The future of the Progressive Left

Hank Kingsley

7 hours ago, Gourmand said:

this won the lefty internet today. holy shit I'm dying.

He deleted it, so I don't know what it is :(

In the thread was this gem: "Progressives love to lose so much they wanted to force a losing vote."

Damn.

Yeah these responses kind of tell the story. Someone who can take a joke and someone who can't.

Edit #1000

Found it.  This is the best thing.

Edited by bad_teammate

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Hugo has a vision of the progressive left filled with Warren Democrats, and Bernie progressives don't really recognize them as true allies. 

I know you want nothing more than to relive the fights of the 2020 primary indefinitely, but it's over and those coalitions do not exist.

What the hell is a "Warren Democrat" in late January of 2021? lol 

What is a "Bernie progressive"? You're literally posting underneath Sarah Palin making a cameo about the internicene war between progressives and online personality leftists (who were jovially united under Bernie 2020).

52 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I know you want nothing more than to relive the fights of the 2020 primary indefinitely, but it's over and those coalitions do not exist.

What the hell is a "Warren Democrat" in late January of 2021? lol 

What is a "Bernie progressive"? You're literally posting underneath Sarah Palin making a cameo about the internicene war between progressives and online personality leftists (who were jovially united under Bernie 2020).

It was more of a commentary about Hugo wanting to police this thread to go on a certain track. 

The online left is a real fucking mess right now, as the Bernie coalition is splintering and now they are going after each other. It's all so very stupid, but it's a legitimate issue. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The online left is basically serious people vs unserious people and the unserious people get too much attention because they say dumb shit for attention. It’s annoying.  Folks like Krysal Ball, Dore, and Greenwald are not serious advocates for helping people. 

Greenwald especially.  

I don't know if I'm still considered a 'Warren" democrat or not; I still think she's trying to get things done, and so is Bernie so I like them both.

But right now, this is what I am supporting. Let's get this to the people; I don't care about his bitchy political comments and all that, get the relief to the people is what I'm focusing on. Not watered down, not filled with other stuff, get the relief to the people so they can breathe. You've got the House, Senate, Biden so get the hell on with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The online left is basically serious people vs unserious people and the unserious people get too much attention because they say dumb shit for attention. It’s annoying.  Folks like Krysal Ball, Dore, and Greenwald are not serious advocates for helping people. 

Sy Ableman was a Serious Man.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Back off thread man.  It’s always been unique to this forum the posters prefer mega threads instead of shorter more targeted topic discussions.  It’s weird as fuck to me because if I want to start a conversation about a topic, the best way to do it is to start a new thread.  The sensitivity to new threads is also weird af.  

no. fuck you.  keeping the conversations generally to one thread is so much better than the scatter-brained alternative which is the same conversation happening between 13 different people in 11 different threads.  go to AT if you want to do that.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

no. fuck you.  keeping the conversations generally to one thread is so much better than the scatter-brained alternative which is the same conversation happening between 13 different people in 11 different threads.  go to AT if you want to do that.

Exactly. Makes me far easier to avoid 

We've been sort of talking around it here the last couple of days, but this is important (also "no platform for fascists, only pavement" is cool as hell). Anyone who advocates for an alliance with neo-nazis, the alt-right, or other elements of the far right needs to be shamed and should be ignored by leftists going forward. It's not just stupid because they want to kill leftists, it's morally wrong because they want to kill the people leftists allegedly care about. 

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Hugo has a vision of the progressive left filled with Warren Democrats, and Bernie progressives don't really recognize them as true allies. 

Understandable impression after the primaries. 

There is an interesting split there. And I am not sure it matters. Give me a warren progressive any day over a Mike Bloomberg-type democrat. 

Warren dems tend to focus on identity roadblocks to progress and Sanders tends to focus more on class impediments to progress. Both agree on the end goal - progress from the morass where we find ourselves now.

I am more of a "why-not-both" economic progressive.  I love my Sanders' Sisters and my Elizabeth Bros. (and the Beto Beau's, the Yang Sisterhood, the Pete-Mares, and whomever else wants to take a progressive slant to moving the Nation forward). 

• Hook 'Em 3

whatever the future of the progressive left is, I hope it involves shunning people like this SJW loon. I'm convinced some people consider it a waste of a day if they cant get worked up into a lather about some trivial bullshit. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/S-F-high-school-students-get-a-lesson-in-subtle-15909700.php

“What did they see? They saw a white man in a puffy jacket and huge mittens, distant not only in his social distancing, but in his demeanor and attire,” Seyer-Ochi wrote, adding, “What did I see? What did I think my students should see? A wealthy, incredibly well-educated and -privileged white man, showing up for perhaps the most important ritual of the decade, in a puffy jacket and huge mittens.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

whatever the future of the progressive left is, I hope it involves shunning people like this SJW loon. I'm convinced some people consider it a waste of a day if they cant get worked up into a lather about some trivial bullshit. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/S-F-high-school-students-get-a-lesson-in-subtle-15909700.php

It was as though someone was channeling their inner Skip Bayless on a take like that. 

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lol, when they're going after Bernie, I'd say they may be a little lost.

From the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (TLDR - identitarian politics are not the favorite of leftists; they represent an oppressive structure in humanity). 

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-politics/#LibeIdenPoli

For many leftist commentators, in particular, identity politics is something of a bête noire, representing the capitulation to cultural criticism in place of analysis of the material roots of oppression. . . .Identity politics, for these critics, is both factionalizing and depoliticizing, drawing attention away from the ravages of late capitalism toward superstructural cultural accommodations that leave economic structures unchanged.

For example, while allowing that both recognition and redistribution have a place in contemporary politics, Nancy Fraser laments the supremacy of perspectives that take injustice to inhere in “cultural” constructions of identity that the people to whom they are attributed want to reject. Such recognition models, she argues, require remedies that “valorize the group’s ‘groupness’ by recognizing its specificity,” thus reifying identities that themselves are products of oppressive structures. 

Interesting point to me:

Unrolled thread:

• When revolution or radical reform happens, the left sees itself as the prime protagonist.
  • But the truth is, when the left is able to successfully exercise agency, it's often because its target is weak or vulnerable . . . 
  • For me, the implication of the whole argument about the right's weakness that I and others have been making for the last four years is not complacency (one of the weirdest acts of misreading) but confidence and emboldenment.
  • Push harder, don't be cowed, the fear of a backlash is way overstated.
  • I think there are actually two groups on the broad spectrum of the left that get that right now.
    • One was Black Lives Matter and the protesters of the summer, who rightly understood that the dynamics of racial backlash were now working against the right, and so didn't back down when others warned them to.
    • The other group are more liberal Democrats in Congress, not even super-left, but people like Wyden and so on, who simply do not seem cowed by the GOP's screams.
    • Both of these groups seem to really understand the opportunity we have, an opportunity that, again, is premised upon the weakness, not the strength, of the right. I hope others on the left follow their lead.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Filibuster is a relict of racism.

It serves no purpose in modern governance but to obstruct the voice of the majority and laws with majority support - all that is required by the Constitution. 

It is and has been ripe for abuse. It protects Senators from making difficult decisions and having to answer difficult questions. Those days are coming to an end. Modern governance does not permit hiding places for elected officials. 

Time to rein in the filibuster. Repubs are on the wrong side of that history. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 1:07 PM, henrygandorf said:

apologies accepted.

You know what, I do owe you a sincere apology for attacking you without cause and then doubling down on it all.  I was being shitty and have no excuse.  This was a long time ago but I was reminded of it today.  There is being a dick for fun and there is just being an asshole.  I was the latter, and I am sorry.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

You know what, I do owe you a sincere apology for attacking you without cause and then doubling down on it all.  I was being shitty and have no excuse.  This was a long time ago but I was reminded of it today.  There is being a dick for fun and there is just being an asshole.  I was the latter, and I am sorry.

apology accepted again, sincerely. we all have those days. we’re on the same team in here. don’t give it another thought. 

👊🏻

• Like 1

Amazon has just started the process of F’n around and finding out with a senator who will not back down. Senator Warren, no matter what you think of her, genuinely cares about human beings. Her actions back up her words. 
I hate that her and Bernie aren't going to be around for a long time.

This whole thing started back in what? 1995 or whenever it was that the shippers got greedy and lobbied Congress to dismantle the USPS. Note: postal SERVICE.

Unconstitutional traitors, the lot of them, to mess with that. Cherry picked those plum routes so the postal service lost money. Made the postal service pre-fund it's pensions seventy-five years ahead, made the postal service subsidize the last mile so the shippers could out compete everywhere. Systematically, slowly, and carefully they took something of benefit to every citizen and strangled it. And sold the bill of goods to Americans that it was outdated and shabby and couldn't modernize. And people bought it completely. So mad I could spit.

I hope Warren garrottes their lies and thievery until nothing is left but what would fit in an A-5 envelope. That'll be .55 cents please.

19 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Amazon has just started the process of F’n around and finding out with a senator who will not back down. Senator Warren, no matter what you think of her, genuinely cares about human beings. Her actions back up her words. 

Ain't shit going to happen to Amazon.

Warren will continue to beat the war drums, Nancy and Chuck will ignore it and the fall back will be some "rabble rabble" from AOC Twitter followers until Biden addresses the situation with "Come on, man."

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Warren will continue to beat the war drums, Nancy and Chuck will ignore it and the fall back will be some "rabble rabble" from AOC Twitter followers until Biden addresses the situation with "Come on, man."

I don’t think anyone is crazy enough to believe Amazon is going anywhere but it is nice to see them get the most mild public shaming. If only Walmart and Amazon could murder suicide each other, but sadly they’re more likely to merge than that happening. 

44 minutes ago, F250 said:

I find it best to keep a positive attitude going forward. Would I like to see someone besides Senator Schumer and Speaker Pelosi in charge at this particular moment in American history? Sure. I am going to posit that Warren’s work begins with her, but like many movements geared to change things in society it will take the generation that takes her mantle to finish it. I use his name regularly because of his continued relevance to discussions about perseverance, but John Lewis dedicated 62 years of his life to championing the the society he thought was possible. He did not live to see its completion, but he was never deterred in pursuing a world where we were all equal. 

The Stacey Abrams, Congresswoman Cortez, Omar, Tlaib, Pressley and Katie Porter’s of the world  are the group who will shoulder the burden (women are far better at leading movements of positive change in my opinion) going forward. I am confident in their ability to exert their influence and will for years to come, especially when it comes to a corporate behemoth like Amazon.

Edited by UpperWestside