Joe Rogan moves to Spotify for over $100 million

ajax

15 minutes ago, BERT said:

Maybe this will let him go back to doing them live and not have to edit them. Pretty sure YouTube had been clamping down hard the past 2yrs or so. 

Yeah, youtube is doing it's best to commit suicide by pushing out independent creators and forcing Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, and Fox News down our throats. I mean, I have 2 teenagers at home and youtube is on constantly, way more than any network TV. But if youtube starts to become all Jimmy Kimmel, the View, and the Daily Show then I guarantee you my kids and other kids will go somewhere else.

19 minutes ago, BERT said:

Oh and that's a pay article btw. 

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/spotifys-100m-joe-rogan-deal-redefines-its-podcast-strategy-songwriters-and-record-labels-should-be-watching-closely/

Here's a link to a free one. There's another article that says the $100 million is a bargain, but it's behind a paywall. For the life of me I can't figure out how unless they sell a shit ton of ads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t Spotify. I don’t Rogan. So I won’t be watching/listening to rogen on Spotify. Am I that unusual?

Not that unusual, but I find pretty much all podcasts to be boring as fuck. Why would I listen to a couple people drone on for hours about anything. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not that unusual, but I find pretty much all podcasts to be boring as fuck. Why would I listen to a couple people drone on for hours about anything. 

So you missed Rogan's extravaganza on the Yankees and RGV high school football?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes but they can be influenced.  This much money and zero influence?  

It’s not hard to imagine, since Rogan has zero real need for this deal. He made $30M in 2018 with his previous deal. I assume that this $100M is for 2 years?

My main point is that $30M-50M/year is “fuck you” money.

Its exclusive rights to 190M downloads/month. Spotify will take with little need for interference.

spotify went from $160 to $180 a share, their market cap went from $30 Billion to $35 billion

nice to trade $100 million to $5 billion

Literally millions of people that did not have spotify will now install it just to listen to Joe, they are going to be ok.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, blacklab said:

spotify went from $160 to $180 a share, their market cap went from $30 Billion to $35 billion

nice to trade $100 million to $5 billion

Literally millions of people that did not have spotify will now install it just to listen to Joe, they are going to be ok.

Maybe I’m in the extreme minority, but I’m a casual Rogan listener. I’ll listen from time to time depending on the guests that he has on. I do really enjoy his podcast, but it’s hit or miss with the guests he has on IMO. But I automatically download his podcast (like most) so that counts for his numbers.

I use apple music and pandora for the vast majority of my music. I use apple podcast for my podcast. I use YouTube for all of the above. I’m not paying for premium Spotify because of Joe Rogan. Am i crazy. I feel once it’s exclusive, in probably out. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

spotify isn't going to charge for it, it's going to be a free offering

I see. Everyone that I know who has Spotify has Spotify premium so they can download and/or listen to podcasts while they aren’t connected to WiFi (and for the ads). I usually listen to Rogan when I’m driving, or at work. Both places where I wouldn’t be able to have WiFi. If I can download Spotify and listen for free in the scenarios above, then I’m in.

I like browsing through his clips.  Sometimes I will listen to the whole thing if it is a guest I'm interested in.

Hopefully, Spotify will start a video service also since they will be hosting video podcasts.

Would be nice to get away from Youtube

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I see. Everyone that I know who has Spotify has Spotify premium so they can download and/or listen to podcasts while they aren’t connected to WiFi (and for the ads). I usually listen to Rogan when I’m driving, or at work. Both places where I wouldn’t be able to have WiFi. If I can download Spotify and listen for free in the scenarios above, then I’m in.

You can download podcasts on mobile apps with Spotify Free. 

I like browsing through his clips.  Sometimes I will listen to the whole thing if it is a guest I'm interested in.
Hopefully, Spotify will start a video service also since they will be hosting video podcasts.

Seeing the people talk is much easier for me to focus on the podcast. I watch his podcast on YouTube but I can’t get into just listening to it.

15 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I wonder if this means that he will let spotify have influence on show guests and content.  Is that what they just bought?  

I think it's similar to Howard Stern going to Sirius. They won't change anything (yes debate away on Howard) they just want the exclusive rights. He had over 190 million downloads in April, in the podcast world he is the king. 

It's about branding and for Spotify trying to get Rogan's fans to switch from Apple (where most people listen) to Spotify.

They bought a talent that they hope bring more people to their service. They also bought the Ringer (Bill Simmons company) which has podcasts, video, blogs, etc. 

It's where new media is going.  

4 hours ago, BNB said:

That is 100% in their plan. 

4 hours ago, BNB said:

i just had a groovering commercial that i've never seen before come on youtube and guess who the pitchman was...

24 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

They also bought the Ringer (Bill Simmons company) which has podcasts, video, blogs, etc. 

It's where new media is going.  

Holy shit. Just looked it up. $250 million. And one of the most amazing things, to me, about the Rogan deal is that Rogan retains all rights to his intellectual property. Prob same with Simmons too. It's like the opposite of the music industry where the record company owns rights to recordings (and with more zeros).

Just now, ajax said:

Holy shit. Just looked it up. $250 million. And one of the most amazing things, to me, about the Rogan deal is that Rogan retains all rights to his intellectual property. Prob same with Simmons too. It's like the opposite of the music industry where the record company owns rights to recordings (and with more zeros).

Correct. I think it really is just a bigger play for Spotify to beat the shit out of Apple and become the Netflix of the podcast world. They want to create their own content instead of just being a vessel where people can find shows they like. 

It will be interesting to see if those exclusive deals move the needle and get people to stop using Apple because their favorite show isn't on it anymore. 

I really liked picking up just about any podcast on my regular podcast app (pocketcasts).  It seems like that concept is going the way of 8 track tapes.

I only listen to Rogan with certain people/subjects.  Listening to his 8 hour podcasts is otherwise a beating.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

Rogan gets the best guests in the world. And metric fucktons of people listen. 

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t Spotify. I don’t Rogan. So I won’t be watching/listening to rogen on Spotify. Am I that unusual?

The Joe Rogan show...isn't actually about Joe Rogan. 

He attracts a pretty insane guest roster from politicians to business leaders to athletes.  And the format allows these people to express way more than they do in a typical TV appearance e.g. tiny soundbites from a press conference.

It's not easy to go through a full sitting.  But the beauty of podcasts is (1) doesn't require visual attention and (2) can be played back at fast speed.

When I'm in a car, taking public transport, walking my dog, having a shower, whatever, I just play that shit back at 1.5x

Like I didn't think much of Jack Dorsey the Twitter CEO, but after listening to his interview he's a pretty thoughtful and sharp dude in a stoner-philosopher kind of way

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

16 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Rogan gets the best guests in the world. And metric fucktons of people listen. 

I will never understand the "it's too long" view of podcasts. 

1. There are a shit ton of podcasts that are 15-30 minutes (or less) and plenty longer for those who like a guest or topic

2. Most podcasts have guides of when guests are on or they are talking about a topic that might interest you. So you know you don't have to "listen to a couple of people drone on for hours" 

3. There is like a million different podcast so you can really find any topic you could possibly ever want to listen to

4. Like it or not it's not going anywhere and is only going to become more popular

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

I will never understand the "it's too long" view of podcasts. 

1. There are a shit ton of podcasts that are 15-30 minutes (or less) and plenty longer for those who like a guest or topic

2. Most podcasts have guides of when guests are on or they are talking about a topic that might interest you. So you know you don't have to "listen to a couple of people drone on for hours" 

3. There is like a million different podcast so you can really find any topic you could possibly ever want to listen to

4. Like it or not it's not going anywhere and is only going to become more popular

That’s all great. My point was I find podcasts to be incredibly boring. As in that’s how I myself feel about them. Not sure why that offends you so much. I would just much rather watch or actually do something. 

Not that it matters to us, but obviously this $100m is conditional on a certain audience level and that might very well require huge growth to get to $100m. I originally assumed this was a buy-out like with Spotify buying Ringer but it's only a exclusive agreement.

Youtube has over 2b monthly users where Spotify is 300m. Lowering the audience size by a factor of 10 will greatly reduce his new audience acquisition. I watch his video clips if I'm interested in the guest but its doubtful I will go search him out now.

If his clips leave youtube, I will most likely forget about him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s all great. My point was I find podcasts to be incredibly boring. As in that’s how I myself feel about them. Not sure why that offends you so much. I would just much rather watch or actually do something. 

You can watch JRE. Looky there, i just solved your problem. 

I really liked picking up just about any podcast on my regular podcast app (pocketcasts).  It seems like that concept is going the way of 8 track tapes.
I only listen to Rogan with certain people/subjects.  Listening to his 8 hour podcasts is otherwise a beating.

Yeah it seems like podcasting is going the way of video streaming platforms - you’ll have to subscribe to five or six different platforms to have access to everything you like.

I have never listened to Joe Rogan and have no plans to but I listen to multiple different podcasts from multiple publishers all the time. I like being able to access them all on one app.

Not looking forward to having to have eight different podcast apps.

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

The appeal of podcasts is that it doesn't require active visual attention.  You could consume information (same reason you read articles, visit websites, watch videos) in all time between your being able to watch something.  That's why it's also so lucrative.  And with the low barrier entry to creating content, theres something for every topic that you watch about or do - fishing, investing, pegging, etc

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah it seems like podcasting is going the way of video streaming platforms - you’ll have to subscribe to five or six different platforms to have access to everything you like.

I have never listened to Joe Rogan and have no plans to but I listen to multiple different podcasts from multiple publishers all the time. I like being able to access them all on one app.

I have one I'm listening to right now that all episode were released at one time on Spotify and the episodes are released weekly on other platforms.  That's better than only Spotify.   

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Sadly it's the cutting the cord of the "radio/podcast world" 

Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Apple +, Disney +, Youtube TV, etc.

I also thing most will start doing videos of their shows as well some already have. 

I have one I'm listening to right now that all episode were released at one time on Spotify and the episodes are released weekly on other platforms.  That's better than only Spotify.   

“Wind of Change”?

I binged that all in one day doing yard work. Absolutely loved it.