My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The longer finance terms and lower interest rate on the new vs used, plus the warranty, make it a winner to go new- I think. 

What was encouraging to me though is that means they hold their value pretty well for when I need to get money out. 

That thing is definitely sweet and I think you're closing in on a really workable solution. I gotta think there would be a used dealership willing to give you similar financing on a gently used one. That would help you avoid the hit in new vs used value but retain most of the reliability. You'd just be renting it for the cost of the interest + (lower) depreciation. I understand not wanting to miss good for great though and think both are reasonable solutions, especially if your wife okays it.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:39 PM, Telegraph_it said:

There are some posters here who took an RV to the Rose Bowl. It didn’t go great. 

Leave a few days for a break down or two. 

I was one of them. 

It was a 35 year old RV. Pretty sure it would have been fine if it was newer one. 

Also that was one of the best trips of my life and wouldn’t trade those memories for anything. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah I need to find a way to get that kid my business card.

I’ve never really talked about what I do other than “help people buy homes” with him, but he listens and apparently picks up on things. 

I had a lady on speaker in my office when he was about 5 telling me she had less than perfect credicks and could I help her. I went through a plan etc. hung up the phone and he said to me 

“daddy- she isn’t going to pay that loan back, is she”

me- I don’t think so son

him- but if you get her a loan you make money, right?

me- yes- I get paid whenever I get someone  a loan

him- then get her a loan anyway. And for a million dollars so you will make more money. 

Me- jaw dropped and shaking head

also- he can give an entire speech now to a first time homebuyers about how to buy a home. 3 C’s, cash, credit and capacity, and then he went into an explanation of all of them. Never told him a thing, just him listening to me in the background have that conversation with enough people while he’s fucking around on his kindle. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Wife is looking used. Trying to make this point to her that if we buy new we take a lot of possible bad outcomes off the table. 

Are you handy?  Pretty much anything that can go wrong with a house or a car can go wrong with an RV, and it might happen when you are 100 miles away from the nearest person capable of fixing it.

• Like 1

If you’re particularly afraid of the virus, I’d hit low infection circuit of Badlands/Mt. Rushmore - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - Glacier/Watertown, then head south through Utah (centrally locating near several N.P.s) down to Grand Canyon. All of those areas have multiple things to keep you busy for days. As awesome as Colorado is, we’ve always found ourselves traveling more frequently between their N.P.s because there isn’t always much of a variety of family things other than hiking. I’d say the same for Glacier, but there is Waterton across the border, and renting a boat for a day on Flathead lake to hike/picnic on Wild Horse Island is a nice diversion (we had the island almost to ourselves in July).

This would be the year to do it because the crowds will be down. We went to Grand Teton and Yellowstone last summer, and I was about to go on a rampage. I most enjoyed my time in the nearby Green Lakes and Wind River Range in-and-around Bridger-Teton N.F. and the N.F. (don’t recall the name) bordering the east side of YNP because no fucking crowds.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Are you handy?  Pretty much anything that can go wrong with a house or a car can go wrong with an RV, and it might happen when you are 100 miles away from the nearest person capable of fixing it.

I don’t own a single tool if that answers that question. That’s why I ant new. Won’t break and if it does it’s under warranty. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

If you’re particularly afraid of the virus, I’d hit low infection circuit of Badlands/Mt. Rushmore - Yellowstone/Grand Teton - Glacier/Watertown, then head south through Utah (centrally locating near several N.P.s) down to Grand Canyon. All of those areas have multiple things to keep you busy for days. As awesome as Colorado is, we’ve always found ourselves traveling more frequently between their N.P.s because there isn’t always much of a variety of family things other than hiking. I’d say the same for Glacier, but there is Waterton across the border, and renting a boat for a day on Flathead lake to hike/picnic on Wild Horse Island is a nice diversion (we had the island almost to ourselves in July).

This would be the year to do it because the crowds will be down. We went to Grand Teton and Yellowstone last summer, and I was about to go on a rampage. I most enjoyed my time in the nearby Green Lakes and Wind River Range in-and-around Bridger-Teton N.F. and the N.F. (don’t recall the name) bordering the east side of YNP because no fucking crowds.

Zero fear of the virus (beyond the effect on the country). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok- so next question:

Do we pull a truck or not. 

I was wondering about that.  If you have zero ability to fix things (not intending to insult, but if you don't have tools . . . ), you're going to need a way to drive your 3 kids to a hotel while your wife waits for the guy driving the Rolls a la The Money Pit to do a mobile repair in BFE (or you could wait for him and send her to a motel with the kids; either way).  Pull a Jeep, and have a mechanic go over it before you leave, because it's likely to be less reliable than the RV).  And it might be time to buy a tool kit and watch some videos about how to fix some of the more common issues with these things.  Some of it is probably pretty easy.  And let your kid negotiate the Jeep purchase.  He sounds like a tenacious little cuss.

For the record:  I have zero RV experience.  But I own a boat, which isn't entirely dissimilar, except you could be stuck in the middle of a lake instead of in the Badlands.  Didn't know how to work on boats when we bought it.  But I know how to work on boats now.  VWs.  Same concept.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok- so next question:

You have to pull a vehicle if you’re planning on doing anything outside the campgrounds. Don’t be that guy rolling through the national parks in his motor home slowing traffic to a standstill at every sharp corner and hill. Everyone hates that guy.

• Like 3

Get a couple hundred thousand mile 01ish F-350.  Get it checked by competent mechanic.

pick up a couple year old Big Horn Fifth Wheel.

you got your moving around vehicle.

Motorhomes are a big problem waiting to happen.

Warranty is cold comfort on your adventure.

• Like 3

Get a couple hundred thousand mile 01ish F-350.  Get it checked by competent mechanic.
pick up a couple year old Big Horn Fifth Wheel.
you got your moving around vehicle.

Motorhomes are a big problem waiting to happen.

Warranty is cold comfort on your adventure.

Palabra....

they make you feel funny in your pants.

7598e86bd7fd5da992b76708e4970c77.jpg
  • Like 2

You have to pull a vehicle if you’re planning on doing anything outside the campgrounds. Don’t be that guy rolling through the national parks in his motor home slowing traffic to a standstill at every sharp corner and hill. Everyone hates that guy.

And the lines this year could be worse. Last summer we did Zion and the motorhomes come damn near close to ruining it.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:23 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Been to Zion once when I was about 10 years old. You are right, absolutely needs to be on the list. Thanks 

Add Bryce Canyon and Arches to the list.  Absolutely beautiful even though they may not fit your 1 week minimum stop.

Damn Wulaw.  This is an ambitious project.  It will either be awesome, or something like a mix of The Mosquito Coast and Captain Fantastic.  FYI, the National Parks service sells a pass that lets you visit all national parks.  If you are going to see them, it might help the budget.  Also, the pass page has a handy link to the parks, so it might help with route planning:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

• Like 1

My mom came over today. She was like, this sounds fun, but maybe you should try renting one for a few weeks to see what you think. 

Afterwards my wife said her sister said the same thing. She was pissed and said,  that’s just loser talk to try to talk us out of this.  We’ve got to be serious and go for it or we might change our minds if it’s easy to get out of it- let fear make our decisions for us  

Ha! My woman. Independently said the same thing as me when I said I’m the type of idiot that has to burn the ship when finding the new world. We met, dated and married in 9 weeks. Everyone thought we were nuts. 11 years and 3 kids later and she’s my best friend. 

Neither of us are actually particularly impulsive people, and my parents and her people actually view us as pretty stable and risk averse- maybe even boring. But when we make up our minds that something is right or necessary for our family it’s on. I love that woman. 

My law school friends wanted to know if this was some Andy Kaufmann bit. Alas, I have not that level of creativity. 

Off to buy the new rig tomorrow, hopefully. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 5

On 5/23/2020 at 8:11 PM, dcbc said:

Friend of mine did a rented 5th wheel all over CO, UT, and NV, etc. during the summer.  He pulled it with a V8 Tahoe 4x4.  He did the trailer brake, transmission cooler, etc.  He made it, but overheats and slow (annoying to other drivers) speeds on grade through CO were rough.  He said it was great, but not without issues.  And this was 3 weeks with no plague. 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:36 PM, luke duke said:

It was a Blazer not a Tahoe.

Wait-- how do you pull a 5th wheel with a Tahoe OR a Blazer?  Did it look like this?

5thwheel2.jpg

17 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok- so next question:

Yeah, if you're going the motorhome route instead of a travel trailer, then you'll need to tow another vehicle behind it.  The RV people call it a "toad" for obvious reasons.  Smaller crossovers or small SUVs, and Jeeps, are pretty common toads.  Not many folks pull a pickup behind a motorhome but I guess it can be done.

We took a motorhome to Colorado one year. Magically broke down on the highway. Wouldn’t accelerate. We coasted to a rest stop gas station and prayed it would work again because we had no idea how to fix it. It wasn’t real prayer more like the fake kind in desperation. I guess we confused him, because after a few hours it worked. Weirdest thing. I’m super leery of making the house and the vehicle one in the same.

I've had 3 life experiences with this type of thing.

First two were just stories from people I knew (one was my BIL) who rented an RV and attempted a week long trip, both to Colorado with the wife and kids.  Both of them ended up cutting their trip short after what a fucking disaster it was.

Third was my father who bought one after he retired.  About a million dollar 45' rig with 4 slides, everything pretty much top of the line.  Wasn't a Prevost, but close...Newmar or Newell maybe?  He kept it about a year.  Lost his ass on the depreciation when he sold it.  Still refers to it as the single-worst financial decision he's ever made.  He and my mom did a few pretty cool trips in it, but after a while, they both just decided it was way more trouble than it was worth.  And he's very handy (grew up on a farm).

I borrowed it once.  Once.  Took it to a lake with wife and 2 kids for 5 days.  Could not fucking wait for that trip to be over and hand those keys back to my dad.  We didn't have any actual mechanical issues in those 5 days, it was just a constant beating.  The tight quarters, the nothing really ever working the way it should, the lack of storage, the always dirty, the always having to set up and tear stuff down...did I mention the tight quarters.

We had my parent's Jeep in tow so that did offer some relief (able to go out to dinner one night, run to the store, etc).  I can't imagine not having a small vehicle in tow for stuff like that.

I grew up on a ranch and have been well versed at pulling large stock trailers pretty much ever since I could drive.  So, this thing shouldn't have been that big of a deal.  But driving it was horribly stressful.  White knuckle most of the time.  And god forbid you get down a road (or parking lot) that's a bit of a tight spot.  You can't just take those things anywhere.  So, again, see note about necessity of tow vehicle.

Also, I remember I about shit my pants when it cost a small mortgage payment just to fill it with diesel before returning it to my dad.  I don't remember the exact amount, but I didn't realize anything other than a jet could cost that much just for fuel.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Intrigued. 

First rule for first timers towing RVs:  don't forget you're towing an RV. 

After that:  get a one ton diesel with a load leveler, become skilled enough at tire changes that a NASCAR pit crew will contact you, get a side out RV, get tools (cordless drills, socket set, etc.), Honda generator for quiet outdoor power, understand how to back in and out of tight places with a trailer attached.  Remember that 5th wheels and bumper pulls are different animals when turning corners and backing up.

Sounds awesome and I hope it turns out so.

19 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I've had 3 life experiences with this type of thing.

First two were just stories from people I knew (one was my BIL) who rented an RV and attempted a week long trip, both to Colorado with the wife and kids.  Both of them ended up cutting their trip short after what a fucking disaster it was.

Third was my father who bought one after he retired.  About a million dollar 45' rig with 4 slides, everything pretty much top of the line.  Wasn't a Prevost, but close...Newmar or Newell maybe?  He kept it about a year.  Lost his ass on the depreciation when he sold it.  Still refers to it as the single-worst financial decision he's ever made.  He and my mom did a few pretty cool trips in it, but after a while, they both just decided it was way more trouble than it was worth.  And he's very handy (grew up on a farm).

I borrowed it once.  Once.  Took it to a lake with wife and 2 kids for 5 days.  Could not fucking wait for that trip to be over and hand those keys back to my dad.  We didn't have any actual mechanical issues in those 5 days, it was just a constant beating.  The tight quarters, the nothing really ever working the way it should, the lack of storage, the always dirty, the always having to set up and tear stuff down...did I mention the tight quarters.

We had my parent's Jeep in tow so that did offer some relief (able to go out to dinner one night, run to the store, etc).  I can't imagine not having a small vehicle in tow for stuff like that.

I grew up on a ranch and have been well versed at pulling large stock trailers pretty much ever since I could drive.  So, this thing shouldn't have been that big of a deal.  But driving it was horribly stressful.  White knuckle most of the time.  And god forbid you get down a road (or parking lot) that's a bit of a tight spot.  You can't just take those things anywhere.  So, again, see note about necessity of tow vehicle.

Also, I remember I about shit my pants when it cost a small mortgage payment just to fill it with diesel before returning it to my dad.  I don't remember the exact amount, but I didn't realize anything other than a jet could cost that much just for fuel.

Good luck!

This is a real ray of sunshine. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Landomatic said:

Yeah, sorry to be a wet blanket.  But, I'd side heavily with your friends and family urging you to try renting one first.

But hey, sometimes you just gotta say fuck it.

I ain’t mad at you brother- I appreciate all input. 

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, sorry to be a wet blanket.  But, I'd side heavily with your friends and family urging you to try renting one first.

But hey, sometimes you just gotta say fuck it.

Yup, and I feel like this is one of those times.  And not JUST because I want to read about the drama, all right here. :)

Some folks have horror stories with RVs.  Some don't.  I've had two different bumper-pull trailers over the past 12 years, and have had nothing but great experiences.  Sure there are some minor inconveniences that occur.  Having a good attitude about it, and cutting yourself some slack, tends to have a really positive effect in turning those inconveniences into a good story.

Don't be too terrified of the stories you hear.  This is supposed to be a Grand Adventure, right?  Never heard of any Grand Adventure that didn't include a few challenges.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2020 at 5:17 PM, royiv said:

When/where do you bang the wife in this scenario? 

On 5/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

In the bed of the truck when the kids are asleep is all I can really come up with. This might be the biggest problem. 

19 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Wife is looking used.

So... problem solved?  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Wait-- how do you pull a 5th wheel with a Tahoe OR a Blazer?  Did it look like this?

5thwheel2.jpg

Sorry.  Not an RV guy.  It was a travel trailer, not a 5th wheel.  Had some length to it though.  I don't know the lingo.  Did fine in the flats.  Rockies were another story.

Edited by dcbc

Filled out the paperwork and put down the deposit to hold it today. I thought it would be like a car and I’d be ready to drive it out but apparently finance going to call me back today or tomorrow. 

We shall see. He didn’t seem to think it was a big deal. 

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Filled out the paperwork and put down the deposit to hold it today. I thought it would be like a car and I’d be ready to drive it out but apparently finance going to call me back today or tomorrow. 

I'm sure it will be fine.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My goodness strong move son. Congrats.

You must have made that RV salesman's month

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

My goodness strong move son. Congrats.

You must have made that RV salesman's month

Freaking rv places are packed. He said (and another guy at another lot verified) that they can’t keep a used one on the lot. 

Wife saw a couple of used ones and turned on her heel. I knew that would happen bus sometimes you got to play out the game so they can figure it out for themselves. 

On 5/23/2020 at 9:44 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Also this was funny exchange with my 7 year old

Walked out of the RV- salesman told me the vehicle was 93k

Son- daddy, we need to buy that right now it’s awesome

me- mommy hasn’t even seen it and that’s a lot of money, we need to think about this

son- it’s not that much, just do more loans

me- don’t you think mommy should see this first and make sure she likes it and thinks it’s a good idea

son- daddy- if you don’t sign the papers right now you are crazy. Just sign the papers and drive this thing home, right now

I’m sort of impressed he knows you have to sign papers for a transaction like this  I’m afraid for his wife if he thinks it’s ok to make 6 figure purchases without consulting her.  His general lack of appreciation for how any decision making should be done and his lack of any impulse control is amusing when it’s not driving me crazy  

One of my best friends wife told us this story about their premarital counseling.  The counselor had each write down On a piece of paper how much they thought it was okay to spend without discussing with the other spouse.  She wrote down $75.  The counselor opened and read hers first.  He wrote down $50k.  In his defense, he does very, very well buying residences and renting them out all over the country.  

• Haha 2

On 5/24/2020 at 1:34 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t own a single tool if that answers that question. That’s why I ant new. Won’t break and if it does it’s under warranty. 

Get some tools and some duct tape.  New RVs need to be used multiple times before you really go far.  Because bugs need to get worked out.  I’d spend multiple nights camping close by to figure out what needs to be fixed.  

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You should put the house on the market today.  Go all in.  Having a Plan B is the best way to sabotage Plan A. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You should put the house on the market today.  Go all in.  Having a Plan B is the best way to sabotage Plan A. 

Keeping the house forever. 6 acres, 3400 square feet, 1500 square foot outbuilding,  unrestricted, swimming pool, 45 minutes from Minute Maid park. They are working on putting 99 in from 59 north to I-10 east and that bad boy gonna be worth 1,000,000 in 15 years, no doubt in my mind. So, we’ve already got it set for our niece and husband to live there. They are good and responsible kids and will keep the place looked after for us. No need to sell