The all encompassing RV thread

troph

I hope there’s 3 of those carts 

Breakfast items only - 6 dozen eggs, two boxes of pancake mix and two cans of cinnamon rolls, 6 packages of bacon, 6 jimmy dean sausages, 40 tortillas, probably 7 boxes of cereal, and 5 gallons of milk. Yeah it might not be enough.

I emptied out the pantry and freezer too and that basket was not the B-E-E-R-R-U-N basket either. So we are probably 2.5 baskets all in.

It’s almost like you’re already in co and hit the dispensary first. Mmmm...goldfish

My 10 year old sometimes suspends his appetite for food and only wants goldfish. He just guzzles them. As for the munchies, I strongly prefer CBD only. The real shit makes me paranoid even when it’s not supposed to.

Drinking my coffee waiting for my morning Zyrtec to take effect, then a few final packing and safety checks and we are on the road.

Seriously - thank you fellas. It’s been fun and a great distraction to all the bullshit that’s been going down.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Dumas (overnight) then a private ranch adjacent to BLM land north west of CO Springs.

I hope you always pronounce that as "Dumb-ass, Texas" like I do.  I was once accosted by a hillbilly trucker type at a gas station in Dumb-ass, Texas.  Some friends and I were headed up to Colorado for Spring Break skiing, and stopped in Dumb-ass for gas.  I was a college junior and had recently exercised my newfound freedom to get my ear pierced.  The trucker dude apparently saw it and kept calling me "pretty-boy" and asking if I wanted a kiss.  We got our gas and our beef jerky and hight-talied it outta there.

But looking back now, heck, maybe he just really liked me?

Anyway, that's my Dumb-ass, Texas story.  

Have fun, post pics, keep us updated.

• Like 1

Dumas?    wash your hands and wear your masks.......Moore Co COVID central

Stopping at an RV park, setting up a minimal camp, eating frozen pizza and sammiches, sleeping, eating cereal for bfast, then back on the road.

I don’t pronounce it dumbass, I actually have mad respect for folks up there. Dust Bowl and all. Read the book “Worst Hard Time” and it changed my view of the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles. But I don’t have an issue with folks who do.

Wife and I have thought about doing this RV thing in 10 years or so, after retirement.  So we wouldn't need gobs of space.  Would a Class B or C be a bit less of a pain in the ass than a trailer?  Class B seems rather smol.

I would buy bigger used and then do it for a year or two and sell unless it becomes the thing you want to do. I love the monster fifth wheels with a full king bed, 3-4 slide outs, legit living and spacious master bathroom with a small powder room, personally. If we were to RV full time for a year or two I’d absolutely want to load up that way and enjoy the hell out of a rolling legit one bedroom apartment.

Our plan for retirement is to have a small house on some property somewhere way out in the country, and go semi-fulltime in an RV.  We'd do a Class A for that, I just don't think anything else has enough room.  

But I don't know that I'd say a motorhome is "easier" than a travel trailer.  A Class A motorhome has all of the mechanical systems of a large bus, as well as all of the complexities of the "home" systems of an RV, combined in one package.  Getting work done on them is a lot tougher than getting work done on a standard pickup truck tow vehicle, or on a standard travel trailer with no drive components at all.

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wife and I have thought about doing this RV thing in 10 years or so, after retirement.  So we wouldn't need gobs of space.  Would a Class B or C be a bit less of a pain in the ass than a trailer?  Class B seems rather smol.

You have to seriously think about what kind of traveling you want to do with it. If you want to move every single night then a Class B or C could work. If you want to move a lot and spend lots of time in cities I would go with a B.

If you want to go somewhere and park for a while a bigger unit might be better.

Trailers allow you to drop the trailer somewhere and then explore the area/city with your tow vehicle. Trailers also have less mechanicals that you have to maintain. A quick run to groceries or a laundromat is easier with a normal vehicle.

Personally I prefer the smaller trailer. We go to a lot of State Park type places and very few RV Park or RV Resorts. Many of the Texas state parks you need a vehicle to drive to the swim area or the hiking trails. If you are in a motorhome then you either tow a small vehicle or follow with a second driver.

If you want to mostly go to RV Resorts with amenities like pools and playgrounds and full 50 amp w/ sewer service a big motor coach may fit better 

We weren't interested in the great big trailers because we want our kids outside and not in the trailer all the time. We didn't get a TV and there are no screens when camping. I also personally didn't want to pull something big up twisty mountain roads.

If you want to use it as a tailgating party station then a big trailer with multiple TVs might be your thing.

No one RV fits all styles of use. You have to define what you want your RV use to look like and then find the one that fits that the best.

Buddy just picked up this one a few months back. Was just a year or so old but owner was upgrading to full size bus/motor home. Said he basically payed half price because the depreciation off the lot is massive. We used it during our Fantasy football draft. Got to say it is pretty damn nice.  He has rented it a few times and said it went great.  So far so good 

49978117742_6c52ff30ba_b.jpg

One thing I remember when traveling during summers in high school was getting to travel INSIDE the hotel room.. TV, bathroom, beds walk around all while traveling.  Shit was great, but at that size, where you could go was always limited.  Thing weighs so much sometimes it would buckle parking lot asphalt 

not actual pic but Eagle looks almost identical to this one.  Great times 

49977357813_2e2364c93f_z.jpg

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

I would buy bigger used and then do it for a year or two and sell unless it becomes the thing you want to do. I love the monster fifth wheels with a full king bed, 3-4 slide outs, legit living and spacious master bathroom with a small powder room, personally. If we were to RV full time for a year or two I’d absolutely want to load up that way and enjoy the hell out of a rolling legit one bedroom apartment.

Have you assigned radio handles yet?  I would humbly recommend my uncle’s “panty snatcher”

Can you not tow something behind a Class C?

Every time I buy a new car, I consider a truck.  And I never do it and I'm glad I didn't when I get my new wheels.

I'm just not super-excited about buying a truck as a tow vehicle.  Or a daily driver.

Edited by TwiceHorn

You can tow behind a Class C. It's just one more complication and one more step to your setup/packup process.

It's also a money thing. A Class C + Towed Vehicle is generally going to cost much more than a tow vehicle + trailer.

• Like 1

e5356aaa4e51e91fc5e3aaf34d3c0e32.jpg

pic near Lubbock.

In Dumas and the Puma is trying our patience. Weather stripping for the awning where it meets the trailer came off, easy fix. One of the license plate bolts came off, easy fix. The AC works but the fan won’t come on, same for the furnace. I’m sure something vibrated loose on the fan. We checked fuses the thermostat and nothing was blown and no burnt circuitry. No loose wires visible or on the roof unit. We think it’s a loose wire, but who knows. Won’t need them this trip and will figure it out for the hell of it while in CO or deal with it when we return.

At the Dumas public RV lot for over night. Free hookups. Nice. Dalhart early then on to NM.

Everybody is chilling outside enjoying the panhandle sunset and the dry cool breeze.

c18d73e22b9f8beab0ccb723ce111fe6.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Can you not tow something behind a Class C?

Every time I buy a new car, I consider a truck.  And I never do it and I'm glad I didn't when I get my new wheels.

I'm just not super-excited about buying a truck as a tow vehicle.  Or a daily driver.

If you're not super-excited about driving a truck, then you might want to think twice as hard about driving a Class C.  Or B or A.  These vehicles are functional and that's it.

Big day yesterday. Blew our load all at once. Picked up new tow vehicle and ordered the Grand Designs Imagine 2800BH Trailer. Expect delivery at end of July.

Crossposted from Trucks but because new truck ...

733-B1569-0-CC1-43-DD-9-CE2-420-CA7-FD8960.jpg

• Like 5

Also, cross posting pics and videos from FB sucks but if you are a member of the TX RVing and Camping group, there are a bunch of pics and videos of dumbasses on Bolivar and Port A thAt were camping on the beach and have stuck trucks and trailers flooded out.

Beach camping while there is a TS in the gulf is always a great idea.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, davidg said:

Also, cross posting pics and videos from FB sucks but if you are a member of the TX RVing and Camping group, there are a bunch of pics and videos of dumbasses on Bolivar and Port A thAt were camping on the beach and have stuck trucks and trailers flooded out.

Beach camping while there is a TS in the gulf is always a great idea.

Yeah I saw that.  They chose... poorly.

About an hour outside CO springs. Truck acting like an all pro so far. Handled the cross winds of 87/64 near Dalhart, Texline and Clayton all the way to Raton like a champ. Raton pass not an issue either. Wish we had an engine break downshifted instead coming down from Raton. I heart this truck. Lunches at rest stops in the fifth wheel - finally realizing some savings !!! No fast food! And no corona either !! Making good mileage too, not sure yet but the mpg is measuring 15 mpg but I think it’s probably a tad lower.

db216073766b7fe80acb83d017b43361.jpg

Staying at the new sunflower development in port A. This guy had dealer plates on his truck and RV. About 100+ other people in the same situation.

Those are the kinds of newb mistakes that keep me up at night. Ouch.

Mountain pussy trailer is nice! Your truck is a beast

Man we love the truck. Slow and steady. We probably never broke 70 mph and it slowed some in the mountains but it ran cool the whole way and we probably broke 3000 rpms maybe 2 or 3 times, that’s it.

More campsite info pls

Woman’s acreage off county road 1 in Florissant. She rents it out on hipcamp. We can walk through her gate and be on BLM land. No bodies of water. A small elevation change and a good hike up. No hook ups, nothing - but only one other camper here and they are 300 yards away. Generators going, solar set up for tomorrow. Dark skies, cool night, Ray Wylie Hubbard, TVZ and the whole Texas country crew keeping me company, single malt scotch, had a Live Oak Hef earlier setting it all up. Exactly what I thought it would be except it’s better ... my 15 year old just looked at me and said “this is really cool. I really like this. Thanks.” Yeah, scores.

Couple more pics... my son took the one with the clouds. The first one was right after camp set up and about to start cooking, listening to REK and drinking a Texas beer up here while leaning against her fender felt all kinds of awesome.

90d5335508aa4d5a347d1b58d2a881cf.jpg

6c61391c04f1bf4a970b410c4b807648.jpg

a287f0da3f24ea8121bd02aadee95c16.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, troph said:

Exactly what I thought it would be except it’s better ... my 15 year old just looked at me and said “this is really cool. I really like this. Thanks.” Yeah, scores.

I know you will make more memories with your kids on future trips but they will always say "Remember that first trip in the trailer up to Colorado.  Wasn't that great?"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Do you need somebody to turn the engine over on your boat while you are out of town?

I was out on it all day so no need. Motor is running great. Something is wrong with the prop but it towed fine back to the dock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Working out the kinks. I think we’ve got the solar and generators and batteries all doing what we want when we want. Had to call camper clinic on a lack of power issue - turned out the generators weren’t ramped and we started too soon with drawing power or something I dunno exactly but the blinking orange light of electrical death came on last night after setting up camp. Seems like it’s universal from laptops to RVs - anyway replaced a blown fuse in the generator and now all day in business. Solar keeping three batteries up pretty good. Generators now for dinner time then all off to sleep. Definitely taken some effort to get it all going smoothly.

Washing dishes with Home Depot orange five gal buckets. No showers. Boys pee outside. Brought 10 one gal water jugs will fill up next stop with fresh water and all in freshwater is untouched, grey is good but 1/3 full on the kitchen sink tank. Switching hand washing to the bath sink. Will use outdoor spray (hot and cold) for washing hair tomorrow - everyone wants the wind blown hair clean. No biggie. Black is still reading empty. Bought 6 large cooler shock ice packs so we’ve got an extra large ice chest keeping extra meats and drinks cold. Fridge and freezer rocking the cool vibes.

Shits working yo.

• Like 2

About to start dinner... current set up. Missing a couch and too windy for an awning and string lights. kids kicking it. No phones in their hands.

c1af43bc69a405c0ebe4e6d65bbbe321.jpg

(Trash and dishwater to be dealt with after dinner, no way we keep a dirty camp up here. Bars out here and shit.)

Temp in the low 60s maybe feels like high 50s in the shade.

• Like 3

About to start dinner... current set up. Missing a couch and too windy for an awning and string lights. kids kicking it. No phones in their hands.

(Trash and dishwater to be dealt with after dinner, no way we keep a dirty camp up here. Bars out here and shit.)

Be glad you're farther south. Snowed about an inch in Winter Park today.
  • Like 1

Supposed to get a dusting tonight... we’ll see. Cold front moving in now while my oldest and I hunker down over a small fire listening to James McMurtry and shooting the shit like I try to at home and can’t.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, troph said:

Sure looks like a phone in the right hand of the one next to the steps.

• Like 1

We’ve had power issues everyday. We’ve overcome them but wow it’s been a challenge. I think one of the generators is suspect actually. We may return it. Batteries made it through the night and allowed for the furnace for about an hour and a half this morning before we turned on the generators. Batteries were still at 1/3 of a charge when we had the courage to go outside and yank the generator cords to get them going. Cold this morning, in the 30’s. Solar will struggle today until the sun comes out. Fun times, no sarcasm.

9 minutes ago, troph said:

We’ve had power issues everyday. We’ve overcome them but wow it’s been a challenge. I think one of the generators is suspect actually. We may return it. Batteries made it through the night and allowed for the furnace for about an hour and a half this morning before we turned on the generators. Batteries were still at 1/3 of a charge when we had the courage to go outside and yank the generator cords to get them going. Cold this morning, in the 30’s. Solar will struggle today until the sun comes out. Fun times, no sarcasm.

They make gennys with remote starts for just such occasions.  If you do end up replacing one, might check into that.

• Like 1