"Women shall not lead prayer at city council meetings"

HOOK'EMHOOAH

Im gonna just jump right off and ask why in the fuck is a governmental organization holding prayer to begin with?

People gonna people. Stupid gonna stupid. Digress.

Eric Hogue, city councilman of Wylie, Texas, has decried that women shall not lead the opening prayer of their meetings. He has cited the new testament of the bible as his reasoning for this.

This speaks volumes about a lot of things. He may want his wife and daughters to never be able to speak or think for themselves, but ill be damned if I let that be the kind of life my daughter experiences.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

After we resolve this touchy gender issue, can we finally address getting some Muslim prayer's up in the hizzy? 

If we do one, we need to do them all, right? Fair is fair after all.

Personally I can't wait until we get to the concept of polytheism and have to include payers to every god that's ever been thought of.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Im gonna just jump right off and ask why in the fuck is a governmental organization holding prayer to begin with?

People gonna people. Stupid gonna stupid. Digress.

Eric Hogue, city councilman of Wylie, Texas, has decried that women shall not lead the opening prayer of their meetings. He has cited the new testament of the bible as his reasoning for this.

This speaks volumes about a lot of things. He may want his wife and daughters to never be able to speak or think for themselves, but ill be damned if I let that be the kind of life my daughter experiences.

Got to love it when a guy takes a verse about something happening "in church" and applies to to "in this town hall room." Hogue is wrong here. Obviously. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

After we resolve this touchy gender issue, can we finally address getting some Muslim prayers up in the hizzy? 

Yes, but invite the children's choir.

Video of children in Philadelphia Muslim Society: 'We will chop off their heads' for Allah

"Woe unto ye filthy corrupt councilmembers

We will chop off your pet's heads and bind your feet with their flea collars

The eyeballs of your infidel grandspawns will be fed to catfish trolling the bottom of Lake Lavon

You bribe taking falafel deniers will be servants of the Grand Caliphate of the West."

Would definitely liven things up.

52 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Personally I can't wait until we get to the concept of polytheism and have to include payers to every god that's ever been thought of.

It always pisses me off when they play the Canadian national anthem because Toronto is in town.

2 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

what about the god of skinny punks?

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 5/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Can we get threads on every idiotic thing said by a city councilman?  Bandwith is cheap these days.

I don't give a shit about eric hogue or his backward ideas and bigotry. I don't really give a shit who speaks to anyone else's imaginary friend. 

I DO give a shit when the people that do so are in control of anything. There are so many layers involved in what is fucking wrong in everything going on with this entire enterprise.so fucking bandwidth isn't really at issue. But by all means, you do you bro.

Agreed, the guy sucks, and hopefully removed soon. What’s next? 

On 5/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Can we get threads on every idiotic thing said by a city councilman?  Bandwith is cheap these days.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, workswithseed said:

This is pretty much a non issue if I ever heard of one.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Agreed, the guy sucks, and hopefully removed soon. What’s next? 

It's a non-issue... except that it is one.

Maybe the guy was trying to establish how fundamentally wrong the bible is for claiming that women shouldn't speak.im not wiling to give that much credit though. Perhaps instead he should've started with the abomination of slavery and its sanction in the same bible that claims women shouldn't speak in church but seek guidance from their husband at home.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:06 PM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

We have a dude at work who thinks it's so meaningful to say a (Christian) prayer of blessing before we have lunch at our monthly meetings( that is, until Covid.)   I asked him how much he would would rejoice when our Muslim guy wants us to all join in and do his prayers, or one of the  Jewish guys asks why we're praying in jesus' name...

It gets all quiet and shit.

I'm cool with a moment of silence.  Everyone call for blessings and give thanks to the god of their choice.  One of em has to be the right one, correct?

Edited by Iceman

9 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Maybe the guy was trying to establish how fundamentally wrong the bible is for claiming that women shouldn't speak.

There are scriptures that can be interpreted to limit women’s participation in worship.   There are also scriptures that can be interpreted to allow women to participate fully in all aspects of worship.  The most often cited scriptures on both sides of this issue were written by the same biblical author.  Most scholars view the positive scriptures that allow complete participation as generally applicable instruction while the more restrictive scriptures were written to address a specific challenge faced by a specific group of people at a specific time.  

Point is... those who want to twist scripture for their own oppressive purposes can do so  That’s not a problem with the Bible.  It’s a problem with the person. 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 6:06 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I don't give a shit about eric hogue or his backward ideas and bigotry. I don't really give a shit who speaks to anyone else's imaginary friend. 

I DO give a shit when the people that do so are in control of anything. There are so many layers involved in what is fucking wrong in everything going on with this entire enterprise.so fucking bandwidth isn't really at issue. But by all means, you do you bro.

I agree he’s a backwards moron. But some of the worlds largest religions don’t let women lead services. I was raised Catholic and they still adhere to this. The whole system of organized religion is a mess which is a big reason why I’m atheist.

• Like 1

My wife is a minister and theologian.  I regularly cite the book of Timothy to her:

11 A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

She is never amused.  But I am.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

I agree he’s a backwards moron. But some of the worlds largest religions don’t let women lead services. I was raised Catholic and they still adhere to this. The whole system of organized religion is a mess which is a big reason why I’m atheist.

Catholics don't let women into their leadership because they probably would instantly blow the whistle on the kiddy diddlers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

The fact that a prayer is being used to open a government function is much more troubling than the notion that a fundamentalist Christian is a misogynist.  There's no surprise there, is there?

Wait till you find out about sessions of Congress.

If I had the time, I would attend their city council meetings wearing a collander on my head (vs. as a codpiece) & they couldn't stop me.

R'amen.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

There are scriptures that can be interpreted to limit women’s participation in worship.   There are also scriptures that can be interpreted to allow women to participate fully in all aspects of worship.  The most often cited scriptures on both sides of this issue were written by the same biblical author.  Most scholars view the positive scriptures that allow complete participation as generally applicable instruction while the more restrictive scriptures were written to address a specific challenge faced by a specific group of people at a specific time.    

Point is... those who want to twist scripture for their own oppressive purposes can do so  That’s not a problem with the Bible.  It’s a problem with the person. 

Are you a woman? 

Because if you are, the bible says you aren't supposed to teach me 'cause I'm a man.

ETA: See Brisket's post above.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk