Had a stroke s***** thing that happened especially during this pandemic

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

Today was the 6 month anniversary of my released from rehab I drove myself to HEB this morning ended my own shopping was able to bring everything inside but a case of orzarka

still have a long way to go but I am headed the right direction

I missed this whole thread.  I'm rooting for you, glad to hear you're mobile and can handle those daily tasks.  What a hill to climb.

I'm so glad to hear of your progress. My wife has a brain injury from a car wreck 30 years ago. She spent a couple weeks in a coma, had to re-learn to walk and get around by herself, was in physical therapy for 6 months. I saw firsthand how slow this can be to get those skills back. I also saw that if a person was determined to get after it and work hard they could overcome a lot of the damage that was done. If you didn't know her before the wreck you would never guess she had one .  It sounds like you have that perseverance. I've been pulling for you. Keep up the good work.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'm so glad to hear of your progress. My wife has a brain injury from a car wreck 30 years ago. She spent a couple weeks in a coma, had to re-learn to walk and get around by herself, was in physical therapy for 6 months. I saw firsthand how slow this can be to get those skills back. I also saw that if a person was determined to get after it and work hard they could overcome a lot of the damage that was done. If you didn't know her before the wreck you would never guess she had one .  It sounds like you have that perseverance. I've been pulling for you. Keep up the good work.

my challenge is I have no therapy assistance, since I choose to have this stroke when I had no insurance . So Im doing this on my own. I have gotten the strength coach at Rice to chime in on a view video i send him, but its tough without guidance and encouragement would be nice

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

my challenge is I have no therapy assistance, since I choose to have this stroke when I had no insurance . So Im doing this on my own. I have gotten the strength coach at Rice to chime in on a view video i send him, but its tough without guidance and encouragement would be nice

Dammit, Dude. I had forgotten about the insurance. The drills that my wife did were pretty basic stretches and walking with a walker or assistance. They had her do lots of workouts with elastic bands and light weights. After she came home she continued this on her own using soup cans for weights while walking up and down our rural road. Stairs were difficult for a long time because her balance had been affected so she did a lot of standing on one leg and trying to improve her balance. The PT facility didn't really use any sophisticated equipment for her therapy. I will bet that an internet search could yield some exercises to target your deficiencies. Somehow you need to get a program for things that you can do on your own and we will cheer you along.

The other thing that she still does is word puzzles of all types. Crosswords, wordsearch, jumbles, you name it. We do jigsaw puzzles all winter to help with cognition. She tries to keep her brain challenged and I'm convinced that it really helps.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Dammit, Dude. I had forgotten about the insurance. The drills that my wife did were pretty basic stretches and walking with a walker or assistance. They had her do lots of workouts with elastic bands and light weights. After she came home she continued this on her own using soup cans for weights while walking up and down our rural road. Stairs were difficult for a long time because her balance had been affected so she did a lot of standing on one leg and trying to improve her balance. The PT facility didn't really use any sophisticated equipment for her therapy. I will bet that an internet search could yield some exercises to target your deficiencies. Somehow you need to get a program for things that you can do on your own and we will cheer you along.

The other thing that she still does is word puzzles of all types. Crosswords, wordsearch, jumbles, you name it. We do jigsaw puzzles all winter to help with cognition. She tries to keep her brain challenged and I'm convinced that it really helps.

Owl is, glad to hear you’re getting around well.  Aside from the mental puzzles Shox mentioned, a couple of rehab people that worked with my dad said one great thing for home therapy is to buy a Wii.  With the Wii Fit board, the patient could have a walker with them while using the board, and the games do all kinds of balance drills, endurance exercises by themselves and still be relatively safe.  And have fun.  Plus the tennis, bowling, archery etc work hand/eye coordination.  I thought that was a fantastic idea.  If you want one I’m sure us surly folks would get it done.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The Wii idea is a new one oddly enough out of all the free advice I've gotten that one appealed to me.

And the YouTube idea is a good idea where I'm stuck is some specific exercises that would target the muscles I'm not working I mean I know we all remember this from basic biology and kinesiology but there are so many muscles in the body and I'm trying to spark every single one of them to come to life and I think I'm missing specific exercises that can help with the muscles that aren't working my advice and all this is don't have a stroke when you don't have insurance in the middle of a pandemic that limit group classes that are cheap and therapists are hesitant to come to your residence without it being officially with their company which charges boatloads of money

Your case sounds similar to a friend of mine. He had a stroke out of the blue a couple of years ago. He was a little older than you, and was an on and off smoker. He went from being bed ridden to being pretty much self sufficient. He still can't climb ladders due to some lingering balance issues, but he's back to installing floors and such. He also moves a little slower and more carefully than he used to, but if you just saw him in the grocery store, you would never know.

He also didn't have insurance. He and his wife pretty much figured out the therapy on their own.

Have faith, do the therapy, and keep living.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

It was good to meet Owlvis. He has an impressive Houston sports memorabilia collection /no homo. I hope that the Wii helps him out in his recovery and I hope he continues to improve. After spending just that short amount of time with him, I have no doubts he will continue to kick this strokes ass!

There was a moment...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Hey Owl,

I missed this one too. Are you in Houston? My wife runs ATI physical therapy for Texas. They dont have an PT offices in Houston but perhaps they could do tele-PT. If cost is a concern, they have options for people without insurance including gratis. Let me know if you want to discuss.

@OWLVIS

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry you are having to go through all this, but the fantastic news is that you are making progress!  It seems to me that the folks that recover the best simply continue on with the physical therapy regimen they are given as a daily exercise routine from this point on.  Shit I'm about to turn 60 and have been pretty bullet proof thus far, but stroke or heart attack are the "out of the blue" killers.   The key is slow steady progress, and it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.

Just keep it up, we're rooting for you!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, OWLVIS said:

THANKS Hate stopped by last night and was gracious enough to not only bring an extensive Wii collection but also took  the time  to visit with this shut in. We got to talk sports memories and Shaggy (RIP) memories. 

Y'all are good people.

Hey Owlvis, were you by chance in the MOB?  

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Just finding this thread now. Glad you are making progress.

I know nothing about the kind of PT you need, but I’m just curious, can you swim? I always heard that works all muscles.

I can swim but the management of the complex locked the pool in June til Oct due to COVID. bastards wouldn't let me inside the office to talk about. Made me wait outside in 100 degrees and on top of that took months to respond.. Im sure that was against the law

7 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

The Rice community has helped, Athletic Dept. sent me some swag   ,referral to neurologist .  Texans as a whole are good folk,

Rice people are pretty cool.  My grandmother was one of the first female grads, then my dad, his cousin and my sister all went there.  Dad went on to UT for grad school and taught here but always considered himself an Owl.  

26 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Rice people are pretty cool.  My grandmother was one of the first female grads, then my dad, his cousin and my sister all went there.  Dad went on to UT for grad school and taught here but always considered himself an Owl.  

I know quite a few Alums that went to Texas, none that went on to a&m. Or God forbid ou sucks.

And 'Horns always had a great sense of humor(The MOB) aggies not so much.

But then again stoner hippies don't take a lot of things too serious.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to hear.

My wife received a letter from SSA yesterday that informed her that she was no longer disabled. It really brightened her day. Because of her 66th birthday, she is now "retired". I was amused at her reaction but I guess I never realized the way that her "disability" colored her outlook. Her comment to me was that after 35 years she is a normie again. Her progress was so slow  but steady that I forget sometimes just how far she has come.

Keep up the work, it does get better. I'm pulling for you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Good to hear.

My wife received a letter from SSA yesterday that informed her that she was no longer disabled. It really brightened her day. Because of her 66th birthday, she is now "retired". I was amused at her reaction but I guess I never realized the way that her "disability" colored her outlook. Her comment to me was that after 35 years she is a normie again. Her progress was so slow  but steady that I forget sometimes just how far she has come.

Keep up the work, it does get better. I'm pulling for you.

thank you that got me in the feels.. yeah I dont like being handicapped , its not who I am

that is kinda what prompted the cyber revenge question some a-hole is waging a FB campaign calling for removing me from a politicly influencer FB page a small unimportant thing but he's obsessed.

its been texts,calls blocked the number he borrows a phone and keeps at it.   and of course all over Social Media

i told him where i would be, live in person  if he wanted to kick my ass,,,, he didnt show  ( he said he was concerned about covid)i told him i may be handicapped right now but id still kick his ass if he wanted to go

so his next call i just calling him a pussy over and over again,,, them he asks me if trump is a pussy ,,goading me

and I said yeah trumps a pussy and you're a pussy,,, now he's telling everyone I'm a never trumper and that gets a whole new kinda  crazy after me on FB

hes threated me with violence and ruination because  he thinks can do whatever he wants to a cripple as if Im defenseless

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Report him to the PD for harassment or get some pipe swinging big dick energy guys to fix the problem for you.  

well, its being dealt with for the long term ,but he still thinks he can get away with for now  so he is keeping at it in the short term