My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

Just now, CooterBrown said:

Have you planned on drugging your kids so you can bang your wife or are you just going to make them wait outside?

I usually send mine to collect firewood!  That takes them at least 10 minutes and I'm only good for 5 these days, so it works out fine.

• Like 1

check out the bunkhouse plans that are out there.  you can have a separate room with a separate door internally and externally for the kiddos.  ours is a toyhauler/bunkhouse set up and we looked at everything.  my gf is an airstreamer and she just couldn't justify them in our situation - 5 people, 3 of whom are teen or preteen.  stepping over kids in the morning and converting living to sleeping, sleeping to living every day for a year will wear hard.  the bunk house models blow all floor plans out of the water with kids.  even the massive motorhomes and the huge fifth wheels that act like a real home wouldn't work as well as a smaller bunkhouse model.  consider.

these RV and trailers are not as expensive as you'd think.  you can get a 1 year old for under $30K on 10 year terms.  rates aren't super low even with great credit BUT the payments are super low.  you can then sell later.  we determined that we break even after 12 months of renting/saving on other vacations and we save money on trips after two summers.  our plan is at least 18 months with this, probably longer.

btw I plan to post pics when we get to CO and share some journeys on that thread.  hope you will too!  would love to find some gems.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

West towards California, hit the Pacific NW, and heading East through Wyoming and the other northernmost states for the summer makes sense. Fall in the Upper NE so you can see the color change. Make your way down through the South in the mid to late Fall.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I haven’t read all of the recommendations here, but Land Between the Lakes would fit your Tennessee criteria. It’s a fantastic park in Western Tennessee and Kentucky. The park is on a peninsula between Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley.

You have to do the Gatlinburg area as well. There are plenty of campgrounds with streams around them and several within walking distance of the main area in Gatlinburg. We used to camp there once a year as kids and we always had a blast. Chattanooga area is also worth a visit with Ruby Falls and several other things to do.

• Like 2

I haven’t done this, but I’ve sure looked at such a journey for just the wife and I (no pics).  First of all, RPM is exactly right-you’re gonna need a bigger truck.  Substantially bigger-those places aren’t all in the flatlands.   Second, Grasshopper, if you think trailer hookups equate to cell service and/or WiFi, you need to get out and explore some-I can show you several nice “campgrounds” with all hookups within 150 miles of Austin with zilch cell service. Nada.  Just wait until New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.  I like your philosophy and your list, but plan this very carefully.

• Like 1

This will very likely be a miserable trip.  Just awful.  And, smelly.  But, at your funeral your kids will be telling everyone, "oh my god, remember when he drove us cross country for six months?!?!" and it will be fondly remembered so you got that going for ya. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Brew said:

You have to do the Gatlinburg area as well. There are plenty of campgrounds with streams around them and several within walking distance of the main area in Gatlinburg. We used to camp there once a year as kids and we always had a blast. Chattanooga area is also worth a visit with Ruby Falls and several other things to do.

Was going to suggest Chattanooga as well. Lots of beautiful places to see in KY and TN. The Biltmore over in Ashville, NC is also incredible and historic.

I think this is an excellent idea and the best opportunity to do it. The way I think about it is: though you may bicker and find it exhausting at times, you're not likely to regret the overall trip, but your're much more likely to look back in 5-10 years and regret not doing it.

If your truck isn't able to haul a decent sized one reliably, I was thinking it might be worth it to buy a good-sized and reliable motorhome (no truck needed, hopefully fewer issues), then sell it when you're done. I can't imagine you'd lose more than 5k in value, but I don't know anything about RVs.

This also reminded me of this article and map of the most efficient road trip to see major US landmarks. It might be helpful for adding some sights to your plan and providing a basis for an efficient route. 

https://www.wideopencountry.com/perfect-travel-route-across-us-according-science/ 

Map-1.jpg 

• Like 2

Does the winter then become too cold?

I guarantee the fall / winter will be colder in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana than the winter in the Northeast.  I would plan to spend late September and October in New England, which is just fantastic.  It will be cool weather, but you also get amazing fall color.

Then gradually work your way south along the Appalachian trail.  Also, that would give some time for the Covid hot spots in the east to die down.  No way would I want to be in DC 6 weeks from now.

I think this would be my route:

Austin --> Santa Fe, NM --> Arizona / Utah Canyons --> Yosemite -->  Northern California --> Oregon Coast --> Olympic NP --> Mt. Rainier NP --> Glacier NP --> Yellowstone NP --> Grand Teton NP --> Rocky Mountain NP --> Northern Wisconsin --> Northern Michigan --> Maine --> Vermont / New Hampshire --> Gettysburg --> Washington DC --> Shenandoah NP --> Smokey Mountains --> Florida Panhandle (Destin?) --> New Orleans --> Austin 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I guarantee the fall / winter will be colder in Wyoming, Colorado and Montana than the winter in the Northeast.  I would plan to spend late September and October in New England, which is just fantastic.  It will be cool weather, but you also get amazing fall color.

Then gradually work your way south along the Appalachian trail.  Also, that would give some time for the Covid hot spots in the east to die down.  No way would I want to be in DC 6 weeks from now.

Austin --> Santa Fe, NM --> Arizona / Utah Canyons --> Yosemite -->  Northern California --> Oregon Coast --> Olympic NP --> Mt. Rainier NP --> Glacier NP --> Yellowstone NP --> Grand Teton NP --> Rocky Mountain NP --> Northern Wisconsin --> Northern Michigan --> Maine --> Vermont / New Hampshire --> Gettysburg --> Washington DC --> Shenandoah NP --> Smokey Mountains --> Florida Panhandle (Destin?) --> New Orleans --> Austin 

That would be a great itinerary if there were no COVID, no lockdowns.  The problem with the highlighted red above , that wulaw already addressed, is that the west coast is likely to be locked down longer than other potential destinations, which is why he put them on the back end.  Context is the key, here.

I think i would break it up into 2-4 week trips after further thought. It keeps the adventure of it, but hopefully kills the monotony of being stuck together. Your somewhat centrally located, so it just adds a day or so back in and out. Go back home for a short period to check on things, reprovision, take care of maintenance issues, lay out the next leg, etc. Your kids are kind of young for the best type of camping where they can go off together and cause trouble.

the west coast is likely to be locked down longer than other potential destinations, which is why he put them on the back end.

Hmmm. I guess it just depends on what "locked down" means.  I would assume there are places you could park an RV along the pacific coast and it would be fine.  Quick check shows Olympic is planning to reopen on June 12 (at the earliest).  I had heard that Mt. Ranier is already partially open.  

Regardless I would much, much rather take my family to a National Park, National Forrest or Wilderness area than Washington DC.  Not a chance I would go to the National Mall to watch the fireworks.  Honestly, I prefer them in small towns anyway.  Places like Ourey, CO are fantastic on July 4th.

I'd take an RV and do just the full Pacific Coast Highway drive starting in San Diego and go all the way up to Vancouver. Hell, mdleast and I were going to hit a baseball game in San Francisco this summer and make our way down the PCH to San Diego to catch a Padres game. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

That is a really solid list. Need to see Niagra falls for the wife for sure. I don’t need to do gulf coast. Been to clear water with wife and been to Panama City with whole fam. Not to say we couldn’t go again, but probably skip that and mix in coastal Carolina instead. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I think i would break it up into 2-4 week trips after further thought. It keeps the adventure of it, but hopefully kills the monotony of being stuck together. Your somewhat centrally located, so it just adds a day or so back in and out. Go back home for a short period to check on things, reprovision, take care of maintenance issues, lay out the next leg, etc. Your kids are kind of young for the best type of camping where they can go off together and cause trouble.

Only problem with that is if you don’t go further than. 400 miles at a time or so, and stay a week where you are at, then you can’t get more than 800 miles away from houston. 

I sprung this on my team at work today and they asked me to commit to being back home at least once a month for 3 days, so I will get a break. Fly back one time per month with one of the kids- they can stay at Grammy and Papas and not school and get a break from their siblings, and I can see some people face to face that it would do well to see face to face occasionally. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'd take an RV and do just the full Pacific Coast Highway drive starting in San Diego and go all the way up to Vancouver. Hell, mdleast and I were going to hit a baseball game in San Francisco this summer and make our way down the PCH to San Diego to catch a Padres game. 

Definitely will do the PCH without a doubt. At least Seattle to San Francisco but probably all the way to whales vagina. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

That's what my parents did, but they started in San Francisco. They had great time.

Older travel trailers:  With the exception of AirStream and a few others, travel trailers are thrown together with particle board, veneer, plastic, thin crappy sheet metal and aluminum.  Running gear (tires, brakes, wheel bearings, springs) needs thoroughly checked out. HVAC and electrical needs checked out. Refrigerator and plumbing and bathroom stuff needs a close look. In wintertime in northern climes need to make sure you have adequate heat underneath to keep from freezing the pipes.  Water leaks, rotted particleboard panels, poor/rotted flooring etc.  We had a 23 foot trailer that was barely big enough for my dad, brother and I to go on a two night fishing trip without killing each other.  That trailer had all the aforementioned issues at one time or other.  I lived in that dadgum thing over the summer before college while I was working in the oil patch.  Kitchen amenities aren’t exactly like what you have at home, so cooking three meals a day for a family of five maybe a challenge. 

Trailer repair at RV centers is stupid expensive so be sure to include some time and money budget for that kind of stuff.  When you’re out on the road and have an issue they kind of have you by the short hairs.  

Otherwise, sounds like a great trip, and I’m always up for an adventure.   Mishaps are all part of the deal, kids will remember the trip the rest of their lives.  

• Like 1

Definitely will do the PCH without a doubt. At least Seattle to San Francisco but probably all the way to whales vagina. 

Seattle to San Fran has some decent stretches especially in OR (the sunset pic below is OR) but it’s the central coast of CA that kills it. From Carmel to Santa Barbara with Big Sur being the best stretch of road possibly anywhere you’ll ever find.  I’d add further that the drive inland from Eureka through Humboldt State Park is one of my favorite places in all of CA. Avenue of the Giants is the road through it, the museum is easy and the hikes too, great for a family. That’s the best of the redwoods forests out there including the largest acreage of ancient redwoods. I’d skip that stretch of PCH 1 and make sure I caught them and that drive. It puts you into Napa and Sonoma and then the Golden Gate and from there it’s not much until you get down to Carmel then you’re back into the PCH mind blowing experience.  Speaking of Eureka, the Humboldt Bay Social Club and Air Strip is an amazing stop. It’s on the Peninsula not sure if they allow RVs but I think there are parks there too if not mistaken. The club isn’t really a club but you can buy oysters to cook there in their fire pits anyway it’s pretty cool on an old WWII airstrip. It’s also about an hour from Humboldt redwoods Forrest/state park so it’s a nice spot to find if you want to time a stop just outside the park.

ccde5619425ea44d14a0c8bd6469010e.jpg

ffb1272ec3fd05caedcccd19b8462d95.jpg

fc15522de1d3741ffd581198d65bf7ee.jpg

You get the point. I could find more. Napa and Sonoma are gorgeous too so consider that as well. Sonoma coast is supposed to be sick as well but I haven’t been yet.

We drove SF to Portland over thanksgiving and no one was out. So Humboldt was all to ourselves. I would be worried about some of the popular places out west during the summer.

• Like 1

Just now, troph said:

Seattle to San Fran has some decent stretches especially in OR but it’s the central coast of CA that kills it. From Carmel to Santa Barbara with Big Sur being the best stretch of road possibly anywhere you’ll ever find.

Agreed. But, I will nominate Alaska past Denali and into anchorage for most beautiful stretch of road I’ve ever been on. Spectacular. 

46 minutes ago, troph said:

Seattle to San Fran has some decent stretches especially in OR (the sunset pic below is OR) but it’s the central coast of CA that kills it. From Carmel to Santa Barbara with Big Sur being the best stretch of road possibly anywhere you’ll ever find.  I’d add further that the drive inland from Eureka through Humboldt State Park is one of my favorite places in all of CA. Avenue of the Giants is the road through it, the museum is easy and the hikes too, great for a family. That’s the best of the redwoods forests out there including the largest acreage of ancient redwoods. I’d skip that stretch of PCH 1 and make sure I caught them and that drive. It puts you into Napa and Sonoma and then the Golden Gate and from there it’s not much until you get down to Carmel then you’re back into the PCH mind blowing experience.  Speaking of Eureka, the Humboldt Bay Social Club and Air Strip is an amazing stop. It’s on the Peninsula not sure if they allow RVs but I think there are parks there too if not mistaken. The club isn’t really a club but you can buy oysters to cook there in their fire pits anyway it’s pretty cool on an old WWII airstrip. It’s also about an hour from Humboldt redwoods Forrest/state park so it’s a nice spot to find if you want to time a stop just outside the park.

ccde5619425ea44d14a0c8bd6469010e.jpg

ffb1272ec3fd05caedcccd19b8462d95.jpg

fc15522de1d3741ffd581198d65bf7ee.jpg

You get the point. I could find more. Napa and Sonoma are gorgeous too so consider that as well. Sonoma coast is supposed to be sick as well but I haven’t been yet.

We drove SF to Portland over thanksgiving and no one was out. So Humboldt was all to ourselves. I would be worried about some of the popular places out west during the summer.

I lived in Napa from 1 years old to 12 more or less. Have family there. Grew up camping in redwoods. Monterrey peninsula definitely on my list as well. 

39 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

My old man pulled a tow behind RV for most of my childhood and iirc he had an aftermarket oil cooler and transmission cooler installed on the Ford Econoline he towed with. Is that sort of thing still necessary?

Can't hurt.....

Sounds awesome.  One tip on fireworks at the Mall:  daughter lived in DC 3+ years, and watched the fireworks every year.  Did it at the Mall one year, and said it was a clusterf***.  She said best view/place is to watch from the Marine Corp Memorial in Arlington (which was actually close to where she lived).  

We did the 4th at West Point one year. Cooler weather, on the Hudson. For my taste, far superior to the gaggles in DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere around Bucksnort, TN when you've been trying to read 2nd Timothy to 3 kids for the 3rd day in a row in a small RV that smells just a bit like ass after a day of worrying about that tire that just doesn't feel right after going six full weeks without sex because the Mrs isn't in the mood you're going to snap and go on a killing spree.

Seriously though, I know the 4th grader is at level with math now but you need to keep up with that (more than personal finance/trip logistics) as math just keeps building. You don't want a kid who is behind at math in 4th/5th grade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

My old man pulled a tow behind RV for most of my childhood and iirc he had an aftermarket oil cooler and transmission cooler installed on the Ford Econoline he towed with. Is that sort of thing still necessary?

/CSB/ It’s a long story but in the early ‘80’s while I was in high school my dad had a 1/2 ton suburban that we pulled the 350 V8 out of, and dropped in a 4 cylinder turbo-diesel. We made it work, and it pulled the trailer ok, but the 40 miles per gallon selling point was really more like 17 mpg.   There were lots of problems with the conversion but low end torque wasn’t one.  A lasting effect of that deal was an overdrive unit that bolted onto the back of the GM transmission.  He kept that thing thru two more suburbans after that. 

Edited by CycleTex87

Ok- so you guys all scared the shit out of me and made me decide I can’t pull off what I wanted to do. So, plan B

https://www.demontrondrv.com/inv/2020-Thor-Motor-Coach-ACE-323-Conroe-M38274/#mainpic

No money down- $93k, financed over 20 years and its $650 a month. 

If I hate it and need to sell it back, looks like maybe I will be able to get 80-85k based upon what I see 2 year old RV’s going for. 

Brand new. Am I getting a deal?  Too much? Better idea? 

I used to have a class C license and drove a bus when I coached soccer in high school. My bet is that it’s easier to drive this rig than it would be to pull a 23 or 30 footer on a trailer behind my truck.

Again, thanks to all you miserable sons of bitches who decided to make me spend an extra $89,000 on this fiasco. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok- so you guys all scared the shit out of me and made me decide I can’t pull off what I wanted to do. So, plan B

https://www.demontrondrv.com/inv/2020-Thor-Motor-Coach-ACE-323-Conroe-M38274/#mainpic

If I hate it and need to sell it back, looks like maybe I will be able to get 80-85k based upon what I see 2 year old RV’s going for. 

I used to have a class C license and drove a bus when I coached soccer in high school. My bet is that it’s easier to drive this rig than it would be to pull a 23 or 30 footer on a trailer behind my truck.

Again, thanks to all you miserable sons of bitches who decided to make me spend an extra $89,000 on this fiasco. 

That thing is nice, but I can't imagine being trapped with my 3 kids in it for a full week, much less 6 months.

Why not just buy one that is 5 years old?  Something like this for $75K:  RV Trader Link

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Make sure to tell your wife you saved 44 grand

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

That thing is nice, but I can't imagine being trapped with my 3 kids in it for a full week, much less 6 months.

Why not just buy one that is 5 years old?  Something like this for $75K:  RV Trader Link

The longer finance terms and lower interest rate on the new vs used, plus the warranty, make it a winner to go new- I think. 

What was encouraging to me though is that means they hold their value pretty well for when I need to get money out. 

On 5/21/2020 at 11:27 PM, Incredulity said:

I am 100% no sarcasm rooting for you.

that said, 

disgonabegood.gif

I'm both super jealous and not jealous at all simultaneously.  I cannot wait to see it unfold.  Wulaw, may e'erything go your way.  But it probably will be a mix. 

• Like 1

Ok- so I’m a big chicken about winding roads up in the mountains. Every time I go to Colorado in a normal car I freak the fuck out going to breckenridge and say never again. Is the a flat road through the Rockies well to the north?  I don’t want to drive a 33 foot rig thru switchbacks at 8 MPH with cars stacked up a mile deep. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok- so I’m a big chicken about winding roads up in the mountains. Every time I go to Colorado in a normal car I freak the fuck out going to breckenridge and say never again. Is the a flat road through the Rockies well to the north?  I don’t want to drive a 33 foot rig thru switchbacks at 8 MPH with cars stacked up a mile deep. 

Friend of mine did a rented 5th wheel all over CO, UT, and NV, etc. during the summer.  He pulled it with a V8 Tahoe 4x4.  He did the trailer brake, transmission cooler, etc.  He made it, but overheats and slow (annoying to other drivers) speeds on grade through CO were rough.  He said it was great, but not without issues.  And this was 3 weeks with no plague. 

27 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Friend of mine did a rented 5th wheel all over CO, UT, and NV, etc. during the summer.  He pulled it with a V8 Tahoe 4x4.  He did the trailer brake, transmission cooler, etc.  He made it, but overheats and slow (annoying to other drivers) speeds on grade through CO were rough.  He said it was great, but not without issues.  And this was 3 weeks with no plague. 

giphy.gif

It was a Blazer not a Tahoe.

hitch-two-jpg.86280

Edited by luke duke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Was just gonna ask if you were skipping Colorado for a reason. Either way, trip sounds awesome and your kids may remember 2020 for the rest of their lives for something other than COVID.

Edited by AngryDragon
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AngryDragon said:

Was just gonna ask if you were skipping Colorado for a reason. Either way, trip sounds awesome and your kids may remember 2020 for the rest of their lives for something other than COVID.

That’s my hope. Also we’ve taken them to Colorado for mountains in the winter and Panama City for beaches in the spring. So they’ve experienced that before. 30 weeks sounds like a lot of time but America is a big fucking country. It might take 30 years to really do it all justice 

Also this was funny exchange with my 7 year old

Walked out of the RV- salesman told me the vehicle was 93k

Son- daddy, we need to buy that right now it’s awesome

me- mommy hasn’t even seen it and that’s a lot of money, we need to think about this

son- it’s not that much, just do more loans

me- don’t you think mommy should see this first and make sure she likes it and thinks it’s a good idea

son- daddy- if you don’t sign the papers right now you are crazy. Just sign the papers and drive this thing home, right now

I’m sort of impressed he knows you have to sign papers for a transaction like this  I’m afraid for his wife if he thinks it’s ok to make 6 figure purchases without consulting her.  His general lack of appreciation for how any decision making should be done and his lack of any impulse control is amusing when it’s not driving me crazy  

• Like 1