Shoulder pads- another semi-perfect off-season post

idahorn

Watching all the older games on LHN, I've noticed the evolution of shoulder pad sizes.  Tony Brackens had pads that looked like he had a body pillow wrapped around his neck.  In the Academy Bowl a couple years ago a Missouri DT looked like his shoulder pads were a pair of wet washrags.  Is there any explanation for this deflation?

• Like 2

There are a couple of things I've noticed watching those games, and that's one of them.  The other is the hitting.  Texas v. Arky from 1984 looked brutal.  

I don't know if it was Brackens but one of our lineman was swallowed up by his shoulderpads and helmet.  

42 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

There are a couple of things I've noticed watching those games, and that's one of them.  The other is the hitting.  Texas v. Arky from 1984 looked brutal.  

I don't know if it was Brackens but one of our lineman was swallowed up by his shoulderpads and helmet.  

He hadn't quite turned 10 yet so I doubt it was him

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I've noticed the same, even in the 2006 champ game.  There are several hits from both sides that would be penalties if not ejections today.

10 minutes ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

Advances in technology and construction allow pads to be smaller and lighter while providing the same or more protection

You work in Marketing, right? Like Pharma, for every $5 on R&D, $95 is spent on marketing in sports and athletic gear?

On 5/20/2020 at 9:07 PM, Goodman said:

I think they look perfect. Man Ricky was a freak. That was a fun season, specially aggie and cotton bowl games.

I agree, they looked like super heroes back then.  Much like music, we've seen the best we're going to in this lifetime I'm afraid.  

Edited by mulletpelini

Advances in technology and construction allow pads to be smaller and lighter while providing the same or more protection
What technology are you referring too? Plastic? Plastic technology hasn't changed, what the players want to wear has. If a DE wanted to wear a receivers pads back in the 90s he could have.
  • Like 1

What technology are you referring too? Plastic? Plastic technology hasn't changed, what the players want to wear has. If a DE wanted to wear a receivers pads back in the 90s he could have.
this.

bitd, teams felt like more pads meant more ability to hit harder with less concern for injury. the game was slower and more focused on power and head to head matchups... QBs wore big pads often, too.

Then offenses changed and speed became the name of the game.... and the rules for hitting changed.

i hated having big shoulder pads, thigh pads, and knee pads. they weren't necessary, and didn't stop any shots to the ribs or head, or protect the knee structure, but scrubs get whatever is left.
  • Like 1

We have added 0.01 mm carbon fiber technology to our line of pads which has increased the cost by 200%. Come on down to Nivek’s super duper tough plastics emporium and get ahead of the competition.
  • Like 1