"Women shall not lead prayer at city council meetings"

HOOK'EMHOOAH

On 5/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, Guadaloopy said:

There are scriptures that can be interpreted to limit women’s participation in worship.   There are also scriptures that can be interpreted to allow women to participate fully in all aspects of worship.  The most often cited scriptures on both sides of this issue were written by the same biblical author.  Most scholars view the positive scriptures that allow complete participation as generally applicable instruction while the more restrictive scriptures were written to address a specific challenge faced by a specific group of people at a specific time.  

Point is... those who want to twist scripture for their own oppressive purposes can do so  That’s not a problem with the Bible.  It’s a problem with the person. 

The words are perfect. The interpretation is wrong. I’m going to go let the Supreme Court know. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Wait till you find out about sessions of Congress.

Oh I'm aware.  I was just commenting on which of those two issues is of larger concern.  A fundamentalist bubba in rural Texas thinking women should shut up and cook is just bubba doing what bubba do.  Fundamentalist nutjobs trying to unduly influence government at any level is always a problem.  

On 5/23/2020 at 6:06 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I don't give a shit about eric hogue or his backward ideas and bigotry. I don't really give a shit who speaks to anyone else's imaginary friend

I DO give a shit when the people that do so are in control of anything. There are so many layers involved in what is fucking wrong in everything going on with this entire enterprise.so fucking bandwidth isn't really at issue. But by all means, you do you bro.

5 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Oh I'm aware.  I was just commenting on which of those two issues is of larger concern.  A fundamentalist bubba in rural Texas thinking women should shut up and cook is just bubba doing what bubba do.  Fundamentalist nutjobs trying to unduly influence government at any level is always a problem.  

Is there more to this story than just a prayer?

Dudes. He’s totally justified. Eve = original sin. Forget that Cain killed Abel (while murder is bad...) she ate the apple. Had she not done so there would be no sin in this world. Like there’d just be a bunch of happy people holding hands and shit. Plus, it’s in the Bible. Even the Old Testament says if someone offers you a decent livestock type animal for your daughter it’s a good trade and you should rejoice and send her on her way. 

All that aside I grew up Church of Christ. Been a Methodist for some time now. Took a history of religion course at UT and found it very enlightening. Especially when it comes down to American religions and how some factions split off simply because they disagreed about whether or not musical instruments should be played in church. 

Guest Lobo

^
excellent points.  The fractures and divisions from early Protestantism and colonialism certainly play a part in not only the history of Christianity but of all western civilization.  But having said that some of the splinters of the last 150 years just in the United States are much much less pronounced.  Some of you particularly here in the south may owe A great deal of your religious upbringing to whether or not your grandparents felt that woodwind instruments Were more religiously appropriate than stringed Instruments.  And don’t even get me started on alcohol consumption.   At least the Mormons are consistent

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

excellent points.  The fractures and divisions from early Protestantism and colonialism certainly play a part in not only the history of Christianity but of all western civilization.  But having said that some of the splinters of the last 150 years just in the United States are much much less pronounced.  Some of you particularly here in the south may owe A great deal of your religious upbringing to whether or not your grandparents felt that woodwind instruments Were more religiously appropriate than stringed Instruments.  And don’t even get me started on alcohol consumption.   At least the Mormons are consistent

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Especially when it comes down to American religions and how some factions split off simply because they disagreed about whether or not musical instruments should be played in church. 

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

Best part of that whole class was when our professor started going into the Lutherans/Baptists/etc... shit. How communion should be done. Stain glass windows and where they should be. The musical instrument part was a huge deal back in the day. Only singing said some. Or maybe a piano. Or an organ. Honestly, I truly believe it went down to olds and how much noise bothered their hearing? I wrote a whole paper on how all that shit went down. It is fascinating the American denominations of religion and why they are what they are and it has little to do with anything other than people’s preferences. It was a great course. I just took it because I was a history major and it seemed interesting. Most of my classes had like 100-500 people in them. This one not so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Dudes. He’s totally justified. Eve = original sin. Forget that Cain killed Abel (while murder is bad...) she ate the apple. Had she not done so there would be no sin in this world. Like there’d just be a bunch of happy people holding hands and shit. Plus, it’s in the Bible. Even the Old Testament says if someone offers you a decent livestock type animal for your daughter it’s a good trade and you should rejoice and send her on her way. 

All that aside I grew up Church of Christ. Been a Methodist for some time now. Took a history of religion course at UT and found it very enlightening. Especially when it comes down to American religions and how some factions split off simply because they disagreed about whether or not musical instruments should be played in church. 

Tempted to offer you a Golden Delicious, but I know what will happen.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RPM said:

26 minutes ago, RPM said:

Exactly.  Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... 

The dead rising from the grave! 

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... 

The dead rising from the grave! 

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! 

You know you want s'mores!

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Best part of that whole class was when our professor started going into the Lutherans/Baptists/etc... shit. How communion should be done. Stain glass windows and where they should be. The musical instrument part was a huge deal back in the day. Only singing said some. Or maybe a piano. Or an organ. Honestly, I truly believe it went down to olds and how much noise bothered their hearing? I wrote a whole paper on how all that shit went down. It is fascinating the American denominations of religion and why they are what they are and it has little to do with anything other than people’s preferences. It was a great course. I just took it because I was a history major and it seemed interesting. Most of my classes had like 100-500 people in them. This one not so much.

And unlike Baptists, Methodists will say "hi" to each other in the liquor store.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And unlike Baptists, Methodists will say "hi" to each other in the liquor store.

The difference between Baptists & Catholics is the Baptists pretend they don't notice each other @ Twin Liquors while the Catholics are running the beer tent @ Founder's Day.