Pandemic Lockdown Positives?

Droopy

Yes, I'm acutely aware of the pandemic/virus sucking beyond belief and being super shitty. That being said, I've talked with various people that have been affected in some way by this event/disease and there have been some interesting positives, relatively speaking. I was curious if anyone else had some positives they'd like to share?

Just for overkill, Yes, I have know people that have gotten Covid, and one has died as a result while the others have recovered. It sucks she is gone, RIP Lee Ann. This is for you, my friend. 

Positives I've experienced or heard: 

• Still have a job and now will be working from home for the foreseeable future, something I've been dreaming about.
  • Saving a ton of money not driving into I-35 on a daily basis or paying for meals downtown.
  • Spending time with my daughter and wife (No pics, unless I feel like it later) which has strengthened both relationships.
  • People seem nicer, in general and more accommodating.
  • Both work from home so we bang all the time now.

I have more, but I want to hear from you assholes. Has there been anything positive happen due to your respective lockdowns?

Mods, if I've fucked up and there is already a thread similar to this, feel free to delete and scold me accordingly. 

Lost a ton of weight from constantly running the dog and cooking all of my own meals.

Mo money: IT pros are in very high demand right now. I guess due to everyone having to restructure for remote operations. 

Made huge strides training my dog. We are together 100% of the day and she loves it.

My place has never been cleaner. It sparkles.

Gas is cheap af so my weekend country drives cost next to nothing

• Like 2

Great! Yes, this is what I was looking for. Also heard a few male friends tell me it killed their already doomed relationships. Divorces and break-ups, but all seemed to be ok with it for the most part. Interesting what is happening, good bad and different.

Cons: 

Lost job. 

Can’t find a job.

Living off savings 

Cant go anywhere

Can’t do anything

Can’t get laid 

Pros: 

Due to boredom, my chops are up and I can out-drink any of you fuckers who have been spending this time being productive. 

In the nicest way possible, fuck this thread 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Droopy said:
  • Spending time with my daughter and wife (No pics, unless I feel like it later) which has strengthened both relationships.
  • Both work from home so we bang all the time now.

I guess that's one way to strengthen a relationship.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Helped make masks and gowns for the medical field.

Thats it. Everything else sucks cock since I am in the FR clothing oil and gas market. Also I may need a shoulder transplant. And my transmission in my truck started saying fuck you a few weeks ago.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

7 dead squirrels

My squirrel body count this year is 11, but those fuckers keep showing up to depredate my tomatoes.

I got lazy after taking out 4 of them by late April, but have stepped up my game recently and got 7 in the last week.

Tractor Supply traps baited with peanut butter and peanuts are said to be effective  

But they still keep coming.*

* The above was a fictional account of a fictional backyard gardener.

• Like 1

Normally travel for work extensively, this is the longest I have not been on a plane in over 15 years. 

Everyone working remotely has made it so we are all doing the same job in just different locations now. Team is even more efficient. 

No travel means more time with wife and daughters which has been great. 

No travel means less time eating unhealthy and grabbing drinks at the hotel bar, much healthier 

No travel means more sex. 

I have discovered my impulsive consumerism is worse than I thought.  Besides making it a point to frequent a number of mom& pop restaurants During CV-19 and buying normal groceries and booze; I haven’t spent shit relative to what I normally do.  For the first time I can recall, wife tells me Sunday to get all of the extra money out of checking that has accumulated and put it in savings.   It was a strange conversation.

I have made it a point to call my brothers every week.  My mom is more often than that.  Have called and had grat conversations with long time friends that live away from me, just because I had the time on my hands.  Yesterday I spoke 2 hours with a good buddy from The Woodlands...just because.  Thaat is the most positive win, IMHO.

• Like 1

Yes! We've been paying a shit load of our debt down and saving as much as we can. Started playing tennis regularly and seeing/talking with people I haven't spoken with in a while. Connections. 

Had a buddy call me yesterday to tell me his wife couldn't take him anymore and they are getting a divorce. I said I was sorry, he said he wasn't. This lockdown was all they needed to see they hated each other and what their lives had become. He's happier than he's been in a long time and working on himself. Heard a few couples broke up from affairs being revealed because of this as well. Ouch, but maybe in the long run it will work itself out as well. Just find it interesting that a lot of people have come out of a fog with this and finally have the time to look around and smell the roses. Like always, some smell shitty, but others are glorious. 

No pics of the wife yet, TrashMaster G.

Edited by Droopy

2 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You're doing it wrong.

You are right - I should have said "more sex with my wife". 

I forgot I know my neighbors now, we are doing social distance happy hours in the street and has helped us connect with more people on the street. (this one might be a good for now...)

• Like 1

Saving a shitload of money w no gas, parking or lunches, and a shitload of time not having to commute, put in face time, etc.  I see my kids more and will just shoot baskets with them in the middle of the day in between calls.  Way more time for fishing and other fun stuff- if my last call is at 4, I'm heading to the lake.  Started getting in shape with better diet and cardio. 

I was just on a call where my company estimates they will do remotely through the summer.  I'm ok with that  

On 5/20/2020 at 12:04 AM, Victor Lazlo said:

My squirrel body count this year is 11, but those fuckers keep showing up to depredate my tomatoes.

I got lazy after taking out 4 of them by late April, but have stepped up my game recently and got 7 in the last week.

Tractor Supply traps baited with peanut butter and peanuts are said to be effective  

But they still keep coming.*

* The above was a fictional account of a fictional backyard gardener.

Your pics of fried squirrel aren't showing up.  What about the rest of y'all?

#Coonass

Edited by ROFL BOX
Yours, mine... whatevs.

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have been exercising pretty much every day and am in the best shape since high school.  Also, drinking a fuck ton more.

This is me.  I ran a sub 20 5K last week.  But, I've actually gained a few pounds since mid-March.  Feel great, but gotta start backing off the drinking.  Been every damn day.

Like many, this has been a nice re-boot for our family.  Spring is usually crammed full of baseball.  I'm still working like normal, but the time back from no baseball is what's made a difference.  We're going for walks in the evening.  Fishing a few times a week.  Swimming with the kids.  

From a work perspective, this has taught me that I can (and should) work from home more.  As a business owner, I've always felt that I need to be present to set a standard of visible leadership.  I was always the first one there and the last one to leave.  That's going to change.  I'm implementing a self-imposed "work from home Wednesday" policy.  It'll be a nice mid-week change of pace.  I can still work a full day, but be around the house and not lose two hours of my day on the road.  

• Like 4

On 5/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, Iceman said:

I have discovered my impulsive consumerism is worse than I thought.  Besides making it a point to frequent a number of mom& pop restaurants During CV-19 and buying normal groceries and booze; I haven’t spent shit relative to what I normally do.  For the first time I can recall, wife tells me Sunday to get all of the extra money out of checking that has accumulated and put it in savings.   It was a strange conversation.

I have made it a point to call my brothers every week.  My mom is more often than that.  Have called and had grat conversations with long time friends that live away from me, just because I had the time on my hands.  Yesterday I spoke 2 hours with a good buddy from The Woodlands...just because.  Thaat is the most positive win, IMHO.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have a rule or 2 for myself: no gambling online and the only time I really buy stuff online is when we need something for the house or it is something very specific that I want, as opposed to whimsical, impulsive shopping.

I know myself...LOL.  The numbers speak for themselves since we shut down. Your picture is perfect.

Edited by Iceman

Started a new job this week which has made me happier than anything.

It's totally new territory, and starting remotely is strange. I have to learn a lot before I start contributing so I've laid off the booze during the week. 

The best part is the job I left was a waking nightmare before this shit, and it only got worse.

Freedom!

This three day weekend is gonna get silly.

• Like 2

well, I'm back at work now. But my wife is working from home which pretty nice. What I really enjoyed was during the day at 4:30, I would crack open a beer and watch the baby (1 year old) crawl/walk around her room throwing stuff. 
What were you throwing?

It's totally new territory, and starting remotely is strange. I have to learn a lot before I start contributing so I've laid off the booze during the week. 
The best part is the job I left was a waking nightmare before this shit, and it only got worse.
Freedom!
How big is the new territory? By car/plane?

50 minutes ago, markstanco said:
4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:
Freedom!

Read more  

How big is the new territory? By car/plane?

Haha. I meant completely different territory of IT work than what I've been doing the past 5 years.