HP Spectre laptop issues

I know there are some tech savvy folks here. I have an HP Psectre laptop. It is about 2 months out of warranty as it was purchased in Feb/March 2019.

It will work great, and then I'll come to bring it out of sleep, and nothing. I'll have to fiddle with it for about an hour or so, and eventually, it will come back on. Will work great again for a month or so, and bam, same thing.

I've done hard resets. I cannot remove the battery as it is fixed. I'd prefer to not buy a new one, but has anyone else had the same issue, and do they have a solution?

I would check with HP because there's an issue with the motherboards in the Spectre line that could be could be causing your problem.  According to a quick google, HP may still fix it even though it's out of warranty.  Also, never ever buy an HP laptop.  They are made with terrible components and you are lucky if they last a year or two before something goes out.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

I havent had a windoze computer for several years, pre-windows 10.

Sleep has always been a bit wonky with windows.  You could set it not to sleep, but just to turn off screen, at some cost of battery life and shut it down for extended periods.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I havent had a windoze computer for several years, pre-windows 10.

Sleep has always been a bit wonky with windows.  You could set it not to sleep, but just to turn off screen, at some cost of battery life and shut it down for extended periods.

My Lenovo Carbon is one of the best all around laptops in the Windows 10 sphere, and it has the fucktarded sleeping/draining issues too.  I've done all sorts of monitoring and registry editing and bios tweaking and.... it still misbehaves randomly. 

Im probably cycling back into the warm embrace of Apple in the next replacement point

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I would check with HP because there's an issue with the motherboards in the Spectre line that could be could be causing your problem.  According to a quick google, HP may still fix it even though it's out of warranty.  Also, never ever buy an HP laptop.  They are made with terrible components and you are lucky if they last a year or two before something goes out.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Welp, it just started again.

Do kev's advice and also check the link below.    The hybrid sleep mode may be the culprit.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935

• Like 1

I would just turn off sleep all together.  You can have the screen turn off after a certain period and do a screensaver and it will be fine.  Just turn it off rather than have it sleep if you want it off.  If you have a SSD drive, they start up so fast it's not worth the hassle of having it go to sleep.  I have it disabled on all of our computers at work and there are no problems from doing so.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

This is most computer specific, not just HP, advice for that type of situation to more quickly get you going but not be all end all:

If your computer ever locks or is in a stasis like you describe you can hold the power button down steady for about 8-12 seconds and it will shut down so you can restart it.  Not a great answer but possibly a functional one when you are just trying to get going again.  It won't save any work you had open but since it is locked you weren't likely to save anything anyway.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kevwun said:

I would just turn off sleep all together.  You can have the screen turn off after a certain period and do a screensaver and it will be fine.  Just turn it off rather than have it sleep if you want it off.  If you have a SSD drive, they start up so fast it's not worth the hassle of having it go to sleep.  I have it disabled on all of our computers at work and there are no problems from doing so.

I'm not convinced that turning any computer off every night is beneficial. I had a desktop I never intentionally turned off for fifteen years. Same for my current desktop, which I only turn off for lightning storms (that's what got my last desktop.) There's a theory that the on/off surges can shorten the life of the computer. Recently left my Dell laptop on for a week or so with zero ill effects - keep the cooling vent/s open, make sure the screen turns off after x minutes.

56 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I'm not convinced that turning any computer off every night is beneficial. I had a desktop I never intentionally turned off for fifteen years. Same for my current desktop, which I only turn off for lightning storms (that's what got my last desktop.) There's a theory that the on/off surges can shorten the life of the computer. Recently left my Dell laptop on for a week or so with zero ill effects - keep the cooling vent/s open, make sure the screen turns off after x minutes.

I'm sure that's generally true.  However, it probably doesn't affect laptops nearly as badly as a desktop.  And the life of a laptop is relatively more finite than a desktop so the "longevity" isn't significantly reduced.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

A computer is not a house.  Most people aren't holding onto them for 15 years.  I turn mine off every night and have never had one die because of it.