100 best debut singles

tbone_

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Lots of typical Rolling Stone horseshit mixed in there. Dream On at #62 is ridiculously low and STP's Sex Type Thing being omitted is a joke.

But #1 made me laugh, though

OK, I like Archers of Loaf, but if you had ever asked me to name just a single, I would have not been able to do so.  Same for Pylon, Pere Ubu, Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, and Black Flag.  I mean, there's probably 30-40 artists on that list that I know little to nothing about, so it's hard to have an opinion there, but these bands, I know quite a bit about, and they didn't have "singles", much less great ones.

Not a Pet Shop Boys fan, but I can see "West End Girls" being higher.  Same for Boston's "More Than a Feeling", Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe", oh fuck it, I quit.

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It shouldn't even be on the list at all. I can name 50 Beatles songs better than that POS.

Of course it shouldn't, which is why I said you didn't have to look very far to discover and therefore invalidate the list. One issue with your Beatles comment -- the Beatles only had ONE debut single. There is a band on there that is sort of represented twice, though.

Also, Radiohead is my favorite band. "Creep" belongs nowhere near the Top 100 all-time best debut singles IMO.

Just now, C-Man said:

Of course it shouldn't, which is why I said you didn't have to look very far to discover and therefore invalidate the list. One issue with your Beatles comment -- the Beatles only had ONE debut single. There is a band on there that is sort of represented twice, though.

Also, Radiohead is my favorite band. "Creep" belongs nowhere near the Top 100 all-time best debut singles IMO.

Yeah knew that was an off topic remark after I hit submit reply.  Singles haven't even really been a thing for a long damn time have they ? I can remember buying  45's in jr. high school (7th, 8th, 9th grade).

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd put "Creep" in the Top 100.  Then again, I'm not a particularly huge fan of Radiohead.

I would as well.  That single dropped like a bomb.  

But all you guys dissing Dire Straits can fuck right off.  Mark Knopfler is a king among men.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

I would as well.  That single dropped like a bomb.  

But all you guys dissing Dire Straits can fuck right off.  Mark Knopfler is a king among men.

Who's dissing Dire Straits?  I started laughing because they had "Sultans of Swing" at #95, instead of #5 or so where it probably belongs.

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

You've got it wrong. I could make a strong argument for #1, but at least top 10. I mean "It's raining men" is a fine song if you are at a Male Strip Show (NTTAWWT), but there's no planet in the omniverse that it should be ahead of Dire Straits.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I don't know what all their criteria was & if work in a previous band counts against a solo artist, but in what world would a publication omit Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl' while simultaneously claiming that  'Baby One More Time' changed the world? 

It would make me change the dial on the radio. Does that count ?