcome… 

So it’s beach parking out there?  I found an rv place with full hookups next to the beach in portA for like $70 a night- that seemed like a decent option. 

http://onthebeachrvpark.com/

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, troph said:

Any last words of wisdom for taking a big ass truck and 13,000 lbs of trailer and gear on the beach are welcome… 

I would pull it down into 2nd if it starts getting iffy.  And just manage it like a manual.  That's what I used to do (but 3rd was the ticket) when I used to launch my boat thru Yarborough pass.  I don't think you plan on taking the trailer that far. 

57 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I would pull it down into 2nd if it starts getting iffy.  And just manage it like a manual.  That's what I used to do (but 3rd was the ticket) when I used to launch my boat thru Yarborough pass.  I don't think you plan on taking the trailer that far. 

4x4 and lower gear? Going to take some air out too. Why not just 4x4 low?

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah air down.

The beach is generally pretty drivable for the first 5 miles or so, but it can always change.  Talk to the folks in the booth when you first drive up to get their take on current weather conditions/tide/beach conditions/etc.

Park the trailer up on top of 2x10s so the winds don't bury your trailer tires under the sand

Wind can be pretty strong coming in off the water so watch your awning, I only deploy mine when I actively need to use it and the weather is fair.  I've seen folks have theirs ripped off at the beach before.

Have fun, I love PINS, I'm jealous.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So it’s beach parking out there?  I found an rv place with full hookups next to the beach in portA for like $70 a night- that seemed like a decent option. 

http://onthebeachrvpark.com/

Padre Island National Seashore has direct beach camping and most people go there specifically because you can drive onto and camp directly on the beach.  The further away you get from the entrance, the more privacy you'll have.  3-5 miles down is where I generally settle depending on the crowds. 

But I do like On The Beach in Port A as well, we've stayed there several times in recent years.  Very close to the water so you don't need to drive or rent a golf cart, you can just pack your wagon with your gear and roll it out onto the beach.

Edited by utee94

Yeah while we are still young we have a strong preference for off the grid, remote camping. Nervous about the beach for sure but it’s exactly what we want. I’ll scope it out and we will end up doing fine no matter what (as long as we don’t die we get a story at least) and get what we came for - remote, boon docking camping.  We will end up at places like on the beach in a few more years I’m sure. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah while we are still young we have a strong preference for off the grid, remote camping. Nervous about the beach for sure but it’s exactly what we want. I’ll scope it out and we will end up doing fine no matter what (as long as we don’t die we get a story at least) and get what we came for - remote, boon docking camping.  We will end up at places like on the beach in a few more years I’m sure. 

RV parks like On The Beach are really the equivalent of staying in a VRBO or motel down there, except probably cheaper overall and more importantly you get to sleep in your own bed and not one that's had who-knows-who occupying it.

It's an entirely different mindset than boondocking on the beach at PINS.  I enjoy the boondocking more, but the wife and 14yo daughter would probably admit to anyone but me, that they prefer the full hookups and unlimited showering available at the RV park, over the navy showers and don't-overflow-the-black-tank limitations of dry camping. :)

On 2/16/2022 at 3:19 PM, troph said:

Perhaps a spare case or two of beer, and extra tow straps... in case of disaster.  The farther down you are, the more valuable the beer is.I agree with the use of some sort of riser, or wooden platform for the tires.  I think honestly if you had trouble, somebody would likely stop and help you out.  Especially you if are standing out front with a case of beer!

I agree on the FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM suggestion.  You can always put some water and bleach in on the drive down.  The Padre Bali Park is you closest water fill and dump station..  

• Hook 'Em 1

There's a dump station and water fill at the Malaquite camping section at the entrance to PINS.

There's also a visitor center with flush toilets, cold water showers, and a small store that sells some limited food and ice.

Edited by utee94

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

There's a dump station and water fill at the Malaquite camping section at the entrance to PINS.

There's also a visitor center with flush toilets, cold water showers, and a small store that sells some limited food and ice.

We stopped there. Ended up at north beach bc it was high tide right when we pulled in and the ranger said we’d be fine but recommended we turn around in the morning but I have fishing early tomorrow so we decided one set up was it, so north beach.  Also talked to some folks at the dump and water station that were regulars and they were surprised how many people are on south beach. So turn left and stop / set up versus turn right, stop, spend the night, turn around and set up.  

Still quite nice…

E41F6270-E013-42D6-A0CF-7175E10503F4.jpeg

50A624A0-D91C-4D25-A518-9847FF1DE76D.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

tomorrow after bay fishing the loungers and full sized couch, with coffee table for my feet come out and I’ll show you boys what a rv set up is supposed to look like. 

Make sure you fish till late in the AM, or earlier in the afternoon.  This moon probably going to make it tougher, but I bet it’s a sight down there tonight. 

40 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Make sure you fish till late in the AM, or earlier in the afternoon.  This moon probably going to make it tougher, but I bet it’s a sight down there tonight. 

We aren’t starting until 9:30am. Won’t be getting our flies wet until 10/10:30am at the earliest I bet.  Hope that’s late enough. Good call though. If I strike out this weekend, I’m going back to church. And I took the pup for a long walk tonight to enjoy this: 

E1F0C97B-D818-4331-A032-293DDE1D7315.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pics out of order … even with our booster signal is tough. 

Jax looooves the beach. I waded out with that lure -  I clipped the front treble hook, fuck that noise. Clipped one of the hooks on the back treble too. I’m starting to be a catch and release fanatic. Our ocean resources are beyond their limit. Anyway, Jax was a happy boy today. 

05ECE2E2-37F4-4523-A81B-13E106613906.jpeg

sunset over the dunes. Get the sun coming and going it’s the best part.

04096B82-42AD-4BE4-855F-51F494426A3E.jpeg

drone set up for surf fishing. We got it way the fuck out there twice but the wind was stupid. Gonna get this one right eventually. She used one of the wires from Romex. Just slightly less stiff than a cost hanger. Was interesting I held the line we simply folded it over and eyeballed it out there then she dropped the drone and flew it up fast to drop the line. It worked 50% of the time. Needs improvement but promising. 

0C820D7E-7E7B-48A5-8F23-CAA8FA64F60D.jpeg

too cold for a full beach set up but we rolled that couch out like a gotdammed restoration hardware outdoor furniture ad. 

AF30D082-94E9-4D3B-ACF2-D4B8402D511A.jpeg

sunrise just incredible. 

1DF6A168-0E1F-4FEF-85EF-A2283D4F1781.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Moar pics @troph!

That looks awesome, it's on my bucket list.

It’s one of my most favorite places in Texas. Once you pass bob hall pier and about 5 more minutes of road it turns to nothing. The drive is as quintessential Texas as any other drive in the state. I need a Park Road 22 sticker for our trailer, maybe our truck even. My heart opens up and I feel alive, I feel vibrant, I feel Texan. When the national park starts the feeling just intensifies. By then it’s Jerry Jeff, James McMurtry, Guy, Willie, Lyle, or some other Texas legend on the stereo, windows down hair flying back and the most satisfied grins you can imagine. The sun is often setting bc it’s the day we arrive or we are coming back after a day out, seeing the sun set over the grasslands like that is like a massage for the soul through the eyes. Park road 22 on the way to PINS… I don’t know that it’s my happiest place but it’s one of them for sure. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

We are out and on the road. Zero issues with the sand. Already north of corpus stopped at the rv wash and blasted the truck and RV including undercarriage. Feeling good. Booster worked great on north beach. 

Where is the RV wash?  I know there is a truck wash on 37 south of San Antonio at 1604 loop, but it's usually filthy as hell.  

So by North Beach you are talking about the trun towards the beach right before the guardhouse?