Pop up canopy recs

They all suck shit and are a pain in the ass and heavy.  They start to rust the second the legs touch water. You have to dig the legs into the sand at the beach .  Every year I see a busted canopy in the dumpster at the beach, including one that was ours.

That being said they are nice.  

Honestly if it is just you or maybe two people we've had good experiences with the umbrellas.  Easier, lighter, tougher, but also smaller.

I have several of the E-Z up brand ones, 10X10 with the straight (not angled) legs. 

Have used them for many years for tailgating, back yard parties etc and never had a problem with them. They also come with a bag with wheels for easy transport. 

With two people they are a snap to put up and take down. You can do with one person but it is a bit more challenging. 

• Like 1

I'm a baller, just sprung for the 12x12 angled leg version at Academy for $69.99.  I'm sure it'll be a bitch to get up straight out of the box, but I'll get the hang of it.

Also bought 4 home depot 5 gallon paint buckets which I will fill with water and tie to each corner in the event of high wind, because beach sand laughs at tent stakes.

I have yet to see one that will survive more than a couple trips to the beach.  Even if you have it anchored down well, at some point a gust of wind comes a long that will destroy them.  They are still probably worth the hassle though.  It's nice to be able to get out of the sun.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

Looking for something that’s easy to set up/take down, doesn’t weigh a ton, but not disposable either? Will use at lake and parks.

You can have one or the other, but not both.  An EZ Up will hold up well to wind and the elements but it's heavy as hell.  A canopy without the internal bracing that something like an EZ Up has will destroy itself in the first strong windstorm it encounters.

We have a Z-Shade Venture 10x10 that I got at Academy 7 or 8 years ago. It’s expensive ($120) and heavy (~50lbs) but much more rugged than any of the ones we previously had. Will buy another just like when this one finally dies.

We also have one of those sports umbrellas posted above. They work good for two people in chairs but if the wind gets up you have to stake it down well or it will get away from you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, davidg said:

We have a Z-Shade Venture 10x10 that I got at Academy 7 or 8 years ago. It’s expensive ($120) and heavy (~50lbs) but much more rugged than any of the ones we previously had. Will buy another just like when this one finally dies.

We also have one of those sports umbrellas posted above. They work good for two people in chairs but if the wind gets up you have to stake it down well or it will get away from you.

Yeah we have a Z-Shade from Academy - I don't know the exact model or size - but I concur with this. Heavy as fuck, and a pain to put up (forget it with 1 person), but it seems really sturdy. The other day in fact it blew up and over my roof and onto my neighbors because I'm a dumbass and didn't weigh it down. Pulled it down off the roof and it's fine.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:50 AM, BearSchlong said:

I'm a baller, just sprung for the 12x12 angled leg version at Academy for $69.99.  I'm sure it'll be a bitch to get up straight out of the box, but I'll get the hang of it.

Also bought 4 home depot 5 gallon paint buckets which I will fill with water and tie to each corner in the event of high wind, because beach sand laughs at tent stakes.

You are not a baller unless you pay $160 for 4 of these. 
spacer.png

• Haha 1

Honestly if it is just you or maybe two people we've had good experiences with the umbrellas.  Easier, lighter, tougher, but also smaller.

Interesting thought... the pop up style beach shelters look easy to setup. A couple of those may be a better option if we can fit 5 to 6 people.