snowpiercer on tnt

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I saw that there was the movie on Netflix but have yet to watch. Is this show a continuation of the movie?

The show is a reboot. Also the show is set in 2021, 7 years after the initial climate altering event. The movie was set in 2031.  The movie touched on an earlier revolt on the train — guessing that’s the plot of the show. So it’s essentially a rebooted prequel 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

The show is a reboot. Also the show is set in 2021, 7 years after the initial climate altering event. The movie was set in 2031.  The movie touched on an earlier revolt on the train — guessing that’s the plot of the show. So it’s essentially a rebooted prequel 

Thanks. I think I will steer clear of this one.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

the show is completely independent and takes place in year 5 (although they mention a revolt in year 2 or something).  some of the plot will overlap with the movie, but they look like they're trying to go their own way and tell a new story against the same backdrop - a 1000 car train that contains the last of humanity, and the class system from the tail to the engine.

also...

jennifer connelly horse GIF

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Didn't someone hate this movie on the old site? I can't remember who it was, but they REALLY hated it.

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I cannot get past the completely stupid premise.

I thought it was dumb as fuck. And half the reviews for this shitshow mention "as long as you can get past the idiotic premise".

"Hamsterball: The Movie! is great as long as you can get past the premise of a giant inflatable hamsterball rolling around full of really heavy sharp knives."

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

Yeah, but you hate all Korean movies.  I mean, except for that one guy in your Avatar.  I sorta enjoyed the original film.  You had to turn off your brain for a lot just to get to a place where you could even enjoy the post-apocalyptic journey where class struggles still prevailed despite there only being a few hundred people left.  Also makes you wonder what the expedia.com process looked like for filling up train and its back cars.  Probably the same people that promoted Fyre Festival.  

Anyway, I didn't hate it, I didn't love it.  Deep stance there, Lobo.  But it had a few tertiary pieces/scenes that were incredibly intriguing to me like procreation, making people wish they had it better without enabling them to do so, and of course-the delicious parallels to "Cat's Cradle" by Vonnegut once you see how John Hurt/Ed Harris shake out.  That said, I figure like most series they'll start strong and just fuck it up one episode after another.  But if Gandorf, et. al. like it, I'll give it a shot...obviously with the tacit understanding that Connelly face-fucks an ice dildo in episode two before going ass-to-ass in episode 5. 

40 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I thought it was dumb as fuck. And half the reviews for this shitshow mention "as long as you can get past the idiotic premise".

well if you thought the movie was dumb as fuck, you're probably not going to watch the tv show version anyway.  i'm not watching the "battlefield earth" tv show (which is a bad example because i never saw the movie and no tv show exists, but you get it).  i haven't read any of the reviews of the tv show, because television critics often receive multiple episodes, and are incapable of writing about them one at a time.

i wasn't expecting much, because of tnt.  many basic cable channels have a "feel" (i'm looking at you, usa), and i thought tnt did a good job of not distracting me with that feel.  would it be better on netflix or hbo?  almost certainly, but i thought it was solid.

the main aspect that impressed me (besides production value) was that they're choosing to tell a story (a passenger from the tale was a murder detective, and they need him to investigate a murder on the train).  the movie was about the train itself, the class system, and their plans to overthrow the whole system.  in the tv show, it seems like they're using the train as a backdrop, and hopefully will explain it along the way, while we follow the investigation into the murder.

as for rejecting a premise out of hand, i get it.  i'm not a big sci-fi fan, so often times the premise itself is a turn-off for me.  but not in this case, and not so far. 

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well if you thought the movie was dumb as fuck, you're probably not going to watch the tv show version anyway.  i'm not watching the "battlefield earth" tv show (which is a bad example because i never saw the movie and no tv show exists, but you get it).  i haven't read any of the reviews of the tv show, because television critics often receive multiple episodes, and are incapable of writing about them one at a time.

i wasn't expecting much, because of tnt.  many basic cable channels have a "feel" (i'm looking at you, usa), and i thought tnt did a good job of not distracting me with that feel.  would it be better on netflix or hbo?  almost certainly, but i thought it was solid.

the main aspect that impressed me (besides production value) was that they're choosing to tell a story (a passenger from the tale was a murder detective, and they need him to investigate a murder on the train).  the movie was about the train itself, the class system, and their plans to overthrow the whole system.  in the tv show, it seems like they're using the train as a backdrop, and hopefully will explain it along the way, while we follow the investigation into the murder.

as for rejecting a premise out of hand, i get it.  i'm not a big sci-fi fan, so often times the premise itself is a turn-off for me.  but not in this case, and not so far. 

One of the reviews I saw compared it to an episode of Law and Order on a train.

Guest Lobo
5 hours ago, YChang said:

You're one... interesting dude Lobo. 

Yes, I suppose you are correct.   I wrote a 1.5 paragraph review in response to a thread about a new show based on a movie many of us have seen.  People will talk of my esoteric and long travail down the contemplative fiction path just as long as we shall discuss that train.  Really, I just need something new to watch this quarantine and I usually trust Gandorf's judgements.  Could just be that.  But yes, yes...thank you my child. 

15 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i agree with both the critics and the admirers.  the premise is stupid, but so is mortal engines, the golden compass, westworld, etc.  it's escapism, not reality.  

gandorf is right though, in that it has a quality feel, not a network television, made for tv cheesiness.   plus, they briefly alluded to a couple of plot points that happened in the past, besides the revolution, that are enough to peak my curiosity to see how it plays out.  there was another murder, besides the one they brought in the detective for, an there is something going on between jennifer and the asian chick.  she told her as soon as the investigation is over we can get back to the other thing.  then there's the detectives ex-wife and their relationship - why they broke up, how she rose up in class, etc. then there's the whole wilford enterprises thing and the charade she's pulling off.

the garden and the aquarium are dumb.  the idea that they somehow have enough food on board to feed thousands of people for years on end is dumb.  the idea of a train going around in circles for years on end is dumb.  class struggles and the politics of survival in a post-apocalyptic world are not dumb, and are concepts we can all relate to so i'm in.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Anyone else still watching this? I've found it to be pretty entertaining so far. 

i am, and like it a lot.  it requires some suspension of belief as some of the plot points are preposterous, but still a good show about class struggle.

• Like 1

I'm still watching, it's a decent scifi show. As any scifi fan will attest to, the vast majority of scifi shows have silly or stupid premises, so we're willing to overlook and forgive a lot for the sake of a good story.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

i am, and like it a lot.  it requires some suspension of belief as some of the plot points are preposterous, but still a good show about class struggle.

This. And with the murder solved, it should pick up now 

22 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

I'm still watching, it's a decent scifi show. As any scifi fan will attest to, the vast majority of scifi shows have silly or stupid premises, so we're willing to overlook and forgive a lot for the sake of a good story.

You mean instantaneous space travel via warp, wormhole and hyperspace isn’t possible? And all humanoid aliens don’t speak English?!? 

45 minutes ago, ajax said:

I liked the movie but who tf fixes the tracks when they need maintenance?

Why do they need maintenance?

The train itself clears the tracks (hence the name Snowpiercer).  There's no vehicles traveling over the tracks.  There's (in this universe, so far) one train that traverses each section of track once a year.  The world is freezing, so I doubt there's any humidity to cause rust.  I guess maybe it would be an issue of earthquakes? 

45 minutes ago, ajax said:

I liked the movie but who tf fixes the tracks when they need maintenance?

one of my plot pitfalls also.  they've already been through one avalanche , this "brace" announcement over the loudspeaker shows that it's not uncommon, but they're just going to loop around and blow by there again next time around without any problems for 6 years running.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why do they need maintenance?

The train itself clears the tracks (hence the name Snowpiercer).  There's no vehicles traveling over the tracks.  There's (in this universe, so far) one train that traverses each section of track once a year.  The world is freezing, so I doubt there's any humidity to cause rust.  I guess maybe it would be an issue of earthquakes? 

plate tectonics yo.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got into the show by a weekend binge watch. Certain aspects are good, others not so much. I wish they would introduce more side characters to build interest in more than just the main 2.

i read a few things on Wikipedia about the actors and hence the characters (no spoilers) so I can spot a twist or two coming up.  FYI, the police officer is Sting’s kid.

and yes there is a suspension of disbelief. You have 1000 cars with 3000 people and it’s solely led by Connelly, 2 engineers, a hospitality assistant who is kept in the dark about the secrets and they just named a 10 year old to be be the 4th ranking engineer on the train. But hey he was in formal school for at least 2 weeks prior to the promotion. (Yes, I get there is more to the reasons we see.)

the say it ain’t so joe version in episode 2 may be the best version I ever heard.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...