I cant believe this song was written and recorded 31 years ago

Bash Riprock

• 2 weeks later...

In an age of debauchery where everything is readily available, there's nothing harder and more idyllic than VU: Run Run Run, Venus in Furs, Heroin. There is still nothing like them.  So far ahead of their time.  I dare anybody try to sneak a viola into a rock band and make something of it.  The only thing I can think of even close would be Roky Erickson with the 13th Floor Elevators and their damn electric jug.   VU was the perfect band if such a thing exists.

Edited by Mdhorn

On 5/20/2020 at 8:34 AM, mr. sunshine said:

Admittedly not the hugest Beach Boys fan but this bad boy is 53 years old and still doesn’t sound like anything else to me. Bonus points for the theremin 

have heard this a million times and yet some part still resonates.  Timeless and Brian Wilson is a damn genius.  

Edited by Mdhorn

On 5/20/2020 at 8:45 AM, Don Johnson said:

Achtung Baby is almost 30 years old and that blows my mind.

It was the last two days of April/first weekend in May of 1992 that I visited a friend at Stanford and the Rodney King LA riots started on a Wednesday night and grew to San Francisco on Thursday and Berkeley on Friday.

My friend was in a fraternity whose "house" was really just a wing of a dorm with a common area and a patio with a ping-pong table.

"Achtung Baby" played over and over at "the house" that weekend. Your post and the riots all across the country really take me back.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:00 AM, NOMAAA said:

yeah.  was really looking forward to that tour. 

Saw the show at Texas Stadium on the second half of that tour. The first half had been in arenas, but support for that album grew and the ol' U2 hysteria came back, so they whipped back through the US and hit stadiums.

I wasn't as gonzo as the Tom Petty concert at the state fair band shell the year before, but I was floating a bit around the floor of Texas Stadium, barely catching glimpses of the belly dancer on stage through the throngs of others standing on their folding chairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

U2 came to fec not long after 9/11 and I really would have liked to have attended that show. 

I saw the November show in Reunion Arena after 9/11 (2001) three observations:

1)  NO DOUBT was the opening act and they couldn't get off the stage fast enough for me. They were painful to have to endure.

2) The lights were up after No Doubt as the stage was being redone and yada-yada-yada. They were playing songs from various artists as you would hear at any concert. And then, randomly, a U2 song started playing over the PA. Lights totally on. The song was "Elevation", from their current album (at that time), so I was thinking "WTF?"

Then the band comes out and gets their instruments with the lights just totally on and then BAM, they pick up right where the song is and the PA version is killed and they're in the middle of their first song of their set.

It was pretty fucking awesome. That was totally a "We're U2... BITCH!" move. Never even heard of a band doing that before, much less had I seen it.

3) During the song "New York", they projected the names of all of the first responders who died that day. (And maybe more, but definitely the first responders.)

• 2 weeks later...
I saw the November show in Reunion Arena after 9/11 (2001) three observations:

1)  NO DOUBT was the opening act and they couldn't get off the stage fast enough for me. They were painful to have to endure.

2) The lights were up after No Doubt as the stage was being redone and yada-yada-yada. They were playing songs from various artists as you would hear at any concert. And then, randomly, a U2 song started playing over the PA. Lights totally on. The song was "Elevation", from their current album (at that time), so I was thinking "WTF?"

Then the band comes out and gets their instruments with the lights just totally on and then BAM, they pick up right where the song is and the PA version is killed and they're in the middle of their first song of their set.

It was pretty fucking awesome. That was totally a "We're U2... BITCH!" move. Never even heard of a band doing that before, much less had I seen it.

3) During the song "New York", they projected the names of all of the first responders who died that day. (And maybe more, but definitely the first responders.)

I was at that Dallas U2 show. It was awesome. The version of Elevation you are looking for that they walked in with is the Influx remix. Blurb of which was also in the Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider flick at the time.

• Like 1